Giant 2000 XtC DS2 Full Suspension Bike

4.34/5 (44 Reviews)

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou SX, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Flyer68 a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight frame 2.5kg as heavy as a Anthem. Welding n paintwork. Rear vintage sid dual air rockshox. Still able to be very compatible with current components.

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
Din know abt so many good review of this bike until recently!!! Always in love with full sus. Decided to swap all the components from a Giant Terrago hardtail to this frame. The rear shocks comes with air leakage problem. To my discovery, rebuild kit are no longer build by Rockshox. I had to find substitutes. Yes, found some right sized o-rings to replaced out the damaged ones. Coated plenty of vaseline on them. Had put in a fresh serving of shock oil in oil can then compressed it to 175psi. Assemble back then pump 180psi in pos n 50psi in neg. No air leakage was detected in the water pail test ;-)
Set sag abt 20%. Waiting for the dirty chain to be cleaned tomorrow then fix it back. Excited to test it this coming weekend.

Favorite Trail:   None

Purchased At:   Togoparts

Similar Products Used:   Polygon Supreme 2.0 full sus

Bike Setup:   Full Deora, Token seat post, Sella Royal saddle, MJ stem n carbon wrap handle bar, Suntour Epicon fork.

Submitted by Jim A a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2004

Strengths:    Even coming into the 5th year of riding this bike, I can't justify or find a reason to get something newer. Giant has tweaked the design, but not really changed it. It's been excellent from day one. Hey, they're still selling a ton of them, so you know it's a good design

Weaknesses:    After trashing the Formula brakes for the Shimano XT's and updating my shifters to LX, and replacing the original adequate Race Face crankset (The old prodigy was cheap, the newer Prodigy is decent) with a new LX, I think this bike is ready to rock for another 4 years!

Bottom Line:
Still loving the design after 4 years... Does it get better than that????

Favorite Trail:   The ones you haven't discovered

Similar Products Used:   Read my previous reviews

Bike Setup:   You just heard it, in weaknesses...

Submitted by Jim A a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2004

Strengths:    Still a great ride even at 4 years old!!!

Weaknesses:    Original Formula brakes were garbage. Replaced with Shimano XT's 4 years ago, still delighted with them.

Bottom Line:
Best Bike I've had. While some of the new rides look attractive, I'm still in love with this baby!

Overall rating dinged one Chile for the POS Formula Brakes that Giant made me buy and never stood behind. (Where's the guy that decided on those things? I want to make him eat them.

Favorite Trail:   Various

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Toronto

Similar Products Used:   Bikes

Bike Setup:   Changed Crankset (Original Race Face Prodigy was crap, newer Prodigy is a totally different Crank) to 2004 Deore LX, and it's sweet. 2000 XT disc brakes, XT shifters, bike's getting a bit worn but still a happy ride.

Submitted by Kelvin a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2002

Strengths:    bright enough paint job for urban nite rides,
half decent components, "no bob" rear sus geometry

Weaknesses:    brakes...what brakes? weak rims, frame dents easily (I can even squeeze it but that's not the same as riding the bike), seatpost keeps on dropping due to weld inside the seattube protruding thru.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the money for a good rear suspension design
components are half decent, frnt/rear susp. fairly well balanced (I'm 130pds), I'm heading in to trials, this bike definitely doesn't cut it for anymore better than beginners.

Similar Products Used:   proflex, team marin, marin bear valley, rocky mountain experience

Bike Setup:   XC, minor trials

Submitted by Jim A a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2002

Strengths:    Well, here I am the first reviewer, finally coming back after having the bike for 2.5 years...

Overall been a solid performer. Changed the travel on the Judy's but not had any problems.

Weaknesses:    Didn't care for the shifters, upgraded to LX, Grips were too narrow (Personal Preference) Cheap RaceFace crankset has been crooked from day one (not severely, but I can see it if I look), will eventually throw it out and buy something straight, still have the original brakes on the shelf (because Giant should have been spanked for putting such crap on in the first place), the hydraulic Shimano disks I put on, still make me happy, Went with the Red Michelens just for fun, (between the gaudy paint and the tires, I get questions all the time about the bike...).

Bottom Line:
Hey I still love it... But there are days I wish I kept my Avalanche for doing some trials.

Favorite Trail:   Hilton Falls

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Metal things with two wheels on them.

Bike Setup:   Original, except I put on my old WTB seat, went to LX shifters (shorter throw).

Submitted by Lee a Weekend Warrior from Macau

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2002

Strengths:    light suspension frame, go angle of tubing, feel soft when biking

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy of chainstays

Bottom Line:
When I brought it, I took to re-built, with the components as above, but of coz, I fitted a lock-out shock as well. I use this of biking in streets, I haven't used this to go cc riding...I need to test it on off-roads...the bike is lighter than XCX's, that's I like it to...haha

Purchased At:   Wing Lei Bicycles Macau

Similar Products Used:   Giant XtC (hardtail) Team and XCX DS-1, Hasa EX-2 (made in Taiwan)

Bike Setup:   XtC frame, '01 SID 100, RS SID XC lock-out shock, Sun Ringle DS1 XC, Deore STi, XT mechs and cassette, Raceface Prodigy, Shimano Deore discs, Kore Lite stem, bar and seatpost, Selle Italia ATX

Submitted by Pat Mullen a Racer from Albuquerque NM

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2001

Strengths:    Light enough. Cheap enough. Good travel. Handles well. Very responsive.

Weaknesses:    I broke my frame after a year of use (many things that shouldn't be done to a xc bike). Giant replaced it no questions asked.

Bottom Line:
It's a very hard bike to beat for the money. I raced all season on it and really appreciated the travel on the decents. It handles well and climbs with gusto. DO NOT try any drop-offs on the bike though. You'll bust your frame like I did. It's better and more fun to just buy the right bike for that if that's what you want to do. All around a darn good bike from a darn good company especially for the money.

Favorite Trail:   I could tell you but...

Purchased At:   Bike World

Similar Products Used:   GT i-drive, Cannondale super-V, assorted hardtails...

Bike Setup:   I switched to hayes mechanical with the help of Giant for $140 because the Formula mechanical brakes that the bike came with sucked. They had the deal through the shop and it really improved the ride.

Submitted by Chris from Redwood City, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Strengths:    A lot of bike for the bucks

Weaknesses:    Major design flaw that the MFG knows about regarding the the shock mount welds on the seat tube.

Bottom Line:
Totally bummed that I broke this bike. I had finally gotten to the point that I was feeling very confident with it. The thing that really bums me out is that Giant actually knows about the design flaw (the shock mount welds fail under load). The problem was fixed on the 2001 NRS.

The good news is that I was able to upgrade to an AC Air for a couple hundred bucks.

The bad news is that the dealer couldn't get the outside sales rep to return his phone calls. After two weeks, I had to phone the factory to get the ball rolling on my warranty frame. My advice is that you stay on top of the factory if you have warranty issues. The dealers get no attention.

Giant is a good company that needs some help with their customer service department. 5 for value and 2 for overall because I should not have been able to break this bike the way I did with the type of riding that I do.

Favorite Trail:   Can't say

Purchased At:   Pacific Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Tested and demo'd many brands

Bike Setup:   When I broke it, it was stock except for the Psylo XC, XTR Derailleurs and Ryno Lites with Panaracer Pyro (rear) and the Fire XC Pro (front)

Submitted by RacerX a Downhiller from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2001

Strengths:    Great frame and rear suspension

Weaknesses:    brakes,Unsealed integrated headset,Rear bushings, weak ass rims.Go 20lbs higher on the rear shock then what it says and DAM!!!Broke my XTR chain on this bike 7 times.I put the cheapest heaviest one I could find onit and it has been great since.

Bottom Line:
I posted a review after having mine for a year, since that time I have changed the stem,headset,Put a Phsylo SL on taken the big ring off in favor of a raceface rock guard, changed the bars to Monkey lite risers and the post to LP Carbon and changed the seat, Rims, and switched to Hayes mechanical........I know it's alot but I really love the frame..it's really a freeride bike now and trust me!!!!it handles it no problem......If you change two things on this bike make it the brakes and the rims....and put some 2.3" tires on it.........this bike is almost as badass as my downhill ride.....but not quite... : ).....Go ride.....

Favorite Trail:   Hole in the Ground

Bike Setup:   Totaly different bike now. The frame is what I bought it for.it's the same as the DS1

Submitted by Daryl Faddy a Weekend Warrior from Sydney NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Strengths:    easiest bike i have ridden for doing everything from street to downhill, single track, etc

Weaknesses:    none so far as i had a few upgrades done before i picked the bike up.

Bottom Line:
this is my first full suspesion bike although i have ridden many others. i find this bike copes with everything i can throw at it. i ride on the street up and down stairs etc, mainly free riding. i do ride assorted trails on the weekends when i can get away, with this rangeing from single track to downhill type riding and have found no weakness with this bike for someone of my ability. this bike is by far one of the best toys i have purchased and is taking me away from my other passion which is motorcycles were i ride sports bikes as i love speed and try do a lot of track days to feed my adrenalin habit, which is being feed by my mountain bike very well.if you are looking for a full suspesion allrounder this is the bike, you will not be disappointed. Don't forget to set it up to suit your riding.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   inner city cycles. Glebe. Syd. Aust.

Similar Products Used:   GT i-drive 5 and 6, i have also riden a few others that belong to friends. i would like to try the AC range to see if the feel if the longer travel suspension is as good, but for now i am very happy.

Bike Setup:   i have changed the handle bars to azonic 1/2 rise, deore hydrolic discs, hutchison tyres, and the best change so far has been to put judy sl forks. i have also had the granny ring removed as i find i get cramps when using it.My local shop helps me heaps with setup and for this i am more than greatful, these guys are the best.

Submitted by Saint Viper a Cross Country Rider from WI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2001

Strengths:    Suspension works well, decent components

Weaknesses:    Pedals are hard to get into, seat is not good, and handlebars way way too wide

Bottom Line:
I picked up this bike from a shop that was going out of business and got a good deal on it. So far I've been very happy. The rear suspension is very well controlled and works well on both big and small bumps. The front works equally well though a little more preload would be nice. I weigh 220lbs so I don't expect to be able to dial out all the bob in the rear end. That said, with a little adjustment with there air pressure, I've managed to get rid of most of it. There are 2 stickers on the bike that say how to adjust the rear shock. Go with the one on the bike, not the one on the shock. The bike does make quite a bit of rattling and clanking noise on rough downhills. Tightning up all the suspension joints (there are lots of them)helps, but it still sounds loose. It doesn't feel loose though which is good.

The shifters work well under load. Shifter action is a little light, but it works well once you get used to it. Shifts are fast and solid, you can shift while standing up. They gear indictors are useless as they don't line up with the markers, but who uses those anyway? At least they are small.

Only minor complaints about the bike so far. The pedals are more difficult to get into than my old Shimano SPD's, and the release tension when set to max is just good enough. The seat isn't the worst I've ridden on and looks good, but could be a little more comfortable. The only really screwy thing with the bike is the width of the handlebars. I suppose it's best to start out wide so you can cut them down, but geeze, if Hulk Hogan were riding the bike, he'd be right at home. Well I cut them down and now they are fine.

I see lots of complaints about the brakes. Mine have been fine so far. I hear that both Giant and Formula have replacement policies, so the problems must be real, but mine have been fine so far. Since the new bikes have different brakes, that's not much of an issue anymore, but don't let the brakes keep you from buying this bike. Try them out first and if you don't like that, Giant will send you new ones.

Overall I give this bike 4 chili's since it's kind of heavy and the components aren't top of the line. That doesn't bother me since I'm heavy and not going racing, but the DS1 is better so I can't give this bike a 5. For the value though it's tough to beat so I give it 5 chili's there. If this bike is in your price range, I strongly recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   John Muir Trail, WI

Purchased At:   Dennis Sports Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek 9000 (Rated worst FS bike ever)

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Columbus, Oh

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2001

Strengths:    The best part about the bike is the promised no power loss under pedaling. Nice component mix. Best value of the full suspension bikes that I tried out. The concept of disc brakes is a good idea.(After the Hayes swap out). Nice smooth ride, but not the best balanced climber (riser bar and stem issue). The front manitou shock is plush, just as they claim. Good Job Giant!!!

Weaknesses:    The brakes are the absolute worst part of this bike. Take advantage of the swap-out from Giant.

Bottom Line:
The bike is the best value for the money. Giant is an award-winning company for their NRS for a damn good reason. This bike kicks ass. Swap the brakes as soon as u get it and also change the riser and stem to something lower if you plan on climbing.

Favorite Trail:   anything that is steep

Purchased At:   BikeSource

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Redwood City, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2001

Strengths:    It carries my heavy a#@ up and down the hill without the wheels or frame folding!

Weaknesses:    Crappy Formula MD-1 won't stop squealing!! One day Giant will honor their upgrade offer and give me the Hayes I was promised when I purchased it. Maybe then I will stop scaring the wildlife and small children on the trail and people will stop pointing and laughing as I ride by.

Manitou SX fork...janky adjustment and $25 for the special grease gun to lube it? Whose idea was that?

Bottom Line:
The fact that it carries all 250lbs of me up and down the hill with very little pedal bob while managing a really plush DH experience speaks volumes to this bikes ability and design. If you are in the market for a solid entry level bike that will give you a lot of bang for the buck then this is the bike to buy!! $900 bought a heckuva lotta bike. I doubt there is anything other than the brakes and maybe the fork that I would change on this scoot.

If you are looking to start out and don't want to spend a a@#load of money then this the ride for you!!

Five for value 'cuz I gotta a rippin' deal. Four for overall because after three months I still can't Giant to upgrade my brakes as promised! Come on guys!!!

Favorite Trail:   Dirt ones

Purchased At:   Pacific Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Demo'd many brands in the sub $1500 price range before settling on this one.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the Panaracer XCs

Submitted by john a Weekend Warrior from nj

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2001

Strengths:    What can I say great bike !!!! Just Finsh a 24 hours race on this bike.The bike ran great.This company just got bike of the year 2001.If anyone is looking for a great bike check this bike out!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Thin paint on the frame.Seat post makes noise.Fix grease the seat post

Bottom Line:
Please check out this company for bikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Local shop