GT 2000 XCR-3000 Full Suspension Bike

4.55/5 (66 Reviews)

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy Race, 2.5"-4.0" adjustable travel fork

Submitted by sgronberg a Weekend Warrior from mxzman@hotmail.com

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2008

Strengths:    Great climber! The i-drive set-up really makes a difference!

Weaknesses:    stock parts

Bottom Line:
I'm 5'7 and about a buck fifty. This bike can grip the trail on the climb but can be a little bit loose on steep downhill, handles great on the single track! Great bike for the money and you can't beat the i-drive, craigslist best buy!

Favorite Trail:   Backbone

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes and Avid levers, shimano clipless pedals, Mavic Cross Ride rims and the rest is stock

Submitted by paul.draper a Weekend Warrior from Hartford, CT

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2008

Strengths:    I have been ridding this bike for 7 years (2 years off for deployments) and have never had a significant problem with it. Rock Solid frame and the idrive system is outstanding up hills. This ride is great for my 220+ lbs!

Weaknesses:    A little heavy.

Bottom Line:
This bike has taken a punishment, it's paint is scratched & chiped, and there is a little rust on the bolts but I would sooner sell my jeep than lose this bike. I have ridden her along the rock of the Atlantic shore. In the swamps and mud. On the streets of Hartford and she has never let me down.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Suburban Sports

Similar Products Used:   Hard tails - Schwinn, Trek, GT Outpost & Zaskar.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock. Added XT shifters, new tires (every couple of years), a pair of stems, a lot of sweat, and changed out a ride damaged part here and there.

Submitted by Chris S. a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2003

Strengths:    I-Drive, strong frame, looks great, disc ready, handles great in all conditions

Weaknesses:    weight, some components needed upgrading, stock Tioga tires were horrendous

Bottom Line:
This bike is my baby. The frame is tough as nails. I-Drive suspension works like a dream. Many components were adequate stock, but some had to go. Especially the tires. Upgrading to disc brakes was easy. My bike has almost full XTR, what a difference over stock Deore and Deore LX. When my road bike broke 1 week before a century ride I put skinny tires on my I-drive and rode the century with it. I was totally impressed. The suspension is super efficient. There was only 1 other fs bike in the ride(Trek Fuel 100)and that guy couldn't finish. This bike is a great all around bike and gets way more miles than my road bike. Have heard that the quality of I-Drive frames went down when GT went bankrupt so be carefull with newer models but don't pass up a chance to pick up a 2000 or 2001 I-Drive frame. In my opinion one of the best fs frames for all around riding. Mine looks like a motocross bike with its mud flaps and I get frequent compliments on it.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Racine Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   crappy old hardtails

Bike Setup:   upgraded to 95% XTR, Avid Mech. disc brakes, Mavic Crossroc tubeless disc rims with Michelin Wildgripper tubeless tires

Submitted by Superman a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Strengths:    Very sturdy frame, geometry design is good and looks great. I-Drive is sweet and rides plush.

Weaknesses:    A couple of xtra pounds.

Bottom Line:
The original setup on the bike was ok. I upgraded the old Judy Race for the Psylo U-turn, changed tires, added the front discs and replaced the LX to XT drivetrain. Since these mods were done, i've actually enjoyed ridin this bike a lot. I ride very rough singletracks, very fast and do 3-4 Ft. jumps. The frame feels strong and even though i'm the 2nd. owner of this frame, there isn't a sign of weakness on the frame anywhere. I was a bit skeptical about upgrading this bike after reading some of the reviews on the frame but took my chances anyways. This is a great bike frame. If you have and old one or are looking into getting a nice bike to get started in, i'd say go for it, after some upgrades this bike is up there with some of the newer $2500 out there for 1/2 the investment. I'm 5'10" and weigh 175lbs. and the frame is Medium size. I will ride this bike for as long as it holds up and I think it's gonna be a while before I spend any more $$$ on a new ride.

Bike Setup:   GT iDrive, Rock Shox SID Dual Air rear shock, 2003 Rock Shox Psylo XC U-Turn (adjustable travel) fork, Avid Mech. Disc in front, V brakes rear, Mavic Wheels, Panaracer 2.4 on front and 2.1 on rear, Shimano XT Drivetrain, and Syncros components.

Submitted by Rich a Weekend Warrior from Chico Ca.

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2003

Strengths:    i-Drive ROCKS SOLID!!! factory set for disk brakes. hollowtech crankset is featherweight set and sealed...
3 year old bike is tighter than most 2003 species in its origional price range...This bike kickz azz!

Weaknesses:    origional Tioga extreme xc tires had to go..(the wear on these tires however tell me that this bike was previously owned by a fairy...they were like new and material wise very remnant of pencil erasor rubber!) plastic cap on syncros headset freaks me out a little (especially after reading some of the other reviews...)

Bottom Line:
i've had this bike for a mere 3 months and i've put well over 600 hard miles on it and it rides like a dream.
i-drive is something i dont think i can live without after riding this machine.. its the last American made GT if you see one for under a grand BUY IT! The bikes a little heavy so its not for weight snobs (i added a few grams with the motoraptor 2.4s and the ride weight felt like it went down)I would still like to know why in the hell those tiogas were added to such a sweet frame..i think i got my $350 worth with the i-drive alone....i'm the dustcloud that just blew past you on the hill!! what more can i say....i-drive i-drive i-drive
nothing compares (i'm giving it 5 cuz its 3 years old with all the factory origionals still above average)

Favorite Trail:   Green Gate

Purchased At:   flea market score!!!!

Similar Products Used:   test ride on 2003 i-drive other than that this is my first full sus set up.

Bike Setup:   2000 XCR 3000 factory set up aside from my replacing crappy Tiogas(tires?) with WTB motoraptor 2.40s front and back..and wellgo "ankle sharks" with toe ins...disk brakes to be added shortly (might as well its set and ready just "plug em in"

Submitted by flyman a Cross Country Rider from La Habra

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2002

Strengths:    Exellent ride, handling,and balance.The agility of the new
frame is amazing. 3-9 gearing on downhill is much easier....

Weaknesses:    Frame weld to seatmast post broke.I had to wait over 2 1/2
months for the replacement. However, it was very much worth the wait!!!

Bottom Line:
I really enjoyed the XCR-3000 until it broke! The wait totally sucked! However, Pacific replaced the XCR-3000 with
a beautiful new 1.0(white/gold/charcoal color)! The new improvements are awesome and , the bike handles much better
than the old one.GT reinforced every weakness into a strength. The weight comes in at @#31.5 which I know sounds
heavy.What squishes this issue is the ride! The bike actually feels lighter to me! I'm sure this is because I
weigh 225+ and lift weights regularly...but, I do believe
that this bike will be an awesome trailbike for me (and many others).It will be interesting to see what others will say
about the new '03 bikes! The rating below is purely on the 2003 1.0 frame:

Favorite Trail:   the next one

Purchased At:   La Habra cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Special-Ed, Giant

Bike Setup:   TruVative cranks, XT drive,Rhino-lites,Foxforx(Vanilla)....

Submitted by Benny Boy a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2002

Strengths:    Looks good
Strong
I-drive works

Weaknesses:    Weight? As if that matters
Comes set up as a midway house...

Bottom Line:
The problem with this bike is that it comes as a halfway house. Its too heavy and has too much travel for an XC race bike. Its fork has too little travel and the brakes are crap for a freeride bike.
However, it has the makings of an excellent trailbike. Aslong as you clipped in it pedals well. Pop in a proper 100 - 125 mm fork and it kicks the bike back into a much nive ride position. Slam disc brakes on and it stops like a penny.
Its a brilliant durable frame and it's now a dream bike. The problem is it hits a pricepoint and I know that the next bike I want will have full XTR, an even better fork but the same brakes.
I love it.

Favorite Trail:   Quantocks!!!

Purchased At:   Bonthrone Bikes

Similar Products Used:   All manner of bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock finishing kit + drivechain (apart from XT front mech). Mavic F519/Hope XC wheels, Hope M4 discs, Psylo XC U turn forks...

Submitted by Jarred a Weekend Warrior from Orangeville, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2002

Strengths:    Well built, well designed, super solid frame. GT built it, would you expect anything less. Colour scheme is real nice.

Weaknesses:    Other than the lack of a back brake cable hanger, I haven,t found anything.

Bottom Line:
This bike cost me a whopping $350 Canadian. That's like 5 Bucks in the U.S. (hehe) For that price I got the frame and SID rear shock, and have not had a problem with it yet. I am a freerider, about 185lbs, I do drops, hits, you name it. People who have had probs with their SIDs blowing, should have put in some effort to take care of things. I lent my bike to my buddy for a month, he weighs in at about 275lbs. Yeah big freakin' boy. I had to run the shock max PSI(250PSI) for the entire time. He beat the hell out of it, and it smiled, and asked for more. This bike rocks ass. The only thing bad thats ever happened is when I got my foot caught in the rear brake line and ate it. Not happy. The put all this kick ass technology into a smokin' bike, and the let something like this go? What the heck. Duck tape fixes the problem, but it shouldn't exist.

Similar Products Used:   GT Timberline, MT. McKinley(do they still exist)

Bike Setup:   Bomber Z.1 Wedge, Avid Brakes STX RC shifters, and drive train, Sun mammoth wheels, Kenda rubber

Submitted by Bobby N a Cross Country Rider from Katy, TX USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Strengths:    here is just a follow up reivew. I have experienced ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS with the bike in the 2 years I have ridden it. The frame has held up superbly, and even with the abuse of landing off-camber and mulitple crashes (plus one endo), there is no play in the bushings or shock mount. I have only replaced some stock components, but mostly because I wanted to, not that the stock components failed.

Weaknesses:    Only downside? I wish it had more travel. Oh well, what can I say because I started out as a novice racer, but I have left the races and tried more light freeriding. Some stock components were bad choices (the syncros stem and bar combo were terribe) but otherwise everything was pretty strong, yet reasonably light.

Bottom Line:
This bike (frame anyway) has served its purpose through hard thrashing and 2 years of abuse. I weigh 125 lbs, so of course it has not experienced the wear of an average rider, but still it has held up VERY well. I used to be a weight weenie, but I now understand that sometimes the heavier something is, the stronger it is, and this seems to be the case with the XCR 3000. I imagine that I will bash this frame for about one or maybe two more years before I upgrade to a new frame. I have experienced the i-drive concept, and I am a true believer in it's abilities to isolate the cranks from any rear suspension movement ( you don't feel the trail jerking at your pedals when descending). If GT (or should I say Pacific) could just integrate the i-drive with some type of 4 bar linkage, it would truly shine because there would not be any suspension lockout under braking. I don't know if I will ever buy a GT again simply because their product developement probably took a huge hit in the merger, but we'll have to see what happens. Overall, a great, robust frame.

Purchased At:   cycle spectrum

Similar Products Used:   a crappy Motobecane 400ds

Bike Setup:   XCR 3000 frame, everything stock except: XTR chain, titec enduro bar, kore 3 stem, avid ti brake levers, XTR brakes, WTB momentum headset, 2002 Z.1 Freeride, CrossRocs with Pythons, Titec X-wing post, I think that's all

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Jersey C.I.

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2001

Strengths:    Lightish, Good groupset for the price

Weaknesses:    Read on..

Bottom Line:
Apart from 3 months of waiting (during this time I was sent a totally bent bike) at the end of which the local bike store sourced a bike from a shop in England, this bike was great before I started experiencing problems with the rear shock mount to the frame. Unfortunately it has not withstood 2 years of riding the trails in Jersey. Problems started when the bolt at the top of the shock kept loosening because the bolt hole on the left was slightly ovalised. In attempting to solve this problem I overtightened the bolt and out on a ride the bolt snapped. Whilst awaiting a replacement from GT I used a DIY store bolt which did the job for the 2 months I had to wait. The new bolt (which had to be sourced from elsewhere because GT could not be bothered, but was the same as original, lasted two rides before snapping on a smooth trail causing an accident. I now await the replacements for the extra bits I lost in the crash, but I'm not holding my breath, and I will never buy a GT bike again!! minus five Chilis for GT Europe. Two for the Bike as its good for the cliff paths which I would describe as mild to medium in technicality, it just has some issues with that mount, oh and that plastic cap on the Syncros stem which i also had to replace with a customised metal cap.

Favorite Trail:   All cliff paths without long sets of stairs

Purchased At:   Local bike store

Similar Products Used:   Not similar but my other bike is a 5 year old Orange P7.

Bike Setup:   Stock, but for Avid cable disks, XT brake levers, XT shifter pods and rear derailer.

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Canastota NY USA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
Follow up review: I bought this bike, rode it for two years and loved every minute of it.....now I find a crack in the seat mast and am left hanging as to whether they're going to warranty it.... I didn't do big drops or big air with it so why the hell did it break and let me down????

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt on it

Purchased At:   Bike Loft

Submitted by Dylan Thibault a Weekend Warrior from Prince George, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2001

Strengths:    frame,fork,

Weaknesses:    rims & hubs

Bottom Line:
i wouldn't suggest these to a
free rider who does drops over
4.5 feet. if you like cross country
seek no farther just make sure you
don't bob in the saddle.
if you want to turn this bike into
a good freerideyou'll have to
invest almost $1000

Favorite Trail:   Learn To Fly

Similar Products Used:   Kona manomano,specialized enduro

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by N Bert a Cross Country Rider from Yokuska Japan

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2001

Strengths:    I-Drive is unique and nice to have when climbing hills.

Weaknesses:    Everything else including the tires that came with it that rubbed my frame away on the rear section and my hubs both died on me this past week so i had to buy new hubs front and back, the bearings in my pedals are also shot.

Bottom Line:
I loved the bike the first two months i bought it now I am always finding myself replacing parts on it i think by my one year mark i will have a brand new bike. I hopefully wont make this mistake next time i buy a bike, although i do like the i-drive.

Favorite Trail:   negeshie

Purchased At:   Cycle Cave Yokuska

Similar Products Used:   Just about all other double suspension bikes.

Bike Setup:   Mavic 517 ceramic wheels, chris king hubs, Shimano 858 pedals, yeti grips,

Submitted by N Wolfe a Weekend Warrior from Pa

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    ??

Weaknesses:    Many

Bottom Line:

After reading the other reviews I feel my bike may be an exception. Dispite everyone's praise, this bike is a turd. I have yet make it back to my car with the P.O.S. in working order. I should have bought a good pair of hiking boots instead. GT has completely ignored me and my shop tells me it's my fault-total BS.
This bike is perfect for anyone who loves to spend lots of time/money fixing their bike instead of riding it.

Favorite Trail:   whiterox