GT 2000 XCR-5000 Full Suspension Bike

4.56/5 (55 Reviews)

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, SR MG91, 3.0" travel fork

Submitted by Jarich a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2005

Strengths:    Frame

Weaknesses:    Brakes feel like crap, rims feel flexy

Bottom Line:
Good frame for the $$, rear mech is fine, front never worked very well, cranks are a bit flexy, rims are flexy, it could feel more solid with better parts. Does the job great though as i can't ride as much as i'd like :)

Favorite Trail:   Mt Sugarloaf

Purchased At:   Active Cycles

Bike Setup:   Judy XCs, 90mm Profile stem, trans X 1.5" risers, oddesey twisted pedals, gripshift 600, maxxis mofo tyres.

Submitted by Romano a Weekend Warrior from So. Fla.

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2004

Strengths:    plush ride

Weaknesses:    components

Bottom Line:
The only original parts are the seat post and stem. The tires and chain sucked, those were the first things off the bike, (chain first) then came the shifters and cassette. The fork, shock and wheeelset were OK for the price of the bike. Over all the stock bike was great once I changed the chain and tires it rode well. It took a lot of pounding, and had a plush ride, good handling skills. I changed the wheelset and put on disc's big change of control when you stop on a dime, then I changed the fork and shock it turned into a great ride. I'm not a racer, but I like to ride in comfort, do long rides and the downhills in N.C. , climbs well, it's good all around the bike with it's changes has kept me happy since Jan. 2000 that's a month away from 5 years. It's not on the market any more but if you can find an old frame it's well worth buying. The biggest change in shifting came in the chain replacement, after that the parts that come stock are OK for the price of the bike. BIG THUMBS UP FOR THE OLD BIKE

Favorite Trail:   all of Pisgah trails

Similar Products Used:   GT Tequesta hardtail

Bike Setup:   AC Disc hubs, 14/15 butted spokes, Velosity rims, XTR R. Der, XT Ft. Der, Lx shift pods and cranks, Avid mech disc. Avid SD7 levers, Cane Creek Cloud 9 air shock, Marzocci MX 100MM FORK

Submitted by Anthony e a Cross Country Rider from MAssapequa New York

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2004

Strengths:    The bike definately has a strong frame.I am close to 300 lbs and the bike has taken all my abuse.GReat bike for the cash.

Weaknesses:    The gears and shifting are horrible.The stock rims are not the strongest either.Otherwise its a great bike all around.

Bottom Line:
i Highly recommend the bike.If you can find one buy it. A great bike to upgrade and have a blast with it.Enjoy!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   too many to list!

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   cannondale,trek

Bike Setup:   mostly stock except for the rims.Shimano hubs and Rims called heavy duty "Mammoth FAT rims" and kevlar tires.

Submitted by Anthony a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2004

Strengths:    The bike is great! Very light, strong frame, get all around bike. The handlebar is good, the front suspension pretty good, and extremely light bike.

Weaknesses:    The rear suspension could be a bit better and you should get some flat pedals if u are not ridin with shin pads.h

Bottom Line:
This bike is light which means you can do almost anythin with it. It is good for jumps, for x country, and for freeriding. The bottom line is get this bike it is perfect for anyone!

Favorite Trail:   the tracks

Purchased At:   Martin Swiss

Similar Products Used:   Kona Coiler Dee-Lux.

Submitted by Me a Downhiller from Somwhere

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    I LOVE IT!

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
NO TIME TO TALK....I LOVE IT
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!B!U!Y! I!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Anything DH

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   NOTHING COMPARES

Bike Setup:   STOCK

Submitted by Charles a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Strengths:    strong frame, tough components, i like the adjustablity of the rear shock (i keep it as tight as possible, essentially locking it out)

Weaknesses:    PORKY frame, crappy front shock.

Bottom Line:
Good bike, good platform for building a sturdy bike. With the right components, this bike can FLY, despite its weight. I would recommend this bike to a intermediate rider who wants to jump to full suspension.

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche 1.0

Bike Setup:   Judy XC; LX crank and f/d; XT shifters, BB, and r/d, SI flite saddle.

Submitted by Pipe FR Casasempere a Downhiller from Santiago, region metropolitana, Chile

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2003

Strengths:    It´s a good freeriding bike, although it was designed for extreme x country, it´s easy to maintain(except the i-drive) but the i-drive gives a lot of control during the descent

Weaknesses:    The position of the shock makes the two bolts to bend and then to break along with the shock, the i-drive is hard to maintain clean and the headpipe it´s too large

Bottom Line:
For all of you that don´t have a lot of money but want´s a cheap, good and good looking freeriding bike that allows a lot of modifications, good control during downhill (If you have a large fork)

Favorite Trail:   El molino o Pucon

Purchased At:   Used bike from a guy from the paper

Similar Products Used:   Cheeta Prowler, GT LTS-3000, Haro EX-02

Bike Setup:   LX-XT , boxxer`00 fork, fox vanilla rear shock, Shimano DX pedals, Mavic 521 rims with DT swiss spokes

Submitted by harry davis a Weekend Warrior from asheville nc usa

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2003

Strengths:    great for freestyling good jumping characteristics. awesome weight and handleability

Weaknesses:    can only bring seat down an inch to two before it hits the rear shock. boo!

Bottom Line:
i love this bike it is definetly 4.5 out of 5 only downfall cant really lower the seat but hey whos on the seat anyways?

Favorite Trail:   kazuma

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   iron horse g out

Bike Setup:   manatou elite front, haynes disc brakes, shimano xt all around, carbon fiber derailer, fox rear shock. uh thats it

Submitted by Seth a Cross Country Rider from Alfred, NY

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Strengths:    Same as the rest of the reviews, sweet frame. I-Drive is great. I like the front suspension. I do 3-4 foot drops every now and then and I bottom it out once in a while. You don't want a super stiff suspension. This is a nice one, better than Judy's. Nice looking bike (scuba yellow), I always get complements.

Weaknesses:    Acera Components. Kinda heavy.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the person who doesn't like it when their bikes break. The only thing you may have to replace are the derailleurs, the rest should last a long time. Great bike for the price. I like the stock fork. Next upgrade will be new rims (after almost 3 years of riding they will be replaced).

Great bike to slowly upgrade.

THE BAD THING IS: GT bankruptcy. Hard time finding derailleur hangers now!!!

Favorite Trail:   Fingerlakes Trail - Mt. Morris and Harriet Hollister

Purchased At:   Ebay! (I don't know if that was a good thing)

Similar Products Used:   A Diamond back, some GT hardtails, other friends bikes.

Bike Setup:   Had: SR Suntour Magnesium Fork, 3" travel. RST rear shock. Acera Components, suntour crank.

Now: Same but with XT Derailleurs (That's all I've changed in 2 years of abuse, well that and brake pads...)

Submitted by Chad a Weekend Warrior from Fresno

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2002

Strengths:    Great frame design, UnBreakable, takes a lot of beating

Weaknesses:    The components it comes with totaly SUCK (:0

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks! I personaly love it. When first bought, it had some pretty crapy components on it. I rode it how it was for about 5 months, and they were all dead.
Ive totaly rebuilt my bike and now the only original part on it is the frame.
But even before I rebuilt it, this bike could take anything I put infront of it. I put about $500 into it and I love it. If you are looking for a nice mountain bike for those weekend rides, this is the bike for you. Put some money into it and you will have yourself a great bike. Take My word for it.

Favorite Trail:   007

Purchased At:   Copelands Sports

Bike Setup:   GT XCR 5000- 2001 Marzocchi Z3 QR20 130mm travel, Avid Mechanical Dick Brakes

Submitted by Gray a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2002

Strengths:    Nice Plush ride. Soaks up bumps

Weaknesses:    Flexy frame, everything breaks

Bottom Line:
This bike has broken more times in the two years I have owned it than my $350 GT Tempest has broken since '96. I don't know if SRAM's derailleurs are weak or if the frame flex causes it. None of the deraileurs broke during a wreck, only while pedeling on a flat trail. I can see the bottom bracket flex a half inch when I crank down on it. The I drive has developed a looseness which makes a clunking noise while riding. Really annoying. I like the ride alot, but I find my self riding my old hard tail because something breaks on the XCR every other time I ride it (which screws up my ride and costs more $$$). If any one knows a fix for that clunk in the I drive, let me know. The Bike shop can't help it.

Favorite Trail:   Xterra trail

Purchased At:   bike store

Similar Products Used:   GT Tempest

Bike Setup:   7.0 brakes and grip shift and 9.0 rear derailer when I bought it. Since then, I have broken 4 rear derailleurs, the rear wheel, the crankset, the bottom bracket, one brake.
Replaced with 2 more 9.0 rear deraileurs, then a 7.o because I couldn't afford any more 9.0s, Rhino rear wheel w/deore hub, LX crankset.

Submitted by Randy a Cross Country Rider from jessup pa

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2002

Strengths:    strong frame, dual suspension, I DRIVE

Weaknesses:    Crap componets, but can be upgraded

Bottom Line:
I had no problem with my rims being crap. This bike is not synomnious with the i drive 6.0. the frame is the same, but the rims on this bike are much better. My nephew has the 6.0 and bent the rims the seond day out. It took me two years of abuse to put a small bend in my rear rim. Also, my bike was manufactureed in the usa, not taiwan. Says so right on me frame!!! no not designed in usa, made in usa. Its a great bike, kinda heavy, but very upgradeable and the idrive rules. Just hope pacific will keep making parts for it. If you can get it cheap becuase its two years old, get it. Much better than i drive 6.0.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   cedar bike

Similar Products Used:   mongoose, jamis, fuji,

Bike Setup:   gt xcr 5000. z2 atom race front fork, sun ringle pedals, dual density serfas grips, gt bar ends, 500 cu. in. motor.just kiddin on that last one

Submitted by Mat a Weekend Warrior from DePere, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Strengths:    I speak only for the frame. Tough ass frame! I've smashed the thing on rails and not a dent. Soaks up big hits very well (5ft+). Love the I-Drive no problems. Good ride all around feel safe on the DH. Don't mind the uphill comments you hear about, it's the components that make it suck uphill. I climb up hill without a problem since I got new components.

Weaknesses:    Components are total crap. If you ride any style tougher than sidewalks with occasional sticks, your going to be due for a component make over. Expect to put about 400.00 worth of used parts into it. Rims are not tough, you will have to change the rear rim, or true it everyday. Stock panaracer tires suck. Gears try to destroy you with their worth crap strength. Brakes are fine but will rub against the total waste of metal, rear rim. Don't get me wrong it will last you for a about 2 months. Pedals suprisingly seem to last though it scares me to have plastic. The front/rear shocks I feel are worth what I paid for the bike no disappointment their. The bike is heavy, but I like the beef for taking the hits. GT OUT OF BUSINESS, DAMN!

Bottom Line:
Get this bike! and put the extra investment into it. You'll have lots of fun with it. I give it 5 chilis because for the money you pay, it makes up for the components. For something I paid 600.00 for two years ago, is making me very happy this year for only another 400.00.
The bottom line...
" I HAVE FUN WITH THIS BIKE! "

Favorite Trail:   Bairds Creek

Purchased At:   JB Cycle

Bike Setup:   Had Acera components changed over to SRAM 9.0 and Avid Mechanicals. Also changed the for junk rim with a WTB. I also changed the cheap Panaracers for a Michelin Wildgripper.

Submitted by Niv Ofer a Weekend Warrior from Tel Aviv, Israel

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2001

Strengths:    The I-Drive system works very well, and let you put all your power into it.A very strong frame. THE BEST LOOKING BIKE EVER! ( my bike is yellow ).

Weaknesses:    Suntour front fork. Acera components. Abit havey.

Bottom Line:
This bike will give you a great fun.
it is not the best climber ( you can allways take comfort that you improving your shape ), but you,ll fly going downhills or just ridding trails. The I-Drive works great, standing on the pedals will kick you off like a hard tail.
The high positioning needs to get use to at the beginning.
You should upgrade most of the components, but wait until they brake down and then replace them for a better quality.
Replace tha Acera front derailleur and shifters ASAP, that will improve gear shiftting.
This is a very good bike for having fun. All you need to do is keep the excillent frame and upgrade according to your needs.

Favorite Trail:   Any heels & mountains