Giant 2001 XTC AC 1 Full Suspension Bike

4.55/5 (55 Reviews)

Submitted by DHan

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    excellent frame

Weaknesses:    No comment

Bottom Line:
excellent frame

Submitted by bernieships a Weekend Warrior from Auburn

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2011

Strengths:    solid frame, high bottom bracket, perfect weight for all-mountain/light freeride

Weaknesses:    Rear wheel gets a little bit squirrelly on downhill.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great do it all bike. You can ride it up without too much suffering and it flies back down. It takes drops without a problem. Sometimes the back end gets a little bit squirrely but I think I need to adjust the shock. I'd recommend this frame to anyone looking to build a fun all-mountain bike.

Favorite Trail:   Duthie

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi All Mountain, xt derailleurs, lx shifters, avid juicy brakes, fox dhx 5.0, race face cranks

Submitted by Bird26 a Downhiller from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Strengths:    - Tough as nail frame.
- Easy rear travel adjust to convert between XC and Semi-DH.
- Relatively light considering how much abuse it can take.
- With wide enough tire, this bike runs over almost everything.

Weaknesses:    It's a bit hard to ride it uphill but then again I never expect it to with a double crown fork I installed.

Bottom Line:
I came across this frame by accident 2 years ago, figured I'd give it a shot after reading a few reviews. 2 years later, this bike lives up to its expectations.

I was planning to buy a new frame when this one breaks but doesn't no matter what I throw at it, it stays strong. After breaking almost every part on the bike (brake, fork, rear shock, rims and even pedals), I gave up waiting. It'll probably outlast my life lol.

Favorite Trail:   Anything offroad

Similar Products Used:   GT Force 1.0 2010, Giant NRS Air 2005, Giant Faith 1 2006, Giant MCM D 2007, Giant XTC HB3 2009.

Bike Setup:   RST Sigma XT fork, Manitou SPV 6-Way rear shock, 2.7 Downhill Mobster front & 2.6 Holly Roller rear.

Submitted by fang_x a Cross Country Rider from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2008

Strengths:    Very Great bike, stock suspension isent the best but it works better then the walmart brand bikes^_^. I love the brakes on this bike and the overall size and the way it seems to flow over obstacles.

Weaknesses:    shocks suck

Bottom Line:
My favorite bike so far, im planning to upgrade the suspension, then it can take everything i throw at it.

Favorite Trail:   Local

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   other giant bikes

Bike Setup:   stock, hayes hydralic disk brakes

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from orange county, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Strengths:    fork and brakes

Bottom Line:
giant is great. this bike is realativily light so i can get through the climbs. at the same time this bike tears up the downhills. moreover, this bike is strong, and doesnt need much maintenance. i recommend this bike to everyone.

Favorite Trail:   laguna beach

Bike Setup:   bomber fork, fox float rear, hayes hydro disc brakes, raceface crankset, deore lx derailers

Submitted by George a Weekend Warrior from Maryland

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2006

Strengths:    truly fulfills the moniker of "all conditions": you can adjust the travel to hit the XC trails and then with a hex wrench and 2 minutes convert it to a decent downhill rig.

Weaknesses:    the original rock shox deluxe rear shock sucked, apparently, so much so that the original owner replaced it w/ a fox vanilla RC w/ propedal. i love the fox and its adjustability is tremendous. also the koski engineering seat was terrible. true, it is heavy at 36#, but just get yourself in better shape!

Bottom Line:
if you're looking to buy a bike that can do everything XC, FR, and DH, you're not going to find it. if, however, you're like most of us and don't want to spend $5000 on 3 bikes to do each of these kinds of riding, get an AC. you'll do very well at each of these riding types, the bike can stand up to a ton of abuse, and you can get a good used one for less than a grand. truly an incredible bike.

Purchased At:   mtbr.com classified

Similar Products Used:   this is my first FS bike, having upgraded from a fuji HT that i had built up.

Bike Setup:   stock except rhyno lites, fizik nisene seat, WTB weirwolves 2.5 front, 2.3 rear, and the fox as above.

Submitted by Nando Redrum a Weekend Warrior from Bronx, NY

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Strengths:    Strong Frame, Excellent handling

Weaknesses:    RockShox pro deluxe. This is not a shock for heavy dudes like me. I weigh 225. The seat is pretty uncomfortable too.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike from a friend who put it through some serious hardcore drop abuse. Now I’m riding it and though I don’t take it off 10 to 15’ drops, I’m content with 4’ to 6’. The bike handles well and has taught me a lot about control. Some of my friends say eventually I’ll want to get a better bike and even though that’s probably true, I still think this bike rocks. I’m nowhere near the rank of a DH veteran but riding this bike makes me feel like I could reach that point one day. Besides the component problems I’ve faced (replacement of a broken derailleur hanger, a sh_tty rear hub, a non-drive side crank, The rock shox rear shock etc.), and the ever continuing falls and crashes, this bike still holds up to my abuse. On top of this I weigh 225 making this bike awesome for tolerating this kind of treatment. This bike is great for the 200 plus freerider. Just makes sure the components are durable enough to withstand the hardcore rider within you.

Favorite Trail:   Sprain Ridge, Graham Hills

Purchased At:   A Friend

Bike Setup:   Stratos Helix Expert rear shock (Smooth), IRC Kujo DH Tires(2.65) MRP chain guide system, 2001 Marzocchi Jr. T fork.

Submitted by paulen beavercrochen a Downhiller from vancouver bc canada

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Strengths:    this bike is great i'm a mountain biker who just had a sex change and i meet so many hunky guys since i get this new bike.it rides great with or with out the seat.and no matter how many times i wipe out this bike just keeps going.the reason i got the sex change was because of my old bike .i got one of my nuts pinched in the frame and it just about pulled it right off.so i went to the vet and got nuderd.

Weaknesses:    the only thing that i can say about this bike is that when i wipe out on it it is much heaver than my old bike and hurts more when it lands on me.i found that out last time i came to after wiping out.it had knocked off one of my falesies.

Bottom Line:
well i hope to see you on the trail so we can go riding and maybe we can go biking sometime to.and if you find a falesie on the trail i would love to get it back.

Favorite Trail:   severed dick

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   stinky me sorry i ment stinky d

Bike Setup:   big big seat jr t pink flowers and tassels. and my bike has 2.6 tires funn seat jr t and funn stem.

Submitted by paul beavel a Weekend Warrior from vancouver bc canada

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Strengths:    i'm a crazzy rider and i'm willing to try any thing on a bike and i mean anything . and if this bike can hold up to what i put it through than it can take anything.it is the plushest bike i tave ever had.this bike feels great on the small bumps and the big hucks.no more sore ass for me at least not from bike riding.

Weaknesses:    the rear swing arm was a little weak. but i had them put the 2002 swing arm on and my bike is way stronger now.

Bottom Line:
i find that this bike has helpped me become a better rider.because i'm mental handi caped and riding a bike is something i never thought i would do because one leg is way shorter than the other. so we put a big block on one of the peddles and because of the plushness of this bike i can keep both my legs on the bike and i'm not getting my seat in the bum anymore. i love riding my bike and not have my bike ride my ass.

Favorite Trail:   neds and cbc

Purchased At:   bike sport pacific

Similar Products Used:   the stinky d is the closest bike i have ever riden that would hold a candel to the giant.

Bike Setup:   funn stem , funn seat , funn fat boy slims for bars ,jr t's seven inch,2.65 tires in front and 2.3 in back.

Submitted by Kendall Isenhour a Downhiller from Hickory, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2002

Strengths:    Giant AThe C1 is a good all around bike for the price, It has lots of strong gussets, Plush 6 in of travel, and just a very comfortable Bike

Weaknesses:    The Intergrated Headset, & not coming factory with dual crown fork like a Super T

Bottom Line:
Good bike if ya like going down hilling but also like to get into the woods or even do some lite wight shore and freeriding. ONLY IF YOUR A LITE WEIGHT RIDER.

Favorite Trail:   Backside Brown

Purchased At:   Clark Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   2001 Kona Stinky Delux

Bike Setup:   XT Bottom Braket & cranks,Azonic Pedals, Super T, Answer Pro Tapers,Sram 7.0 shifters & derailor,Intence ODI grips,Hayes Hydrolics Purple, Cane Creek Head Set, Kona 1in rise stem, Ryno Lite Rims, Maxis mobster up front, Panaracer DH in Back, Axiom Dual seat post,& SDG Seat

Submitted by MIKE "SPANKY" LEAMON a Weekend Warrior from AMARILLO,TX

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2002

Strengths:    FRAKE, FRT SUSP. FORK, WHEEL SET AND BRAKES

Weaknesses:    HAS FLEX ON BIG LEDGE DROPS VERY BIG. TOOK 5 MONTHS TO GET.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A VERY FUN DO ALL BIKE FROM CROSS COUNTRY TO DOWN HILL AND DUALS. COULD USE A BEEFIER REAR SHOCK BUT THIS IS THE LIGHTEST OF THE A.C. BIKES. OTHER THAN THAT THIS BIKE IS A BLAST TO RIDE.

Favorite Trail:   CEDRO CANYON

Purchased At:   BIKE KORNER

Similar Products Used:   SANTA CRUZ

Bike Setup:   STOCK EXCEPT CHANGED PEDALS TO SOME AZONIC A FRAMES

Submitted by Joe Martin a Downhiller from San Fran

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    Extremely nice!! great for drops and jumps!
nice fork and rear susp!

Weaknesses:    maybe,maybe, maybe lx shifters...

Bottom Line:
Very nice bike, extremely nice frame and suspension.!!
Llove the wheels and the brakes work like no other!!!

Favorite Trail:   The Swiveler

Purchased At:   Bob's

Similar Products Used:   Many duals

Bike Setup:   only the best

Submitted by Shep a Cross Country Rider from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2002

Strengths:    Brakes, Zokes(see weaknesses), Geometry, Looks very sexy much better than '02 model(bOring!), 6" travel, Ball fertilizer, fanny magnet. (Last two not 'actual' products but 'real' strengths)

Weaknesses:    Rear hub worn out 3 months, Rapid-fire shifters makes adjustment of brake levers impossible for one finger use--who needs two fingers with hydraulics? Front end too light--pops up on steep climbs and easy to wash out--although could be tyres or just plain ole bad riding technique. XT cranks--just doesn't co-ordinate baby! Prodigy stem--needs a 4 bolt fastener to stop creaking.
No lockout on Zokes makes standing climbs a pogostick ride.
Medium frame with 500lb spring--who rides this, Eithiopians?
Pedals--plastic crap, Freehub protector--what am I, a baby? I know I'm picky but riding 4/5 times a week for 6 months you get real intimate.

Bottom Line:
Top titty bike, I know I listed more weaknesses than strengths but these are product-mix glitches which can be easily rectified. The price is well below any USA--but made in Taiwan anyway--bike. As with most complete bikes, manufacturers' cut corners to acheive attractive prices. Here you have a good chassis, suspension and brakes--the cornerstone of a good ride, all the rest is just accessories--expensive accessories though. Wicked for downhill, confidence boosting. This bike makes you want to get air all the time. If you're passionate about riding and don't want to break the bank--get one and don't upgrade the crappy stuff until it wears out. The first time I rode it I truly believed I couldn't fall off--until I did, but I was so stoked I didn't feel a thing. The problem with this bike is: you will fall off a lot because you will do crazy stuff.
Weight wimps need not apply!

Favorite Trail:   Any w/o stupid 'deer in headlights' hikers

Similar Products Used:   Last ride: Jamis Dakar Team w/rigid forks--wild ride.

Bike Setup:   Stock except 700lb spring and Azonic A-frames.

Submitted by Kris a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2002

Strengths:    Parts list can't be topped for the money, stable at slow and fast speeds, lots of travel, jumps and drops well and can still climb, looks good - gets lots of looks from every one

Weaknesses:    The rider, saddle

Bottom Line:
This is an update to a previous review. This bike gets better and better, I'm doing stuff I didn't believe possible - big log crossings, big gap jumps, incredibly steep and technical descents. I love this bike.

I weight 165lbs and have set the rear shock on:-
Changed 500lbs spring for 700lbs spring
6" travel
10 clicks out from min rebound
6 clicks out from min compression
1/2 full turn of spring preload from free length
The front is set on:-
1 full turn from min compression (still have not bottomed out from 4' drop)
5 clicks in from min rebound

this set up is perfect for me but might not suit any body else, if you are unsure how to set up you AC-1, try my set up for a week and then change to suit your self. They work better set up soft I have found.

The tyres I previously thought were crap now hook up perfectly with the above mentioned set up. I also run 18 psi in the front and 25psi in the rear, I haven't had a pinch flat or bent wheel yet and have done about 500klm of hard bush riding.

I also put a Tioga Multi-control XL saddle on. The saddle is about 2" longer than the original and looks funny at first but is a huge improvement to both comfort and control, I will never buy a different saddle, it is perfect for the AC-1.

The AC-1 is lighter than the AC-2 and is noticeable when riding, so if you have the choice go for the AC-1.

If you are considering an AC, buy one, you will not be dissapointed guarenteed.

Favorite Trail:   Stupidlyhappy

Purchased At:   Riders cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Giant AC-2 (simmilar but heavier), Craftworks FRM125(simmilar price but lower spec'd)

Bike Setup:   Basically stock except Tioga Multi-control XL saddle and Lizardskin chainstay protector. Upgraded to 700lbs spring

Submitted by Jonathan a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2002

Strengths:    Great Frame but if you have developed play in the rear end I can help you out

Weaknesses:    Often the rear linkages will develope play

Bottom Line:
If your AC has developed play in the rear end and Giant will not warrentee the frame then look no further. I am selling Nylon washer kits with installation instructions which will stiffen up that rear end to that of the 02 model. E mail me if interested.
-Disclaimer-
This product is NOT a Giant product and will void all frame warrentee. However the modification requires no permanent changes to the frame and can be removed at anytime.
It is a great solution if you have the problem and want a quick cheap solution.