Giant 2001 XTC NRS 2 Full Suspension Bike

4.53/5 (45 Reviews)

Submitted by slavin_dave a Downhiller from Homer, AK

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2010

Strengths:    Has a smooth ride, rock shox rear suspension has become a little soft as ive grown from a 100lb rider into a 200lb rider, absorbs heavy and light blows but wont hold tight while cruising flats so it robs a little power but not much. love the stance of the ride, slightly back to jam the downhill slams into the rear suspension and has a wide enough grip and sturdy feel to the front to have you covered for front wheel impacts. not the best for freestyle riding because of the rear suspension setup, it wont be hopping any guard rails but if youve got the balls itll take logs, curbs, small fences and other large obstacles with enough speed and has a nice soft landing every time

Weaknesses:    not good for riding in the rain, the front tire will always directly spray the chain rings with sand and dirt, where i live we have ash in the soil so it really eats through parts especially if its not cleaned after every ride and lubricated constantly. rear fork will only allow for a maximum tire size of 2.3" while the front fork can comfortably hold a monster 2.5" the rear fork connection bearing bolts will loosen slowly and eventually leave walking a floppy bike. larger riders will also beat up rear rims quite a bit because of the weight distribution is about 30/70 for average riding and can really wreck your gear. this bike really wasnt built for anybody over 6', im about 6'4" so i spend allot of cash replacing critical parts

Bottom Line:
The final word is its an awesome bike, ive been rallying it since i was 12 years old and about 100lbs, im now 19 and about 190lbs, and it is absolutely true you cannot outgrow this bikes capabilities, i used to think i was beating it up as a kid and i can comfortably say that i really beat it up now, every time i ride, every day and it never quits on me besides something stupid like a derailleur hanger or flat tire. awesome downhiller, hucks jumps with ease, hops hard if you can bottom out the suspension enough to pounce yourself into jumps, great climber with comfortable seating in uphill stance. but honestly if youre a big guy, dont buy this bike its just not right for larger people even though it will still work

Favorite Trail:   Reber trail, single track

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Sport

Similar Products Used:   giant, carbon fiber womens frame, stock components

Bike Setup:   specialized chunder 2.5" front tire, wtb 2.3" off trail rear tire, both with thorn proof tubes and kevlar tire liners. lightweight specialized 34 tooth cassette, top shelf specialized front derailleur, shimano slx rear derailleur, dual duty rims, fsa chain rings, upgraded super duty springs for marzocchi front shocks.

Submitted by Jeff from Ventura

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2003

Strengths:    Awesome climber. Great all around bike. Can't beat the value of this bike.

Weaknesses:    Judy fork sucks. Creeks a lot. Shattered the Race Face cranks.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike from an LBS after it had been stripped of the wheels, brakes, and seat for $600. So, I put on Rhino Lite wheels (cheap but solid) with Hutchinson Alligator tires (awesome climbers) and a Selle Italia Trans Am seat. I slipped on Avid Mechanicals and I quickly replaced the Judy fork with a Marzocchi EXR fork, since the Judy just couldn't handle my 200 pound body.

I'm an adventure racer, so I mainly use the bike for XC, but I ride it hard when descending (I think that I'm a downhiller at heart).

After about 6 months, the Race Face cranks (big and middle rings) shattered...we're talking three pieces each...while descending. I replaced them and it's been fine since.

The bike has a lot of creeks which seem to come and go, but they're nothing to get worked up about.

Finally, if you're considering purchasing one of these babies, realize that the rear suspension is not going to soak up the hits like a fully active rear suspension frame. You'll feel a lot more of the trail with this system. However, you'll climb faster and more efficiently than your bro on the Specialized Enduro (just ask my riding partner).

I'm dropping the money for a RockShox Pyslo SL U-Turn to once again upgrade the front shock and I'll eventually go tubeless, otherwise, I'm going to ride this beast into the ground. Outstanding XC bike...just not recommended for serious hucking. XC riders should look no further...this is the bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Giant Raineer and other hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for 2002 Avid Mechanical discs, Rhino Lite wheels with Hutchinson Alligator tires, and a Marzocchi EXR front shock

Submitted by Happy rider a Weekend Warrior from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2003

Strengths:    Style, frame was produced with Renault F1 team, tubeless tires, Avid mechanical disc brakes, ...

Weaknesses:    Paint used, seat, handle bar too long and not so good, ...

Bottom Line:
You can almost do anything with this bike, its a very good all conditions bike even if its a cross country bike only.
A good purchase!
I rated it 4 Flaming Chilis for the stock bike...
with my upgrades I would rate it 5 Falming Chilis!

Bike Setup:   (Stock)+2002 Rockshox Psylo SL, Shimano XT rear derailleur, Serfas ddvado seat, ...

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Lake Norman, NC.

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Strengths:    great frame/suspension design. climbs extremely well. tubeless tires and avid disc brakes are great. very durable bike. good performer overall. i have enjoyed this bike ever since i bought it and have no plans to buy another soon.

Weaknesses:    ok...had to replace the wimpy...i mean judy. the bike is noisy....which sounds petty but it is hard to distinguish between "troublesome" sounds and the sounds you can expect to hear due to suspension design and crank. that being said...the bike has held up extremely well.

Bottom Line:
i like the bike even more after having owned it for about a year...you definately get what you pay for when it comes to mtn. bikes. you can feel confident investing in a NRS2, they are a high quality, solid buy. the better i get as a rider, the more i appreciate the bikes performance. you won't outgrow the bikes capabilities as a more experienced rider. the bike is a keeper.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher aquilla/ DBR V8 <----- both are sweet bikes.

Bike Setup:   03' Duke SL U-turn (great more noise! shock is solid though) SRAM 9.0 drlr and shifters (great upgrade for this bike). thompson elite seatpost, new saddle, monkeylite riser bars, lighter spd's....

Submitted by Sophy Christian Bun a Weekend Warrior from Carrollton, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Strengths:    Don't know yet. I have just purchased the bike used and it will arrive to me in about 1 week. From what i have heard, the bike is going to be great, exspcially for a hardtail lover like me.

Weaknesses:    I will come back to this another day after i have ridden the bike.

Bottom Line:
I have to get back to you later about this. the rating i am giving is from what i have heard about the bike and from my test ride of the '02 model that i took recently.

Favorite Trail:   anything with jumps, drop-offs and build-ups for catching air

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Should be like a hardtail with the full suspension advantage.

Bike Setup:   Stock for now, but i will have xt rear derailler, and front to match. Easton E70 carbon straight bar. other upgrades will come once i find some money to do so.

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Beverly, MA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2003

Strengths:    Value: full suspension, disc brake, tubeless, light weight, and well known components. The bike looks great.

Weaknesses:    I had lots of problem with drive train parts - shifting: Defective Race Face Chain Ring, chain, and front shifter. After replacing all these parts with competent technician I had no problem.

Bottom Line:
I love disc brake, full suspension, NRS, tubeless, and light weight. I can't image sacroficing any one of the features. I rode another brand with similar features while I was away from the town and I dearly missed my NRS-2. The bike is fast and stable going downhill. I have no problem getting good grip on the road while I peddle uphill even while I was standing up and peddling. NRS really does work! I am not looking for any greatest and lastest bikes for now. I am fully satisified with what I have.

Favorite Trail:   Gordon Woods, Boxford WLS

Purchased At:   Landry's

Submitted by Eckhardt C a Weekend Warrior from Cape town - South Africa

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2003

Strengths:    pedals well, light with the best 4" rear travel you can get!

Weaknesses:    Frame dents easily - Could use a better front shock!

Bottom Line:
I do everything on this bike!
it handles DH, jumps and general freeriding with utterly satisfaction!
Would reccomend front suspension upgrade like a Z1-freeride or dnm-usd120 (Judy's haven't got enough travel & strength)

Favorite Trail:   Du Toitskloof

Purchased At:   Willie Engelbrecht Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Gaint Warp $ Rinkon

Bike Setup:   dmr, truvative cracks and chain devise, azonic , wtb, continental, race-face, mavic, rockshox

Submitted by david shultz a Weekend Warrior from salem

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2002

Strengths:    crank, runing gear, handle bars and avid disk brakes.

Weaknesses:    derailleur hanger and the frame dents easly

Bottom Line:
I got this bike oct/11/01 it was my fist mountin bike. I swaped the stem and clipless peddles for a Thomson stem and Mosh peddles befor I left the shop. Then I got two KUJOdh tiers, a krve seat,and 02 Marzocchi Dirt jumper with the QR20. I broke my derilleur hager 4 times twice doing weelie drops, once on a landing ramp of a dirt jumping, and one I was dirt jumping and on our way back to the car I road off a curbe and broke the hanger. The last time i broke my derailleur along with the hanger and I hade to buy a Shimano XTR derailleur. The only thig I Could thik of to stop from breking my derailleur was to buy a Bullet Bros. This bike is god for jumping and gret for ripin up some single track. I ride my Bike hard, jump high, and try to do the bigist drop my bike and I can. 8 ft so far. Shes got a cople dent in her but shel take any thin u can thro at her!

Favorite Trail:   any thing I can jump, drop,or ride down in OREGON !

Purchased At:   the bike peddler

Submitted by CP Coleman a Cross Country Rider from Cape Cod, MA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2002

Strengths:    Price, components, NRS, Avids, Pythons,Cranks

Weaknesses:    Rear freewheel, Judy XC, frame flex with big or strong riders, dents easy and paint job loses luster quick

Bottom Line:
The bike is still running great after 18 months of beating the crap out of it all over New England. The Avid mechanicals can not be beat for ease of adjustment, no tools and dial them in anyway you like. The Psylo makes this a great jumping bike. The (what seems) extra air volume in the tires make for soft landings. I just switch of between the Pythons and Mosquito tires and have all my bases covered. Only takes a second to change the tires too. Only real pain is I (195 lbs)can make this bike creak like crazy, stiffer cranks and handlebar might help bigger riders. This bike is fast through rock gardens and flys up hill, no need for a rear lockout on this rig. The Psylo up front makes this bike twice as much fun as it was when I first bought it. Giant rocks.

Favorite Trail:   Any NEMBA Fun Ride

Purchased At:   Andy's in Keene, NH

Similar Products Used:   Sugers, Fuels, Trek Y bikes,

Bike Setup:   New 2002 Psylo SL, Cross Roc Wheels, XT rear der., loc grips, ATAC pedals, q.r. seat post collar,Pythons or Mosquitos depending on conditions, smaller seat,

Submitted by Drew Chesnut a Cross Country Rider from Antioch,CA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2002

Strengths:    Frame rides like a hardtail.Cool paint job.Perfect fit for me.

Weaknesses:    Grips,saddle,Tubeless setup,Too squishy judy XC.

Bottom Line:
The mavic tubeless wheels w/24 15ga.spokes were way too flexy for my 220 lbs,supprise,they didn't spec them for 2002 or 2003.Another supprise,they lasted a year.I am now running 36 spoke mavic 317's with XT disc hubs.I never had a problem with pinch flats but the goats head thorns always do me in.The Hutchinson pythons seemed to attract them even more,plus theis sketchy grip on anything besides hardpack or pavement.Switched to Michelin comp s tubeless after a month and they lasted a little longer.Most of the time i just ran tubes in them.The LX/deore drivetrain wasn't too bad but i switched back to my reliable 8 speed XT gear after 2 weeks.I switched to heavier springs and 15 wt. oil in the judy but couldn't run the 100 mm option,just too flexy,especially the wheels.The saddle never made it out of the shop,switched it for a topo team with ti rails.Otherwise ,the bike fit like it was made just for me,no probs with my rear sid shock or the Avid mechanical discs.The NRS system works as promised.With everything set up to my liking the bike has been very reliable and unless a major sale on Epics or Blurs happens,i'll be happy with this bike for years.Buy this bike,any level,1,2,3,or air,or any year,2000 thru 2003 and you will get a great machine.

Favorite Trail:   Anything on Mt. Diablo

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR,Cannondale super V.

Bike Setup:   Medium.

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Lake Norman, NC

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Strengths:    This is a great all around bike and Giant has earned a reputation for loading their bikes up with some pretty nice components. The bike is a dream for riders that don't know a lot of technical stuff (like me) because it is so easy to set up and maintain. All you need to do when you want to adjust your brakes is turn a couple of dials...it really can't be any easier. The rest of the bike? Just add air and go! The bike looks GOOD.

Weaknesses:    I think the front shock is a good one. I did have to order some firm springs though (I weigh 180lbs) because it was way to plush. I don't really know who it would be firm enough for. I've heard it is for riders who weigh around 145lbs....but damn! I thought jockeys rode horses not mountain bikes!

Bottom Line:
If you want a full suspension to ride the kind of trails (singletrack, etc.) that most of us ride you will not be disappointed with this bike. I bought this bike so I could start racing in the local weekly race series and it is a great value-especially now.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   sugar2 and enduro

Bike Setup:   stock except I put some monkeylite ct2 handlebars on and some nicer spd pedals that I had.

Submitted by A joyful rider (2 review) from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2002

Strengths:    Same as last time

Weaknesses:    Same as last time + the rear tire makes a strange noise when you're riding by sitting down???

Bottom Line:
Changed the springs in the Psylo's for stronger ones and ohhhhhhh man this bike rules with some kinda DH pedals and the Psylo's. The only thing that im gonna probaly change next season is the tyres they really suck in muddy conditions but on dry conditions they are the best. Surely gonna take a more equilibrated tire that is mor versatile in all conditions.......
The bike was already good, now its better and im gonna make it better next year!!!
5 Flaming monkey for both.....WITH THE UPGRADES.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the pedals (DH kinda), and just bought a 2002 RockShox Psylo SL to upgrade my 2001 Judy XC.

Submitted by Montague a Cross Country Rider from Wasilla, Alaska

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2002

Strengths:    It is a great all around bike light, Good components, and great suspention design. Avid disc brakes, Python tires on Mavic rims. Sweet ride

Weaknesses:    Race Face crank needs bathed in lock-tite. The seat is just not up to long xc rides. Front judy xc is to soft im a 135lb rider and when I get agressive on the down hills it just does not work. Also I found the rear hanger and lx derailer just to mushy.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line. If you want a XC bike this is it. I ride everyday rain or shine. It took me 3 weeks before I tuned the suspention in though. After upgrading some things( every bike you buy you will have to!!!) I found it to be the best in its class. If you are new or old to the sport or a weekend warrior looking for a bike that will fill the void, this is it. Be sure to set positive chamber to 10+ body weight and tune from there. I run about 15-20+ for the best ride.

Purchased At:   Paramont