Giant 2000 Warp DS1 Full Suspension Bike

4.13/5 (67 Reviews)

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 2.5"-4.0" adjustable travel fork

Submitted by Paul D. Hall

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2013

Strengths:    Tough, comfortable and great value (dual suspension and disc brakes for less than $1k)

Weaknesses:    heavy, stiff suspension and mechanical brakes (cables stretch during intense rides reducing braking capability)

Bottom Line:
This bike was exactly what I was looking for and was under budget (dual suspension and disc brakes). I upgraded the rear shock to Fox Racing and replaced the mechanical brake system with Hayes hydraulic disc brakes and lines. Result is amazing, still a bit heavy, but this bike made it through a week of torture at Whistler. That includes the "Bone Yard" and "Dirt Merchant"!!!!

Submitted by jake a Downhiller from naniamo b.c.

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2004

Strengths:    frame and rims

Weaknesses:    breaks and shocks

Bottom Line:
kick ass bike!!!!!
i have abused this bike on so many rides
i took it off a 12 foot drop last month no problem!
never had any big problems with it
but the judy shocks need an upgrade!
other than that awesome bike!
grat downhill/bigginer bike!
my biggiest drop was on this bike 18 feet!
GOOD JOB GIANT!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   husler on mt. washington

Purchased At:   west shore bikes

Bike Setup:   kujo dh 2.35 tires
radicol handlebars dh

Submitted by David Shue a Downhiller from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2002

Strengths:    Value. decent bike to thrash good x country bike u can do jumps and drops on. Decent all rounder

Weaknesses:    i go the 2000 model im 13, brakes unreliable, shocks need stiffer spring rate, snapped the rear deralia drop out, broke deralier. got an Lx. Ive got a very squeky headset and BB, i think its gona snap!! Does the warranty cover that:? Email me if u know

Bottom Line:
Im about 95 lbs, im 13 iv done 8 footers and bottem out the front and rear shock. I hate the squeky headset and BB.
Good bike to ride. I race yes race cross country (as little as possible) Do lots of jumps, from 4 to 8 foot drops, do fitness training on it and ride it to school every day.
NIce work giant

Favorite Trail:   Ur ass

Purchased At:   Pedal pushers !!!!

Similar Products Used:   Kona stinky deelux Big hit Santa cruz v 10

Bike Setup:   dh stem azonic, lx rear d, dmr v12 platform peds (rock), maxxis high rollers(rock)

Submitted by Mountain Goat a Downhiller from Sydney

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    Um,,,,,,,,,cant think of any!

Weaknesses:    Same old story,,,,,,frame snapped on swing arm just above weld and cracks developed on main frame.

Bottom Line:
The bike is a good for a freereide beginner but if you want to start doing a few 3 foot + drops than this thing is not going to last. The rear end flex's like a rubber band.
Couldnt get warranty because I had to change components eg, front fork.

Favorite Trail:   The Natio's

Purchased At:   Some crap shop!

Similar Products Used:   Huffy!

Bike Setup:   Had to change everything within first year.

Submitted by Manimal a Weekend Warrior from Seattle WA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2002

Strengths:    Dead reliable-Soaks up punishment-!!PRICE!!

Weaknesses:    Brakes and Shock

Bottom Line:
This is my 3rd straight summer of pounding on this bike and *FOR THE PRICE*, it simply can not be beat-The money I saved on the initial purchase let me upgrade the only two weaknesses that this bike has and I ended up with a ride that I can't fault-I let many people ride it and everyone has the exact same comment "SMOOTH"-Don't believe any of the people slagging this bike off bcz they ALL eventually do mention the awesome warranty service (5yr warranty on the frame alone) that they got from Giant when/if the bike failed (look at the prev review, the bike ddnt even fail and they replaced the guys frame!)-How many other bike manufacturers stand behind their products with 'no questions asked', complete replacements of frames, brakes and shocks?? NONE! Don't get me wrong, this bike IS built down to a price but it's a pretty attractive price (the DS2 and DS3 are even cheaper but have the same frame) and the components really are very good for the money that you're paying-Anyway, if you don't like what you've got, at least you aren't flat broke from the initial purchase and you can just get what you want when you upgrade-I spent $300 on replacing the brakes and shock and now it's only regular maint expenses left to deal with (tires/chain/etc)-It's a great bike for beginners or intermediates that do XC, urban or free riding and even some light DH-This bike is the swiss army knife of bikes-It does it all and hasn't let me down even once since I bought it-I still even have the OE wheels on it-My message to all of the 220+ pound riders on these sites that whine about product failures is to LOSE SOME WEIGHT and stop crying about all the equipment that you break-The answer to your problems is no further away than the digits on the scale in your bathroom-Quit blaming the equipment manufacturers and start noticing the garbage that you knowingly push into your pie hole every morning, noon and night-I can't help but wonder how cheap these bikes could really be if Giant didn't have to constantly be replacing stuff that wilted under your immense bulk??Giant bikes rule!! Five flamin chili's for value and over all performance, without a doubt.

Favorite Trail:   Tolt MacDonald

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR's-Gary Fisher Sugar (a $4000 bike-ouch!)-K2 Animal

Bike Setup:   Shimano Deore XT hydraulic disc brakes-170mm Cane Creek AD-10 rear shock-30.8mm seatpost (eliminates creaking from the OE shimmed 27.2 mm post)-shorty DH stem-lockjaw grips-OE Judy Hydracoil fork @ 100mm travel-Kenda Kinetics 2.35's

Submitted by Ray a Weekend Warrior from Melb, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
Giant Came through on the warranty. They said that it wasnt really a crack, but they gave me a new fame anyways, 2002 DS2 frame at that.

Go Giant

Submitted by Ray a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2001

Strengths:    Great looking bike, Smooth ride, weight,

Weaknesses:    The judys could do with a higher rate spring, front disc a bit squealy, FRAME CRACKED AT THE REAR SHOCK MOUNT ON MY 3rd RIDE.

Bottom Line:
Great bike execpt for the weak frame. I have only had the bike for about 2 or 3 months and it has never been bashed about. After my 3rd ride, on only mild XC the rear shock mount weld has started cracking.
Hopefully Giant will follow through with the warranty. I will let you know.
Great bike for the price, but really, really annoyed about the frame!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Anything Off Road

Purchased At:   Private, Pretty much new

Bike Setup:   All factory execpt for clip in pedals

Submitted by Gwyn Evans a Downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2001

Strengths:    Not a lot when i baught it. It looked good with the triple crown forks and rear suspension. The frame is sturdy good tyres.

Weaknesses:    The pedals (toe clips), forks (sr suntour triple clamps), wheels (formula on alexrims),brakes (formula md 1 mechanical, half pipe shifters

Bottom Line:
The bike looks good at first and when you first experience it, it gets better. however, after a while the brakes start to squeek the wheels feel weak and the forks need a lot of servicing when the money just isn't worth spending. Upgrade on the frame and then finally upgrade the frame. After all this you've finally got a bike worth shouting about.

Favorite Trail:   Rivington Pike

Purchased At:   Northern Exposure

Similar Products Used:   99 specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   27 speed 2001 junior t's racelines 24/7 bar/stem specialized clipless pedals tioga tires xt on d521 xtr rear mech deore shifters

Submitted by Andrew Sulu a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2001

Strengths:    Loyal, dependable.

Weaknesses:    Blind faith.

Bottom Line:
I am your Giant Warp DS1. You complain about my braking ability and my weak frame. Well, Let me tell you a few things. I am a relatively light bike- because thats what you want. I am very strong for my weight, however, when your chalupa scarfing, hefeweizen sucking, non exercising for days on end blobbiness gets on me- I get a little stressed. Then, to top it off you smash me around with very little or no technique. You get on me, run me down hills and lock the brake levers, I want to stop, really I do. It's just a little hard with all that mass you've loaded on me pushing against my best efforts. Then, when you careen me off a four foot drop onto a hard flat surface or when you make a mistake and overshoot a corner- ramming me into a tree, you complain that I break? What do you expect? Before you convict me of being inferior why don't you consider taking a few simple steps to help me help you. Learn to ride and lose some weight. Fatazz.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mtn.

Purchased At:   local shop

Submitted by Max a Weekend Warrior from Northeast Pa. USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Strengths:    Price, Hayes Mech. discs.

Weaknesses:    Bottom Bracket, Frame is too Flexy, pedals.

Bottom Line:
This bike is the 2001. Am upgrading ASAP the pedals to clipless, the cranks/ chain rings and the BB. Giant is replacing the BB as it has been unfixable (LBS) noisy and clicking from day one. The front brake had to be adjusted with a few washers to get the whole unit to line up correctly. I love the brakes now. I weigh 210 and the bike is a joy to ride otherwise. I ride hard enough but not severe(no big drops)This is my first full suspension and I am generally pleased. The bike climbs better than anticipated and coming down is amazing. I recommend for those on a budget but jonesing for full suspension, I do plan to upgrade component by component as budget allows and skills require. I would not recommend for those that are severe riders. But for me it works well.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   All stock.

Submitted by crazy Tom a Weekend Warrior from Kamloops

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    somewhat ridable, red paint, fork feels great, doesnt cost as much as a car!

Weaknesses:    the rear shock, those #%$@ fomula brakes!,

Bottom Line:
If you are at all a off road rider look else where I have broken two frames (one being a manufaters defect) and have blown 3 shocks ( a new shock comes with the frame)

Favorite Trail:   Gords trail

Purchased At:    LBS

Similar Products Used:   tested a VPS-4 no comparison

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock, put a envy rock ring on and took those stupid toe clips off!

Submitted by AL a Weekend Warrior from Chico, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Strengths:    Good value. Decent components for the price. Hayes mech disk brakes, Marzocci z.5, 2.5 inch tires, comes with a pretty beefy rear spring. SRAM cassette and rear der. work good.

Weaknesses:    weight, SRAM half-pipes.

Bottom Line:
This is the 2001 DS1. This bike is a lot of fun to ride. I ride most anywhere, dirt roads, trails and single tracks. I am just a beginner, but this bike has been problem free and easy to work on. The hayes brakes stick like glue once they break in. The rear shock has a lot of adjustability, I have it preloaded about 1/2 inch and it is plenty stiff. The dampener is not there for looks, it performs well.

Favorite Trail:   Live Oak

Purchased At:   The Bicycle shop (Paradise)