Giant 1999 XtC DS2 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Giant XtC DS2, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou SX E fork

Submitted by Steven a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Strengths:    Light, good geometry, good pivot construction

Weaknesses:    Frame dents easily & eventually cracks apart

Bottom Line:
This is predominantly a review for the frame only. All the components were upgraded anyway, so there's no point in a bike review.
The frame served me reasonably well for a couple of years until it cracked at the top tube/seat tube junction.
Up until then, it was a reasonably stiff, reasonably plush (particularly with the DNM ST-12RC rear shock) but frighteningly easily dented frame (monster dents in the downtube from accidents and rocks being thrown up from the trail).
It was the catalyst for the mountain biking bug biting, but I've now realised that there are many better designs out there...hence my NRS purchase.
BTW - fit downtube protection (a section of 60mm diameter plastic pipe will do) to prevent chips & dents...I suspect any of the new-breed super-thin-wall frames are exposed to damage.

Favorite Trail:   6 Foot Track - Blue Mountains

Purchased At:   Second hand

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS, Santa Cruz Heckler, numerous hardtails

Bike Setup:   '02 Giant NRS, '02 Psylo XC, everything upgraded (XTR/XT/Titec/Sun Rhyno Lite, etc)

Submitted by John Kollar a Racer from Fairfield Ct

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Strengths:    Realy Light

Weaknesses:    Soft frame

Bottom Line:
Nasty Xc bike weighs 24 pounds. If you are a Xc racer and need full suspension this is the bike for you. I love this bike for Xc but not for free ride or Urban

Favorite Trail:   Urban

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel, Giant nrs, schwinn rocket

Bike Setup:   xtr front derailer, manitou, xtr casset, sram 9.0 rear derailer, fox vinilla float, titec hell bent, titec stem, awsome wheels, Richey clipless

Submitted by cody hildebrand a Weekend Warrior from ventura ca

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2001

Strengths:    The bike is great, light as ever, most of the components are great, sharp looking. The stock race ready bike for just about anyone under 200lbs.

Weaknesses:    The SX-E absolutly sucked, and the no rebound vanilla float sticks the bike to the ground. The breaks are sucide on the downhill.

Bottom Line:
The bike is great after a few upgrades, paid $600 used, and love the bike. the real weakness is the high center of gravity hinders the cornering. I would recommend this bike for anyone that would like to just ride or race, I raced it once, stock and it was great. The rear shock cant take much of a beating, you kinda got to baby it

Favorite Trail:   any goat trail

Purchased At:   Rays Bikes

Similar Products Used:   XTC DS2

Bike Setup:   Marzochi bombers 2.5, avids, Zac 19, Selle seat

Submitted by Peter Benifer a Downhiller from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2001

Strengths:    This is the lightest bike I have had the joy of owning. I goes like a rocket. Brakes are great at stopping.

Weaknesses:    Brakes squeel like a virgin on a Saturday night with my mate, Big John. Rear suspension diff to set up.

Bottom Line:
Almost the best ride Ive ever had.(well)
Great setup, good looks (vanity counts).

Favorite Trail:   Yarran Dheran

Bike Setup:   standard

Submitted by Alan Templeton a Cross Country Rider from Lawrenceville GA USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2001

Strengths:    Previous review

Weaknesses:    Thin walled frame. Be Careful!

Bottom Line:
After enjoying the bike for 2 years, our relationship came to an end last weekend. The top tube and the down tube snapped in two about three inches away from the steering tube. I didn't even crash. It just happened. Thanks to Giant and Roswell Bicycles, they are replacing the frame under warranty. Note that they have changed their policy from lifetime to five years on their aluminum frames. The frame is reeeally thin. This will be my last aluminum bike purchase. It was a great value, but I was always worried about the strength of the frame. I am looking forward to trying out the NRS Technology, I have read good things about it.

Purchased At:   Roswell Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Previous review

Bike Setup:   Previous review

Submitted by jimmy bunts a Weekend Warrior from ct

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2000

Strengths:    giant. sid. price. weight.

Weaknesses:    the derailuer hits against the drop-out anytime the bike hits a bump, thus chipping paint hardcore. damn engineers... i'm not much of a gearhead, so i don't know if the derailers' angle can be changed(in relation to the present d. hangers placement.) not so adjustable manitou & mad flexy. gave me a front tire on the rear. rapid fires slow and inaccurate- constant annoyance- not as much as the brakes- what a waste of time/money/materials. other than that: excellent.

Bottom Line:
good value. solid so far. climbs like a hardtail. it floats. i love it- even if i complain.

Favorite Trail:   all of 'em

Similar Products Used:   none- everything else sucks worse

Bike Setup:   presently stock- soon a shorter stem, team master rear tire, lighter seat post, hayes or magura, grip shift, race face b.b., chris king headset, i think that's it.

Submitted by Tim Ochoa a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, California

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2000

Strengths:    The frame is very light.

Weaknesses:    The color.

Bottom Line:
This bike is defenetly an upgrade from my diamondback. I have shaved 6 pounds off my last rig with this bike. That is six pounds I don't have to push up those mountains. Tha bike also climes like a hard tail, and that is less energy wasted. I also like the price it did not put a big dent on my wallet. I recomend this bike to any hard core rider and weekend worrior.

Favorite Trail:   Siera Azul, Mount Hamilton.

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback, GT.

Bike Setup:   Forks:RockShox Judy-XC dual crown, Brackes:Magura Hidro Brakes soon will install Hayes Disk Brakes.

Submitted by Barry Morgan a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio,Texas USA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2000

Weaknesses:    I buckled the top tube and down tube hitting a nasty hole going downhill without even bottoming out the front fork. Itsnow a wall decoration along with my other busted parts.
Tires need to be beefier.Brakes are no good.

Bottom Line:
Would not recommend this frame, its just too thin and easy for anyone to bend especially if you have any dings in the down tube.

Similar Products Used:   Giant Team 990

Bike Setup:   All stock

Submitted by Gerald a Cross-Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 1999

Strengths:
Light (for a dualie)
Very little suspension bob
Excellent value

Weaknesses:
Cheapo brakes (replace ASAP if you value your life!!!)

Bottom Line:
This is a very plush bike, feels like it has more than 3 inches of travel-mainly due to an awesome air shock and bearing pivots. The components are worthy for trail abuse, except the brakes. Delivers a solid and fun ride, so much so that I prefer this bike over my hardtail(Trek 8900).

anything technical

3 months

Specialized FSr
GT LTS
Ellsworth Truth

Stock, with the exception of Avid Arch rival 50 brakes

Submitted by Tim Sanders a Weekend Warrior from Palm Desert, CA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 1999

Strengths:
Frame, Lightness

Weaknesses:
None yet
However some say that the shock leaks

Bottom Line:
Just bought this bike. I love it. Good bike for the $$$ I got it for $1049.00 with upgrades and tax it was out the door for $1185.00. I think it was the best bike for me in my price range. It's step-sister hardtail is the Bike of the year. I know the componets frame, and front shock are awesome. Let's just hope the rear shock holds up. My first full-suspension. I will review later if needed.

Jedi, Loma Linda

Specialized
Trek
Schwinn

Switched WTB rims and STX-RC hubs for MAvic rims and XT hubs
Avocet 35 Computer
Switched WTB seat with a WTB ti rails seat with kevlar

Submitted by Neb Beldar a Weekend Warrior from Bala Cynwyd PA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
This bike is way to extreme...I only like Conservative things (like my 2 camry's) The color is not chrome and it has outrageous parts. Who needs to ride fast when you can ride conservative?

Valley Green

My camry
My friends ATX860

Submitted by Mustin Lestler a Weekend Warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 1999

Strengths:
Everything..ummm TOO GOOD

Weaknesses:
absolutley none [tooo good]

Bottom Line:
This bike is toooooo gooooood and if i catch you on it i'll smash you. PB & J all the way!!!!

VG

6 months

Fisher Joshua
Jamis
Giant

Too Good

Submitted by mat a Cross-Country Rider from quebec

Date Reviewed: May 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
i love this bike. it's my first FS and i researched them all in the price range (atx 970) and it wins in the balance. handles great and sokes it up just right with minimal biopace. this one comes with LX/STX-RC , judy c's and a DMR rear air shock. at first i thought it was overdamped but it came out perfect. and the frame is absolutly BEAUTIFUL (and the lightest production i think). best value in my opinion.

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Reynolds

Date Reviewed: May 9, 1999

Strengths:
This BIKE IS AMAZING!!!

Weaknesses:
nothing at all.

Bottom Line:
This bike is sooooo worth it for the money. I wish a had bought 2. I want to give it a 30 but i will stick with a 5!!!!!!

3 months

Trek Y, X-Caliber

Stock (too good)

Submitted by Alan Templeton a Cross-Country Rider from Lawrenceville,GA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 1999

Strengths:
This bike is light for a dualie at 25.5 pounds!
The frame has a lot of room for rear travel,and it climbs better than I expected.

Weaknesses:
Only weakness I can see is what is inherent with owning a full suspension bike, the extra weight and the energy lost in pedaling. I may not be enough rider for what this bike can do!

Bottom Line:
I rode alot of bikes before I bought this one. After riding it for just a short time I know I made the right choice. This bike is set up well for XC and flies downhill! Getting air is what this sport is all about in my book (see chapter 1 paragraph 2) and this bike flies!

Bull Mountain, Tatum Lead,Tsali

GT LTS,Trek Y, Pro Flex

I bought the frame seperate. I still don't think disc brakes are necessary for XC, so I bought the DS2 frame.It came with an Air Vanilla Float, not an Air Vanilla like it said in the catalogue. Full XT package, '98 Judy XC up front, Kore stem,handlebar and seatpost, Selle San Marco Raceday saddle,Cane Creek headset,Mavic 517 rims and IRC Mythos tires.