GT 2001 iDrive Race Full Suspension Bike

4.45/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by Blake M a Racer from Austin

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2004

Strengths:    Climbs great, light frame

Weaknesses:    Cable routing sucks

Bottom Line:
Have ridden this frame for about 2.5 years. Going on my 3rd race season. Super fast bike. Comfortable and until recently reliable. The routing for the rear brake cable allows it to catch water, dirt and mud and easily clogs up and makes braking difficult. Other than that I had no other problems with the frame. Won the Beginner 19-24 Texas Mtb Championship in Fall '02, and placed 5th in Sport 25-29 in Texas in Spring '03 on this bike.

Now my eccentric bearing and races are shot in the rear triangle (my fault, zero maintenance until now) and I was hoping that someone who had craked their frame in the past and couldn't get it replaced may want to sell their frame or rear triangle to me.

Love this bike and do not want to get rid of it, unless I can get a deal on one of the new XC ID frames I saw at the Texas NORBA National last week in Waco.

bmarrou@alumni.utexas.net

Favorite Trail:   Emma Long

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Gt Karakoram, Giant VT-1

Bike Setup:   XT shifters, Carbon LP bar, XTR fr and rr der., XT crank, Crossmax UST, Hutchinson Pythons Air Lites w/ stans NoTubes.

Submitted by Nuno Brito a Cross Country Rider from Lisbon, Portugal

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2003

Strengths:    Weight
I-drive
Fox Float RC with lockout
Brakes

Weaknesses:    None until now

Bottom Line:
I used to have an old cromoly bicycle with no suspension at all so, it was quite a jump for me to pass from that to the GT I-drive race!

This bicycle realy rocks!

It climbs realy well (almost like a hartail) even without locking the suspension, and if you realy want/need to climb out of the sadle then just lock it and you'll forget it isn't a hardtail. Bobing is something I don't even know what it is! The I-drive realy works as they say, you can pedal full speed ahead over the roughest terrain that you don't notice anything. It's even better that a hardtail!

The Duke Race does its work well although It seems a bit stiff with a very short travel. I'm not able to use the last 20mm of it, I even tried emptying the air chamber but there were always those 20mm out. Anyone noticed this also?

The frame doesn't flex and it corners realy well. The rear suspension eats up all the bounces that you encouter on a XC trip. It is extreamly efficient and fun to ride and to my surprise it is also confortable (SDG Satelite isn't the softest sadle you know!).

The Avid brakes are great. You can easily stop any of the weels with just one finger and you can easily adjust the amout of modulation you want, the feeling you want, lever position, distance between lever and handlebar (usefull if you have small hands), etc. Unless you ride in mud or very wet conditions you will not need discs and even so, the Avid are probably better than most mechanicals.

The Nanoraptors are great for road and hardpack (low rolling resistence) but I don't feel so confident on looser terrain (gravel, some sand) and they're probably terrible in mud. I'm thinking of buying some Panaracer Fire XC Pro's.

The Time pedals could be great if the spring wasn't so strong. I'm 6'7" so I'm not a big guy and the springs are too strong for my which makes it dificult to disengage the pedals. I have fallen too many times in a too short time so I'm switching back to the SPDs I have in the old bike. But if you are a strong/heavy person then these pedals are wonderfull, just stomp on the pedal and it is engaged, no need to search for the right spot to be able to engage.

GT has a weird sizing of their frames: mine is an S which, according to the manual, should be equivalent to a 14.5" - 16" frame but I measured it and it has exatly the same dimensions of the 18" frame of my old bicycle. So be sure to try it first.

This bike is simply fantastic and for the price I paid (bikes are much more expensive here in europe) it is even better! I love this bike!

Keep up the good work GT!

Favorite Trail:   Can't choose one

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycles

Bike Setup:   GT 6061 bouted heat treated full suspension I-drive frame with 3.2" rear travel
RockShox Duke Race fork
Fox Float RC suspension with lockout
Avid Single Digit 7 Ti brakes with Avid Single Digit 7 brake levers
SDG Satelite sadle
Synchros seat post, handlebar and stem (can't remember the models)
Cane Creak IS integrated headset
Time Atac Alium pedals
Mavic X225 rims
WTB Nanoraptor tyres
Shimano LX drive train and levers
Shimano XTR rear derailleur
24.7 lbs (S frame)

Submitted by Doug Wheaton a Cross Country Rider from Cleveland, Ohio , USA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2003

Strengths:    Light, solid suspension, great handling, excellent on climbs.

Weaknesses:    cable routing is all over the place, and if you're new to clipless you can snag the rear brake cable with your left foot and actully activate the brake. This might come in handy one day, but I haven't been able to use it yet. This can be addressed for 25 cents with a plastic cable tie, and learning how to pedal properly.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and plan to upgrade to the team frame soon. This is my first owned full suspension bike and I couldn't be happier with it. I was able to take advantage of the Supergo selloff and consider it a steal. My riding has improved tremendously and I have to give some of the credit to this bike. It handles like a dream and inspires confidence with smooth shifing and strong return on pedal strokes. There may be better bikes on the market but as far as ride quality and dependability I have to say this bike is tops. All you have to do is give it a bath and lube the chain, etc and it will keep on rewarding you with a great ride. I wouldn't recommend this bike to those inclined to freeride, but if XC is your thing this is a great bike to look at.

Favorite Trail:   Vultures Knob

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC, Fisher Sugar

Bike Setup:   Mostly Stock......Thermoplastic bars and Selle Italia Flite TI seat since the old ones got bent on a 20' drop that was
purely unintentional. Tires changed to IRC Mythos....The rest is stock.

Submitted by Chris Bridgeman a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    This bike has a fantastic frame and a tweekable rear shock, handles like a dream and inspires confidence.

Weaknesses:    Syncros stem has an achilles heel having a plastic top cap that fits onto an angled section of tube, meaning you can't put an aftermarket headset bung in the frame. The internal headset is utterly pants, and spoils an otherwise brilliant bike with a lack of tolerance and potential frame wear inside the head tube. This has been dumped by GT on later models, but you can sort of fix it using an azonic headlock and a good stem. Although I'd get a few sets of bearings just in case to make your investment future proof! Anyway at this price ride it till it breaks while you save up for your santa cruz!
You might want to put a shorter stem on unless you're an xc racing whippet as the top tube is quite long.

Bottom Line:
This bike flies through just about anything, looks spangley too!. The learning curve is very easy and I try things wearing spd shoes that I would never of thought of with my scott bike, and would have found myself bolting on the flatties. Using magura discs on the front fork it tends to resonate like a tuning fork under heavy braking, but I've heard this before about the SID XC fork due to its lightweight construction. Over all though you'll find yourself looking for the next hill and grinning for half a day - if you can get one you owe it to yourself! This bike has fantastic suspension and an Easton tubed frame. Its no freerider, but you'll eat up trail miles and have a lot of fun doing it. The only reason its getting clipped a star on the overall rating is the headset issue which causes you to have to check your frame for wear rather than a replacement headset cup on any other bike! grrrr....

Favorite Trail:   Bleak & high up preferably!

Purchased At:   pauls cycles

Similar Products Used:   Scott, Schwinn Rocket 88 stage 2

Bike Setup:   Standard apart from the addition of magura disc brakes and compatible wheelset. Oh and junk the stem and star fangled nut evil, and fit a headlock, you'll thank yourself later....

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2002

Strengths:    Ride
Weight
I like yellow

Weaknesses:    cable routing
chain

Bottom Line:
The bike is a super XC machine. No complaints. The 3.2" travel is plenty for rough and fast trail riding, but the bike shouldn't be considered for freeriding. I've got probably close to 100 rides in with the bike and, given the chance, wouldn't trade for anything else in the $2K price range. I'm 6' w/ 32" inseam and the Large fits just about perfect - I like my bikes slightly on the big side.

I've had lots of maintenance issues, but I don't necessarily blame the bike, certainly not the frame. In one season I replaced:
Cassette (2X)
Chain (2X)
rebuild rear wheel because spokes kept breaking
Deraileurs (3X)
derailer hanger (2X)

The original Shimano chain didn't last 200 miles. the second Sram chain lasted much longer until I got it caught in the I-drive mechanism and really had to yank on it to get it out. After that it broke a couple of times in one day, so I replaced it.

the orinal XTR rear derailer only made it 2 rides until it was destroyed in a crash - can't blame it for that, but I can say that the XT deraileur I replaced it with worked just as well at half the price.

Also, I don't reccomend mixing gripshift with shimano rear deraileurs. The attack shifters are made to mate with Shimano, and they work OK, but it is not nearly as good as a full Sram 9.0sl setup. If you're like me and have to have gripshift, don't be cheap, like me, and try to match up to the shimano. Spend the $ and get the whole SRAM setup.

The very bottome line: I love this bike and would strongly reccomend it to anyone looking for a lightweight XC full suspension bike.

Favorite Trail:   Bergen peak

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, trek, fisher, giant, santa cruz

Bike Setup:   Stock except for switch to grip shift, IRC Mythos tires and XT deraileur.

Submitted by The Duke of Jax a Cross Country Rider from Jacksonville, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2001

Strengths:    i-drive, components (most of them). Efficiency.

Weaknesses:    riser bar

Bottom Line:
Once upon a time there was a kid…… No, actually a grown up man, but he behaves like a kid, living by the rule: "growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional".

One of his hobbies (and he has many, being a pain in the ass for his wife, except for this one, because it's also her hobby) is riding a mountain bike. Now, you don't have mountains in Florida, so correctly speaking it would be cross-country riding. Anyway, this man, ehh....kid.....ehh, man bought his first mountain bike a couple of years ago, being a Trek VRX200. Not a bad machine to start with, is what he thought. After replacing some parts and modifying the rear suspension link system he thought the bike performed pretty good. Most of the time he was riding with his buddy, who owned a hardtail. In the beginning the hardtail smoked him. After the tweaking it was on a parr. Sometimes the hardtail won, other times the full suspension.

OK, you must be thinking now, when does the review for the GT race start? We’re getting close……keep reading.

On a day, when he was riding with his buddy again, he ripped up his rear tire beyond repair. This was the end of the day for him. At least that was before he thought about his wifes bike, a GT i-drive 3.0. The second run he decide to take this GT bike (of course being way to small and short etc for his length and weight). What happend next was beyond …….?…….beyond what? Beyond sex. What happend was unbelieveable. He smoked his buddy, and I mean SMOOOOOKED! This bike handled like a dream. No bobbing under pressure, aggressive cornering…..you mention it. This bike had it, it performed. I was lost, didn’t know what to think. It felt like the first time of having sex. No, better……this must be virual sex. Telling my story at the local bike shop (the guy is spending more time in the bike shop than his wife wants him to, but that’s another story) the sales guy told him he had a good deal for him. Because of the bankruptcy of GT those bike were being dumped. He had a GT i-drive race for sale. Knowing what the i-drive system can do, he bought the bike.

The bike is everything (and even more) of what he expected. This bike performes. It’s very light weight (26 lbs, XL frame), has great components and delivers. It’s steering is very precise. It is so precise that he had to get used to it. Now after learning how to steer again it a matter of point and shoot. The frame is in one word “rock solid” (OK, I know it’s actually 2 words, please forgive me). There’s hardly any flex in the frame, completely opposite of the Trek VRX. The i-drive system is one of the few anti-bob systems that really work. You can hammer down on the pedals and the bike just launches forward. It makes your ride very efficient. Going uphill (yeah, uphill, Florida……you remember? NO mountains!) is also very efficient compared to the Trek VRX. You don’t need the lock-out on the rear shock at all with the i-drive system. Now, there’s probably people (?) out there that will respond to this by telling it is better on steep climbs. Well, you know what? There probably right. I can’t tell because…..you remember…Florida? NO mountains?).

The only thing so far I don’t like (and will be replaced very soon) about this bike is the riser bar. A XC bike needs a flat bar. And a little bit shorter stem maybe, to make the steering a little bit more aggressive.

Resume: this bike, for this money……a life without real sex would be acceptable.

Purchased At:   Bicycles Etc

Similar Products Used:   Trek VRX200

Bike Setup:   standard

Submitted by Jason Richardson a Racer from Nashville, TN

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2001

Strengths:    The whole bike is a great design.

Weaknesses:    Stock Mavic 215 wheelset. Much more attractive with Mavic 517s.

Bottom Line:
The iDrive race is plush on technical downhill, and responsive around tight corners.

Favorite Trail:   Lock 4

Submitted by Mike K a Cross Country Rider from Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, iDrive, rear shock lockout

Weaknesses:    None noted so far!

Bottom Line:
I am writing this review as payback for all the reviews I read which helped me make my decision on my new wheels. Thank you to all nameless reviewers who helped me make my decision… (Do the same after you make your choice!).

So, I am a 40-year-old, 6'2", 225 lb hardtail rider who was getting tired of being dusted going downhill. Forgive me in advance for my long review but I want to give those who are thinking hard about a FS bike as much (non technical)info as possible.

Anyhow… uphill and surface road rides to the trailheads were fine on my hardtail but my good riding buddy would just crush me going down hill. I'd really be on the edge trying to keep up with him and have the scars to show for it. He rides a K2 Proflex 5000 FS MTB. We ride primarily Whiting Ranch (lots of great terrain for all levels of riders) and Santiago Truck Trail and down the Luge (the luge IMO is a very demanding downhill singletrack, rocks, dirt, ruts, twisting winding trail that in many places resembles a very narrow bobsled track with high angled embankments - the luge get it?).

So I get the bug to buy a full-suspension (FS) bike. Now I always research what I buy, in fact I probably research too much. When I get the bug I really get it, I eat sleep and drink what it is I am interested in and I am usually not happy until I get what I want. So I read all I can about FS, trust me I do all the comparisons and read as many reviews as I can. So I decide I like the iDrive technology. Mind you I am not a great biker. I have guys blowing buy me all the time (uphill and downhill) but I like the pain of going uphill and the thrill of a good descent. And I want to get better.

So I demo an iDrive 2.0 from one of the local bike shops. I Take it up to Whiting (the loop from my house is about an hour eight minute ride) and proceed to complete the loop about 5 minutes faster than on my old hardtail. I went over obstacles that I could not do on my hardtail almost effortlessly. I decided the 2.0 was for me. To make sure I rode it for a few more days - great bike!

So I start shopping around for the best deal. I find one for $1499 at Supergo.com, great deal I think, so I decide to visit one of their shops. There is another Bike shop right next to the Fountain Valley Supergo called Bicycle Discovery (no I don't work there). I decide to check it out. They have one for $1449! Great, then I start talking to the shop guy, a streetwise young kid who mostly free rides. They have no 2.0's in an XL frame, sigh. But he points out the "race." Also on sale, $300 more than the 2.0. He pulls it off the rack and we take it and a large frame 2.0 out back. I get on the 2.0 the size seems ok … maybe I can live with it. Then I get on the race and viola, the XL frame fits me like a glove and the bike is noticeably lighter and nimbler. One also sits in a much better aerodynamic position, not nearly as upright as the 2.0. I ride around the lot for a while pondering what to do.

I head back to the computer to do more research. Same iDrive tech, the race has way better parts and appears to be a much better buy (even at $300 more than the 2.0). However, I am concerned with the lower travel of the suspension ~ 3" vs. 4.5" and the lighter (but superior) frame holding up to my weight. But the race's superior parts win out. I buy the race.

So I get it home and head out to the Whiting loop. I lock out the rear shock on my way to the trailhead, a steep but short surface uphill on Glen Ranch road awaits me first, awesome! I glide down from the top and crank on the straight away to the trailhead, no problems. If you ride surface roads to your trailheads don't underestimate the importance of the ride there. I can't wait to blow by a good roadie on the way to the trail.

I get to the trailhead and flip back to FS on the rear shock. I head down a little bumpy decline and pop over a small wooden bridge type thing and onto the trail. Wow, very smooth. I proceed to crank on the trail up to a tricky little incline. I set up for it, slip a little in the sand but recover and just float over the obstacle that I always flail on my hardtail. Great! Next test is a tough hill called Mustard about 8/10 of a mile. The iDrive works flawlessly and I crest the hill winded but happy.

Now the real test... I head down the hill on what is at first a nice wide but fairly steep fire road. The suspension smoothes out all the bumps that left me sore on my hardtail. Then the trial turns into some fun single track with a few challenging ups and downs through creek beds. I am having so much fun I let out a yelp. The single track opens up on to a fire road again and I haul back to the surface road and on home. I get in at the 1 hour 1 minute mark, two minutes faster than the 2.0. I made the right decision!

One last test... I meet my buddy (with the K2) at the trailhead a few days later. Now this guy is a lot lighter than me and recently ran the LA marathon a few months back (so he is in decent shape). He always beats me up and then down the hill. I get up the hill about 20 seconds ahead of him. He is hunched over his handlebars and looks ill. We rest for a few minutes and I let him head down first. I want to see if I can keep up. I have to ride my brakes hard to not run him over. We get to a flatter part and I go by him in a sprint. I get right to the end of the trail and loose my chain off the big ring. I stop put it back on and get to the end of the trail. My bud pulls up behind me a few seconds later looking like he is about to puke. He blames it on the burrito he had for lunch, I smile. He says to me, after catching his breath, let me ride that thing…

Simply put this is a great xc bike. It does it all with no weaknesses, iDrive works wonders with no bob until you need it. Brakes are smart and stop my 225 lb with no hesitation when needed. No problems with stock air shocks, they work wonders for the wrists and back and you can easily adjust their responsiveness and give. Light, great parts and a great value. Highly recommended.

Say "hi" to me when you see a big guy on a "yellow GT race" on the luge!...

Favorite Trail:   Santiago Truck to Luge

Purchased At:   Discovery Bicycle - Fountain Valley

Similar Products Used:   iDrive 2.0

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Scott a Racer from Jacksonville Florida

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2001

Strengths:    Frame- same as the Team
Weight- 25lbs
components, fork, rear shock(lock out is a plus),

Weaknesses:    Being a lighter rider at 145lbs, the syncrose stuff never bothered me too much. Although, the stem is starting to creak noticeably on my 4000. I had to get rid of the Nano raptors though. I had a flat on my first ride which was on the road. I did not feel that they had an aggressive enough tread for xc-racing, and was afraid of getting flats easily.

Bottom Line:
I loved my GT 4000 as I have said. The bike had become an extension of myself and took everything I gave it and asked for more. So naturally, only owning the race for only a short period of time I'm not quite as fast on it yet, but when I get used to it, it will be great. As an xc-racer I can say the race is very well balanced. The frame is very light and has good lateral stiffness, the suspension works well and the component grouping is not bad. This is a great bike for the weakend xc-rider to the seriouse xc-racer. If you are a freerider, downhiller, or like the urban assaults this is not the bike for you.
I am not crazy about GT as a company but I do think they put out an excellent product. To all us GT owners lets hope that the Questar sale to Huffy does not go through. If you did not know, Questar bought out Schwinn who also ownes GT. Questar ran Schwinn into the ground taking GT with them. Very unfortunate.

Favorite Trail:   Fontana N.Carolina

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bicycles Etc.

Similar Products Used:   GT 4000 which was an excellent bike but was a bit heavy for xc-racing. Test rode Specialized Stumpjumper xc.

Bike Setup:   at this point stock accept for Tioga factory xc's which are a little heavy but are extremely reliable.

Submitted by peter a Cross Country Rider from Rose Town

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2001

Strengths:    The bike is made by GT and it has some pretty dang bright colours.

Weaknesses:    Well honestly.... none realy cause well it pedals up the hill realy well but on the way done is a little harsh on the rider with its limited travel but that soon is over come when you become a smoother rider.

Bottom Line:
the bike handels like a dream and rips it up on the up hills but it is strictly for cross country :(

Favorite Trail:   The Locust

Purchased At:   Western Bikykles.