GT 1999 XCR-1000 Full Suspension Bike

4.4/5 (62 Reviews)

1999 GT XCR-1000, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Thomas Scrinzi a Cross Country Rider from Altach Austria

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2007

Strengths:    nice quality, the bike still looks brand new and work fine.

Weaknesses:    Seat and the Brakes

Bottom Line:
I-Drive works fine but i had to adjust after a hard down hill ride.
Breaks should be XT not LX

Favorite Trail:   everything you can ride

Purchased At:   Wheel on the Planet

Similar Products Used:   KTM 3000G
Prototype

Bike Setup:   Orginal Setup

Submitted by Gerald Heuman a Weekend Warrior from Seattle Wa. USA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth ride, good looks, good components, light weight. and it is unique. Not to many otheres like this are out there. This baby still looks new and turns heads.

Weaknesses:    I have found none at this time.

Bottom Line:
Here we go, "The Bottom Line". In reaserching the pros and cons of this bike there was one major con that kept popping up. This was it"s frame design. There is a problem with bad welds on the seat post mount on some units. But in digging further into this problem, it became clear that most of the post where about people using this bike out side of it's design parameters, or pushing the bike to far. A large group of posts were from riders doing hard trail riding, or heavy jumping and or down hilling with their bikes. Granted at around $3000 one would think that one can do this and not have their investment break on them. (It is my bet that GT tried to design this model to be an all "around unit", and did not take into hand that there are people out there who want to get the most out of a ride, and would push the limits). But I digress. If you are looking for a unit that can be used for city streets, and going on the dirt trails, this is a good choice. Don't use this bike to jump the house or run it off the edge of a clif. This frame will not hold up to that type of use. It was designed to be used in a "trail riding, mountain biking" type application. For me this bike is a dream come true. I was going to buy a new Giant, but when this 7 year old beauty with her good looks was spotted, I was hooked. Happy Riding
Jerry

Favorite Trail:   Almost any Trail

Purchased At:   The Local Pawn Shop

Similar Products Used:   Giant (Sadona SE), Diamond Back (Ascent EX)

Bike Setup:   This unit was the Millennium Edition, made for the model year 2000. The Millennium Editions were custom ordered from the dealers and could be oufitted with almost any parts, and were priced from $2000 to $3600 US. This unit came with the following items on it:
Front Shock- "Rock Shox Judy XL-C" extended travel.
Rear Shock-"Fox Vanilla Float RC".
Brakes-"Shimano XTR "V-Brakes Rim Style".
Rims-"Valiant 26".
Tires-"Panaracers Fire RC Pro".
Rear Cassette-"Shimano Laser Cut XTR".
Front Ring Gears and crank-"Shimano XTR with Bio Pace".
Saddle-"Sella Italia".
Handle Bars-"Easton Monkey Lite" Carbon composite.
Color-"Mango over Eggplant". (custom for this edition and year only).
Originally ordered by Moab Cyclery and cost $3129.00 US.

Submitted by russ knell a Weekend Warrior from leeds

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2006

Strengths:    versatile, strong(so far) positive ride, lite for a full sus.

Weaknesses:    not much for me, you do need to change quite a bit to get it right. value ratings down because i spent quite a bit and i am again!

Bottom Line:
standard can be iffy, but the frames are wicked if you get a US built one and not a far east one.i think the last US built ones may of been 2000/2001, build it to what you want and there is no stopping you. up or down. DH specific is a bridge too far but the kind of down hill you find on natural trails ect it kicks as~. climbs fantastic.best climbing full sus ive tried yet.
some say its heavy but i go riding with a lad on a pace RC303 (great english hard tail) and fully built up his only just shades mine. like it so much i bought another frame(i-drive 4.0) which ive stripped and sprayed to build a heavy duty more aggresive bike, 150mm travel, big rims,disc front and back etc. GREAT FRAME! not made for fattys!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   scott FX G Zero X2, Gary Fisher cake 2 delux, cyote(something-cant remember)and a second gt(idrive 4.0)

Bike Setup:   hope M4 front disc(185) on a specialized stout 12mm bolt through hub and mavic X221 rim, marzocci marathon sl forks, chris king a-head,hope 90mm stem, easton ea70 monkey light bars. race face xc chain set,dmr v8's,xt bb,xt chain,xtr f/mech,xt rear,ea70 post, selle italia TI saddle, xtr rear v-break, lx rear hub,mavic 717 rim,xt cassette,and panaracer fire Xc pro's F+R.

Submitted by Tebashe a Cross Country Rider from Chatou

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2004

Strengths:    I've had this bike since '99. I've ridden parks and trails from california to Illinois to Spain to The Netherlands. This bike Kicked much A#§. This was my first full suspension and i can tell you the way I was able to attack hills made me feel like a super jock when I bolted past my buddies on the upsides... The chosen stock equipment has served me well up till today. ALL XTR dont hurt eh?? The only thing i've had to replace are brake pads and chanrings, and headset. Point and ride ease of use. Whereever I placed the front tire she'd go. My problem was only placing the front tire!! (read below)

Weaknesses:    I had trouble with speed and cornering. I could never get into a corner with the stability I liked. i don't know why. Maybe my riding style was too squirrely. At times I could hit the downside of a hill with some speed behind me. I'd point and go she'd folloz my every whim on the descent, however when i'd have to recover into a turn, I had to burn some brake pad, in order to get in and out of the corner safely. Front end seemed a bit light in short.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Yesterday on 44K XC I snapped the seat post on an uphill (Nope no scrotum stitches - Thank God. hozever i hadn't been so disappointed in years. how could Gt make such a great bike with a seat post flaw?? Crap.. Oh well now I'm searching for my next GT victim. I've ridden others but considering the uphill performance and overall durability of the XCR I'll stick with GT!!!

Favorite Trail:   Foret du Port Marly

Purchased At:   Van Nuys California

Similar Products Used:   tried many loved one!

Bike Setup:   Factory XTR

Submitted by unhappy a Cross Country Rider from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2002

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    The frame and GT

Bottom Line:
These frames have some sort of design flaw. I ride with a group that purchased 7 GT full suspensions ranging from the XCR LE to the 1.0. EVERY SINGLE ONE developed cracks in the frame. Most around the seat tube area. GT/Pacific will do nothing to support my LBS guy when he tries to collect on warranties. My bike was not even a year and a half old.

Submitted by PC a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2001

Strengths:    Very strong, some low level squeak in the I-drive but clean and lube took care of that. Have done nothing but hard hitting riding. From the streets of Boston to the side of Loon Mountain and even some riding in Belgium!!

Weaknesses:    squeak as mentioned, decals have peeled after some VERY hardcore riding. Tires aren't very quality but what do you want?

Bottom Line:
Bought a XCR3000, CRACKED the frame, so GT replaced the frame with a 1000 frame and FOX air shock, offered to sell me all upgraded componants at a lower price, but I was fine with what I had. Took very good care of me. I even got a call from a district sales rep to fix things up. Have had great experence helping a friend buying a GT as well. A little tough to learn to ride. I say if you got a billion to blow shoot for this, if not don't even try.

Favorite Trail:   Tick-tock

Purchased At:   didn't

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, Gary Fisher, Trek

Bike Setup:   modified stock, (see Bottom-line)

Submitted by Yogi from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2001

Strengths:    I Drive.(best FS concept means no chain jag while pedaling during heavy R susspension action... The BEst climbing bike cause of this.
Push harder up a hill go faster..And fly past everyone on the uphill.
Tracks really nice on the down hill.
Not my favorite at XC race day but very very good for the LONG HAUL

Weaknesses:    Heavy.
The company has gone KAPUTSKI NO WARRANTEES NO MORE.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic comfort bike with the ability to do any trail concidering the steepr down hill you go the shorter stem and lower seat. Its a great bike, alas its a tad heavy.
I have raced this macine XC and used it as a city basher too... it dont like going down steps too much with high preasure slicks very much but it can hack the beating...

IMPORTANT: ALWAYS TIGHTEN THE DOG BOLT(Small hex in large head(bad design)) to make the I-Drive unit last longer... mine lasted 2 years of abuse and exchanging the bearings was easy(compared to some)

Great Value cause of IDRIVE.

Very great all round bike.

DONT FORGET... dont expect a warrantee with this bike anymore.

Favorite Trail:   Anything technical

Purchased At:   Le spit Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   nothing is similar to the I DRIVE

Bike Setup:   XC. long stem, high seat

Submitted by Greg Carmichael a Racer from Issaquah, WA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    i-drive

Weaknesses:    GT/SCHWINN CUSTOMER SERVICE
PIVOTS WEAR OUT VERY QUICKLY

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY GT/SCHWINN PRODUCTS. Since this company is bankrupt, they are not warranting products or shipping parts. My main pivot has about a 1/4 inch of slop side-to-side, I have a local shop doing the warranty, GT has the parts, but will not and cannot ship anything. What a joke...What's really frustrating is that the rear pivot is just going to wear out again in a couple of months of riding...If you're buying a full suspension frame, spend the extra money and get a frame that has sealed cartridge bearings at all pivots. It may cost twice as much now, but it will save you money in the long run and you'll have a lot less headaches...

Purchased At:   Supergo

Submitted by spencer bob from aklsdfj

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2001

Strengths:    nice good bike

Weaknesses:    spencer owns one

Bottom Line:
nice bike

Similar Products Used:   giant atx-1 team dh

Bike Setup:   cruiser style

Submitted by Ormond Jobin a Weekend Warrior from Toronto ON Canada

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2001

Strengths:    Wicked trail bike

Weaknesses:    GT is the worst bike co. out there. DO NOT BUY GT EVER. The upper shock bolt broke. GT will not let me buy a replacement direct. In Canada, Norco is the dealer and they suck @#%&. It has been almost 3 weeks since i ordered a replacement, Still waiting.

Bottom Line:
Before you buy any GT make sure your dealer has replacement on hand or do not buy. Most bike stores suck.

Favorite Trail:   Toronto Don

Purchased At:   Sport Swap

Similar Products Used:   None.

Submitted by Jonny D a Weekend Warrior from Auckland newzeland

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2001

Strengths:    This bike used to climb like a mountain goat but with my seat up it only goes in one direction ,DOWN!!!
its a downhill and duel slalom beast now.

Weaknesses:    bit flimsy but hey what do u expect from a xc bike set up with long travel

Bottom Line:
my bike is a monster now and i love it
its huge and can take the hits of NZ secondary school DS nationals. i love this beast .
it makes a few clunks every now and then and im expecting her to snap one day but hey live it up whilst its still goin ay

Favorite Trail:   LEVIN NATIONAL DOWNHILL

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Similar Products Used:   UMMM dunno

Bike Setup:   ROCK SHOX pshylo sl , BRAND NEW REAR SHOCK Fox Vanilla Ds (with short travel) ahhaha , full xt components

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from the greater midwest

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2001

Strengths:    Very good climber. Excellent downhill. Some what light for a dual suspension bike.

Weaknesses:    I am now on my THIRD frame. I don't mind this that much except to say that the first frame broke very unexpectedly and caused my to miss 5 weeks of riding due to the 43 stitches that were placed in my sack (as in scrotum). The "seat mast" snapped in the worst possible location at the worst possible time--a CLIMB no less!

The break has also occured on the subsequent "warranty" frame that GT sent me. On my most current frame all is well so far--I've only ridden it a dozen times on the sidewalk.

Bottom Line:
When it works, it works well. I have had the best and worst of times on this. It also works well as a pick up line with easy biker-chick women. I bet them their pants that this really happened--it can only be proved by the scar tissue. Once I prove my "scar", bada bing! Like I said, I've had the best and worst of times on this bike. I would not recommend this experience to anyone else though.

Favorite Trail:   love canal

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar, Kona Stab,

Bike Setup:   Factory stock. New seat & seat post now.

Submitted by Pablo Escalante a Weekend Warrior from Mexico City

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2001

Strengths:    Overall frame quality. Very plush and confortable ride. Looks. i-drive. Greate handling.

Weaknesses:    Uneven travel in standard setup.

Bottom Line:
This is the greatest bike I have ever ridden. It handles great, climbs great, descends great and it’s so comfortable. The complete bike is expensive, however, I would recommend anyone to buy at least the frame and build it up according to you budget if you want to have one very serious bike. Doesn’t matter which components you chose. This b

I bought my frame here in Mexico for us$900.00 and built the bike importing parts as frequent as I could for over a period of 8 months. I got a little carried away and ended up with a slightly better setup than that of the standard setup (almost for the same price). That is except for the Sid XC fork which, although is great, I would have preferred on the long run to buy a Sid 100 to match the rear suspension. This would have increased the price but with the benefit of having a really great all-purpose bike. The longer travel would surely be appreciated in any single track/free ride experience. This bike is just worth the price.

Buy this bike and you will have heads turning while you pass as the proud owner of one of the best rides ever built. Don’t buy it... your head will be turning as you spot one.

Bike Setup:   Vanilla Fox R. Rokshox Sid XC. Avid ArchRival 50 Brakes. Shimano XT Components, Spinergy Spox M1 Wheelset. Panaracer Fire XC Tires

Submitted by Greg Carmichael a Racer from Issaquah, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2001

Strengths:    I-drive for climbing
Fox shock for plushness
Good Lookin' colors and design

Weaknesses:    Weird clicking noises from I-drive
Heavy for x-country racing
No rear disc mount

Bottom Line:
Just a sweet all-around frame to build up. I run two different set-ups: one for freeriding and jumping, then swap the tires, bar/stem, and pedals and it becomes a great cross-country race or 24 hour race bike.

Favorite Trail:   Poison Spider - Moab