Giant 2001 XTC AC 2 Full Suspension Bike

4.66/5 (44 Reviews)

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Rotorua, NZ

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2004

Strengths:    Takes the hits really well. Beefy gussets, and hayes have been working sweet. Forks have performed really well.

Weaknesses:    Creak in the headset gets a bit agitating.

Bottom Line:
This bike has worked really well for me. I purchased it new only about 6-7 months ago (old stock in the shop). There are a few noises coming out of the headset but I can't fault it otherwise. The psylos have worked well, I have heard from other AC riders that the newer psylos tend to blow out (02-03 models) but mine are fine so far.
It is definitely the best for xc, but with some faster rolling rubber (maxxis larsen/dynomite) it does the job.

The perfect bike for those who love the downhills, but want to bike up (slowly) rather than walk.

Favorite Trail:   Redwoods

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper, Trek Fuel 80, Hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Stock except platforms, bash ring.

Submitted by scott a Weekend Warrior from washington

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Strengths:    this frame is strong so far. component setup is pretty good. this bike can take a lot of abuse. rockshock customer service has been great. i broke both shocks and they sent new ones w/o question.

Weaknesses:    both shocks are low quality if you ride really aggressive. i broke the fork in 3 weeks of purchase and 2 weeks ago broke rear. both need to be upgraded eventually.

Bottom Line:
this bike is great. after i put on the vanilla rc, rear end feels much stronger. great freeride,dh rig for the price. runs great out of the box. can't wait until the '03 jr t comes out to finish shock upgrades. i have done 8 foot drops with the phylo and it has been holding up pretty good so far but to go much higher a dual crown will be much better of course. frame is strong and will hold up to abuse and seems to be durable. not a five flamin' cause of shock problem.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   kona stinky dee lux, cove g-spot (demo only)

Bike Setup:   ac 2, phylo front( soon to be 2003 jr t), fox vanilla rc rear (just got today). raceface cranks, xt fr and rear derails., everything else pretty much stock.

Submitted by Brian Bivens from Littleton

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Strengths:    frame, parts, confidence compartment, and about every other aspect of this bike. I honestly will probably never buy another brand of bicycle as long as i ride, unless they go "mongoose". one word. tough.

Weaknesses:    after this much use, i would say that a few parts picks could be called a weakness, but honestly the only thing I would change is the lx cranks.

Bottom Line:
if you get a deal on this bike, wait scratch that. if you enjoy jumping and trying to hurt your self or your bike, and constantly found yourself hurting your hardtails parts or your lightweight full suspension, go out and get this. this bike is bad. not just bad, but truly bad ass. i have never ridden such a fantastic execution of idealogy as this. Rolling art work. there are also travel upgrade kits available through gold-techcycles.uk, that upgrade the bike to a 5,6,7.5 inch travel bike. I am getting them, and once i do, you will be able to read about them here. 5 flaming turds.

Favorite Trail:   dakota ridge

Purchased At:   Bike source

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX downhill, kona stinky, K2 disco monkey, specialized enduro.

Bike Setup:   stock, sun ringle zulu pedals.

Submitted by Damian Hendren a Downhiller from Tauranga, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2002

Strengths:    Good strong bike, able to land big drops without bottoming out. Adjustable rear suspension good for XC & DH riding.

Weaknesses:    Creaking in front headseat and had rear shock lock up on first ride. Vibration coming through frame from rear disc. All repaired under warranty
Not the best XC bike out there but good compromise as really good freeride bike.

Bottom Line:
Best bike I have owned for DH and jumps so far. Slow XC bike but still able to keep up most others and lack of speed mainly due to 2.5 tyres and choosing the Small frame size.
Very strong with relatively few breakages.
Front shocks (2002 Psylo's) are excellent, better than Z1 Marzocchi's on my 2nd bike.
Rear suspension has good action and no harsh bottoming.
Hayes 8" discs awesome stopping power.

Favorite Trail:   42nd Traverse

Purchased At:   Underground Cycles

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS 2000, Schwinn S10, Marin Pine Mountain, Marin Indian Fire Trail etc.

Bike Setup:   As standard except Keywin DH pedals, Tioga DH seat, Maxxis 2.5 High Roller DH tyres, Psylo 2002 XC fork upgrade, XT rear mech upgrade, 8" disc's front & rear.

Submitted by Michael Bennett from Tempe

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2002

Strengths:    This is an update to a previous review. Bike has been working awesome. I have run it with many different setups. Most recently is with a Junior T. All I can say is WOW! If you have this bike...I highly recommend putting a dual crown on it. Brings it to the next level.

Weaknesses:    Mine came with a 500lb shock and it is way too soft. Upgraded to a mountain speed 750lb.

Bottom Line:
This is an update from a previous review. Bottom line is the bike is so much fun and can be built with many applications in mind. Put a Junior T on it and launch off anything you can find...makes the head angle perfect.

It would be really cool if Giant came out with an after market rear end like specialized did. Give us an option of like 8" of travel with a Ellsworth Dare type rear end. That would be sweet but I cant see Bigtime Giant putting in the time or effort to accomadate us like that...but who knows.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   bicycle wheelers

Similar Products Used:   Stinkies...Psycle werks...bla bla

Bike Setup:   AC2, Junior T, Mavics, Mrp, race face

Submitted by tyler from powell river

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Weaknesses:    the deralliur hanger has broken 6 times already, the back shock broke and i sent it away about 2 months ago and havent gotten it back yet

Bottom Line:
this bike would work well if it didnt brake every 2 weeks i have done 7ft drops and it lands well but a week or so later something will brake again. i do not recomend this bike to anyone because it gets expensive braking all the stuff.

Favorite Trail:   pre roller

Purchased At:   suncoast cycles

Bike Setup:   mosh flats ring guard

Submitted by BRIAN BIVENS from littleton co 80123

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2002

Strengths:    SICK DROPS? NO PROBLEM. THE FIRST DAY I GOT THE BIKE I TOOK IT BEHIND THE GROCERY STORE AND JUMPED IT OFF OF THE CONCRETE SEMI LOADING DOC (ABOUT 5.5-6 FOOT DROP) AND WRECKED. BUT THE BIKE WAS FINE. NEXT DAY TOOK IT OFF THE SAME DROP TWICE, LANDED IT BOTH TIMES. THIS THING IS BOMB PROOF.

Weaknesses:    THE ROCK SHOX PRODUCTS I QUESTIONED, BUT INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY, THEY HAVEN'T FAILED ME YET. LX REAR DERAILER, BUT AN XT FRONT?

Bottom Line:
THIS BIKE IS SICK, I COULDN'T IMAGINE TAKING THE DROPS I TAKE NOW ON THIS BIKE TWO MONTHS AGO. IF YOU READ THE MOUNTAIN BIKE MAGAZINE REVIEW OF THE AC 1, DONT BELIEVE THEM, FLEX MY ASS. THIS IS A CONFIDENCE INSPIRING DROP MONSTER WITH A MISSION OF GIVING YOU BIGGER BALLS FOR BIGGER HITS. I LOVE THIS THING

Favorite Trail:   dakota ridge/red rocks

Purchased At:   BIKESOURCE

Similar Products Used:   GIANT AC 1 (SAME BIKE DIFFERENT COLOR AND FORK)
KONA STINKY (CRAPPY PART SELECTION)

Bike Setup:   STOCK EXCEPT FOR MY PLATFORM PEDALS. SUN RINGLE PLATS

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from Corvallis, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent manners on the small-to-medium-sized stuff. Light(34lbs) for a bike with 6" rear/5" front travel. Jumps well. Pedals good even with the travel in the 6" position. Also pedals good while rear suspension is in motion. Adjustable compression(24 clicks)/ rebound(38 clicks) on the rear shock was a good idea anyway, even if you can't make use of the whole range. Sealed bearing rear suspension pivots are holding up well. 6-inch Hayes hydros are flawless, the only thing better would be 8-inch hayes hydros(as spec'd on the 2002 AC-1/AC-2).

Weaknesses:    I'm still questioning the rock shox products, both front and rear- when it comes to anything larger than about 3-4'(weak) drops to flat ground(if anyone at RockShox or Giant reads this, please e-mail me with suggestions)..

First, the rear shock. After reading other rider's tales of blown RS Pro Deluxe's, I was weary of running the rearshock at a high compression/rebound setting. The shock also growls at you if you actually have the compression/rebound set stiff enough. The end result: I bottomed the rear end so hard that I put a flat spot in my Rhino Lite rim THE SECOND DAY I OWNED THE BIKE. The no-name hub was also bent in the process. As a credit to rock shox, my shock has not blown yet but I really wish I could use the entire range of compression settings.

Now on to the Psylo XC fork. There's actually a combination of issues:
- external adjustability(or lack thereof), and
- initial setup was not right, probably due to poor manufacturing practices.
When I first got the bike some other guys pointed out that the fork was extremely stiff and was topping out badly, so I put a ziptie on the left stanchion to measure the sag. Even with the pre-load adjuster backed all the way out, I could not get the the proper amount of sag out of the fork. The funny thing is, when taking hits as small as 3 stairs, the ziptie reveals the harsh truth: a bottomed out "freeride" fork! Come on, RS!
Why put an external rebound adjuster on the fork with only 90 degrees (1/4 turn) of adjustment?? Even the stiffest rebound setting does not stop the shock from topping/bottoming out unreasonably.
There was also noticeable play in the front fork, but I've heard RS is replacing the bushings on 2001 psylos with the 2002-style bushing, which is 3 times thicker.

Also the chain slaps the frame a lot.

Bottom Line:
A sweet bike, the 2002 AC-2 should be even better. If you are shyed away from the 2002 AC-1 because of the obese Marzocchi Shiver XC fork, take a good look at the AC2 because it is almost exactly the same thing. I know I wrote a novel in the "weaknesses" part, but the truth is that any beefy full-suspension bike under $2000 new is going to be compromised in some areas. When you compare the AC-2 to anything else in its $ range, I think it will emerge as the clear-cut winner. Despite the fork issues, I will still ride my AC-2 around the OSU campus pretending chicks dig it every day!

Purchased At:   Bike-n-hike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro, Big Hit, Gary Fisher Sugar 2+, Fisher Joshua

Bike Setup:   All stock except XT shifters, XTR rear derailleur, and platform pedals. Next up: cranks, tires, rims, hubs, headset!

Submitted by Lionell Jansen a Downhiller from Wilrijk, Belgium

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2002

Strengths:    Great bike for extreme freeride with the upgrades I did and for downhill

Weaknesses:    none found so far

Bottom Line:
This is my first full suspension bike ever, it rides just great. Since the moment I have it, I spent quite a few $$$ on it upgrading it to the way I wanted it to be. In future Nokian tires will be put on, MRP or FSA chainguide and SDG Big Boy saddle.

I haven't had loads of time yet to ride it, but I will do so this year and give you a later review!

Favorite Trail:   haven't got any yet

Purchased At:   drivesports.net

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for Shimano M646 pedals, Woodman Rockster S stem, Manitou X-Vert DH, Odi grips, RF Taperlock BB, RF Prodigy cranks,...

Submitted by Steve A a Downhiller from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Strengths:    just updating my review from last time

Weaknesses:    just about perfect.i fixed that braking problem

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure if i should turn it into an intermediate level dh rig, or make it into an extreme freeride...that will be to decide later, right now, i like it how it is...right in between

Favorite Trail:   pick

Purchased At:   Cycles St.Laurent

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for Black Spire big ring protector, boXXer (painted black), 8 in hayes up front, 24" doublewide with xt hub and arrow 2.7 tire

Submitted by Michael Bennett from Tempe, Az

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2001

Strengths:    This bike decends like it gets paid for it. Point it and its there. Can't really say enough about the bike. Buy one

Weaknesses:    Well...on my first ride I blew the rear shock out but kept on riding it! I guess the bunners at Rock Shox forgot to put it together completely. I was a little bummed but no problem. It was also hard to keep the front end on the ground for steep climbs so I am gonna change to 110mm stem...that should do the trick. I also bought the medium size and I am 6'3 so I think it will give me a better riding position. The seat sucks and the tires are so so but fatty.

Bottom Line:
Great bike...Great price...Good bike to beat on for awhile and then upgrade when you break something. Very trailworthy right out of the box. I think that this bike would be good for anyone who wants to put their feet in the freeride waters and test it out. Not quite a downhiller but an awesome freerider. If you don't have alot of knarly terrain around you...it may be alittle to much bike but you can trailride it at the 4.5 setting.

Favorite Trail:   national

Purchased At:   Bicycle Wheelers (Tempe)

Similar Products Used:   Psycle Werks, Stinky Dee Lux

Bike Setup:   Basically stock...I want to put a bash guard in replace of the big ring...new stem...new rear derailer...maybe a shiver sc in the future.

Submitted by Stephen Amend a Downhiller from Montreal Quebec Canada

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Strengths:    Amazing, travel is very plush, handles great. love the sure wide handlebar.

Weaknesses:    Not related to the bike itself, but the brakes piss me off sometimes....make noises and rub, but I guess it's all a matter of adjustment. I used to hate the seat, but I made myself get used to it, and now it's fine, the setpost was a bit too long, but hey, I paid 2600 (CDN$) tax included, so i can live with the few pet peeves. The bike's strenghts far outweigh it's weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
Love it! Well designed, well made, well priced (cause Giant actually manufactures their frames). I want to put on a Super T. Any word on what i should do about that? I don't care about that warrenty gerbage, I'll just put on a sigle crown if anything happens. But I just want to make sure the headtube to can take it.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Cycles St-Laurent

Similar Products Used:   Norco VPS 1 w/ Shiver, Santa Cruz S8 w/ Monster, Karpiel Armageddon, Aeon Joker w/Stratos S8

Bike Setup:   Stock, other than Axiom pedals, Front Derailleur, Shifters and crank. Also a Black Spire Big Ring Protector......I am considering putting on a Super T next spring.

Submitted by evan johnson a Downhiller from calgary

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2001

Strengths:    hayes r sweat,the psylos,frame takes a huge beating

Weaknesses:    rear derailleur is sh!t,this is my 3 and now i am sending it back to giant 4 the fourth.the cranks? they should not have put lx.

Bottom Line:
sweat ass bike,great for free ride and dh if u r not more than 150lbs.

Favorite Trail:   all down hill

Purchased At:   (price is cdn.) mountain edge ( in cochrane)