GT 2001 iDrive Team Full Suspension Bike

4.69/5 (32 Reviews)

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2006

Strengths:    Very light, tracks well, comfortable, ...

Weaknesses:    I wish they still made these, I would buy another one.

Bottom Line:
Guess this will be my last review on this bike since the frame cracked. I kind of expected it to happen sooner or later. Wished it was later though.
I got it very cheap on sale. I had heard about cracking frames, but didn't worry, since the price of the parts was less then what I paid for the full bike. So I figured if it cracked or if I didn't like it, I would just buy another frame. I did like it... a lot!!
I still think this was the best bike I ever had. Light as a hardtail, but not as harsh. I replaced it with an Idrive 0.0... Which is an okay trail bike, but not much of a xc racer/marathon bike. Next will probably be a short travel xc bike, or maybe an Epic.

Purchased At:   CRC, Ireland

Similar Products Used:   Too many bikes to list

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2005

Strengths:    Light, comfy

Weaknesses:    Isn't sealed very well around BB area.
They don't make these anymore!

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up. I still love this bike! Definately the best bike I ever had. After 2 years of xc-racing and marathon riding, this bike is still going strong. I did have to replace the main bearings though after 2 years. I should probably replace all the other bearings as well and have the rear shock overhauled. But since they sell these frames very cheap now, it would probably be better to just buy a new frame. I've seen both the Team and Pro frame for under 600 euros. The Team was on sale at a US shop, which isn't very interesting since I live in Europe. So I will probably get the Pro from Europe. If anyone has any info on the quality of the Pro frame, feel free to email me!

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, DT Wheels, Easton, ...

Submitted by Dan "Ger" a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2005

Strengths:    I-Drive unbeatable for cross-country
Incredible climber
Stable at all speeds

Weaknesses:    Not built anymore (New GT is just NOT the same)
Dumb integrated headset design: no longer used on new frames, still able to buy replacement, I haven't had any problems yet but, frankly, am holding my breath.

Bottom Line:
This frame is amazing. It begs to climb!

I rode my first I-drive into the ground; it carried 185 lbs for over 3 years across the best that Monterey and Southern California could throw at it. RIP, the frame finally met it's maker at Snow Summit on the last jump of the day. That trusty steed convinced me to stay GT.

This Team frame is unbelievable; despite having an inch less of rear travel it is even more stable on downhills and is a thrill to ride up or down switchbacks.

I'm now testing it out on muddy Northwest singletrack and have yet to find it's limit. Great geometry is comfortable after hours in the saddle. The I-drive keeps me in the big ring even on crazy rough downhills, pedaling as smoothly as if I was on the road.

I'm concerned about the outdated headset, but it hasn't given me any problems yet.

By this if you love cross-country but want an unbeatable ride that can also handle occasional trips to the ski-slopes for sane downhilling.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail, Capistrano

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Similar Products Used:   2001 I-drive 2.0

Bike Setup:   Avid mechanical discs, XT disc hubs, Syncros bar/stem/seatpost, XT & XTR drivetrain

Submitted by Loehr Young a Cross Country Rider from Athens, GA. USA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2005

Strengths:    Light, Great Geometry, Overall fantastic frame.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I have a 1.0 and a 2.0 I-drive that I have been riding for 3 years and I have to say (how can this be?) the team frame even with less travel is head and shoulders above the other frames, and it is much lighter (like 3 lbs with almost the same parts set up 28+ lbs v/s a little under 25lbs!!!). I guess it must be the rear shock (the 1.0 & 2.0 have rock shox on'm) but this thing feels bottomless and is way more plush. I have about 50 miles of good trail riding on this thing and man it's awesome, climbs like a mountain goat, handles great on fast decents, perfect in tight twisty single track, no real noticeable flex. Even with a short 80mm travel fork (I have Psylo's on the other bikes) this thing is plush and rides awesome. I hope I don't break it! I haven't had any trouble with the other bikes though so I went ahead and got this one when SuperGo dug'm up a few months ago. I am 178 lbs, all around rider (road and MTB), I have to say if you're thinking of getting one of these go for it!

Favorite Trail:   Clemson

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   STS-1000 (98'LTS), 2001 I-Drive 1.0 & 2.0.

Bike Setup:   Skareb Elite 80mm,Manitou QR rear shock,Cane Creek IS-6 headset, EA-70 stem & post, EC-70 bars, Crossmax, Stylo team cranks, X.O set up, 9.0 brakes & levers, Sram pg-990 cassette & pc-99 hollowpin chain.

Submitted by Blake M a Racer from Austin

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2004

Strengths:    Climbs great, light frame.

Weaknesses:    Cable routing sucks

Bottom Line:
I actually own the I-Drive Race. Same frame. Have ridden this frame for about 2.5 years. Going on my 3rd race season. Super fast bike. Comfortable and until recently reliable. The routing for the rear brake cable allows it to catch water, dirt and mud and easily clogs up and make braking difficult. Other than that I had no other problems with the frame. Won the Beginner 19-24 Texas Mtb Championship in Fall '02, and placed 5th in Sport 25-29 in Texas in Spring '03 on this bike.

Now my eccentric bearing and races are shot in the rear triangle (my fault, zero maintenance until now) and I was hoping that someone who had craked their frame in the past and couldn't get it replaced may want to sell their frame or rear triangle to me.

bmarrou@alumni.utexas.net

Favorite Trail:   Emma Long

Similar Products Used:   GT Krakoram, Giant VT-1

Bike Setup:   XT shifters, Carbon LP bar, XTR fr and rr der., XT crank, Crossmax UST....

Submitted by Jonnie Williams a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2004

Strengths:    Very very LIGHT, Nimble and stable, very responsive on all types of trail.

Weaknesses:    The LOW BB yields a pedal knocking experience, even on a large frame.
There are some strange creaking sounds that come from unkown places.

Bottom Line:
It's been one year and 1430 miles of riding on the GT idrive team frame. The frame has no visual signs of fatigue or cracks. I hope if it does Pacific will replace it like they should. This frame was made to race. If you don't race, well...you will want to ride more, you'lll beat all of your freinds up any hill, and have more confidence and stability going down hill. The easton team frame is perfectly light without sacrificing strength. geometry is difficult to get used to, but once you do it will make a mediocre rider scream. Definately pick one up if you find one. I hope GT/ Pacific will develop a new version of this incredible technology and not continue with the discount/ value market strategy. The idrive technology as others have pointed out is the best i have ever ridden for cross country applications. Truly a timeless gem of a frame.

Favorite Trail:   poor farm

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   IDRIVE 2-3-4, blur, scalpel, sugar 1+......etc..

Bike Setup:   frame from supergo and build rest up with; sid team w/remote , xt crank, xtr delraliers and brakes, spinergy m2s, profile carbon bar

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Black Rock, CT

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a followup to some of the posts below -- if your frame creaks like mine did - check the cable braze-on where it leaves the down-tube to go under the BB - my cable-end was simply creaking in it's holder when the susp. went active. A bit of waterproof grease solved it. Just wanted to share the knowledge, as I thought it was the frame linkage at first but was able to solve the problem.

Favorite Trail:   Flume @ Tahoe

Submitted by Barry a Cross Country Rider from Marietta, GA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2003

Weaknesses:    Frame cracked, Pacific Bicycle LLC will not honor warranty

Bottom Line:
Follow-Up: Pacific has changed their warranty policy on GT bicycles manufactured before the buyout. My "lifetime" warranty became 3 years, then 2, then 1, and now no warranty. I understand lifetime warranties are not practical. I also understand Pacific Bicycle LLC is in business to make a profit, I respect that. But to change their policy over and over to avoid legitimate warranty claims is shameful. I was and would have remained a loyal GT customer. A LIFETIME customer. But after this experience I will NEVER purchase any product from a company under the Pacific umbrella! Good luck to the rest of you GT riders.

Submitted by Barry a Cross Country Rider from Marietta, GA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight Frame, Excellent Suspension

Weaknesses:    Welds

Bottom Line:
Bought the frame only, built up the rest. In just under 2 years I have rode 2,000+ cross country miles. No jumps or free ride for me, just beautiful singletrack of North Georgia and Western North Carolina. Then last week I found a major crack in one of the welds of the frame. The crack is located right along the weld line, underneath the rear shock mount and above the eccentric. (e-mail me if you need a more detailed description.) Well I've sent it off to Pacific (who owns GT) for warranty replacement. From the other posts about GT warranty claims I expect a long wait for my replacement frame. Lets hope I get apples for apples as this was their top of the line XC frame. 4 for value as Supergo later reduced the price another $100, 4 overall because other than the cracked frame, this thing climbed, descended and just simply rode better than other bikes I have ridden.

Favorite Trail:   1996 Olympic Course, Conyers, GA

Similar Products Used:   i-Drive 2.0, Sugar 3, NRS 2

Bike Setup:   Full XT drivetrain includind disc brakes, Manitou Black Elite Air Fork, Thomson Seatpost, Easton Carbon bar, Eggbeater pedals

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2003

Strengths:    Light, comfortable, cheap (on sale)

Weaknesses:    Quality of welds

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I've ever had. I was looking at building up a bike, but saw this one on sale. The price of the full bike was less than the prices of the parts, not including the frame. So I thought I would just buy it. If I didn't like it or if the frame cracked, I could just hang it on my bedroom wall and build up another bike with the parts.

But I just love this bike!! It climbs very well and descends even better. It's extremely light, pretty comfortable and quick as hell.

But I don't like the welds. The seatpost weld is very poor, but seems to hold well. I've heard some stories of cracked seatpost welds and am keeping my eye on it. But so far, no problems...

Purchased At:   ChainReactionCycles UK

Similar Products Used:   This is my 6th mountainbike, but my first fully...

Bike Setup:   RS Sid Race, full xtr except for the Hugi 240 hubs, laced to Sun 0degree rims, Easton mag stem en carbon bar.

Submitted by roken a Racer from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2003

Strengths:    Incredibly light, i-Drive perfected, rear lockout, aggressive geometry, stiff but comfortable frame. This is one of those bikes that's at home on nearly any terrain (with a qualified rider, of course). Other racers know -- and respect -- this bike.

Weaknesses:    GT parts are slightly harder to come by since last year's bankruptcy, but if you come across a genuine i-Drive Team that's been well maintained, it's not likely you'll need anything but the basics.

The energy this bike packs can be a bit intimidating for less than qualified pilots -- sort of like a 911 Turbo. Make sure you've done your tooth-grinding somewhere else.

Bottom Line:
This is a rare gem of a mountain bike at any price -- fast, light, agile, adaptive, and just plain fun. For i-Drive skeptics, if GT didn't hold the patent for this design, you'd probably see it on full suspension rigs across the board. The 2001 Team model is firmly established in the ranks of legendary mountain bikes.......5 enthusiastic chilis, and that's AFTER over a year of racing it!

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar 3, Trek 8500

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, cross max UST, etc.

Submitted by Artie a Cross Country Rider from Walnut Creek, Ca USA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Strengths:    I-Drive technology, weight, Fox lock-out and race geometry

Weaknesses:    Creaks a bit at pivot points when fully active...may need bearings looked at?...not a biggie though

Bottom Line:
First full suspension and did lots of research on I-drive before purchase. Friends snickered about GT going under but they were the ones being dropped in the end on their Sugars and Specialized's! Have been on rough trails (Skeggs & Skyline), races (NVDC, Laguna Seca 24hr) sand, rain and mud...still keeps on tickin! Bottom line: GT hit it on the nose with I-drive suspension coupled with low weight and Float lockout...this equates to great race bike for local and 24hr! From the weekend warrior to CC geek...great selection for first time fulls! (Purchase Fox remote when you have the chance for added suspension control!)

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs Point off Skyline

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Sugar 1, Trek 100 and Blur

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Easton EC99 bars, Thompson stem/seat, ASP saddle, CrossMax Tubless W/ Mich's Comp S light, SID race and Fox remote lock-out. Total bike weight of 24lbs @ med frame

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Green Bay, WI

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2003

Strengths:    Eats up bumps - fast! looks great, excellent rear shock

Weaknesses:    tricky setting rear v-brakes on frame - but his is my first full-suspension so it may just be me...

Bottom Line:
This is my first rear suspension bike - I had not been interested in a rear suspension biek as had heard about loss in pedal power and bobbing. I have noticed none of these inthis bike- it just flies. Did the Fat Tire 40 last fall ad it ate up everything. Excellent XC bike (that's all I ride, no big downhills here in WI, and I'm too old for tha kind of riding) I was looking at a stumpjumper fsr, but the gt was much cheaper (due to Supergo's sale) If you can still find this bike and ride XC, grab it.

Similar Products Used:   Fisher hardtail

Submitted by andy duligall a Weekend Warrior from plainfield nj

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2002

Strengths:    pretty light, even with xl frame, love the lock-out rear, narly colors

Weaknesses:    creaks a little (may be me and my setup) - wacky headset - no probs so far....low ground clearance keeps you alert (!) even with max pressure on shock(s)

Bottom Line:
it goes up hills alot better than I do - pretty forgiving, I'm 6'3" and 240 - probably why it creaks ! - went with mavics for strength over lightness - better that my old spins ! - low crank clearance could be helped with a shorter crank-arm - next time !

Favorite Trail:   the rock

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   marin (s)nail trail - tough but slow, antique bianchi anchor/anti-tank weapon

Bike Setup:   all XTR, SID sl, easton carbon seatpost/bars, wtb rocket V ti saddle, mavic crossride wheels

Submitted by Don a Racer from Black Rock, CT

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Strengths:    Incredible upgrade for a former hard-tailer like me. This thing is feather-light, stiff where it should be & soft where it counts. Super flickable on climbs although I'm still getting confident on fast descents. The Fox RLC with lockout is worth it's weight in gold. A steal for the price. Also it came with the integrated headset at no charge.

Weaknesses:    Saw a review below about the lack of shock directions... just go to Fox's website & download them -- http://www.foxracingshox.com/

Bottom Line:
This thing has improved my riding tremendously already in only about 2 months. It's agility is awesome & climbing prowess unbelievable. I can stand up & hammer the pedals & it won't bob or lose a beat. I'm glad pacific snapped up GT, hopefully they'll continue the legacy & this awesome technology.

Favorite Trail:   Trout Brook & Trumbull