GT 1999 STS-XCR2000 Full Suspension Bike

3.67/5 (18 Reviews)

1999 GT STS-XCR2000, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Francisco Bazo a Downhiller from Vancouver,BC,Canada

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2001

Strengths:    Good handling in tight places. I can willie more with my GT XCR 2000 than with any other bike I've tried.

Weaknesses:    Too fragile for someone above 160 pounds.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike instead of the Norco VPS II because I do some cross country. I made a big mistake. The big mistake was trying to get one bike that is good for cross country and downhill, unfortunatlly that is just not possible.What I got was a bike too heavy for long rides and too fragile for the north shore of vancouver. I weight 190 pounds with my gear, maybe 200 but no more than that. I still love my bike but just for being a bike.The first serious break was when I did a very very steep rock face of about 15 to 20 feet and maxed out the rear air shock breaking the top support on the frame. I sent the frame for warranty taking almost a month for that. I sent the triangular part with the rear attached. They replaced the triangular and kept the old rear part, with a different color which I did not care. After putting everything together I noticed the rear going side to side and an ugly click click tieck teik noice. Bushings were trushed. OK we changed all the bushings and everything was the same. We phone the guys from GT and they told us that is because of the shock.....whaaat??? OK we put a new one and still the frustration. Then I took that ugly air shock and put a new fox with a 700 lbs spring which makes my bike feels a thousand times better but still the noice and the side to side movement of the whole rear part of the bike.Yesterday I took it to the streets for fun to do some lil drops and staf like that and the bushings gave so bad that if it was a dog would be the happiest dog alive, the tail just wags buadghhg. Now even one of my pedals is totally lose and there is no way to remove it from the crank and the other in bent. Tomorrow I am ridin my hard tail again because as always my GT is going back for warranty and takes for ever to come back.I am going to sell it as soon as I get it back and I'll get a Norco Shore. For cross country and long rides I'll use my steeffe cove of 23 lbs full XTR.

Favorite Trail:   Sexboy in the North Shore

Purchased At:   Cyclepath in Vancouver

Similar Products Used:   Norco vps 2

Bike Setup:   Z3 QR 20 XRT Rear, XT Front , 6" Hidraulic Hayes front and rear, sunlite rims and now 700 lbs fox rear shock.

Submitted by Reocreux a Cross Country Rider from St Etienne (France)

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2000

Strengths:    Very nice bike, looks like the lethal weapon for X-Country.
Carbon fiber frame, lifetime warranty, components, good rider (when it works).

Weaknesses:    The i-drive system is too complicated to work correctly. Because of the i-drive, there are a lot of noises near the BB, the system is always broken, the 2 bearings and the i-drive (with the dogbone) are always used, so my bike was more often in my local bike shop than at my home, I have been disgusted by GT because they didn' want to recognise that they were faulty (even if they have changed my frame under warranty, the problem was always here after the replacement). I have never had so many problems (cannondale f 900 97 and Jekyll 2000 Sl 2001)with other bikes. Now I've moved on a great Jekyll 2000 Sl year 2001, I've no more problems and I enjoy my rides because my bike works correctly without strange noises as on the GT.

If I can give you one advice : NEVER BUY A GT, you will regret it.

Bottom Line:
See above

Purchased At:   Jormabike

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale SV 900 (98), Cannondale F900 (97).

Bike Setup:   Mavic Cross Land

Submitted by Nigel Plummer a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2000

Strengths:    Strengths - Are you joking

Weaknesses:    Lots - read below

Bottom Line:
i am a very tough rider and bikes do tend to suffer when i use them.
a folded the front wheel on the 2nd day I had it
front forks adjuster broke
rear shock went wrong.
I drive kept needing attention and tightning.
chrome gets very scratched.
stickers fell off.
rear pivot was not made properly and so the backend moved around I bought new bearings but the damage was already done´
rear shock bushing wobble - caused because of the faulty pivot and also they use fully threaded bolts which tear the bushings to bits.
There was lots of noise as well because of the wobbly back end.
Never buy a GT. The bike spent more time in the shop being fixed than off road.
Good points - well thats a hard one.
handling was OK and it did climb hills very well.
looks stunning but with scuffed chrome and stickers falling off it sort of ruins it though.
I've had a Cannondale Raven before this that had the same sort of abuse and it took everything I could throw at it.
The bearing problem was that the 2 bearings at each end of the pivot were not apert but in fact one was in the correct place and the other one instead of being on the far left side was next to the right hand side bearing. Not a good thing at all.
Conclusion - Never buy a GT. Buy a Raven instead

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Raven 2000

Bike Setup:   upgrade to full XTR

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Waialua

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2000

Strengths:    Climbing and pedaling thru technical sections. Great tracking thru turns at high speeds. Very efficient...Loves to fly! One of the best all around high performance bikes for those under 165 lbs.

Weaknesses:    Not durable for more hardcore freeriding (big drops,slamming thru rocky sections at speed. Creaky at seat pod. Though a lighter rider (140-160 lbs) could do almost anything on this bike.

Bottom Line:
Well, I just wanted to give a final update since breaking the frame and returning it. GT authorized the shop where I bought it to replace the whole frame on the spot with a brand new STS XCR 1000, shock, i-drive and all! I went in prepared for a hassle and long wait, but Carl at the Bike Factory and the powers that be at GT stoked me out in a big way! GT comes through again.
Even though I just ordered a new Bullit, I'm gonna build my i-drive back up by early next week so I can get as many "last rides " in as possible before selling it to my friend. I know he'll dig it as much as I did!

Bike Setup:   xtr/xt, 517s

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Waialua

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2000

Strengths:    great pedaling up and through technical stuff

Weaknesses:    Not durable for very hard freeriding. Creaky.

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to update my last review. Since then (1 month ago) I've broken my rear triangle at the chain stay and blew out my SID XC fork. I have to still say that I've really enjoyed riding this bike over the past year, but now it's time to move on and "upgrade" to something more durable with more plush travel. I wish GT had a Freeride style bike with the i-drive. I'd just have them repace my frame with that. This is one of the best cross-country full susp. bikes I've ever ridden, but I would'nt recommend it for those who thrash their toys. Any one want to buy a new STS XCR 2000 frame? Think I'll buy a Santa Cruz Bullit next....

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Y-33, Intense Tracer

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR, SID XC, 517s.....

Submitted by Mark Bloom a Cross Country Rider from Waialua, HI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2000

Strengths:    i-drive works to maximize pedaling efficiency, great traction both up and down, looks mean!

Weaknesses:    Creaky where aluminum seat stay links to main carbon fiber triangle, must run rear shock (SID) with lots of air if you like to take big drops.

Bottom Line:
First of all, I'm 5'11" 185lbs and live to freeride! I am very hard on equipment. I've broken two of the bolts that link the rear shock, so I now run 225lbs of air in the rear shock to avoid the grief....Because of the higher air pressure the bike is less plush than I would like on rooty rocky stuff, but when I need it, the bike will still dish out about 4.5 inches of rear travel. No matter what anyone says, I think the i-drive works killer. I love to climb technical singletrack and this bike makes me love it more!
I'll ride down pretty much anything on this bike without thinking twice. It's a perfect balance between a cross country race full suspension and a true freeride bike. The best of both worlds for an aggressive rider who is semi-weight conscious but wants something that'll handle most anything. I've learned to live with the creaking but still make sure everything's tight before a ride.
It ain't cheap, but it's worth every dollar I've spent so far. Can't wait to take it with me to North Shore, West Vancouver this September. I'm bring'n an extra set of link bolts!

Favorite Trail:   Kahuku & Mililani areas

Similar Products Used:   Trek Y-33, GT LTS1, Santa Cruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   size-M, SID rear shock, SID XC long travel fork, XTR/XT mix, 517X with XTR hubs, Specialized Fear Master rear tire(2.3), Hutchinson On The Rocks II front, 747 pedals...around 27-28lbs

Submitted by rick chaffin a Weekend Warrior from martinez, ca.

Date Reviewed: September 2, 1999

Strengths:
overall comfort on long rides, traction on uphills, ability to descend at higher speeds.

Weaknesses:
weight, fireroad cornering due to higher center of gravity-amount of air pressure needed to prevent pinch flats, squeeking seatbracket

Bottom Line:
overall i'm very pleased with bike.i've noticed no loss of enrgy due to biopacing, in fact i can clear all technical uphills as good as or better than i could with my 23 lb. marin hardtail. main problem has been adjusting riding style to compensate for higher center of gravity. the only thing limiting downhill speeds is my ability- the bike is superplush on high speed technical downhills. made downieville downhill feel like a freeway!

pinenountain/downieville dh

6 months

gt lts,outland,

gt sts xcr 2000, z1-bomber fork w/ heavy (200 lb.) springs, sid rear shock mavic 517 rims, velociraptor tires

Submitted by ham man a Cross-Country Rider from nantucket

Date Reviewed: August 2, 1999

Strengths:
i-drive rocks!
suspesion aborbs whatever you go through,
with noloss of power when yourpeddling hard.
whoeverdoesnt like this bike is high!!
your peddling hard.

Weaknesses:
too many gears. it goes way too fast.

Bottom Line:
fat, fat, fat. period. people say the i-drive is a hoax. all i know is that i am riding faster, longer and better. sorry, got to go. going out on a six hour ride. FAT!!

beyond alter rock

3 months

cannondale super v, gary fisher jousha,specialized fsr

sid front and rear,xt, xtr combo

Submitted by james a Cross-Country Rider from WA Australia

Date Reviewed: July 3, 1999

Strengths:
I-Drive works, good freeride type bike

Weaknesses:
heavy, complex maintenance bits, wierd sizing, overpriced, not an XC bike like it wants to be

Bottom Line:
GT is right, the I drive works and this bike is not bad. Climbing is good, but bike is too heavy for hardcore climbing/XC racing. Decends better. Still a new product though, next years should be better. Anyone else reckon GT makes a very shor t(toptube) 18 inch frame? Very different to their hardtails.Overpriced in Australia, I can import a Turner for what their asking. Overall, good freeride bike, but could be much better.
GT might think XCR stands for XC racing - but you won't be seeing me on the track with one. RE the bottom bracket thing, who cares how it moves - the priciple works

eastern states varous

tested or demo'ed only

in dualies, specialised FSR, cannondale super v, giants, sintessi, konas, various others

stockers with 545 pedals, oh yeah, longer stem

Submitted by Lars a Racer from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
Obviously you cannot possibly test a bike like this by just demoing it. It takes hours to get the suspension dialed in. And unless you are graduate from MIT you cannot even begin to understand the complex nature of the I-drive. Also GT DOES NOT list the weight of their bikes. So they cannot possibly lie about it. Just because you cant afford a bike like this don't rag on it.

3 months

Submitted by bad boy a Racer from London

Date Reviewed: June 2, 1999

Strengths:
Strong, stiff and lightish. Looks the best out there. Designed very well, climbing is very good rather than excellent. But DHing makes up for that!

Weaknesses:
Must ride with rear shock at MAX, or it does BOBB a bit. Could do with better rims. No disc set up at rear.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike for the money, not that much between it and the 1000, slightly heavier but just as strong. Excellent all-rounder. For playing around, racing XC and DH (but no disc breaks for rear). CURRENTLY the best bike out there for the money !!. BUY it you will not be disapointed.

anything WILD

less than 1 month

Kona (stab dee,lux)
Cannondale Raven (discs) GT LTS, STS LOBO, Kona stinky,
and Marin.

all original equipment used, except atomic pedals

Submitted by Douglas Daniele a cross-country rider from north jersey

Date Reviewed: January 29, 1999

Bottom Line:

The verdict is still out because I.m waiting for my own bike to come in but let me ask all you guys,does anyone one of you actully own this bike that you are rating? no, I didn't think so....I just picked 3 chills because it was in the middle and you could'nt post this without it!

Submitted by Bicky a cross-country rider from Montana

Date Reviewed: January 20, 1999

Bottom Line:

I think that you all are flatlanders with stagnant backwater minds. First of
all I beleive that even if the distance between seat and bottom bracket does not change or doesn't(I've personaly have never felt the need to measure), the
fore and after position of bottom bracket does change in its relationship to
the seat. It has to. It does not take a rocket scientist to see, when simply
studying a picture of a URT, that the bottom bracket moves in direct
relationship to the movement of the entire rear triangle. Regardless if the
bottom bracket movement is up and down or back and forth or whatever,its
position in relation to the seat changes-PERIOD. Over rough terrain this is
felt at the pedal and that is not good. As far as the rediculous notion that
energy is stored in the spring and released I also will give my two cents
worth. Yes, it is true that the energy is stored in a spring and then
released, but the release of energy pushes the bike verticaly not
horizontaly. This creates a spring board action and does not contribute to
the forward movement of the bike. Therefor energy is wasted-PERIOD.
As far as the bike we are suppose to be reviewing here, I guess I am obligated to give my opinion seeing as how this is its space that I am
filling right now. G.T. lies about its weight. It is heavy and it feels
heavy. This is no lightweight cross country race bike. Heavy bikes climb
slowly and take more energy getting to the top. The pivoting bottom bracket
is big, ugly and unproven. Longevity is still a big question.
With that said, I must admit that I am extremely biased in favor of more
pure cross country designs and I am no freerider. This bike is extremely
plush and smoooooth. It may not be faster than my FS bike up the hill, but
it is a more capable descender than any lightweight XC race orientated bike.
So take your pick. The question still remains XC race or freeride mania.

Submitted by Bill Steele a cross-country rider from Brampton, Ontario

Date Reviewed: January 18, 1999

Bottom Line:

All suspension systems will bob if you ride ragged, the trick is to pedal smooth enough that your centre of mass doesn't move up and down. This is difficult to acheive, but it is possible to minimize the effects that your body bob has on the suspension. Most full suspension bikes also suffer from some sort of drivetrain induced compression or expansion, this is because the chainline shrinks or grows as the suspension is compressed. This is not a bad thing! When some of your leg energy is absorbed by the the spring on your full suspension it is stored in that spring, (for all intents and purposes you can ignore the damping because any modern shock worth owning hardly damps small amplitude compression and rebound)now when your power stroke ends and you are in the 'null zone' where pedaling generally doesn't input much energy into the bike's forward motion the spring will decompress and pull on the chain causing a net forward force. This is because of the first law of thermodynamics, energy can not be created or destroyed. So in effect the drivetrain interaction with the suspension helps to smooth out the power that is applied to your rear tire giving you more traction.
Now from a geometric standpoint the only things that matter on a suspenion system are how much the chainline changes when the suspenion compresses and the relationship of the seat to the bottom bracket. There are only three situations that can occur 1 the chainline is constant, but the seat to bottom bracket changes 2 the seat to bottom bracket changes and the chainline is constant or they both remain constant. (this disregards the forth alternative that I have only seen occur on the Storm DH) On the I-drive the seat to bottom bracket is constant and the chainline grows. There are simpler ways to acheive this situation, namely a monoshock setup such as Cannondale, Marin, Santa Cruz etc utilize. These designs closley mimic the performance of the I-drive with only one pivot, no eccentric bottom bracket, no dog bone. The I-drive is a rube goldberg design, it belongs to that class of moustraps that missed the point. Sure it works well, but with proper pivot placement a single pivot would perform exactly the same.
Now, a URT must have change in the bottom bracket to seat distance under compression, this is a geometric truth unless the pivot is located between the seat rails, however on many bikes the change consists of between 1/4 and 1/2 inch under full compression so it is understandable that it seems there is no change under a 1/2 inch of sag when most offer 4 plus inches of travel.
Now as to a review, the I-drive does work and someone riding it will enjoy its performance. Ultimately that's what any suspension should aspire to, performance for the rider. So I'm going to subtract one chili for an overly complicated design and one more for not providing for active braking (I know, that would just induce a more complicated design, but hey I need to be inconsistent) so Three Chilies

Submitted by Feid a cross-country rider from Harkonan

Date Reviewed: January 18, 1999

Bottom Line:

Obviuosly N has never riden a URT. Maybe softride is the only ROAD bike that has seat movement relative to the BB. Anyone can look at numerous FS MTBs that dont pivot exactly on the BB and SEE what bandicoot is saying.
Anyway, good design GT, except for the der relationship to the gears.