GT 2000 LTS-2 Full Suspension Bike

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by aaronbr a Cross Country Rider from Elyria, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    Strong frame, great look, wonderful rear suspension design, good component spec (except fork).

Weaknesses:    Only weakness is it's age. MCU sprung fork, bushing pivots and rear suspension design does not allow the use of V-brakes or disc brakes. Not a big deal back in 1996 but it now makes the bike very hard to upgrade and maintain.

Bottom Line:
Wonderful bike! Still rideable to this day! I rode this bike for 12 years before buying my Kona and the only reason I finally bought a new bike was because it became very difficult to find repair parts for my GT LTS-2. What I miss most about riding the GT is the quick handling. I do not know what the head tube angle for the GT is, but I'm thinking the Kona must be slacker because I can't take tight turns and switch backs as fast as I can on the GT. The GT's rear suspension feels just as good as the Kona I currently ride which says a lot since it’s a 13 year old design.

This bike has taken me on many great rides. Hawaii, San Diego, Vancouver and Ohio, it's done it all. Only problem with it is the age. It's almost impossible to find repair parts for it and no matter how good I clean and lube the lower bushings they will squeak like a well used bed in a brothel if even the slightest amount of water gets on them. It really is terribly annoying.

All in all the GT LTS line was a very well designed bike which outlived any new parts being made for it. They eventually redesigned the rear suspension to accommodate V-Brakes but at this stage it wasn’t worth looking for a newer “rear triangle” just to put better brakes on the bike.

I love the looks and comments I get when I do decide to take it out for a spin and people see the brushed aluminum frame with the first year orange Marzocchi Bombers on it. This GT was money well spent. This bike would be great for anyone wanting a bike with “cult classic” appeal. With a few key part changes this bike is just as good as any new designed bikes of today.

I gave this bike a 4 Flamin’ Chilies for overall rating due to the Quadra 21R fork it came with stock. I changed that out right away.

Favorite Trail:   Vultures Knob

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop, HI

Similar Products Used:   2007 Kona Dawg

Bike Setup:   Stock derailleur’s, Rock Shox Super Deluxe rear shock, 1997 Marzocchi Z1 Bomber

Submitted by Jake from Pittsfield,Massachusetts,USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2003

Strengths:    This product is a sterdy product and can do just about anything that other bikes can.I ride with a Diamond Back and i can keep up with no trouble on the way down the Mountain.

Weaknesses:    You dont get a great amount of travel.

Bottom Line:
This Bike Rocks. It can keep up with all the others. Its better for Smaller riders but can be used as well by bigger riders.

Favorite Trail:   Behind Onota Lake

Purchased At:   $300.00

Similar Products Used:   This is My first real bike but I've demoed the Diamond Back and with the proper parts it can be just as good.

Bike Setup:   The fork i have on there for now is a Rocks Shox Indy XC.I have a Rocks Shox Coupe delux. I have a koski stem and handelbars.

Submitted by Shaun a Downhiller from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2003

Strengths:    Light, Reliable, good for freeride

Weaknesses:    fork sucks bottom line. not enough suspension travel for heavier riders, The seat hurts my ass a bit too

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike for lighter weight riders like my friend and it is easily upgradeable. It takes freeride abuse good but i am 6' 160 pounds and my diamondback is good for me. BUT THIS IS A GREAT BIKE ! BOTTOM LINE

Bike Setup:   youll have to ask jake ( my friend its his)

Submitted by john a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2001

Strengths:    This is an awesome machine, however its a 2000 LTS-2 they dont make them anymore. It has great components and a super strong frame..attention to quality!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
Go and buy one now, this is the best bike I have ever had! Great for downhill runs, good solid frame and great to throw around. This bike is for people who want to get into some serious mountain bike riding. And that is what its all about. Please feel free to email me if you're going to purchase one.