Giant 2000 Warp DS2 Full Suspension Bike

3.91/5 (58 Reviews)

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by Dusty a Weekend Warrior from red deer

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2002

Strengths:    back shock,frame so far,handelbars,wheels,brakes ect

Weaknesses:    seat is harsh, front shocks lick a$$, rims bad bad!!! had to replace in one month twisted both doing drops,

Bottom Line:
the bike kicks a$$ but u will find out the limits of the bike in a few weeeks con to the front shocks they suck. bought the bike and im pleased has no problems with 6 foot to flat and still rising good for north shore shi* awsome bike!!! giants kick as$

Purchased At:   (can) ?

Bike Setup:   all stock exept for ryhino rims

Submitted by Rich Miller a Weekend Warrior from Montesano, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2002

Strengths:    Great full suspension for the money. Just now after a year finding the limitations of the front shock.

Weaknesses:    Low end Judy, stock pedals, and bend way over water bottle mount.

Bottom Line:
Reasonably priced full-suspension bike got me off the roads and into the single track. Will upgrade front shocks, pedals and seat a second time this winter. Very happy with my choice. If you broke the frame on this bike you were hucking on a bike that was not built for it. I crash at least six times a week and it never ceases to amaze me how well the bike has held up.

Favorite Trail:   Silvia Ridge Loop

Purchased At:   Bitar's in Hoquiam

Bike Setup:   Stock with aftermarket egeronomic seat.

Submitted by D Ray from Austin, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2002

Strengths:    Components: Changed out pedals and quick reless.

Weaknesses:    After 2 years and 4 months the frame broke at the pivot point
on the rear triangle.

Bottom Line:
After reading other reviews on the DS2 Warp I would have to agree that this bike was not made for everyday use. Spend the extra $$$$ and get something that will stand up to the wear and tear of downhill and freeride. I will never purchase
another GIANT.

Favorite Trail:   Green Belt

Purchased At:   $700.00

Submitted by Renzo Duijn a Cross Country Rider from Alkmaar. Netherlands

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Strengths:    For about 2 years it has been a great bike. The suspension was OK.

Weaknesses:    Unfortunuatly, after 2 years the frame broke. I mean talking about weakness!!

Bottom Line:
A perfect bike for someone who rides every weekend. Not every day! I don't trust the frame.
Especcially not for downhillers.

Purchased At:   bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   None, going to buy Giant Xtc NRS 950

Bike Setup:   SRAM 3.0, Suntour front suspension, Giant rear suspension

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from marysville,WA usa

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2001

Strengths:    good tires, good grips, shifters, rear suspension, pedals,

Weaknesses:    the f*cking jetts suck my sh*t filled a**

Bottom Line:
bike kicks butt, whole bike positioned perfect, handlebars and eveything. rear suspension is great, the front sux! if you have money to buy the bike, save up more and get rid of the sh*ty jetts!!!! i cant stand those things! i did traling and hard urban assault. dropping 8 stairs and riding off ledges taller than me. bike stood up fair to that but one time i did a 9 stair i snapped the deraulur piece of and bottomed the heck out of the jetts. works fine for just trailing though, great bike for price. but o would suggest something better for urban assualts.

Favorite Trail:   jap gulch

Purchased At:   bike centers

Similar Products Used:   not really

Bike Setup:   same as when bought, not a lot of money to buy more stuff, only 14 years old and paid evey penny.

Submitted by Gabe a Weekend Warrior from Cranford, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2001

Strengths:    In it's price range ($500), nothing can touch it..in fact, nothing exists! Of course, I'm discounting sub-standard bikes that you can purchase at Kmart and Toys R Us. Look at the components on this thing...Deore for one. I was surprised that this bike weighed only 1.9 lbs. more than my previous bike (Giant Rincon SE, a hardtail), which I loved and reluctantly traded in for this one.

Weaknesses:    I guess the front fork could use a little bit more travel and stiffness to match the almost-bottomless rear suspension. Tires excel in hardpack/gravel/mud but are loud and rought for street, but what do you expect?

Bottom Line:
The best value in an entry-level full-suspension bike. Will go down stairs, tight steep rocky singletrack, just about anything. Ascends beautifully, thanks to FS and Tyrannoraptors. Kudos to Giant!

Favorite Trail:   Patriot's Path, Kilmer Reserve

Purchased At:   Cranford Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Raven (wow, but a BIT too pricey for me), GT I-Drive 6.0 (at least $100 more).

Bike Setup:   Stock. Added Zephyr bell and pump, Cateye headlight, RhodeGear pack w/spare tube.

Submitted by brandon w a Weekend Warrior from raymond

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    frame, shifters, derailers,easy for big guys to ride. meduim frame runs a 23.4 inche top tube

Weaknesses:    cranks wheels tires handle bars front brakes

Bottom Line:
this is a pretty good bike with a couple of up grades. i upgraded the wheels tires forks bars cranks and grips. it rides smooth and has enough travel for freeride and xc. i am a big guy that rides hard and have jumped the hell out of the bike and it still goes hard.

Favorite Trail:   norms trails

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   98 DS1 $HITY, CANNONDALE RAVE

Bike Setup:   ROCKSHOX DHO, TITEC HELLBENT, MAMMOTH ON LX HUBS, IRC MUDMAD TIRES, TRUVATIV CRANKS

Submitted by Frederic Falardeau a Downhiller from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Strengths:    Looks nice!

Weaknesses:    Everything (see older reviews)

Bottom Line:
One lucky b*stard successfully stole my bike!
I now own a Balfa Minute Man (hardtail bike). This bike is worth a fortune, more than my little honda civic ;-) I got addicted to urban assault and the giant was not the right bike for it.

About the race face crank, It got bent!!!
I can't afford all this but I still do it. I'm addicted!

Favorite Trail:   Urban Assault all the way!!!

Bike Setup:   see before

Submitted by matt a Downhiller from seminole, fl, USA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2001

Strengths:    sleek shape, components, shifters, good gearation and balance

Weaknesses:    seat! derailuer slap chip the paint alllll over, even with a cover

Bottom Line:
its not a rocky mountain but its a good beginer bike for a small investment

Purchased At:   Bicycle Outfitters

Bike Setup:   stock, Mosh peddals

Submitted by willy a Downhiller from a place with sweet trails, canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I broke a few of these frames and Giant was really good about it- no questions asked, they gave me a new frame wevery time. this last time i cracked the frame, they upgraded me to a giant xcx ds-1 frame from last year. i was kind of skeptical about the sid rear air shock but so far it has been plush and consistent

Purchased At:   summit cycle

Submitted by pablo guillen a Racer from guatemala, guatemala

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Strengths:    tough bike, a bike for everyone

Weaknesses:    the fork is just not enough

Bottom Line:
I like to ride and right now I´m doing 5th on the national championship in my country and it is because of this bike.This is a really nice bike you can do almoust anything with it. You can climb and do some downhill too, ´cause it is a lite bike and tough on downhills. I´ve really ponished it and it has responded to me really well. So what I have to say is that I ride hard and this bike helps me do it better.

Favorite Trail:   cross country

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS-1 ´99

Bike Setup:   clipless+new fork

Submitted by YR a Weekend Warrior from Israel

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2001

Strengths:    Look, price, components (for the price),ride quality.

Weaknesses:    The seat (at the risk of sounding conservative I admit that my sexsual tendencies are more traditional than what Giant had in mind for me when they put that nutcracker on the bike), water bottle location, a bit too squeeky.

Bottom Line:
This is the cheapest FS bike I could get in Israel (other than some no-name bike). I got it originally in order to have some family outing and maybe a bit of exercise. I ended
up liking it so much that I often do freeride and
a daily ride is a must nowdays... The bike just let you do way more than I expected - so I just follow the chalanges.
It is a great entry level bike that I will not outgrow too fast. The bike is very stable and bailed me out few times
from a sure visit to the local clinic. Off course I want better components but as long as they don't come free I'll
keep these until they break and then we'll see. The last
sentence is what make me give it 5 flaming turds...

Similar Products Used:   Rockhopper FSR, DB Topanga hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Factory + clipless + Serfas Rx saddle

Submitted by sludge guppy from Canberra

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Strengths:    value for money...fantastic!!

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This bike is perfect for everything from commuting to hitting the country trails on weekends. Only an idiot would expect a full on downhill racer for this price. If your a recreational rider who likes the comfort of a dual shock then this is your bike. Look after the bike, ride it within it's capabilities, and you've got yourself an awesome bike.

Bike Setup:   factory

Submitted by joe morris a Weekend Warrior from cleveland,ohio

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2001

Strengths:    i like

Weaknesses:    compon.

Bottom Line:
PEOPLE KEEP #ITCHING ABOUT THIS BIKE. IF YOU KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO GO BIG. YOU SHOULD OF SAVED A LITTLE MORE MONEY AND BOUGHT THE RIGHT BIKE FOR YOU . THIS BIKE ROCKS. IT DOES WHAT YOU WANT WHEN YOU WANT IT TO. JUST BECAUSE YOU TRY STUPID STUFF ON A BIKE THAT YOU KNOW CANT HADLE IT, DONT DOG THE BIKE MAN. THE WEIGHT IS NOT THAT BAD, LIFT SOME WEIGHTS AND YOU SHOULDNT HAVE A PROBLEM.I MEAN DID YOU NOT LIFT IT BEFORE YOU BOUGHT IT ,DID YOU NOT LOOK AT THE COMP. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND I WOULD SAY YOU GET YOUR MONEYS WORTH.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   martys bike shop

Bike Setup:   factory

Submitted by Bawdo a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap
Cool Paint
Gears

Weaknesses:    My FRAME CRACKED IN $ MONTHS!
Jetts could have a bit more travel.

Bottom Line:
This bike is good though am a bit dissapointed with my frame cracking from hardly any abuse in that amount of time. Although l got a new ds1 frame which is cool. l still like this bike alot though. Just hope this frame don't crack!

Similar Products Used:   99 mongoose 8.1, 99 giant warp ds2, 2001 Norco vps dh team(plush!!!), 2000 mongoose 8.0, 99 giant 860, 2000 Iron horse g-out

Bike Setup:   Stock except for DMR V8 pedals, Tioga Factory DH tires, Profile tomac handlebars, titec seat and a new 2000 ds1 frame.