Giant 1999 MCM 990 Full Suspension Bike

Giant MCM 990

Submitted by Pedal-E a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2010

Strengths:    Eye catching design. Stiff, no bob and strong bushings. Climbs better than any bike I have ridden since 1996.

Weaknesses:    The factory 100mm shock set too steep a head angle. 120-140 is perfect. Discontinued parts.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding urban a lot and have been actively shopping for a replacement bike knowing mine will wear out but I have yet to find a better bike. My MCM990 can take 3'-4' drops, pedal up the most technical uphill and rip through the chatter. Amazing this thing keeps going after 14 years. Wish I could buy 2 more frames and build them light and heavy.

Favorite Trail:   Harbor Steps :-)

Purchased At:   Carticay Cycles (Nor

Similar Products Used:   Trek fuel 7, Yeti ASX, Marin Wildcat trail

Bike Setup:   Fox Float 32 RLC 120, Cain Creek AD10, Magura Judys, Brake Therapy, Magura Comp wheels, XT shifter and drive train.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2006

Strengths:    Beautiful frame. Stiff and strong, climbs and pedals SOOO well. Feels bulletproof. Can't believe I'm loving a frame of this age!

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any :)

Bottom Line:
I've had so many people tell me this frame was the ducks nuts (australian for bloody good) when it came out, and I believe it is still great. I just love riding this bike, it's great to ride and people notice it too. I get complete strangers wanting to talk all about it. Great fun. I was concerned about the pivots but it seems for no reason. If you can get one, grab it (just leave mine alone!)

Favorite Trail:   Mt Coot-tha and Daisy Hill

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Giants and Norcos of a few types

Bike Setup:   SRAM X-0 drivetrain, Bontranger Race Discs, Hayes brakes, Easton monkeylight bars and mg60 stem, Selle Italia saddle, RaceFace cranks and other bits

Submitted by Nick Hansen a Weekend Warrior from Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2001

Strengths:    It looks BEAUTIFUL...
It rides better than it looks !!!

Weaknesses:    Not super light... but it doesnt matter.

Bottom Line:
This bike is the BOMB!!
The other day I came off a 5ft drop off a little skew... on any other bike... I would have eaten mud... but not on the MCM.
I was very fortunate to snatch this frame from a loving previous owner. Thanks Mr. Keytel.....
To everybody out there.... if you can find one, give an offer. If your offer is rejected... STEAL IT!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Ferncliffe

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Trek VRX, Cannondale Super V, Trek Y5-0

Bike Setup:   RS Judy XLC triple clamps, Marin lite parts, shimano gearing.

Submitted by Geoff Goldsmith a Cross Country Rider from Sydney NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2001

Strengths:    Fantastic handling, climbs quickly, soaks up small bumps easily but does not bob. Excellent

Weaknesses:    None...

Bottom Line:
I would consider this bike best practise. Despite it's age it still seems to be able to blow away nearly everything I have seen or ridden. It handles like a dream, climbs like it's attached to a hot air balloon and bombs downhill with speed and precision. The only downside is that they are very difficult to come by these days with only a few frames still available. Anyone who is serious about riding XC quickly, wants a dualie and can find a frame should buy one now!!!

Favorite Trail:   Great North Road

Purchased At:   Windsor Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, GT I-drive

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT throughout, Psylo Race forks, Hugi hubs, Syncros ancillaries.

Submitted by royce volker a Cross Country Rider from onida,sd

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2000

Strengths:    great carbon frame,cushy suspension.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike for an entire season.The frame has heldup perfectly,and the pivots are still tight.I have spent a lot of money and time making this bike lighter.The parts group on it was OK but I have found shimano to be better components than shram

Favorite Trail:   centenial

Purchased At:   pedal & padle pierre sd

Similar Products Used:   cannondale raven,fischer hoo koo e koo,trek y frames

Bike Setup:   xtr-hubs,rear der,easton ct2 carbon bar and post,xt-shift/brake pods,brake levers,cranks,bb,fizik saddle,continental double fighters,

Submitted by Christian Forno a Cross Country Rider from Guatemala

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2000

Strengths:    The carbon frame is very nimble, it accelerates very well, it soaks up the bumps, even the small ones. I have no problem with the rear shock.

Weaknesses:    The only thing that I dont like is the squaking noise that the pivots make.

Bottom Line:
This bike rules, I have tried a lot of full suspensions and the Giant had no bob compared to the others, I had been looking for a long time on the internet for reviews, and all agree that this bike is the best, it rules. The perfect do anything bike. I love all Giant bikes.

Similar Products Used:   Parkpre Scepter Competition, Cannondale f-700, Giant Warp DS-1

Bike Setup:   Sram composite shifters, brake levers and rear dellariour, xt front shifter, Judy Sl up front, Selle Italia Tri matic saddle, wtb speedmaster rims, on giant inner tubes and Hutchinson python goldwall tires on.

Submitted by royce volker a Cross Country Rider from onida,sd,usa

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Strengths:    this bike is beautiful and at 1000 clams it was a steal

Weaknesses:    i dont like the wtb tires,it needs semi-slicks.also the xt front derailer must change to sram 9.0

Bottom Line:
for the average guy who does an epic ride once a month and a race now and then this bike rules! all the comforts of home.it gobbles up the little roller coaster ride at my local trail like butter ,judy butter that is.oh the coup delux in back is the only drawback to this rocket. i just cant believe im riding this dream machine and so far it is.if i didnt work in a shop i never could have afforded it .im sayin if you got the clams or work in a shop go for it, she wont let you down.

Favorite Trail:   centenial trail black hills

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher hoo koo ekoo whic is a great stablemate for my new one

Bike Setup:   sram 9.0 shifters,levers and derailer,xt front derailer,brakes,hubs and cranks.wtb saddle,and tires

Submitted by Sam from London UK

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2000

Strengths:    Great to ride
Great to look at

Weaknesses:    Needed a service even though it was new; nasty forks (RST Hi5)

Bottom Line:
It's great on trails, it's no problem going up and lovely for getting down.
Nice nice bike; If I had a choice I think I'd go for the frame and build up a bike a round it.
There are still some going cheap - just remember newer doesn't necessarily mean better - go get 'em.

Similar Products Used:   1st full sus; previous bike Kona AA

Bike Setup:   Pace EVOIII forks - yummy
Rock Shock Coupe deluxe rear
tons of unbranded kit with Shiman XT rapidfire

Submitted by Rich a Weekend Warrior from Tallahassee, FL

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2000

Strengths:    Stong strong strong!!!
Looks great!
Pivots are holding out fine.

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side once agian. Total weight I estimate to be around 27-28 lbs. More like a downhill rather than a XC, but still climbs hills better than my friends hardtail!

Bottom Line:
This is my second review and after abou5 4 months of riding this bike I'm never getting rid of it. Even with the crappy RS shock in the rear(which is about to be replaced with the Cane creek ad-10 in about a week) it was a kick ass frame. Now it's going to be even better once I replace the front rim, brake arch, and non-existant rear shock so I can ride it again. I had a little accident at the bmx track, all in all that did about $120 worth of damage to various things. The brake arch is $60 alone! Anywho, needed a new rim, and riding the trails with my friend, heard a tink then clunk clunk as i bottomed out the rear end. Turned out it was the shaft in the RS shock fell out of the fitting on the rebound adjuster side and hit it, popped the spring out and bent the shaft. So i've been without bike now for about 2 weeks and I cannot wait till i can ride it again. It is simply a wonderful bike to ride, better than any i've ever ridden and would not trade it for the world now. I'm working on trying to lighten up the bike by a pound or two. More of an ongoing project than a need. The bike is perfect and love it to death. If you have the opportunity to pick one of these up, I highly recommend it. You won't be sorry!

Favorite Trail:   Tom Brown once again!

Similar Products Used:   Nada

Bike Setup:   A little changed from my first review. Marzocchi Z4 alloy shock, Cane Creek AD-10 rear shock(RS suffered a horrible death) XTR brakes, XT drivetrain, Sun 0 degree XC up front/Sub IV in the rear with XT hubs, Kore/Ritchey everything else basically.

Submitted by Marty Schrader a Cross Country Rider from Wheaton, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2000

Strengths:    Carbon frame that is the best of everything. Rear suspension design that puts Specialized (and their durn patent) to shame.

Weaknesses:    RockShox stuff is kinda cheesy. Psycho-Ks are too heavy and too grabby.

Bottom Line:
This thing makes all kinds of terrain managable. The suspension can be adjusted all over the place, but it has never felt unstable or in any way out of control for me. Very tight, very predictable, very smooth. Why spend more for a Klein when I can go faster on this? Five big ones all the way for this bicycle.

Favorite Trail:   Knoch Knolls AssKicker®

Similar Products Used:   (tested only) Trek VRX, Gary Fisher Joshua

Bike Setup:   bone stock -- why play with it?

Submitted by Alan H a Cross Country Rider from NZ

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2000

Strengths:    Suspension design, quality of ride, quality of finish, brilliant frame.

Weaknesses:    Possibly suspension pivots, rockshox shocks

Bottom Line:
Real nice smooth ride compared to other fs. ridden, very little bob even when standing, looks great.
Sheared off on suspension pivot bolt (suspect man defect)which was replaced. Upgraded to speed springs in forks but would like to replace with Mazzochis and maybe a Fox rear when mine dies.

Favorite Trail:   RotoVegas

Similar Products Used:   Bauer f.s., Gary fisher f.s, cannondale f.s, K2 Oz.

Bike Setup:   i've the 980 which has Judy Xc forks, coupe deluxe rear, XT & LX groupset

Submitted by Rich a Weekend Warrior from Tallahassee, FL

Date Reviewed: October 13, 1999

Strengths:
Simply beautiful! Black monocoque mainframe with yellow alcalyte cu92 rear swingarm (what ever the hell that is).

Weaknesses:
Worried about the pivot points on the swingarm, there are 4 sets of them making up the rear end. A smidge on the heavy side too, I've been quoted just over 7 lbs, but well worth it for looks.

Bottom Line:
Well, this is my first review on this product. Based on asthetics, I love it so far. I am somewhat let down by the RS super delux rear shock that came with it, right out of the box it makes a squishing noise (based on reviews of RS and their customer service dept., I'll just junk it). I purchased the frame for $600 on the net, and have read reports that this bike in '97 with full XT components cost $3,250, with XT??? Guess I got a deal on it. I don't have a doubt in my mind that this bike will hold up longer than I will, but I am somewhat worried about the rear swingarm. It is made of 4 individual pieces with 8 individual contact points(looks good, trust me). However, seeing as this frame was manufactured in '97, I'm waiting on an instruction manual from Giant so I can service the pivot points just to be sure they haven't frozen up. I would not like spending all this money to go out on a trail the first time and snap the rear off or something. Assuming all goes well, I will continue to leave updates on here about this frame and it's ability to withstand my 235lb abuse I'm going to put it through. Should be interesting?!?! 5 burning Dodge Neon's for this awesome frame!!!

Tom Brown Park, Tally