GT 2001 iDrive 4.0 Full Suspension Bike

4.32/5 (78 Reviews)

Submitted by Blaze a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2014

Strengths:    small bump response yet solid pedaling platform

Weaknesses:    Little hefty

Bottom Line:
Bought this cheap off ebay (£75 frame). Small bump response is fantastic and sprints up climbs like a goat. In comparison all modern bikes are choked by platform shocks, the iDrive used mechanical leverage to cancel pedal input. Rolls through technical terrain really well, maintaining speed perfectly. Just as well really as it's not the lightest thing around but climbs surprisingly well despite that. Mixed mine up with a 130mm fork which slackened the angles to modern standard although does make the BB a little high. The GT led me into buying a maverick ML8 (same principle design) which is still in the build phase but hope that will ride just as well.
Great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Afan

Duration Product Used:   year

Similar Products Used:   Giant Anthem X, Specialized FSR, Saracen Recoil, Giant NRS, Marin Mount Vision, numerous hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Racy

Submitted by mcseforsale

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2014

Strengths:    It's been a trusty steed from Maine to Georgia and all in between. Almost 6000 miles and still going strong.

Weaknesses:    None. Best iDrive performance to date.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new in Dec. 01 and I still ride it several times a week. The only original parts on the frame are the stock fasteners, derailleur mount, rear spring (though not the shock) and the seatpost QR. It's had several makeovers from weight weenie, to stout enough to hold my now 215lb, 6'1" frame. I've ridden every iDrive design since and this one is the best handling. It was designed before platform shocks and works very well without them....just the way it should be. IMO, if you require a platform shock, the suspension design is too much of a gimmick. I get the "nice to see old school" comments on the trail, but truth be told, not many people can tell what it is unless I tell them...since I have kept the bike so mint all these years. Despite the miles, this bike is timeless and to my eye is one of the most elegant designs out there still...both mechanically and aesthetically. Sad Richard Long died and GT started becoming a crappy business model.

Submitted by trev heales

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2012

Strengths:    Good wheels and tyres, good brakes and gears, suspension was good

Weaknesses:    My frame has had to be welded 2 times now. It 1st went when it was about 3 years old. It goes where the seat post meets the frame. I only weighed 9 stone so wasn't because I was a fatty.

Bottom Line:
Everything good but week frame.

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from Independece, Mo. Usa

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2011

Strengths:    Been riding it since 02. Still going. Lost count of crashes. Let's say ive abused it.

Weaknesses:    Could of used shock andy brake upgrades.

Bottom Line:
Does corner very good. Climbs to me liked a goat. Strong frame. Still going.

Favorite Trail:   William Landal, Blue Springs

Purchased At:   The Bike Rack

Bike Setup:   Stock other than Mavic Crossland wheels.

Submitted by haribokid a Cross Country Rider from Scotland

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2011

Strengths:    Awesome frame,Ive the Medium and im 5,10 and it handles great on Xc ride.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Great Xc frame for the money, you can now get these frames for well under 200 now!! If you see one and its in good condition esp: the I drive linkage, buy it you wont be disappointed!!

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Orange 5

Bike Setup:   GT Idrive 4.0 Manitou Minute 120mm forks, Manitou S-Type Rear Shock, Magura Julie HP Brakes, Race face evolve Handle bars stem, Deus headset, Lx BB and drivetrain, wellgo V12 copies, deore hubs, mavic en321 hubs.

Submitted by J. Brown a Cross Country Rider from tucson,az

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2010

Strengths:    Just got this bike and fell in love. Great ride! lots of fun! and perfect for someone just starting out in the world of mountain bikes

Weaknesses:    not found yet

Bottom Line:
PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   chiva falls

Submitted by jcapewell a Weekend Warrior from Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    For the novice/beginner like myself - this i-drive 4.0 Large frame setup is the perfect bike. Very easy to climb hills, take quick corners, fearless downhills (OK, on the family trails), very good single-finger breaking, and solid shifts. My son (6'5") rode it/abused it for 5 years and garaged it, then I (5'11") took it over last year and now put about 45 miles a week on it, mixed off-road stuff mostly. Local bike shop does all maintenance other than chain lube and bike wash.

Weaknesses:    none noticed so far (8 years and counting)

Bottom Line:
The most fun on two wheels an amateur weekend rider can have. The technology is pretty outdated now, but still a fantastic, reliable ride. No failures other than replace the chain, which did not break - it was just time.

Favorite Trail:   any, all

Purchased At:   SAM's Club

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8500 (son's new bike)

Bike Setup:   Stock, after correcting SAM's Club set-up butchery

Submitted by raycharlesonacid a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, Ca

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth as stock, road and dirt worthy, nice components...

Weaknesses:    Rockshox Judy so so, damping adjustment for looks; Synchros Big Box front & rear rims spokes always break till re-laced with bigger gauge spokes (but I'm 6'1", 250 lbs, if that matters)...

Bottom Line:
I'm GT (my real initials, lol) and got my 2 GT's around 2001. Had a motorcycle accident so doctors prescribed a wheelchair (a prescription never filled, thankfully). It took 30 days to stand on crutches. When I did, crutched over to bike, started riding EVERYWHERE TO GET BETTER (insisted on leg braces vs. cast, so I could "ratchet peddle" back and forth at first stage of biking recovery). Worked up to 400-600 miles monthly for almost 2 years (people at work thought I was God, but I'm not). Knew I was "well" when laziness kicked in and would rather sit on couch eating Haagen Dazs than ride... My 2 GT iDrive 4.0's (one for parts, one to ride) cured me of this supposedly crippling motorcycle injury through dirt, street, mud, rain and wind with few problems. Today, I am fine and still love these same bikes. If you see one for sale, new or used, buy it.

Favorite Trail:   The more uphill...

Similar Products Used:   Diamond Back, Gary Fisher...

Bike Setup:   Stock except old school Shimano peddles vs. those crazy clip-ons...

Submitted by Proxy One a Weekend Warrior from Alpharetta GA USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2009

Strengths:    I like the bike alot, its got alot of good parts for the price. The suspension geometry works really well with me. Great for downhill.

Weaknesses:    The front shock is a bit weak like others have said, also I wish it had disc brakes, but those are going on soon.

Bottom Line:
Its a great value when getting it for what most of us have paid. Its a good american made pre Pacific bike.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first real MTB.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by tom c a Cross Country Rider from england

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2007

Strengths:    its a comfortable bike to ride

Weaknesses:    shock seat and wheels

Bottom Line:
there is a few things wrong with it shocks weak have to keep pumping it up and the over thing is you lot on here bndreads i got it for £25 hahahahahahahaha

Purchased At:   a mate

Submitted by Jean-François Nolet a Cross Country Rider from Magog

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2004

Strengths:    The idrive technology at made there rename and it's realy kick ass. No publicity bulls**t, it DOES work! I love the fox floating rear shock and I dont think I'll change it for now. Some people claim that the 4.0 is heavy, but they surely didnt ride a Balfa bobonum like I did :P It's a point-and-shoot bike and at each new rides I'm getting more confident and I enjoy it even more.

Weaknesses:    The components... sorry but they ar poor... The Judy is too soft and I bottom it out too easy, and it's pretty noisy too...

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks, I realy love it. It's fast, precise and you always want to ride. And with my next setup wich is describe, it will kick as* badly!!!!!!!! :P You get confident realy fast on the bike and it can take pretty nice drop too. The front wheel is easy to lift up (compare to the Balfa I had b4) so it's pretty easy to jump/drop. If you want a good bike for a good price and a good possibility to upgrade, dont search anymore... ;) I realy like to "play" in town,trails, single track and lil downhill too and I'd like to do trial too, is it a good bike to try that!?! I weight 172 pounds and I'm 6' tall and the bike is perfect for my size! :)

Favorite Trail:   Anything that I can throw at my bike!­

Purchased At:   A friend

Similar Products Used:   I had the heavy weith Balfa bobonum before, which was nice but damn to heavy.. but is was a " Im-sure-I-can-drop-that " anytime bike :P

Bike Setup:   I WILL upgrade to follow: Dirt jumper 3 front shock, Magura HS-33 brakes, Radica XC D2 seat, TiTec XC seat post, Shimano 105 dérailleur, and I'll change the pedal too...

Submitted by Tom orr a Weekend Warrior from Pentraeth, Anglesey , Wales

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2003

Strengths:    Reliable, low centre of graviy, easy to ride, suspension is always active, i personaly like the geometry.

Weaknesses:    heavy,

Bottom Line:
i love this bike. i find the SPD's well worth it and a very comfortable bike. i like the long cockpit, as i have long arms, and at great value for the UK, i have no idea about the US...... handles anytrhing i throw at it, but it is on the heavy side. I find it rides light though.

Favorite Trail:   Karrimore, in coed i brennin

Purchased At:   pauls Cycles.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   None, my first full bouncer

Bike Setup:   slightly different to the one here, Judy xc's, Fox Float rear shock, LX throughout, (when bought, now i have XT here and there), came whith Avid 3 digit v-brakes, but now i have Hayes HFX-9 6" hydraulic discs, well worth the upgrade, whith WTB speed disc hubs and mavic 717 disc rims. Ritchey SPD's

Submitted by Paul no from UK

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2003

Strengths:    super comfortable ride

Weaknesses:    those silly spokes

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A FOLLOW UP TO A REVIEW I DID 6 MONTHS AGO.

THE BIKE STILL GETS TOP MARKS- (WELL, VERY NEARLY), COS IT FEELS LIKE A MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE MACHINE. THE FOX FLOAT IS GREAT, THE JUDY FORKS ARE A BIT HEAVY, BUT CAN HANDLE ANYTHING I THROW AT EM, AND THAT i DRIVE THING WORKS REALLY WELL.
ON THE DOWNSIDE, THOSE SPOKES DID BREAK AFTER ALL- THEY'RE C**P, AND MY BOTTOM BRACKET SOUNDS A BIT CLUNKY NOW, ALSO THE BUSHINGS ON THE DOG BONE HAVE GONE.
BUT AS WE'RE TALKING ABOUT A BIKE THAT SHOULD COST £1000+,AND I ONLY PAID £500, THE OVERALL SCORE IS STILL VERY HIGH.

Favorite Trail:   Brecon/Black Mtns

Purchased At:   Halfords

Bike Setup:   changed to a shorter (THE) stem, also upgraded to proper brake blocks.

Submitted by Matt Lawless a Downhiller from Hockessin Delaware

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2003

Strengths:    I think this bike is great and thats all im saying.

Weaknesses:    I dont have a keen eye to find any.

Bottom Line:
Well really have nothing to say since i used to have a trek 820 so this is a big step up. I bought all of this bike but the handle bar and seat for $300!!!!!!! And i put new wheels on that are worse than the gts but these look cooler. I put magura disk brakes and this bike rocks. His name is 8er carried on form the 820.

Submitted by Chuck a Downhiller from Cleveland, Oh, USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Strengths:    Price. Full suspension. I-drive.

Weaknesses:    Seat mast broke during mild wipe out. Bottom bracket was shot. Derailleur hanger is weak.

Bottom Line:
Not a very good frame design. Definitely not geared up for heavier riders ie. 200 lb'ers. GT went belly up so good luck trying to get any kind of warranty. Lasted a year.

Purchased At:   bought off a friend like new