Giant 1999 ATX DS Full Suspension Bike

1999 Giant ATX DS, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou X-Vert R fork

Submitted by lee cording a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2008

Strengths:    this bike will take anything you throw at it TOP BIKE!

Weaknesses:    the brakes stop the fun

Bottom Line:
if you get a chance get one they are fantastic

Similar Products Used:   loads

Bike Setup:   standard apart from rear shock changed to fox rc

Submitted by Brian a Downhiller from Denver

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Strengths:    Frame. The thing is bomb proof. I haven't had this bike very long, but I can tell you this, I also have a giant AC2, and that is supposed to be a freeride machine. well, i never considered it a flexy bike, but after taking my local drops on this, then on the AC2, it feels like a flexy over cooked noodle. 2nd the components. Race face cranks, stand up forever, the rock shox (normally I hate them) is way under rated. it performs very well, no, excellent. the fork, is out dated, but very stiff considering there is no through axle, and last but not least the rims. mavic hit a homerun with these double wide badasses. I can take a drop with 5 psi and there is a loud clank, but they are as true as can be.

Weaknesses:    the brakes, dear god the brakes. I was at plattekill, and had a real pain the ass stopping, I bounced off of a tree or so in the process. (I can't only blame the brakes, since my buddy was having trouble stopping with his hayes, and the ground was wet.) they are just inconsistant. first too hard, then too soft, not to mention the fact that the levers bounce around like they are attatched with staples.
I would also have to say that quick release all the way around the bike pose a stiffness issue, and the fork can be changed, but the rear end cant. (I honestly have noticed no flex if the rear end at all.)

Bottom Line:
This bike is fast, I now live in Pennsylvania, and there is nothing in this state that this bike cannot conquer. It pedals so much smoother then the new single pivot giant downhill, and the frame is way stiffer. I just don't see a reason for Giant doing away with this bike. It should have been available through them forever. oh well, I got mine. If you see one, bottom line go and GET IT!

Favorite Trail:   dakota ridge

Similar Products Used:   My giant AC2, The new giant downhiller (not as good) Lenzsport pro descender (my buddy races for the team) and a santa cruz bullit

Bike Setup:   first off, I replaced the brakes. I now have avid 8 inch mechanical brakes. JR T, king headset, high rollers 2.6, lx rear derraleur, and odi lockjaw grips. titec hellbent downhill bar. This is my dream bike

Submitted by BRIAN BIVENS a Downhiller from BENSALEM PA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2002

Strengths:    INDESTRUCTABLE FRAME GREAT RIMS DID I MENTION THE INDESTRUCTABLE FRAME?

Weaknesses:    THE BRAKES, THE STOCK FORK, THE REAR SHOCK (ONLY BECAUSE ITS A ROCK SHOX,IT DIDN'T FAIL ME IN A DAY OF DOWNHILLING AT PLATTEKILL.)

Bottom Line:
THIS BIKE IS FAST. MAYBE TOO FAST SOMETIMES. I HAD NEVER RIDDEN DOWNHILL UNTIL THIS WEEKEND, AND BY THE END OF THE DAY, I HAD NEVER HAD SO MUCH FUN IN MY LIFE. SCREAMS AROUND TURNS. IF YOU EVER SEE THIS BIKE, OR ANYOTHER ATX DOWNHILLER, GET IT. THE FRAME ALONE SHOULD COST MORE THEN I PAID FOR IT.

Favorite Trail:   PLATTEKILL

Purchased At:   SOME DUDES HOUSE

Similar Products Used:   GIANT AC2

Bike Setup:   MAVIC 321S, AVID MECHANICAL 8"DISCS, NEW jr T WITH 20 MM ADN SOON A FOX VANILLA RC REAR SHOCK.

Submitted by bradley werntz a Downhiller from falls village, ct, usa

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2001

Strengths:    varey good enginering and quolity. it is a grate bike for a free ride/dh rider i love this bike. you get all 6" of rear travle.+ it looks cool it terns heds

Weaknesses:    it came with a cuple week componints but the frame it self is a fabulis ride.

Bottom Line:
this is a grate bike for eney one that wants a dh but not the 8" rear. it is a killer bike

Favorite Trail:   plattekill, ny

Purchased At:   i got it from another rider

Similar Products Used:   6" rear dh bikes are simuller but this is the one you wont

Bike Setup:   i have a manitou x-vert dc(2000), hayes dh brakes, and rade face north share crank those are the three big up grades

Submitted by ben a Downhiller from melbourne

Date Reviewed: November 14, 1999

Strengths:
afordable price and excellent component mixture for the price

Weaknesses:
rear spring rate to soft and formula discs have a boiling problem

Bottom Line:
Excellent value for money but it won't match the intence.

buller downhill track

Hanebrink forks with hayes disc brake and Marzocchi Vr50 shock

Submitted by Shaums March a Downhiller from Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 20, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
this bike is not good. Get an ellsworth dare.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT buy this bike. Your wasting your money.

suicide dh @ mammoth

less than 1 month

mountain cycle, specialized, just about it all.

stock

Submitted by Matt a downhiller from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 12, 1999

Bottom Line:

The ATX-2 DH, as it is know here, is one great bike. The specification, and performance far exceed it’s price. I have had mine for two weeks now and have already competed successfully on it. It is incredibly plush and well balanced, yet it is not perfect. At the time of purchase, I was a little hesitant regarding the rear shock (a rock shox coupe deluxe); since I wasn’t prepared to spend more on my bike, I didn’t change it over. As yet, it hasn’t blown, and it is working quite well, however as most of these shocks, it makes a heap of different (and annoying) noises. The shock creaks, grinds, clicks and bugs the hell out of me and whoever is riding with me. My advice would be to swap the shock over to a Marzocchi Boss or a Fox Vanilla, they are definitely the most reliable and best performing. A friend has got the same bike, and from the time he wheeled it out of the shop, the rebound didn’t work whatsoever. The shock makes strange sucking noises on compression and then rebounds so slowly and noisily; and the adjusters just spin freely, -doing nothing. He is organising to put a Marzocchi c.50 shock which has a longer stroke to increase travel, as well as performance.
The X-Vert R forks are very good, not quite as smooth as the Bombers I have on my other bike (Kona U hu), yet still very effective. The rebound ‘TPC’ adjuster under the left leg fell off somewhere on the harsh downhills of Mt Buller in Victoria last week, however it still works fine. The compression and preload adjusters do effectively nothing though, compared to the huge range of adjustment on Bombers. I will hopefully be able to put some Monster T forks of the front by the end of this year, - I was watching them and talking to some current owners of them at the races, and they really are superb, nothing compares.
The only other imperfection with the ATX 2, as many Giants for 1999 is the formula brakes. They are powerful and generally well made discs, however they grind drag, and quite often squeal, - very annoying. It would have been nice if Giant had kept up with using Hope discs for this year. I bought the bike without the front disc, as I suspected there would be problems given the reviews I have read here and elsewhere. A Hope front disc is on my shopping list. The rear disc even has some problems now. The rotor wobbles in its mount, even thought the bolts are tight, this is not an isolated problem, however the formula representatives at the race last week said I may need to replace the disc if the problem gets any worse, -not very impressive! I therefore would recommend changing over to Hope dics, the number of elite riders who change their brakes from Maguras, formulas, Codas, Rock Shox, Pro stop, etc to Hopes does indicate how the top riders rate Hope brakes. Hayes are good, yet not quite there yet, since the rotors warp somewhat at high temperatures, among other flaws, however are still probably better than formula.
The rest of the bike is great; the Race Face cranks, AC chain guide, etc, all being very welcome. All in all, I do recommend this bike highly. By a few alterations, this bike could be truly awesome, and still cost far less than the ATX-1 and other equivalent bikes. The rear shock, and to a lesser extent the brakes, do detract somewhat overall, however the price more than adequately compensates. At the national races I was at recently, I saw a number of elite riders use them in standard spec or with upgraded forks, discs, and shock; just the changes it requires.
One serious recomendation for any current or prospective owner, - ensure all the bolts are down up tight, since some of the pivots on the rear were loose out of the box, and also bolts were missing from the rear disc mount! Even despite its flaws, it still deserves 5 chillies, since it blows everything else away on price (in Australia, at least)…