Giant 2000 XtC DS1 Full Suspension Bike

4.29/5 (80 Reviews)

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Jeremy a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2005

Strengths:    Good bike for the price. Haynes brakes stop on a dime, shifts very well, good gear ratios. Great ride on smooth trails and over the rocks. Puts up with serious abuse from a 200 lb rider.

Weaknesses:    Chain suck forces you to keep chain in good working order (aka properly lubed), otherwise it can jam between the frame and a chain ring. I busted the frame at rear shock weld on the seat tube after 3 years. Giant replaced the frame within a month or so for free, with a newer (larger because I asked for it) 2003 frame. The newer frame has additional support at that location. The older frame ran cables over the top tube, newer frame runs them under. This is inconvient because it makes it hard to hang things from the top tube (tire pump in my case). On the plus side the newer frame doesn't seem to have as much problem with chain suck.

Bottom Line:
Can't remember exactly how much I paid for it it was somewhere around $1800. Its been worth every penny. When I purchased it, the other bikes I was looking at cost $2800+. It has lasted 5.5 years now (sorta), i've replaced most of the drive train during that time but far less than other bikes i've owned. The brakes worked for 4 years without a hitch, and then It took me 5 tries to get them bled properly. I still don't feel any need to buy another mountain bike, but If I do (for the wife) it will probably be another Giant. Would be a 5 if the frame hadn't broken, gave them a 4 even though it did because I got good service.

Purchased At:   Univerisity Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Assorted other bikes.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock, with upgraded shifters, front derailer, newer frame, better chain.

Submitted by itai from tel aviv

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Strengths:    best cross country bike yet

Weaknesses:    rear derailier knocks the frame whith bumps, original sadle sucks.
frames break at cranck, replaced by dealer

Bottom Line:
great all rounder, disc brakes are amzing, good rear suspension.

Favorite Trail:   flum trail, lake tahoe

Purchased At:   ziv's, Raanana

Similar Products Used:   kona fs, giant 990, khs fx

Submitted by Doug (SLUG) Erickson a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh, NC Wake County

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Strengths:    excellent component package,suspension works great.Hayes discs,time pedals,Sid shocks,Race Face cranks/chain rings.

Weaknesses:    Constant problems with chain-suck when shifting from middle ring to granny gear, since day one.Crappy Koski saddle.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike for a year and a half,and my only complaint to date has been the problem with chain suck.
Had shop mechanic check several times, but the problem persists. Giant Rep authorized replacing middle ring,this had no effect whatsoever.
Took my XTC-DS1 to the shop this week with a cracked seat tube,it's cracked almost all the way around tube just below the top shock mount. Am waiting for a response from Giant via my local bike shop. This will be a true indicator of how reputable Giant is after the sale.
This has been a great bike,even with the continuous chain suck problem. I would still recomend this bike to anyone looking for a good all around full suspension,cross - country ride.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Road

Purchased At:   All Star Bike Raleigh, NC

Similar Products Used:   1st full suspension bike.

Bike Setup:   stock,except for grips,saddle,& tires

Submitted by matt s a Weekend Warrior from australia

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2001

Strengths:    excellent value for money, top notch suspension with its (no sag) technology, reasonable weight and superb brakes

Weaknesses:    I get chain suck everytime I chane from the middle ring to the inner ring at the front, sh*t handlebar grips and I have heard that the hayes calipers break if pressure is applyed in reverse, ex. trials hopping

Bottom Line:
sick XC bike but not to be used on any big stuff or trials.
Great value for money with excellent specs.

Purchased At:   uncle's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   giant hardtail, specialized

Bike Setup:   stock, except for oury grips

Submitted by ken a Weekend Warrior from houston,tx

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2001

Strengths:    suspension works better than advertised

Weaknesses:    noisy

Bottom Line:
this bike climbs as well as my mojo,and descends even faster
quick and smooth thru the roots and rocks
I took it to colorado this summer and loved it even more
the only change will be the fork, i think i'll go with
a psylo, more plush! otherwise great bike

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Planetary Cycles

Similar Products Used:   spec.fsr,ibis szasbo

Bike Setup:   avid v-brakes, xt evrything, chris king, monkeylite riser,
marzocchi z1 superfly, mavic,michelin

Submitted by Yakka Yakka a Cross Country Rider from Perth, Western Australia

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Strengths:    Hayes Discs when they work and not being re-bled so often.
Cheap as - Thanks Dell. Cranks, Rims, SID shocks, componentry more than adequate, Good all round bike - I call it the happy medium, ride it all day up and downhill. No pushing a big heavy rig up hills.

Weaknesses:    Hayes, numberous problems with re-bleeding required sooo many times its not funny, brake fail, etc, etc, pads replaced x2 in 10 months.
FRAME REPLACED AFTER 10 MONTHS OF OWNING THIS BIKE- WELD CRACKS around rear shock pivots, GIANTS BACKUP SERVICE IS COMPLETE AND UTTER S**** HERE IN OZ- now more than 2 months waiting and still waiting - NO THANKS VERY MUCH GIANT, no thanks ill be going elsewhere in future. You wait a week for a car to be replaced/repaired with an insurance company, whats going on guys???
Frame creaks, Broken spokes++++, bike never raced.
I'd probably give it 5 lemons but 4 chilles when it was new and running perfectly.

Bottom Line:
Go elsewhere, cause their(giants) service is cr**, bike rides well though, and I was happy b4 this all happened, you dont pay $3000 AUS for a bike and have it sit in the shop. Go a new craftworks FR due for release soon. How am I going to offload this bike to some unsuspecting buyer with the front half of the frame in different colours compared to the rear?

Favorite Trail:   Perth

Purchased At:   Wembley Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Avanti Moto, Giant 870, Trek 8500, SantaCruz Heckler,

Bike Setup:   Stock, but it needs a Psylo or SID100 on the front with riser bars and a short stem for it to be a better play bike, if I did this they probably wouldn't cover it under warranty anyways for some unforseen reason. I'm not having a go at Giant - just telling you how it is.

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from jonesville, Vermont, USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Strengths:    One of the sickest full suspension designs I've seen yet, no weak y frame here! and the hayes give you all the stopping power you will ever need.

Weaknesses:    Bike creeks and squeeks alot, hopefully it sjust my forgetfullness in getting it tuned instead of a possible frame brake. The big fat AL tubes allow for easy dents..Just got a good one last weekend.

Bottom Line:
This bike has the uncanny ability to deliver performance no matter what your riding..adjust the dampinging on the rear and go hell bent on through the xc, adjust it again and your ready to tackle the DH. awesome handling and quality componentry make this bike a real sweet ride

Favorite Trail:   Gas Can, Randolph VT

Purchased At:   Alpine Shop

Similar Products Used:   X hardtail rider

Bike Setup:   Stock...been paying more attention to my cars needs then the bike unfortunately

Submitted by Russell Lachow a Cross Country Rider from Long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2001

Strengths:    Incredable value for the money. Reasonable weight. Very good selection of components.

Weaknesses:    Rear suspension very stiff when set properly for heavy riders.

Bottom Line:
Bike is a five plus on value, but a zero or five for performance. Need help.

Purchased bike late last season (as a beginning rider) and ran lower than specified pressure (body weight plus 10 - 20 pounds) in the positive chamber for a softer ride. Am much more experienced and faster now and have set positive chamber correctly (210 plus 10 to 20) for not bob. Problem is not enough rebound control with adjuster one last click from full on. Full on makes the rebound over one second. One click back from full on leaves me with a bucking bronco. Bike is not rideable at speed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Favorite Trail:   Cathedral Pines

Purchased At:   Carl Hart Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   First bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Raceface XY seatpost.

Submitted by Terry Baudoin a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2001

Strengths:    Ability to bridge the gap between a hardtail and a quality full suspension bike. Climbs better than my Specialized M2 hardtail. Light and fast.

Weaknesses:    None yet, but I specified a custom build.

Bottom Line:
Best all around I have ridden on my home trails.

Favorite Trail:   Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Cycle 360

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Where to start? xtr all around (except for cogs and front derailleur), including v-brakes. Easton EA70 bar, Thompson elite seat post, Salsa Bar ends, Spinergy Xyclones.. 24.5 lbs.

Submitted by J. Roger a Weekend Warrior from OKC,OK

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    Hayes discs are great, the same everytime you brake. NSR system just as described if set up right, no sag. Price.

Weaknesses:    Frame. I snapped my frame at the seat tube, no big jumps or bomb drop offs, just what I consider regular mtb riding. Giant will replace the frame but I'm stuck with the labor cost of the change over. Yeah, I get a new frame but I'm out 70 bucks through no fault of my own. I had lots of creeks and squeeks before the break, so be careful.

Bottom Line:
I loved the bike before the frame broke, great performance, no sag if set up right, great stopping power, good climber although a little heavy. Excellent value. Poor customer service.

Favorite Trail:   Draper

Purchased At:   budget bicycles (not recomended)

Bike Setup:   Stock except different tires.

Submitted by Tim aka RawDogg Farris a Weekend Warrior from San Mateo, Ca.

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2001

Strengths:    Rigid Ride. Absolutely no bounce when sprinting (except the front end which is expected). No bounce uphill what so ever. Killer stopping power with the Hayes Hydraulic Discs. Very light - Color scheme is cool and even more so if you change the tire to ones with yellow trim. Would like to change to monkey lite handle bars & seat post to make it even lighter.

Weaknesses:    Rock Shox Sid XC Shocks were a bit hard to setup. Shock manual contradicts the bike manual on setting up the proper pressure and sag. I went with the shock manual, and the ride is nice.

Bottom Line:
I'm a big guy and as light as this bike is it very strong. I've yet to break anything on it. I can't thank Giant enough for producing such an outstanding product.

Favorite Trail:   Champion - Snake - Mission Peak - Waterdog lake...any one of those.

Purchased At:   Pacific Bike in San Mateo

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar, Marin B-17.

Bike Setup:   Stock from Giant.

Submitted by Rod C. a Cross Country Rider from Long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2001

Strengths:    Climbs better then my Carbon Fiber hardtail. Bob free ride.
Time pedals. Rock Shock Sid XC fork. Hayes hydrolic disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    None so far!

Bottom Line:
Bike is all that the advertising and magazine reviews claim. Great climber, love the disc brakes.
For the money, there was nothing else on the market in this price range with such a set up.
I was concerned about the weight of the bike since I was used to a light hardtail, however, it climbs better. I made it up hills that I couldn't on the hardtail! I guess weight is not the sole facter in a bikes climbing ability and ride.
Buy it if you want a great FS/XC racer under $2000.

Favorite Trail:   Saxon Woods

Purchased At:   Bicycle Planet, Syosset, NY

Bike Setup:   As is out of box.

Submitted by Keith from Newbury park, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Strengths:    real XC rideability without sacrificing all strength to the weight Gods

Weaknesses:    lack of prestige name, realtively rigid ride

Bottom Line:
I weigh 210, and am not interested in timing my rides or monitering heart rates, but I also have to ride several miles to get to any fun DH or play areas. The NRS works entirely as advertised; miles are covered with a lot less fatigue than I was used to. I set up the rear shock a little differently that Giant recommends; 210 in the top, 150 in the bottom. Essentially no sag, little risk of bottoming, but more plush than the 50 psi in the bottom that the call for. Bottoming could be an issue with less pressure in the top; I've noticed that the 2001 model has a much beefier shock mount. I'm guessing they've replaced a few frames. (I've seen a couple of minor frame issues handled by Giant with all new frames-not bad.) With this setup, jumps and downhills are much more fun that on any other XC bike I've ridden. Plus, there's a real set tube, so you can drop the saddle for downhill riding. What a concept.

To date, I've never experienced the creaks and noises that a few others have. I had another Giant model that popped and creaked a lot, though; turned out to be the seatpost adaptor, so now I use fat seatposts that don't need one.

Purchased At:   Michael's Bicyles, Newbury Park

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Raven, Various other Giants

Bike Setup:   Marzochi Z1 CR fork, XT/XTR drivertrain, SID shock, Hayes hydraulics, etc. Built from frame rather than buying complete bike.

Submitted by Dennis Lo a Weekend Warrior from Hsinchu, Taiwan

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Strengths:    ( I bought a 2001 Giant NRS XTC 2)Great NRS Design (no-bob), Great Appearance, works well in milder freeriding and works extremely well in cross-country riding,

Weaknesses:    Mud and Sand easily gets inside bicycle frame, Easy to scratch or dent, a little heavy (OK for a full-suspension bike), otherwise works PERFECTO.

Bottom Line:
I really recommend this bike to anyone who does lots of cross country riding, some mild freeriding and downhills. The NRS system really does work. But, if you do lots of big drops or freeriding stuff, the travel bottoms out easily. If you're like me, occassionally doing some freeriding, but mostly riding cross-country and scenic places, you'll love this bike. And, since I live in Taiwan, this is the cheapest performance mountain bike you can buy. Other bikes such as Cannondale or Sepcialized or imported, so are extremely expensive. I bought mine for only $1064 dollars. Really really worth the money

Favorite Trail:   18-Peak Mountain Freeride Trails

Purchased At:   "Jordan" Hsinchu Giant Store

Similar Products Used:   This bike is a 2001 Giant NRS XTC 2. I rode a 2000 Giant NRS DS 1 before, Giant ATX 1200 (Giant's 1998 downhilll racer)

Bike Setup:   stock, except for Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires, Azonic ORC stem, a Look gell seat, Raceface riser bar, and that's about it

Submitted by EVAN a Weekend Warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2001

Strengths:    COMPONENT SELECTION, SUSPENSION HANDLING, WEIGHT

Weaknesses:    NONE SO FAR

Bottom Line:
HANDLES LIKE A DREAM. I HAVE AN NRS1 2001,WITH MENTIONED MODS THIS BIKE IS ROCK SOLID. CLIMBS MUCH BETTER THAN MY MANTRA DID AND WEIGHS LESS. BEST BIKE FOR THE MONEY BY FAR. FREERIDE, URBAN ASSAULT, OR X-COUNTRY. JUST GET ON IT AND PEDAL!

Price Paid:    $1950.00