GT 2000 XCR-2000 Full Suspension Bike

4.19/5 (52 Reviews)

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by RUNDCM a Cross Country Rider from Olney Maryland

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2008

Strengths:    Design, ride,durability

Weaknesses:    The bottom shock bolt from the early version. Pacific owned built GT's actually got this corrected.

Bottom Line:
GREAT BIKE !! This is a review for those looking for a good used full suspen. This bike is good. Awesome good. Start by saying I've had it 8+ years & it still does well what it did in month 01. Things werent always this way. The original shock tabs bent and ruined the frame (month 6). Sent it in to GT & while they had it, Bankruptcy! So no replacement for the next 10 months. Needless to say I was disappointed with GT AND the shop that sold it to me as no substitute ride was offered.

Since getting the replacement frame (they did correct the issue by the way) it has been trouble free. It rides through technical stuff like no tomorrow. It climbs OK, not great but good enough. It rails turns GREAT. Decends suparb. Handles rock gadens SWEET!! After 7 years and NO maintainance to the fork of anything else for that matter, it STILL rides the same (almost, these is creak but am nursing it with graphite powder). Only complaint to date is the hole in the shock support frame piece is too small to take the factory bolt. Little play as a result but no major issue. Had to use a partially threaded shoulder bold Anyway IF you can confirm you have a post 2000 frame and your considering purchase this is STILL a sweet bike. Trust me I replaced it with a RIP nine & I can say the GT STILL holds its own. While I like the RIP, I believe GT set the bar high with the i drive design. 5 flamin turds for value 4 flamins for overall (because of the early issue) After 8 years this thing is still an object of desire. Not many things I covet after 7 years of riding... wife excluded ;)

Favorite Trail:   All

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   C.P. Bicycle shop

Similar Products Used:   Niner RIP 9

Bike Setup:   Sid Hydrair 100 Shimino XT discs, Fox rear, XT cranks, "Real" hubs...

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from Nevada City, California

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2006

Strengths:    a very nice ride. this bike is very forgiving while jumping. the fox float rear suspension is real nice esspecialy with the lockout.

Weaknesses:    the frame is a piece of crap. i bought it used with very little miles on it. I rode it about 40 miles and the bolt above the rear suspension cracked eventually cracking the frame a little. i was lucky and was able to get the frame fixed. i am a little worried about how this bike will preform in the future.

Bottom Line:
i would not recomend this bike for anybody. i thought it would hold up better. for the type of riding i did there was no way this bike should have broken.

Purchased At:   used off craigslist

Submitted by Brian Henning a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2002

Strengths:    When I first bought this bike, I really enjoyed the amount of cushion provided by the full suspension, and was psyched about hitting the trail. Tried several other comparable bikes, including GF Sugar, Giant NRS, Klein, etc. Nothing compared to the plush ride provided by the GT. So I hit the trail...

Weaknesses:    ...and after 8 months of use, the @$#%&ing rear shock bolt gave way and the frame cracked. I've read several other reviews on this site, and it appears that multiple persons have experienced this same problem. The bike shop that sold me the GT also explained that at least 5 of their customers had experienced this problem. They were offering $200 upgrade to the Giant NRS 1 frame (switch over most other components). I'm doing the same after reading the positive reviews on the NRS 1.

Bottom Line:
Wish this bike would have held up because it was by far the most comfortable, but it's a shame that so many riders are having problems with the frame cracking. Apparantly Pacific (company that bought GT) is hitting most of the bike shops in the Colorado area to reinvigorate commitment to GT products, but I don't think they'll be able to drum up enough support. Also learned that the cracking problem was due to the frames being overheated during treatment, and now the new frames from Pacific are being manufactured out of Taiwan, but haven't learned about their durability, and don't really care at this point given what I've learned and read. See ya GT!

Favorite Trail:   Amass Back, Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Campus Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Previously rode a hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Got rid of the Koski brakes and replaced with Shimano XT, most other components are XT as well.

Submitted by Uncle-aLz a Cross Country Rider from Irvine, CA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Strengths:    i-Drive, looks and performance!!!

Weaknesses:    NONE!!!

Bottom Line:
I've place approx. 1500 miles on this bike both mountain and road and it has worked out awesome! I weigh 200 pounds and (knock on wood) I haven't broken anything yet. I love the bike and the i-Drive is great. GT/Pacific is coming out with their new line of mountain bikes and they're going to somewhat stay lookin the same.

Favorite Trail:   Crystal Cove, CA

Purchased At:   Jax Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Fox Racing Vanilla RLC Forx, RL Rear, XT Components w/XT hydralic Disk brakes...

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Henderson

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Strengths:    I-Drive is sweet!

Weaknesses:    FRAME! Seat Pod has numerous cracks...First showed up after only 8 months of riding now getting worse...

Bottom Line:
Called Pacific Cycle LLC today Dec. 26 2001 re waranttee... they openly admitted that the seat pods are "faulty product" and suggest I bring it to a local retailer... No waranttees will even be considered until February 2002. Company says they are waiting for shipment of new I Drive frames from Asia. However all other GT waranttees will only last for a year from purchase date. Why then are retailers selling this frame on their floors?? A law suit waiting to happen perhaps a recall is in order guys... Sure hope my seat pod stays together until Feb...

Favorite Trail:   409 Crested Butte CO

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bike Depot (Chapt. 11)

Submitted by Brian a Downhiller from Riverside, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2001

Strengths:    Great pedaler, fairly light

Weaknesses:    XCR 2000 Frame quality is terrible. My frame has cracks all over it. GT won't warranty it.

Bottom Line:
The biggest drop I did was 4 foot and the frame has cracks all over it.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   Campus Bikes

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS, which also cracked

Bike Setup:   mr.t fork ect.

Submitted by Hunk a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2001

Strengths:    Price, at first.

Weaknesses:    Rear end feels weak. Top shock mount is know to break and mine did after 100 or so miles of use.

Bottom Line:
This frame blows. Bottom Line. According to my bike computer I have 132 miles on this frame. The mileage includes 1 race, light trail riding, and general riding around the hood. I did not do any drops higher than 2 feet, I did not put this thing through any abuse. I went out for a light ride on the local canal trail the other day. As I got up to sprint, I heard a clank. I thought it was the chain. Only after finishing my ride did the top shock bolt fall out and I noticed the area around the bolt was bending and starting to crack. All this after a 100 or so miles.

That isn't the worst of it though. The worst shop in the world (wheel world) told me to call Pacific and deal with them. Pacific has been great to deal with, but they want me to ship through an authorized gt dealer. I want Wheel World to handle it being that I spent $1,000 for the frame, front shock and derailleur. Until Wheel World does help me out, I will continue to bash them any chance I get. Bottom line, the GT frame sucks and Wheel World is even worse. However, if they choose to help out, I will retract this statement.

Favorite Trail:   Any legal trail

Mavic Rims
Etc.

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2001

Strengths:    Slow speed stabilty, relatively good pedal efficiency for a 4" travel bike

Weaknesses:    The WEEEEAAAK upper shock mount on frame. I have cracked two frames.

Bottom Line:
As much as I first liked the bike, I will never put my leg over another I-Drive piece of s**t frame again. Any abuse that I can throw at that thing it should have taken with ease. The first time that the frame cracked (buckled), I was literally on the most tame section of trail and I slid right of the seat because the seat mast completely buckled!
I had a hell of a time with the warranty because it looked like such a huge impact. Then a new frame and a couple months later I took my bike into a shop for some routine maintenance and SURPRISE, two hairline cracks in the frame!

To the guy below that can't believe the stories of this happening, believe it. Look at the Mountain Bike Action website (ask RC), there are more stories (a lot more).

IF YOU DO ANY TECHNICAL OR TRAIL RIDING AT ALL, DO NOT BUY THIS FRAME. Obviously GT was tired of everyone telling them how beefy the 99 I-Drives were so they cheaped out on frame material. No chillis for the overall rating as who the *#%$ wants to deal with this, especially now that GT is bankrupt.

Favorite Trail:   Any Mt. Tzuhalem Trail

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro, Brodie Thumper

Bike Setup:   Formula Discs, XT hubs and cassette, Psylo XC forks

Submitted by Eric Appis a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2001

Strengths:    i-Drive, weight, parts, etc...

Weaknesses:    Seat Post

Bottom Line:
Great Bike, Love this bike, anyone that rides it wants to know where to get one. Really too bad GT is selling their bikes to Pacific....The sad thing is that now you may find them in Wal-Mart with cheap parts on them...we'll see. Keep an eye out for dealers selling GT's cheap to get them off the floor. If you find one, buy it!!!

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Bike USA - San Diego

Submitted by reid hatch a Cross Country Rider from portland

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2001

Strengths:    all around tril riding is great. seated uphill pedaling goodfor the amount of travel.

Weaknesses:    rear shock upper mounting bolt has a design flaw or they don't make abolt strong enough.

Bottom Line:
another reviewer said something like "if anyone breaks this bike ,they are doing something wrong or don't know how to ride" well in my opinion this person is a fool who doesn't know what he's talking about. i am a decent rider who has broken 2 i drive frames doing stuff this bike absolutely should be able to handle. i learned to love riding this bike on many epic rides and also raced it at the sea otter classic in one of my best times. my bottom line is GT does not give anything near prompt service(2 plus months waiting)and the bike did not hold up to normal fun use.buy a specialized and be sure to lock it up.

Favorite Trail:   too many to list in OR

Purchased At:   fat tire farm

Similar Products Used:   specialized FSR XC PRO (this bike rocks)

Bike Setup:   100mm judy race,gremaca discs,

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Nash., TN area

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Strengths:    Feels light in spite of the weight, agile, fast and slow, consistent and predictable.

Weaknesses:    Me, and, flexy seat stays under hard braking

Bottom Line:
My ex-racer buddy(195-210lbs) bought this same bike(med. frame) and bent the(weak)upper shock pivot bolt which deformed the mount flanges. GT warranteed the frame but replaced it with a XCR1500; the shop swapped over all of the parts. When I rode it it felt like a sports car compared to my Lg. frame XCR4000 but I didn't like the brakes(Koski's) or the seat(SDG). I saw the deal on this frame/shock and Manitou Mars at Supergo and decided to spec. my own parts from JensonUSA(great to work with). I feel like my bike is better than the factory spec.'d bike. I can't tell the diff. between XT & LX components. Everything works great on this bike, but the brake booster is a must. LX brakes are much better than Koski(sorry Koski).
I hover around 170-180 lbs. and we climb and descend anything that won't cost a paycheck, and we can fly through
twisty singletrack w/excelent control. Some people say this bike is twitchy but I call it sporty. I have never raced but started riding w/zero excperience in 98' on my XCR4000
and feel like the i-Drive bike is the best bike for the all around, nonspecific rider. I haven't broken anything on this bike. Athough maintainence is a must, I give this bike top ratings for my own presonal type of riding.

Favorite Trail:   Earth

Purchased At:   frame, fork & shock, Supergo; build kit, JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   99'XCR4000

Bike Setup:   LX Hollowtech, XT hubs & cass.w/Mavic 517's,Maxis Mofo XC's, LX F&R der.s, LX brake/shifter pods w/vis. ind./ LX brakes, Manitou Mars, Fox Float RC, Kalloy riser bars(minus 1.5"width), Jamis stem, FSA hd.set, Time ATAC pedals, Nashbar Carbon brake booster and Serfas Rx seat(a must@40+).

Submitted by ian a Racer from peterborough, cambs, uk

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Strengths:    excellent all round bike, good parts, good strong frame. best bike i've ever bought.

Weaknesses:    SID forks on the front, bike feels unbalanced with only 3" at the frotn and 4.5" at the back. the seat is poo too. but thats personal choice. i had a leaky rear shock too

Bottom Line:
i've set mine up as a lightweight downhill bike or free ride bike if thats what you wanna call it. as standard its fine. the forks are too short. the bike handles so much better with a set of 4"+ forks the head andgle is slackened slightly but this is a good thing. the bike is less twitchy. xc riders will perfer the sid's. anyone else should change em soon as poosible. havign come from a number of bikes, form my gt team bike to my old kona dh stab. this is the best bike i have ever bought. the colours are a bit weird, but if you buy a SHIFT commando top it matches perfectly.

Purchased At:   woodston cycles

Similar Products Used:   all the xcr range, santa cruz heckler, kona stab, gary fisher, trek fuel, giant atx

Bike Setup:   stock bike apart from, RST 6" DH forks, easton bars. XTR rear Mech, grimecca disks. x lite seat. soon to have syncros cranks.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Whistler

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2001

Strengths:    i drive makes for smooth pedalling. You don't notice the weight alot when riding up hill (coming from an aluminium hardtail). Feels plush on the decents. Very sturdy has not needed alot of repairs yet.

Weaknesses:    Front end to steep with factory rock shox sid (feels like you are going to go over the bars if you do a bit of a drop off). Personal preference I like a sturdier drive train than the Shimano LX cranks and rings that came with it.
Syncros stem and bars not sturdy enough for what the bike can do.

Bottom Line:
Looking for a good value dual suspension this is the one. Sturdy and reliable what more could you ask,for whether you just cross country ride or do more technical riding it can keep up. This will move your riding to a new level.

Favorite Trail:   all in Whistler