Giant 2001 XTC NRS 3 Full Suspension Bike

4.54/5 (52 Reviews)

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2004

Strengths:    NRS rear suspension system works as advertised, climbs wonderful.

Weaknesses:    Suntour crankset can be noisy and does not shift through the three chain rings well, will be my first upgrade

Bottom Line:
I have always wanted an NRS bike, and now finally have one. After owning other FS bikes and hardtails and a rigid single speed, I can say that this bike is the epitome of a good all around XC bike, comfortable, no bob rear suspension, quick handling and has room for alot of upgrades, although performs well in it's stock state. I was lucky to find this bike on Ebay, it had only been ridden a few times because of an injury. I am looking forward to many memorable rides on this bike.

Purchased At:   Won off of Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Giant XCR3000, Kona Stinky

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Ted a Cross Country Rider from Olympia, WA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2003

Strengths:    The NRS system is amazing at not bobbing during the climbs.

Weaknesses:    The front fork (judy) is not as strong as I would like. I upgraded to a Manitou Black and it made all the difference in the world.

Bottom Line:
This is a great all-round bike that can climb with the best of them. I would recommend the NRS1 or NRS2 based on the components offered on the bikes. I love the Avid disk brakes and the Manitou Black forks. I just couldn't pass up the great price on this bike.

Favorite Trail:   capital peak trail

Purchased At:   demo bike from Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   I rode hardtails before and this is the best of both worlds, it climbs like a hardtail and flies downhill like a full suspension.

Bike Setup:   Manitou Black fork, Avid mechanical disk brakes, UST tubeless wheels.

Submitted by Bikethrasher a Racer from QLD Australia

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2003

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    goddamb rear deralier hangers brken so many times, also the chainrings are pressed

Bottom Line:
well as my name says i thrash bikes. this is my first real mountain bike and i love it. its taken me of 2 meter flatland drops and only poped front tube (i knew it was to hard inflated!). just fineshed my first XC season and am going to DH the bike kicked ass, no bob sweet ride.

Similar Products Used:   epic and many sweet XC bikes

Bike Setup:   standard

Submitted by Scott a Racer from Pensacola, Florida

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2003

Strengths:    Stong, quick, climbs like a hard-tail but sticks to the trail like a FS.

Weaknesses:    none found

Bottom Line:
I was a anti-FS until I rode this bike. I was suprised at the way the suspension seems to automatically "lock-out" on those standing climbs or hard sprints. My average speed has increased significantly. Excellent frame design.

Favorite Trail:   www.porc.org

Similar Products Used:   Treak Fuel

Bike Setup:   Standard setup

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Montreal QC

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2003

Strengths:    Components, NRS feature

Weaknesses:    Thin frame tubing, ghost-shifts, and &)&#! dealers not knowing the bikes they sell. Can be time consuming to dial in. This is not a low maintenance rig.

Bottom Line:
Choose your dealer carefully as you want product knowledge and warranty support. My NRS has an ongoing "ghost-shifting" problem which makes repair shops really happy ($$$$$$$$$$$).

I have an outstanding warranty issue with Giant and will write more after judging their level of customer support. Getting the bike is only half of the service commitment.

Favorite Trail:   Locals Only

Purchased At:   Rather not give them free advertising !!

Similar Products Used:   Sugar, iDrive, Trek Fuel 80

Bike Setup:   Stock except, Avid Speed Dial 7's, Mavic 223's on Shimano Discs, HMX Disc Brakes, LX Crankset

Submitted by Blake a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2003

Strengths:    WOW...where should I start?! Almost everything on this bike is a strength...but the frame and the price (as compared to others).

Weaknesses:    Very few weaknesses...but I would say the stock Judy front fork and the SID rear shock are the lowest points on this bike...EXCEPT for the tires. You MUST get new tires, because the stock Michelin tires won't corner well if your life depended on it!

Bottom Line:
If you have an opportunity to pick one of these up, DO NOT HESITATE. The only difference between the NRS 3,2,1 and AIR is the component group, and you can outfit this baby with whatever you like!

Favorite Trail:   Norris

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale m400, Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z.1 front, Fox Van. Rear, XT drivetrain, XT shifters, XT brakes, SRAM 9.0 cassette, and a very comfortable, yet very cheap, CODA saddle.

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Merrick, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2002

Strengths:    Overall good quality. Smooth shifting. Rides like a hardtail - No BOB!!! Great feel to the suspension.

Weaknesses:    Front fork Judy C a little noisy and preload adjuster knob made kind of crappy.

Bottom Line:
I LOVE this bike. Although not top of the line, all of the componentry works very well. The Rock Shox rear shock works a thousand times better than the coil shock on my Mongoose. Not only is there no bob, the way the shock absorbs a hit and the smooth rebound makes it sooooo much better than the Mongoose coil shock. The no bob is probably due mostly to the NRS frame design, which is both light, quality made, and very strong. Shifting and riding is incredibly smooth. My only problem is when the chain is on the middle chainring and the smallest sprocket it makes a little noise. I haven't had this looked at and probably wont even bother it's so minor. I also had a problem with the Rock shox fork. The preload adjuster knob on the right side broke. Whatever the knob is attached to inside the fork cracked and the knob just spins so the right side is stuck in the stiffest setting. This is fine because that's how I like it and would have left it that way for 95% of my riding. Also I must say excellent customer service at Rock Shox. One quick phone call and they are sending me a new fork so I don't have to be hassled(Excellent, now I have a free back up). Bottom line, in my opinion this is an excellent bike that I would highly recommend. I'm a beginner/intermediate rider who mainly rides XC. I would highly recommend buying a left over for any bike, as the savings on a left over appear to outweigh the upgrades on a new model. I based my value rating on this bike being a left over. At full price I would take away one Flamin Chili. Also, FYI there is no sales tax in NH which made this deal even sweeter.

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell Woods

Purchased At:   Andy's Cycle, Keene, NH

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose hardtail, Mongoose full suspension Zero-G, and Gary Fisher hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Strengths:    Great Suspspension Design, Good overall COmponents for the Money, Light for class.

Weaknesses:    Seat is a little un comfortable, Front fork (Judy C) is a lttle noisy.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a good bike that can do EVERYTHING.... And Im pretty sure this is the only bike that will do it... It takes drops (not big... but rising) Take climbs effortlessly (i my be exadgerating) and ride beutifly (that im not)

Favorite Trail:   Hardwood hills (TNT)

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Fisher sugar 4+, Specialized enduro, Trek fuel, Kona Mahisomthing

Bike Setup:   Stock,thinking of changing for to a 99' Judy xc LT...

Submitted by JOHN a Cross Country Rider from piketon, ohio

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2002

Strengths:    handles great,climbs great,no pedal induced bobbing

Weaknesses:    poor seat,could ride a little more plush over the rough stuff

Bottom Line:
switched from a cannondale hardtail and i couldn't be happier. this bike climbs like a hardtail but smooths out the rough stuff and provides a more comfortable ride. the stock components seem to work fine as long as you keep them adjusted properly. the judy c fork needs to be upgraded but is reliable. for the money this bike is an extremely good value for anyone looking for a good quality full suspension bike. buy one and give it a try!!!!!

Purchased At:   LOCAL BIKE SHOP

Similar Products Used:   none,first full suspension bike

Bike Setup:   xt brakes and levers,xt rear der.,irc mythos xc tires,wtb speedv saddle

Submitted by Jeffrey Stuart a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2002

Strengths:    Price. Great rear shock and suspension system.Front Shock
Shimono clipless pedals

Weaknesses:    Front Derailer has minor adjust ment problems.

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I have ever owned and I would like to upgrade a few componets.This is the best bike for mountain biking.

Favorite Trail:   Galloping Goose in Telluride CO

Purchased At:   Bike City

Similar Products Used:   NONE first full suspension bike

Bike Setup:   great

Submitted by Jack Smith a Weekend Warrior from North Shore, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    Light, great climber, fast, great suspension

Weaknesses:    I should have got disc brakes! But I am content with V

Bottom Line:
I'm in love! I almost bought a single pivot big North Shore downhill bike. For my weight 140#, that would have been stupid. I now fly by the big-bikes on my way up and the dual suspension takes all the North Shore downhill trails great. I avoid the big drops though, fear=wisdom!

Favorite Trail:   North Shore Trails

Purchased At:   BSP Lynn Valley

Similar Products Used:   Specialised (>$), Giant single pivot something (like a tank!)

Bike Setup:   Changed clipless pedal for platforms, too scared to clip in for the North Shore

Submitted by Rao a Cross Country Rider from Jersey City

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2002

Strengths:    Great looking frame. Not all that light but it gets the job done. Components are cheap but I'll soon replace them all with time.

Weaknesses:    The bike is tough to a certain extend (if only I try not to abuse the poor thing) I broke the front derailleurs the first couple of weeks. The preplacement derailleurs (Shimano deore XL) really sucks. The gears change involunterily especicialy during hard climbs. some times they won't change at all -- that's when I curse the hell out of it-

Bottom Line:
The frame is great but the components are realy crapy. Over all, it's a great bike. It can handle all the abuse I have to offer-

Favorite Trail:   haven't found one yet

Purchased At:   Bercshire bike & blade

Similar Products Used:   Canondale M 700

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC NRS 3 full suspension-it's a beauty-

Submitted by ANDREW BARTLETT a Cross Country Rider from ST.JONH'S, NEWFOUNDLAND,CANADA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Strengths:    Top of the line frame. Good suspension (judy xc,sid rear shock). Brake levers

Weaknesses:    seat is hard on the butt. SUNTOUR crank

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the money. Good frame for up grades. good suspension, good tires. You'll need to replace the Crank if you don't take care of it already bent the teeth in it once fixed it's self over time

Favorite Trail:   oliver's pd trail

Purchased At:   Earle Industries

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Tommy (aka "Hack") T. a Cross Country Rider from Fayetteville(Fort Bragg), NC, USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2002

Strengths:    Price for the product! NRS Frame, Shimano Mid-end components, Michelin Widegripper Comp tires, Rock Shox Sid XC (rear),a free shock-pump.

Weaknesses:    Rock Shox Judy C Fork... good but could have been a step better. The Koski Contour saddle is great if your under 170lbs, otherwise... ouch on those long rides.

Bottom Line:
The NRS Frame is awesome! Hit the trails and watch the full-suspension take the pain for you! Climbs nice and XC downhill's super! The NRS gives you the cushion when ya hit stuff but also gives ZERO sag/bounce when pedaling like a mad-dog. Weighting 210 lbs. I've dropped in from 4' over and over, put it throught numerous miles of rough downhill XC, and crashed like a stuntman... thru it all NOT 1 prob! "An adventureous cross country bikers machine!" Built to take it and give performance!

Favorite Trail:   Chicken Road "Big Loop" and "Little Down"

Purchased At:   Ebay