Giant 2001 XTC AC Air Full Suspension Bike

4.84/5 (19 Reviews)

Submitted by Mike Fredericks a Weekend Warrior from Detroit Metro area

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2002

Strengths:    Great ride, almost perfect geometry (for me), adjustable travel front and rear.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Stinkin' great bike. I'm 6' 215 with not much fat, and really hard on bikes. I was looking for a "new" full susp when a buddy sold me his AC Air (he wasgetting a Bullit).
I put on a new crank set (the Race Face Prodigy DH) and left the rest alone (why mess with a good thing). Still unsure about the Psylo, like it for the travel. Changed to the Hayes/Laserdisc set-up (old habits die hard).
Freakin' great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake Rec

Purchased At:   from friend

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Sugar, Fisher Joshua F3, GT I-Drive, KHS Montana Pro

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock 'cept for Race Face Prodigy DH crank w/bashguard, Shimano 646's, Hayes Elite hubs w/Laserdisc wheels

Submitted by Ali a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2002

Strengths:    Price for the equipment you get, top of the line components. All condition as in the name, great climber, and bomber down the hill.

Weaknesses:    Rear air SID a little noisy at the drop offs. Psylo climb-it control blows at the very first week.

Bottom Line:
Worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Single Track

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Johnny Spockets

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose and Kona

Bike Setup:   Stock plus, tooth fairy, crash pads, downhill saddle, cross brace and a front fender.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Salem, OR

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Strengths:    Climbs great considering, suspension works great, stops on a dime, even when its pouring rain (which in all winter here in Oregon). No skimping on components

Weaknesses:    Lets face it, its not a 23lb hardtail. If you want to climb like a 23lb hardtail, buy a 23lb hardtail. Stock stem felt a little cramped for me - I had it switched. 2001 is hard to come by now. The shops have run out, and nobody that rides one is going to want to sell it.

Bottom Line:
This being my second FS, I shopped long and hard to make sure I was getting everthing I wanted. $2000 is a lot of money. Every other bike I looked at had some real issues; front fork, rear fork, no disks, too heavy. This is the first bike that had it all in the right places.
It being Winter in the rainy NW, I have tried this ride out in the worst of conditions. The bike climbs great (granted I am a fairly solid climber). With 2.4 stock tires, I don't slip and loose valuable torque on the up hills. Lock out the front, close the rear dampening and all that pedal-bob business is hot air.
The bikes suspension is a dream (though it will take a few trips to dial in to your liking). The combination of hayes disks and 2.4 tires makes one fingered stopping a reality instead of a break manufactures advertisment. I swear I stop at least as well now in the pouring rain than I did with my last bike (v-brakes) in summertime. I did more on my second ride with this bike than I ever would have with my Specialized.
If you get a chance to pick up one of these bikes, and you aren't an XC racer - you will not go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Dallas, OR

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bike n Hike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized enduro, Fisher Suger 3+

Bike Setup:   Stock except for getting bike shop to switch for a little longer stem.

Submitted by joel a Weekend Warrior from salt lake city

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Strengths:    bullet proof frame. good component mix.

Weaknesses:    none that i have found yet.

Bottom Line:
I enjoy riding again. This bike makes me look for every possible chance to get out. stairs and big drops catch my attention now. I haven't yet found the limit to this bike. I absolutely love how user friendly it is. so easy to adjust and set up. all the right components for an unbeatable price. This is the best bike for the money. No other companies can offer so much for so little, look around!

Favorite Trail:   anything in moab

Purchased At:   contender bicycles

Similar Products Used:   anything i can get my hands on.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Torrance, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2001

Strengths:    Climbs good and doesn't feel like it weighs 31 lbs.
Component quality is good. Ususally the bike company compromises somewhere but everything on this bike is good.
Suspension is plush and well balanced.

Weaknesses:    Front brakes squeak at low speed (really annoying during climbing).
Rear shock a little tricky to get dialed in.
Some fork flex during hard cornering but it doesn't make the bike unstable.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price, it is a lot better than I am.

Favorite Trail:   anything dirt

Purchased At:   Two Wheels One Planet

Similar Products Used:   First venture into FS bikes. So far I am pleased

Submitted by Aaron Moore a Weekend Warrior from Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2001

Strengths:    Awsome componets. Never knew how well air shocks performed. Swallows all the bumps and I'm never phased when I take a drop.

Weaknesses:    I don't think it has any.

Bottom Line:
It's a good bike for a rider of all conditions. The best componets for the best price. Never had or have ridden a bike that performed to well.

Favorite Trail:   any trail

Price Paid:    $2050.00

Purchased At:   Paramount Cycles

Similar Products Used:   1999 Garyfisher Joshua F4.

Bike Setup:   Stock with a Tooth Fairy.

Submitted by KDH from Tacoma, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent do anything bike. Great components, weight,geometry, and price.

Weaknesses:    Would have liked the through axle on the Psylo. Haven't made
my mind up on the seat yet.

Bottom Line:
Funnest bike I've ever owned or ridden. This bike does
everything well, from long XC climbs to North Shore riding.
If you want a bike to enjoy everything mountain biking has
to offer, then this is the ride for you. I've tried many
similar styles of bikes, but none of them come close to
the AC Air. Don't let the company name fool you. This is
the bike to have.

Similar Products Used:   GT, Kona, Cove, Rocky Mtn, Cannondale, Devinci, Norco

Submitted by Kyle Sukhya a Weekend Warrior from Elkridge,MD 21075

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2001

Strengths:    The bike is really strong, I got it for cheap too. The fork is just amazing. The bike is pretty light for the type it is. Made my friends jealous.

Weaknesses:    I had problems with my rear brake. It felt weak so i took it to the shop to bleed it.

Bottom Line:
This bike is so cool. It does everything, from drops, dirt jumps, to trails. The travel adjustment is just amazing.If you coulld get the bike for the price i got it go for it

Favorite Trail:   Avalon, dual slalom courses,urban

Purchased At:   Catonsville bike shop

Similar Products Used:   stinky, i-drive

Bike Setup:   stock , mrp long range chainguide, the fender

Submitted by ruben a Weekend Warrior from long beach

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2001

Strengths:    weight(29.5lbs),parts,frame,shocks(front & rear),disc brakes

Weaknesses:    seat, raceface post & stem

Bottom Line:
the best ride i've ever had. i'm a 50% better rider now. this bike has a great flow to it. just lean back and it will get you there.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   fsr,i-drive,many hard tails

Bike Setup:   upgraded the seat.the stem & post to thompsom,monkey lite riser and panaracer xc pro tirse

Submitted by Cajun a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, OH

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2001

Strengths:    The bike is built for bigger types of hits, drop-offs, and downhills. This is the type of stuff I prefer to ride. The components are top of the line.

Weaknesses:    I wanted the AC Air because it was going to be lighter than the AC 1 or 2. I come to find out the bike is still pretty heavy at 31 lbs., but this is 4-6 lbs lighter than any other bike I have had. I am still not sure if I have the rear Sid air shock figured out yet. I have thebike set-up at 6" of travel, with a pretty soft rear shock. I get bob on climbs, but I like the plush feel. This isn't a Giant issue, more of a Rock Shox isuue.

Bottom Line:
I really like the bike. I've heard some people say the front Rock Shox Psylo flexes too much, but for 5 inches of travel and my light 150 lbs, it's perfect!! The comonents are great, I haven't had any problems with the bike yet. Just need to decide how I want the rear air shock dialed in.
Giant makes great bikes, and they are the cheapest because they are largest producer in the world. I wouldn't overlook Giant when getting a bike - they are superb bike for a great price.

Favorite Trail:   Vultures Knob

Purchased At:   Bike Source

Similar Products Used:   Giant Warp DS1.

Bike Setup:   Hayes Disc, XTR rear, XT front, XT Cranks, rest of the stock stuff for this bike from Giant, except I changed to a 1-piece bar set with climbing bars by Scott.

Submitted by Shaun Murray a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, WA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2001

Strengths:    This bike is amazing! Very plush, good drivetrain right out of the box, great Psylo Race fork and SID rear. Everything is right about the bike.

Weaknesses:    Can't really find anything yet, and I am not sure I will.

Bottom Line:
Super bike, wish I would have bought it years ago. Have a Giant XTC SE1 for the straight XC rides, but probably going to sell it do to the fun factor in the AC AIR. Put the fun back in biking.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Spokane

Bike Setup:   CT2 bars and post, Thompson stem, XTR shifters-R Der, XT (HT) cranks, XT front Der, Grimeca 4 piston brakes, SRAM 9.0 hubs with 227 rims.

Submitted by Chris Flentye a Weekend Warrior from Redding, CA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2001

Strengths:    Climbs good, holds up my 275 pounds without breaking, plush. Performs well in most dirt riding conditions, from flat stuff to technical climbs.

Weaknesses:    The bottom bracket a little low when trying to clear high obstacle technical areas

Bottom Line:
After breaking two DS2 frame in half I needed another frame that could take a licking. So far, so good. The bike climbs good on technical stuff and tight switchbacks. Going down is a blast, more faster than I got guts. The Hayes hydros could launch me 20 feet. I ride in a wide variety trail types and conditions and I'm very happy with the XTC AC AIR.

Favorite Trail:   The Chimney

Purchased At:   Chain Gang

Similar Products Used:   Warp DS2

Bike Setup:   Z1 bomber, Specialized Body Geometry sadle, headset & bar from DS2, eight speed cog for stronger chain.

Submitted by d l a Downhiller from l

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Strengths:    awsome suspension (espesialy with max. travel).it soaks up every thing imaginable and more. go huck the local 5 footer and you will feel like you land on pillows. the adjustible travel is great for different terrain.low gearing makes the bike feel lighter than its 32 lbs.the brakes are total boat anchors. and it is extreemly comfortable.

Weaknesses:    rock hard saddle. break squeal. chain slap. a tad flexxy

Bottom Line:
mega value, great shocks and fork, fairly light for a free rider, awsome brakes and components. great handling and ride. what more do you need?

Favorite Trail:   l

Purchased At:   westsidecycling

Similar Products Used:   shwinn strait six and four banger. rocky mountain slayer

Bike Setup:   stock exept for saddle and post

Submitted by Travis a Weekend Warrior from Western Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Strengths:    Strength, Durability, Responsiveness, and the ability to bring your riding to a whole new level. The components are beefy and well chosen for the bike. The paint job is cool and has brought some compliments. Looks tough and is tough as nails.

Weaknesses:    It is heavy for cross country, but not if your freeriding. The Seat is like sitting on a rock.

Bottom Line:
I would be extremely suprised if you can get more for your money. This bike rocks. It screams downhill, eats bumps for breakfast, and launches with ease. I found myself laughing on several of my first rides. It's been sick. I can fly downhill, roll over just about anything, and launch with confidence that the landing is going to be smooth. The thing that has really suprised me is the climbing ability of this bike. It is heavier than my hardtail, but I find I climb faster, even though it takes a little more effort. I also don't feel nearly as beaten down as in the past after a hard ride. If your not overly concerned about weight, and want to ride hard without fear of obstacles or drops, get this amazing freeride gig. It won't let you down.

Purchased At:   Board & Buckle

Similar Products Used:   GT I drive, Loco-Moto, Quasi-Moto, Santa Cruz Superlight, Racer X, Cannondales

Submitted by Jeff James a Cross Country Rider from Gardnerville, Nevada, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Strengths:    Sucks up the big hits, but still light enough to climb with. Adjustable travel (front and rear). Stops on a dime. Great component value.

Weaknesses:    Frame flexes when set-up with short travel/stiff rear shock.

Bottom Line:
I've ripped some core singletrack on this bike and it rolls right over anything. Takes the big-hits too. Adjustable travel is cherry, although there's really no reason for the 4.5" set-up. Hayes discs are one-finger on any downhill. Bomber tires (2.4")are a bit much on climbs, but a big bonus on the downhills. Psylo Race fork has saved my butt more than once. Who should buy this bike? You're a freerider who still has to pedal to the top of the downhill.

Favorite Trail:   Mr. Toad's Wild Ride