GT 2001 iDrive 3.0 Full Suspension Bike

4.26/5 (69 Reviews)

Submitted by Rodney First Strike (new comer) a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, agile, light, tough, great height, I drive creates most unique feeling of smoothness down roughest of downhills.

Weaknesses:    haven't found any yet...

Bottom Line:
*NEW COMER TO MTB* I joined a mountain biking class here at my university(Mid August 2013), I was riding a full suspension mongoose from wal mart (poor native guy status), the instructor laughed when I brought the mongoose on the mountain for my first run. After a few rides and countless bottom-outs on the mogoose, I looked on Craigslist and found this gem for $400. I couldn't tell if it was worth the money or not, but I needed a better bike asap. The guy sold it to me for $365, told me about the I-drive, and it's uniqueness....I didn't care I was glad to have a new bike, an OFFICIAL MOUNTAIN BIKE (End of September 2013). Before I bought the bike, the top 6 riders in my class were all riding 2012 or more current, Rocky Mountain, Specialized, and Kona frames. I am now the 2nd top rider in the class, the 1st being an Australian gentlemen with a 2013 Rocky Mountain frame. However on downhills, I am the number 1 rider in my class. The I-Drive BB adds some sort of a cruise feeling, when going down steep rock declines. My feet tend to move with the dips, and the bumpy terrain on downhill rock still go unnoticed. I like to keep my tires close to full, as I enjoy flying off drops and rock hops, I run the stock v-brakes as I have not been able to afford discs and brakes yet. so far, she climbs just as well as she bombs down trails. If you've ever ridden a horse bareback, this is like that, but with more shock absorption and smoother handling.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain Flying the Flow trail

Duration Product Used:   2 months so far

Purchased At:   personal seller

Submitted by mikek a Weekend Warrior from Tulsa OK USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2009

Strengths:    Not too heavy, high BB, great suspension

Weaknesses:    Judy C fork is a little outdated

Bottom Line:
After upgrades, this bike is as good as my 08 Fuji Outland Pro, or any of the other "similar products used" bikes. Confidence builder, stays planted on climbs (after longer stem turned "down") and downhills.
I still own the Fuji, and after several more comparison rides may part with it and keep the GT. If the fork wasn't an '01 spring loaded Judy with no real adjustment, I'd give it a 5 overall.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mountain

Purchased At:   Local Pawn Shop

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Outland Pro, Giant NRS Air, Specialized FSR/XC

Bike Setup:   Stock w/Crank Bros Mallets, Trek Inform saddle, Ritchey WCS 120 stem, Avid BB7's, IRC Mythos.

Submitted by jorje187 a Cross Country Rider from PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2008

Strengths:    i-drive technology, holds up well, very good value

Weaknesses:    cable routing for the front derailleur, sketchy looking rear shock mount, not sure if rear rear mudguard is replaceable

Bottom Line:
This was a great introduction to full suspension. I'm still riding it after 7 years. Highly recommended.

Similar Products Used:   first and only full suspension

Bike Setup:   Fox, XT, Avid, Mavic, etc. I've changed everything out apart from the frame, rear shock, bottom bracket, crankset, seat post, headset, brake levers, and rear derailleur.

Submitted by Kevin Byrnes a Cross Country Rider from Argentine Twp,MI USA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2006

Strengths:    Strong frame, excellent climber, perfect suspension design

Weaknesses:    a touch heavy, but it climbs sooo well!!!

Bottom Line:
Best climber I have ever ridden, I weight 185, and have been as heavy as 205, and the seatpost mount held up just fine!, when you are on the roughest terrain, this bike makes it feel like you are riding on carpet.

Favorite Trail:   Highland SRA, Highland ,MI

Purchased At:   RollModels, Allen Park,MI

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS, Yeti FS

Bike Setup:   XTR rear der, xt front der, Rockshox Psylo SL, Mavic Crossmax Tubeless wheelset, Kenda Kharisma's Syncros Bars, Avid BB7's, XT crankset

Submitted by keeps a Cross Country Rider from montucky

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2006

Strengths:    idrive kicks all ass in the linkage department. with a long travel fork the head angle is superb and you never have to worry about the bb touching rocks. the float never bottoms out and feels endless, downhills like bowling ball and reacts quick for the trees

Weaknesses:    syncros wheels suck ass as all the spokes are now replacements, and the rear triangle is too wide to slip the wheel on and off easily, seat mount is squeaky, maybe a little bit heavy for the 3in travel, super high ride height

Bottom Line:
everyone is jealous that my ride is cheaper and works better and easier on the uphill.

Purchased At:   online?

Bike Setup:   LX XTR avid mechanicals marzochi MCR Z1 mavic xride

Submitted by Harold Hidalgo a Downhiller from Staten Island, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2006

Strengths:    Light Agile and easy to handle in specific situations. pretty good components for the price, and rear fox shock works like a gem. Also, the idrive Technology in the pedal system is really great with pedal support

Weaknesses:    GT merged with Pacific. degrading the company. dirt tends to get in the idrive technology, leaving space for damage.

Bottom Line:
The bike was great for the price after dealing with the bike shop seller. he threw in some perks. the bike is excellent as long as you maintain it. if riding downhill on trails, protect the idrive system, and have some shop fix up a cover. overall this is a slighter than average full suspension mountain bike.

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel, Cannondale Jekyl, Gary Fisher 2003 team edition

Submitted by Trailmutt a Downhiller from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2006

Strengths:    The bike was light and great for climbing logging roads and XC trails. Enjoyable to ride until it breaks and then you find out just how bad customer service can be. Hence the chilies.

Weaknesses:    GT is a company (speaking from Canada) that I would stir very clear of due to there poor customer service. I rode the bike for about a year until the seat weld broke. GT said they went bankrupt and would not warranty my frame. Low and behold they are back in business and my bike has been sent to 3 different shops and around the world only to come back to me with the same result. NOTHING. Oh yeh except I lost the bushings which are also hard to track down. A local shop welded my frame but I do not ride the GT because of poor service and bought other bikes in the process of waiting forever.

Bottom Line:
If you want to pay the money for a GT it would be better spent on Rocky Mountain. That's what I did.

Favorite Trail:   XC - Bridal Path

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   lots of friends bikes.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Jorge Diaz a Weekend Warrior from Moraga CA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2005

Strengths:    Climbs like a billy goat, I'm 250 and I ride hard, I've taken it through the ringer and it still solid. This bike will take whatever you throw at it!

Weaknesses:    Seat post clamp cracked and I kept breaking wheel spokes

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome after 4 years of beating it to the ground it's still as good as when I bought it!

Favorite Trail:   Mt Berdell, Marin Headlens

Purchased At:   Oakland

Similar Products Used:   Nothing compares to the i-drive

Bike Setup:   Added XTR shifters and brakes

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from San Jose

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2004

Strengths:    Climbs like a hard tail and is very abuser friendly

Weaknesses:    The upper shock eye bolt kept breaking all the time until I replaced it with a hardened steel bolt.

Bottom Line:
I Beat this bike harder than I should by far. I was 220 pounds and rode cross country with it for 2yrs stock (except for Avid Mechanical disc brake). It was great. Now at 165 pounds I still ride it. Now its modified it heavily and abused every time I ride it. I ride aggressive cross country and free ride with it. Ive heard of GT disc hubs "coming loose" or "exploding". Mine have not done this and I get air with 8' hayes stress the hell out of them and they are fine. They won't get loose if the bike (hubs include) is maintaned properly. I know people who have cracked thier frames at the seat post welds. Mine have not "Knock on wood". My shock bolt broke only because I was not using it for its intended type of riding furth more it was a 10 cent fix. The bike is absolutely awsome. No matter the bike, No bike lasts for ever.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Technical

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   03'Giant NRS2, Various Marin full suspensions,94'Mongoose amplifier (before they sold out when they were still quality)

Bike Setup:   -XT Crankset, XT Rear Casette, XT Front Derailer, Weyless DFR40 Handle bars, Intense Grips (With Flange)/w Odi lock jaws, Marzocchi Z1 FR SL Fork, 8" Hayes Mag Plus Hydraulic Disc Brakes, Serfas open seat, Panaracer FR 2.4 Tire up front, Maxxis High Roller 2.35 tire in the rear, Hardened steel Rear shock bolts.

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Ellensburg

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2004

Strengths:    Good overall.

Weaknesses:    As someone else mentioned there is problem with the GT disc hubs. I put a set of Avid mech. discs on it 6 months after I got it. The spokes would loosen up and some broke soon thereafter. Then the split, while on a one way in ride, the rear hub exploded and would not free wheel. The hub body had started to shear around the bearing race on the drive side just inside the flange. LBS made good on a repair, but GT lost face there. Poo poo to GT. No cracked welds yet. 230lbs and the frame is still going after a few good throws.

Bottom Line:
Go with something else, even if the LBS is offering a deal of the century with closeout GT's

Similar Products Used:   GF Sugar, Numerous other Specialized...

Submitted by Bora a Weekend Warrior from Helsinki, Finland

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2004

Strengths:    Very comfortable and fast. I like to push the limits every time I ride and this bike is always up to it. The I-Drive works perfectly from the saddle. Setting up the bikes sag is very easy with perfect preload gauge. The traction is great both going up or coming down the hill. The rear tire is always pulled on the ground.

Weaknesses:    slow techinal stuff due to its high bottom bracket. Avid brake on rear, but I upgraded to Shimano deore hydraulic discs. Little on the heavy side...But overall with little upgrades bike is very good.

Bottom Line:
If you like ride fast and your pedaling technique is correct this is your bike. Bike works well almost every situation and actually maintenance is quite easy after couple of times. If I ever will brake the frame... I possibly would buy Turner and ride even faster.

Bike Setup:   Upgrades: Rock shox psylo xc and shimano deore hydraulic discs.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Lansdale

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2004

Strengths:    Climbs like a goat on crack, with no bob whatsoever. Rips up DH. Oh, looks good too.

Weaknesses:    Little heavy, high center of gravity. No rebound dampening on POS Fox rear shock. Judy TT is avg. at best. Not a fan of the Hayes mechanicals.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike because I always fit well on GT's. I'm 6'-4" @ 220lbs and have had no problems with the frame @ the seatpost clamp...(read the instructions & don't have the post end up above the clamp Einstein's!) or the eccentric. It maybe a tad heavy 30 lbs?, but at my size who cares, I don't race. If you take care of it, it's a smoooth ride. To make it bob, you have to try.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, GF Sugar

Bike Setup:   All stock except Hayes mechanical rear.

Submitted by Aaron from Newbury Park, CA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2003

Strengths:    Great climber over rough terrain. Strong descender at high speeds. Disc ready is a plus. The black/brushed aluminum color scheme is awesome! Great Component Group.

Weaknesses:    Stem is not the Syncros Stem as advertised. Judy SL fork a bit timid for a 6'3" 200+lb rider. Seat Clamp area a bit weak and developed a crack, but not til' after 3 years of hard time.

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike almost 3 years of hard time. It has stood up to technical rocky downhills and 9+ hour backcountry excursions without folding, until recently I discovered a crack at the seat tube. Pacific sent me a replacement frame- upgraded to 1.0 within two weeks!! Though, the colors are not as cool as the 3.0 was, It's supposed to be a much better frame. I can't wait to try it. I will miss the 3.O.

Favorite Trail:   Backbone

Purchased At:   All Pro

Similar Products Used:   I-drive 2.0--(test ride) but I liked the colors better on the 3.0...it matters to me.

Bike Setup:   MOstly stock except for Hellbent bars, Motoraptor 2.4 front, Ritchey 2.3 rear, Fox Air RC w/lockout rear shock, Marzocchi z5 air forks, Shimano Hydraulic discs.

Submitted by Allan Schuehle a Cross Country Rider from Redmond

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2003

Strengths:    Price, rides well, rear derailleur

Weaknesses:    1. 7 mm seat post bolt too small, broke, upgrade to 8 mm
2. Nut at base of aft shock will vibrate loose, replace with a lock nut and loctite.
3. Rear hub cracked, replace with Shimano XT
4. Rear V brakes marginal in mud and wet conditions, upgrade with disc brakes

Bottom Line:
It is a good bike for the price.
A little heavy. Fun to ride

Favorite Trail:   All