Giant 2000 XtC Full Suspension Bike

4.31/5 (124 Reviews)

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Flyer68 a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight frame 2.5kg as heavy as a Anthem. Welding n paintwork. Rear vintage sid dual air rockshox. Still able to be very compatible with current components.

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
Din know abt so many good review of this bike until recently!!! Always in love with full sus. Decided to swap all the components from a Giant Terrago hardtail to this frame. The rear shocks comes with air leakage problem. To my discovery, rebuild kit are no longer build by Rockshox. I had to find substitutes. Yes, found some right sized o-rings to replaced out the damaged ones. Coated plenty of vaseline on them. Had put in a fresh serving of shock oil in oil can then compressed it to 175psi. Assemble back then pump 180psi in pos n 50psi in neg. No air leakage was detected in the water pail test ;-)
Set sag abt 20%. Waiting for the dirty chain to be cleaned tomorrow then fix it back. Excited to test it this coming weekend.

Favorite Trail:   None

Purchased At:   Togoparts

Similar Products Used:   Polygon Supreme 2.0 full sus

Bike Setup:   Full Deora, Token seat post, Sella Royal saddle, MJ stem n carbon wrap handle bar, Suntour Epicon fork.

Submitted by Jeremy a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2005

Strengths:    Good bike for the price. Haynes brakes stop on a dime, shifts very well, good gear ratios. Great ride on smooth trails and over the rocks. Puts up with serious abuse from a 200 lb rider.

Weaknesses:    Chain suck forces you to keep chain in good working order (aka properly lubed), otherwise it can jam between the frame and a chain ring. I busted the frame at rear shock weld on the seat tube after 3 years. Giant replaced the frame within a month or so for free, with a newer (larger because I asked for it) 2003 frame. The newer frame has additional support at that location. The older frame ran cables over the top tube, newer frame runs them under. This is inconvient because it makes it hard to hang things from the top tube (tire pump in my case). On the plus side the newer frame doesn't seem to have as much problem with chain suck.

Bottom Line:
Can't remember exactly how much I paid for it it was somewhere around $1800. Its been worth every penny. When I purchased it, the other bikes I was looking at cost $2800+. It has lasted 5.5 years now (sorta), i've replaced most of the drive train during that time but far less than other bikes i've owned. The brakes worked for 4 years without a hitch, and then It took me 5 tries to get them bled properly. I still don't feel any need to buy another mountain bike, but If I do (for the wife) it will probably be another Giant. Would be a 5 if the frame hadn't broken, gave them a 4 even though it did because I got good service.

Purchased At:   Univerisity Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Assorted other bikes.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock, with upgraded shifters, front derailer, newer frame, better chain.

Submitted by Jim A a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2004

Strengths:    Even coming into the 5th year of riding this bike, I can't justify or find a reason to get something newer. Giant has tweaked the design, but not really changed it. It's been excellent from day one. Hey, they're still selling a ton of them, so you know it's a good design

Weaknesses:    After trashing the Formula brakes for the Shimano XT's and updating my shifters to LX, and replacing the original adequate Race Face crankset (The old prodigy was cheap, the newer Prodigy is decent) with a new LX, I think this bike is ready to rock for another 4 years!

Bottom Line:
Still loving the design after 4 years... Does it get better than that????

Favorite Trail:   The ones you haven't discovered

Similar Products Used:   Read my previous reviews

Bike Setup:   You just heard it, in weaknesses...

Submitted by Jim A a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2004

Strengths:    Still a great ride even at 4 years old!!!

Weaknesses:    Original Formula brakes were garbage. Replaced with Shimano XT's 4 years ago, still delighted with them.

Bottom Line:
Best Bike I've had. While some of the new rides look attractive, I'm still in love with this baby!

Overall rating dinged one Chile for the POS Formula Brakes that Giant made me buy and never stood behind. (Where's the guy that decided on those things? I want to make him eat them.

Favorite Trail:   Various

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Toronto

Similar Products Used:   Bikes

Bike Setup:   Changed Crankset (Original Race Face Prodigy was crap, newer Prodigy is a totally different Crank) to 2004 Deore LX, and it's sweet. 2000 XT disc brakes, XT shifters, bike's getting a bit worn but still a happy ride.

Submitted by Kelvin a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2002

Strengths:    bright enough paint job for urban nite rides,
half decent components, "no bob" rear sus geometry

Weaknesses:    brakes...what brakes? weak rims, frame dents easily (I can even squeeze it but that's not the same as riding the bike), seatpost keeps on dropping due to weld inside the seattube protruding thru.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the money for a good rear suspension design
components are half decent, frnt/rear susp. fairly well balanced (I'm 130pds), I'm heading in to trials, this bike definitely doesn't cut it for anymore better than beginners.

Similar Products Used:   proflex, team marin, marin bear valley, rocky mountain experience

Bike Setup:   XC, minor trials

Submitted by Jim A a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2002

Strengths:    Well, here I am the first reviewer, finally coming back after having the bike for 2.5 years...

Overall been a solid performer. Changed the travel on the Judy's but not had any problems.

Weaknesses:    Didn't care for the shifters, upgraded to LX, Grips were too narrow (Personal Preference) Cheap RaceFace crankset has been crooked from day one (not severely, but I can see it if I look), will eventually throw it out and buy something straight, still have the original brakes on the shelf (because Giant should have been spanked for putting such crap on in the first place), the hydraulic Shimano disks I put on, still make me happy, Went with the Red Michelens just for fun, (between the gaudy paint and the tires, I get questions all the time about the bike...).

Bottom Line:
Hey I still love it... But there are days I wish I kept my Avalanche for doing some trials.

Favorite Trail:   Hilton Falls

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Metal things with two wheels on them.

Bike Setup:   Original, except I put on my old WTB seat, went to LX shifters (shorter throw).

Submitted by Lee a Weekend Warrior from Macau

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2002

Strengths:    light suspension frame, go angle of tubing, feel soft when biking

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy of chainstays

Bottom Line:
When I brought it, I took to re-built, with the components as above, but of coz, I fitted a lock-out shock as well. I use this of biking in streets, I haven't used this to go cc riding...I need to test it on off-roads...the bike is lighter than XCX's, that's I like it to...haha

Purchased At:   Wing Lei Bicycles Macau

Similar Products Used:   Giant XtC (hardtail) Team and XCX DS-1, Hasa EX-2 (made in Taiwan)

Bike Setup:   XtC frame, '01 SID 100, RS SID XC lock-out shock, Sun Ringle DS1 XC, Deore STi, XT mechs and cassette, Raceface Prodigy, Shimano Deore discs, Kore Lite stem, bar and seatpost, Selle Italia ATX

Submitted by itai from tel aviv

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Strengths:    best cross country bike yet

Weaknesses:    rear derailier knocks the frame whith bumps, original sadle sucks.
frames break at cranck, replaced by dealer

Bottom Line:
great all rounder, disc brakes are amzing, good rear suspension.

Favorite Trail:   flum trail, lake tahoe

Purchased At:   ziv's, Raanana

Similar Products Used:   kona fs, giant 990, khs fx

Submitted by Pat Mullen a Racer from Albuquerque NM

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2001

Strengths:    Light enough. Cheap enough. Good travel. Handles well. Very responsive.

Weaknesses:    I broke my frame after a year of use (many things that shouldn't be done to a xc bike). Giant replaced it no questions asked.

Bottom Line:
It's a very hard bike to beat for the money. I raced all season on it and really appreciated the travel on the decents. It handles well and climbs with gusto. DO NOT try any drop-offs on the bike though. You'll bust your frame like I did. It's better and more fun to just buy the right bike for that if that's what you want to do. All around a darn good bike from a darn good company especially for the money.

Favorite Trail:   I could tell you but...

Purchased At:   Bike World

Similar Products Used:   GT i-drive, Cannondale super-V, assorted hardtails...

Bike Setup:   I switched to hayes mechanical with the help of Giant for $140 because the Formula mechanical brakes that the bike came with sucked. They had the deal through the shop and it really improved the ride.

Submitted by Doug (SLUG) Erickson a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh, NC Wake County

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Strengths:    excellent component package,suspension works great.Hayes discs,time pedals,Sid shocks,Race Face cranks/chain rings.

Weaknesses:    Constant problems with chain-suck when shifting from middle ring to granny gear, since day one.Crappy Koski saddle.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike for a year and a half,and my only complaint to date has been the problem with chain suck.
Had shop mechanic check several times, but the problem persists. Giant Rep authorized replacing middle ring,this had no effect whatsoever.
Took my XTC-DS1 to the shop this week with a cracked seat tube,it's cracked almost all the way around tube just below the top shock mount. Am waiting for a response from Giant via my local bike shop. This will be a true indicator of how reputable Giant is after the sale.
This has been a great bike,even with the continuous chain suck problem. I would still recomend this bike to anyone looking for a good all around full suspension,cross - country ride.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Road

Purchased At:   All Star Bike Raleigh, NC

Similar Products Used:   1st full suspension bike.

Bike Setup:   stock,except for grips,saddle,& tires

Submitted by matt s a Weekend Warrior from australia

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2001

Strengths:    excellent value for money, top notch suspension with its (no sag) technology, reasonable weight and superb brakes

Weaknesses:    I get chain suck everytime I chane from the middle ring to the inner ring at the front, sh*t handlebar grips and I have heard that the hayes calipers break if pressure is applyed in reverse, ex. trials hopping

Bottom Line:
sick XC bike but not to be used on any big stuff or trials.
Great value for money with excellent specs.

Purchased At:   uncle's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   giant hardtail, specialized

Bike Setup:   stock, except for oury grips

Submitted by Chris from Redwood City, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Strengths:    A lot of bike for the bucks

Weaknesses:    Major design flaw that the MFG knows about regarding the the shock mount welds on the seat tube.

Bottom Line:
Totally bummed that I broke this bike. I had finally gotten to the point that I was feeling very confident with it. The thing that really bums me out is that Giant actually knows about the design flaw (the shock mount welds fail under load). The problem was fixed on the 2001 NRS.

The good news is that I was able to upgrade to an AC Air for a couple hundred bucks.

The bad news is that the dealer couldn't get the outside sales rep to return his phone calls. After two weeks, I had to phone the factory to get the ball rolling on my warranty frame. My advice is that you stay on top of the factory if you have warranty issues. The dealers get no attention.

Giant is a good company that needs some help with their customer service department. 5 for value and 2 for overall because I should not have been able to break this bike the way I did with the type of riding that I do.

Favorite Trail:   Can't say

Purchased At:   Pacific Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Tested and demo'd many brands

Bike Setup:   When I broke it, it was stock except for the Psylo XC, XTR Derailleurs and Ryno Lites with Panaracer Pyro (rear) and the Fire XC Pro (front)

Submitted by ken a Weekend Warrior from houston,tx

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2001

Strengths:    suspension works better than advertised

Weaknesses:    noisy

Bottom Line:
this bike climbs as well as my mojo,and descends even faster
quick and smooth thru the roots and rocks
I took it to colorado this summer and loved it even more
the only change will be the fork, i think i'll go with
a psylo, more plush! otherwise great bike

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Planetary Cycles

Similar Products Used:   spec.fsr,ibis szasbo

Bike Setup:   avid v-brakes, xt evrything, chris king, monkeylite riser,
marzocchi z1 superfly, mavic,michelin

Submitted by Yakka Yakka a Cross Country Rider from Perth, Western Australia

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Strengths:    Hayes Discs when they work and not being re-bled so often.
Cheap as - Thanks Dell. Cranks, Rims, SID shocks, componentry more than adequate, Good all round bike - I call it the happy medium, ride it all day up and downhill. No pushing a big heavy rig up hills.

Weaknesses:    Hayes, numberous problems with re-bleeding required sooo many times its not funny, brake fail, etc, etc, pads replaced x2 in 10 months.
FRAME REPLACED AFTER 10 MONTHS OF OWNING THIS BIKE- WELD CRACKS around rear shock pivots, GIANTS BACKUP SERVICE IS COMPLETE AND UTTER S**** HERE IN OZ- now more than 2 months waiting and still waiting - NO THANKS VERY MUCH GIANT, no thanks ill be going elsewhere in future. You wait a week for a car to be replaced/repaired with an insurance company, whats going on guys???
Frame creaks, Broken spokes++++, bike never raced.
I'd probably give it 5 lemons but 4 chilles when it was new and running perfectly.

Bottom Line:
Go elsewhere, cause their(giants) service is cr**, bike rides well though, and I was happy b4 this all happened, you dont pay $3000 AUS for a bike and have it sit in the shop. Go a new craftworks FR due for release soon. How am I going to offload this bike to some unsuspecting buyer with the front half of the frame in different colours compared to the rear?

Favorite Trail:   Perth