GT 1999 LTS-2000 DS Full Suspension Bike

4.11/5 (19 Reviews)

1999 GT LTS-2000 DS, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Marzocchi Bomber Z-1 BAM QR20, 5.0" travel fork

Submitted by Dylan Johnson a Downhiller from waynesboro,va,usa

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2006

Strengths:    the body is real tough

Weaknesses:    not for sure yet

Bottom Line:
gt r the best built bikes so if anyone likes downhill u should get the lts2000ds

Favorite Trail:   trails behind my house

Purchased At:   foothills cycle

Similar Products Used:   gt peformer

Submitted by Steven Angle a Downhiller from Mercersburg,PA U.S.A

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2003

Strengths:    Awesome when built with DH components

Weaknesses:    Bad uphill without lockout

Bottom Line:
This is the smoothest ride I have ever owned, the linked suspension makes a rough trail seem like a smooth road. Very good for wheelie drops over big ledges or cliffs.
This bike is good with a lockout for any cross country rider/trail rider, and it can take just about anything you can dish-out on the downhill!

Favorite Trail:   Devil's drop in

Purchased At:   another racer/private sale

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz/ super-8

Bike Setup:   Downhill components with a rear suspension lockout for trails.

Submitted by Martin Ryan a Downhiller from Hampshire, England

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Strengths:    Good front Sus, Strong light Frame

Weaknesses:    Small rear tire, no rear grip

Bottom Line:
A good strong bike thats well worth the money and is good to ride with clever back sus design. People who want a bike for all round riding buy this bike but people who just say they ride courses should not buy a bike like this because otherwise it is a waste of money.

Favorite Trail:   Some Downhill

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Cycle Kingdom

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Manchester

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2002

Strengths:    Frame geometry, scare factor marvelous Mazorrochi and rck shock super deluxe

Weaknesses:    Hayes cable actuated front brake
trunnion linkage (replaced with up-rated goldtech)

Bottom Line:
I purchased the bike from a bloke who's son got it on HP then decided to go to australia, his loss is my gain, the bike was low miles and required trashing.

I have thrown this bike at trails with far more confidence that i ever have before on any other machine, OK she is a bit heavy but when you have the performance you can make that work to your advantage.

Looking at the other reviews we all have similar stories as reguarding the trunnion, goldtech on hand (www.betd.co.uk) make all the required bits to sort this problem out.
if you pick one up with the original brake system this should be the first thing to remove, go for hope or magura

These reviews will be monitored by people looking to buy the LTS2000 second hand by now, it is a high maintaince machine, you may need to spend many hours fettling the bike to keep it trim but it will reward on the trail, and you can throw it downhill.

Favorite Trail:   coey brenin wales

Purchased At:   off some bloke

Similar Products Used:   specialised fsr enduro
cannondale fs900

Bike Setup:   magura julie front brake
tioga 2.1 factory DH front and rear
mavic 551 rims

Submitted by Jacob Blount a Weekend Warrior from Auburn, AL USA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2002

Strengths:    Great full suspension bike, very light (upgraded rims). i love it, it rides smooth as butta.

Weaknesses:    seat always comes loose. thats about it

Bottom Line:
This bike whips it. i got a great deal on it and i would say it is worth how much ever you pay for it, although i did buy it already upgraded. It is fast, and does not have much rear movement with every crank, I love this bike

Favorite Trail:   Bartam

Purchased At:   Bought used from a dude in AZ

Bike Setup:   GT LTS 2000 DS (duh), Mavic cross link rims, parancer fire xt tubeless tires, Marzocchi Z-1 Bomber, Rock shox deluxe on the back, XT shifters, Derailleur, brakes, LX crank and cassette, easton monkey bars, azonic headset (i think).

Submitted by Damian Hendren a Cross Country Rider from Tauranga, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Strengths:    Z1 Bomber Forks, full LX spec (no Deore slipped in where you can't see it)

Weaknesses:    RockShock Deluxe Rear Shock (blown twice), Hayes cable actuated hydraulic brakes (just don't work), rear top linkage (cracked twice), rubbish Michelin tyres (too light-weight and split), Mavic 221's (rear rim is spoked incorrectly on hub side and buckles easily)

Bottom Line:
Good points and bad points but over-all very average bike which I wouldn't have bought in hindsight.
Good hill climbing bike, not much bob, and good over mildly bumpy ground but doesn't handle any large jumps and even rutted tracks present problems at speed.
Probably suit a light rider (under 75kg)with cross country riding as main aim.
I rode mine for 13 months before the cost of maintaining it going outweighed (by a long way) starting again and getting a decent bike. For the first 8 months it did a bit over 5000km on the road towing a Bob Yak trailer, handled this well except continuous rear wheel damage - easy to pedal and good seating position for long rides. As soon as it got off road the bike started showing its shortcomings. Have kept it in the garage and now ride Giant AC2 off road.
Main problems were:
- Long stem & fork angle created steering problems with bike, doesn't track well and tends to twitch.
- Rear suspension action is reasonable , soaks up bumps and holds ground well on single tracks but does not handle any large jumps. Shock bottoms out too easily, have blown rear shock twice. Also bottoming out on large jumps transfers force up to top linkage arm on rear suspension, have cracked this twice and buckled it - due to age of bike replacement parts are getting hard to find. Because of set-up of rear suspension its hard to tune the bike where the suspension effectively works on normal tracks without completely bottoming out on a drop. Always a massive trade-off between cross country performance and jumping.
- Cable actuated Hayes hydraulic disk brake is very bad, performs worse than standard cable Hayes disk brake - in fact worse than standard V-Brake. Had to upgrade this to Hayes full hydraulic system which gave excellant stopping power.
- Z1 Bombers seemed very soft but moved to heavier grade oil which has given a better action. Very strong forks, handle big drops without damage so far.
- Rear wheel, Mavic 221, had been spoked road bike style and as result buckled continuously until it collapsed completely and chewed up rear derailuer & chain with it - moved to heavier duty box rim.

Purchased At:   Bonthrone Bikes, London

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn S10, Marin Pine Mountain, Marin Indian Fire Trail, Giant AC2

Bike Setup:   As standard except changed front disc to Hayes full hydraulic, heavy duty oil in Z1 Bombers, DH pedals, decent tyres - otherwise standard

Submitted by Gwyn Evans a Downhiller from Blackpool

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2001

Strengths:    The looks.........WOW! I bought the frame on its own and it rides sweet. Suspension is plush, easy to keep in top workin order.

Weaknesses:    Trunion collar that is supplied on the bike at top of rear shock snaps too easily and so if you don't have a new one.....get one. I got a new one from Goldtech and it is much stronger.

Bottom Line:
Top looks, top ride till the rear shock falls out. Then you get a new trunion collar from goldtech and ur away. No one can catch u on a GT. This bike is no different. More suited to the D/H er then the XC jeyboys.

Favorite Trail:   Rivington Pike

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes

Similar Products Used:   Giant warp ds 100
Specialized 98 FSR enduro

Bike Setup:   2001 jnr t's hs33(r) XC4 (f), LX/XT/XTR, D521, pazzaz d/h stem, outland bars, sdg saddle, wtb greseguard h/set, snafu grips, tioga d/h 2.1

Submitted by mike a Weekend Warrior from spokane

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    Frame strength, The ride it gives,PLUSH!!!!
Cornering,the ability to equip for DH or Freeride. It's a dated design but still viable.

Weaknesses:    bushing rearend, GT warranty, parts availability

Bottom Line:
I thought this would be a cheap easy bike to have and maintain, I was wrong. First off parts are hard to find, buy 2 of everything now, for the future. I'm a big boy at 6-4 250 lbs. so I needed a heavy spring for the rear, impossible to find a spring big enough for a Rock Shox super deluxe,RockShox was no help they told me the shock wasn't made for that heavy a rider,but what do you expect from RockShox. I had to switch out to a Stratos Helix to get a shock that will take the abuse a big body dishes out to the bike. That was a frustrating experience that took a month and 20 phone calls to different shops. ( finally ended up at 123bikes.com) Lock tite everything on the rear suspension or you'll lose it.
Ok now for the performance review:
Awesome, I love the ride this bike gives, it corners like nothing else. (short wheel base) big travel, an excellent freeride bike. I wouldn't take a drop over 5' with my weight but it handles 4-5 ' without any problem. I love this bike 4.5 flaming chilly turds.

Favorite Trail:   Bernard peak, Athol, ID

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Intense Uzzi DH, GT XCR 4000, Specialized FSR Big hit.

Bike Setup:   'Zocchi Z3 QR20+, Block style cnc stem,ringle bars,Avid mechanical disks, Kenda 2.6 tires,Stratos Helix Air-coil, XT this and that

Submitted by mike a Weekend Warrior from spokane

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    Frame strength

Weaknesses:    bushing rearend, GT warranty, parts availability

Ok now for the performance review:

Favorite Trail:   Bernard peak, Athol, ID

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Intense Uzzi DH, GT XCR 4000, Specialized FSR Big hit.

Submitted by michael a Cross Country Rider from simi valley, ca

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2001

Strengths:    Marzocchi Z1BAMQR20 provides 5 inches of travel, coil over oil rear shock also has 5 inches, supple travel, nice frame.

Weaknesses:    Z1BAMQR20 bobs alot, front brake was replace immediately (it was a cable actuated hayes), Bike is HEAVY.

Bottom Line:
For the price I paid this was a good bike to mess around with. The fork provided excellent travel, but perhaps too much. Out of the saddle sprints are out of the question on this bike. I recently sold this bike and have gone back to a hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Peak/Chumash

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Bike Setup:   LX drivetrain, pro tapers, Z1BAM, Avid SD MAG brakes/levers.

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Strengths:    Comfort and looks, bomber Z1 forks.
Great on single track.

Weaknesses:    GT service (or lack of it)

Bottom Line:
Had the bike for a couple of years and despite being a bit flabby, it has got me up some steep mountain climbs. My only problem has been with GT themselves. I lost a bolt from the swingarm 9 months ago and I AM STILL WAITING FOR A REPLACEMENT! Luckily a friend of mine is an engineer and made me a new one.
The service is cr@p.

Purchased At:   Cranx

Similar Products Used:   C'dale Super V

Bike Setup:   XT/LX, Z1, Mavic Crossrides

Submitted by Quasimoto a Weekend Warrior from Modesto

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2001

Strengths:    Overall it has held up well. I am a big boy 6'-3" 220 lbs. so I can be hard on it. Haven't broken anything major yet. Frame it solid. Installed the bearing kit that GT offered for a short time (they discontinued.) that tends to quite the link down a lot. Make sure you lock tite all the bolts on the LTS. I have lost a few on the trail. LTS is a proven bike, but can be high maintenance. Usually a good Idea to tear down and re-grease links at least once a year. Components that came with it sucked. Have upgraded all the LX stuff to XTR. this bike has a lot of travel 6" front and rear. Rock shock super deluxe has held, but time to send in for seals & gas at the end of the year.

Weaknesses:    Due to the frame design, and my size, I bent the seat post. due to the 31.6 size, not many products make one that big, however, race face has held for me for over a year. I found that I had to have the 1" offset on the seat. I felt to cramped without it. Creaks on occasion, mostly dry, dusty long rides. It is a really heavy bike though. Weighs in the low 30's. I call it the brick. Had a squeak that was driving my tech's crazy, after a full tear down and replacement of bottom bracket, my tech sprayed tri flow down the seat tube and it has yet to be heard from. GT wasn't much help with that Problem.

Bottom Line:
I am impressed that this bike has held up to my size and weight. Very sturdy. Great for the big guys. I have rationed that the weight means strength, especially since I haven't broken or cracked anything yet. I live with it. I pray to God that GT doesn't slip on customer service or quality since Magna bought them. How did that happen?

Favorite Trail:   Right now it's Pine Nuts / Nevada

Purchased At:   World of Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Trek.

Bike Setup:   XTR Drive train, Race Face Turbine Cranks, Avid Arch Supreme brakes, Race face seat post, Shimano 636DH Pedals, Mavic 517 wheels with Chris King hubs & headset. Rock Shock Super Deluxe.

Submitted by powderhoundpete a Downhiller from rossland bc canada

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2001

Strengths:    very plush 5 inch's of travel. I love this bike and it rides great but...

Weaknesses:    ...Let's start with the frame design. The rear linkage has so called travel chips. The travel chips wear out and causes unneccesary play or knocking. I tried all last year to get new chips but they "couldn't get any" now I am talking about canada's gt waranty here (norco) Anyhow I broke my rear linkage right at the worn out travel chip. gt warranty did not cover the cost. $120. Anyhow I bucked up and paid them! Next my rear shock blew up. I sent it back and it happened the next ride. Bell sports (rock shox) pulled through and replaced the shock. The hayes cable disc brakes beware!!! They Don't work very well and I had to send them back to warranty. They told me they were having lots of problems however it would be $100 to up grade. Any how my rear linkage is bent again and I am running v brakes just waiting to pay another 120 dollars to get me through another month or 2 on my bike And I still don't have new travel chips.

Bottom Line:
The bike rides great! Gt's warranty could use some help!

Favorite Trail:   high roller

Purchased At:   powderhound

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz Bullet.

Bike Setup:   tricked out with the heavest stuff I could find.

Submitted by Scott Spielman a Downhiller from Yigo Guam

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2001

Strengths:    This bike is the cadallac of bikes, very plush ride, responsive, excellent travel, great forks, EXCELLENT customer support.

Weaknesses:    My Frame cracked right at the upper pivot point right below the seat.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been nothing but good to me, when the frame cracked GT sent me a LTS 1000 frame, who can complain about that?! Sure it creaks every now and then in dry riding environment but a little judy butter and that all goes away. This is by far the best investment I made into a Mountain bike. I would recommend it to everyone interested in full suspension bikes. Would like to try the new XCR though, too bad they discontinued these bad boys.

Favorite Trail:   DownieVille Downhill