Gary Fisher 2000 Sugar 3 Full Suspension Bike

4.53/5 (149 Reviews)

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou SX, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by john_cda a Cross Country Rider from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2008

Strengths:    very little to no bob / great climbing / handles extremely well in single track / after 7 years the bike is still not out dated / the new full suspension bikes are all this design

Weaknesses:    none - at first the chain suck drove me insane, but once I learned how to ride and could do hills in middle ring I was fine.

Bottom Line:
I consider myself very fortunate to have bought this bike when getting into mountain biking 7 years ago considering I had no clue what to buy. I have rode it hard for 7 plus years and have no itch to get a new bike. Fisher was ahead of it's time designing this frame / set up.

Favorite Trail:   Hardwood Hills / Dundas Valley

Purchased At:   Freewheel Cycle / Du

Similar Products Used:   my only bike owned / have tried hard tails that were well equiped

Bike Setup:   2000 frame (now replaced with sugar + frame) / sid fork / mavic 517 rims / xt xtr mix of components / avid sd7 brakes / xt crank with time pedals

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from Dublin Ireland

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2008

Strengths:    I bought the frame new in 2001 and it has moved with me from the US to the UK and now Dublin. It did two runs this weekend and is still as good as the day it was made. Strong and great for climbing.

Weaknesses:    They don't make it anymore. But it has rarity value now. People invariably stop and comment on it.

Bottom Line:
One day my Sugar will give up the ghost and I'll spend hours deciding between another GF frame or something from Santa Cruz or Ventana (the El Salt looks a beaut.) but until that day I am in no hurry. Okay, I'm still using V-brakes and the travel on my rear shock and front forks is unfashionably small but I wouldn't swap this frame for love nor money.

Favorite Trail:   Ballinastoe Woods, County Wicklow

Purchased At:   Bicycle Trip, Santa Cruz

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Lots of changes: Fox RP23 rear Shock. Marzocchi Marathon Race forks, XT crankset and casette with XTR groupset and Shimano SPDs, Easton EC90 handle bar with EA70 stem and Chris King threadless HS, Thompson Elite seat post with Fizik Gobi saddle and Mavic Crossmax SX wheels and Maxxis UST 2.1 tyres.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Piedmont, NC

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, responsive shifting

Weaknesses:    Parts expensive and not readily available for this model

Bottom Line:
I had the main pivot and a few bushings of the dual suspension replaced at local bike shop. Cost me $80.00+, and waited four weeks.

Favorite Trail:   Various

Submitted by Micky Frye a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2005

Strengths:    Tough, Light.

Weaknesses:    Cheap stock parts.

Bottom Line:
I like this bike...I ride rough stuff and broke a 04 Trek Liquid 55 last month. My Sugar has outlasted it on the same trails. Ive raced it 5 times, and generally disregarded maintenence on the thing and it still rides great.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   PX / Veisbaden, GM

Similar Products Used:   Only "true" XC bike Ive ever owned.

Bike Setup:   Stock Bontrager stuff...XT rear wheel (upgrade) Avid Brakes (upgrade) Zocci EXR Pro fork (upgrade)

Submitted by Dennis G a Cross Country Rider from Stratford, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2003

Strengths:    Great climbing, light, handling

Weaknesses:    I bought the bike in Oct 2000. I just cracked my third rear triangle in the same spot. I am a cross country rider weighing under 200 pounds. The bike cannot handle multiple smaller hits, which are common on the east coast where I ride with roots and rocks. This bike was made for Cali hardpack.

Bottom Line:
I am not impressed with Fisher's customer service. The lifetime frame warranty is great but Fisher obviously issued a defective product for this model year and refuses to upgrade me to a newer/beefier Sugar frame or Trek bike. I will never buy another Fisher bike and nor would I recommend it. Too bad since the bike has many great qualities and I think the genesis geometry is smart.

Favorite Trail:   Trumbull, CT

Bike Setup:   I have added a beefier sun mammoth rear double wall wheel. xtr crankset. time pedals. those are the major addons.

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Irvine, CA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Strengths:    Low cost full suspension bike, no bob on climbs. Fast Customer Service.

Weaknesses:    Frame, Cane creek shock, Combo shifter/brake levers

Bottom Line:
Frame withstood about 2,200 cross country miles (1.3 years) before crack appeared in rear triangle section. I'm a 170 lb x-country rider. Fisher replaced triangle section in 3 weeks. 2 months later the other portion of the frame broke next to a weld. Fisher upgraded me to a new 2002 Sugar 3+ frame within 3.5 weeks through LBS CycleWerks in Costa Mesa (Thanks Trever). Blew seals in cane creek shock after 9 months and then again after another 6 months. Cane creek sent two sets of seals for free the first time. Easy to replace seals. I think the Shimano XT cranks and the front fork upgrade are a must. You will have to by new shifters when the bushings in the brake levers go bad (all one piece). Have no regrets in buying this bike. Fisher has lifetime warranties and fast service. I do like the additional travel of the 3+ so far.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   First mountain bike

Bike Setup:   Sugar 3 with 2002 Pslyo SL Forks, Shimano XT Cranks, Avid 3 brake levers, Avid Mag calipers, Shimano XT shifter levers, Shimano pedals, Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires. The rest is stock.

Submitted by Jason Bodine a Weekend Warrior from Fullerton, California, USA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2002

Strengths:    light,climbs like at hardtail,genesis geometry (comfortable)Bowlink suspension design (laterally stiff, progressive spring rate),reliable(no major mechanical failures),cheap(it outperforms many "monkey bobbers" and "squeakers" that cost twice the price)

Weaknesses:    tires,seat,chainsuck(rarely),stickers peel,paint chips, quick release seatpost clamp not stock(special order from garyfisher), bontrager RE-1 pedals(difficult to release), seat(hard and painful on longer rides)

Bottom Line:
This was my first full suspension, I was loyal hardtail fan until an injury left me wanting a more cushioned ride than my aluminum HT. Since my previous specialized bikes had been great, my first consideration was the FSR($1200 ouch). So I went to supergo, rode it, wasn't convinced it was worth the dent in my wallet. I asked the salesman about cheaper FS like the klien mantra on sale for $899, he suggested the Sugar 3(which was selling for $999). Still not conviced I should spend a grand,I did my homework researching full suspension designs. The more I read about the sugar, the more I believed the it had the qualities I was looking for:lightweight,great climbing ability, no pedal bob, low maintanence. About a week later, I was riding El Morro when two women rode up on brand new Sugars. I asked what they thought about thier bike. The were only too eager to preach, a little too long, about my how much they loved the bikes. Then, they informed me that supergo had lowered the price to $899 and if you mention seeing the advertisment on the web you get a free hydration pack, pump, and gloves. I was sold. After upgrading the shifters to gripshift and the brakes to avid the price when back up to about grand after tax. And that is the story of how I fell in love. From the first ride, I felt th bike allowed me to ride longer, climb better, and descent faster than on any other bike I have ever ridden. Upgrading the front and rear shocks made the ride even sweeter than it was. For the price, it was well worth the improvement to my riding abilities. To this day, I am still amazed when I clean a tough or impossible looking climb, decent or technical section that I don't expect to make. I just look down and thank the bike, for being the best $1000 I ever spent. only 4 chilis overall because of the seat, tires and pedals.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with a good climb and fast descent

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   88 Specialized hardrock,89 specialized rockhopper,90s specialized rockhopper A1

Bike Setup:   manitou mars elite, canecreek cloud-9,sram XO shifters/rear derailer,avid single digit 25,WTB Speed V race, gary fisher fishsticks,MythosXC 2.1F 1.95R

Submitted by Alex G. a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Strengths:    Genesis geometry, frame design, decent component group for the bucks, great customer service. Once you dial it in it rides like a hardtail...

Weaknesses:    Stock crankset, original rear triangle flaw(design), stock tires, Cane Creek 5 inadjustability. The Bonty stem is a biatch to get pointing straight auuuughhhh!

Bottom Line:
Great handling bike once you get used to the built-in flex of the rear triangle. Cracked the original and upgraded to the carbon stays (less flex, ghostshifting etc..) The Bonty crankset will drive you crazy no matter how well you tune it, get a Shimano LX, XT etc... on this baby. If you slap on a new rear shock (AD12 or Cloud 9) as well as replacing the adequate but low-end Manitou SX it will totally transform the handling of this sweet ride. The Superlight still beats it in the rougher (rocky) terrain but for the bucks it slams the competition with its simple and effective single pivot design. The geometry feels just right once you get the stem/ bar thing tweaked. I'm 5-11 and ride a large with a 90mm stem. Happy trails!

Favorite Trail:   Forest Ridge (Austin)

Purchased At:   Sun&Ski

Similar Products Used:   Voodoo, GT, Raleigh, Santa Cruz...

Bike Setup:   Bomber Z2 Atom 80mm, Kore 1.5 riser, Ritchey Zed and WTB tires, WTB Speed saddle (ahhhh) King headset, Avid AD20

Submitted by Ivan Sandoval a Weekend Warrior from Platteville, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2002

Strengths:    This FS bike feels like a hardtail. No bobbing when climbing steeps. This bike is very fast and has great handling on fast descents.

Weaknesses:    Chain suck on occassion but that's usually associated with dirty chain and rings. Stock tires suck for cross country but great for slick rock.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great deal for the $. I've improved my technical climbing immensely and fly down hill. I'm 150# and consider myself an intermediate to advanced rider. I haven't really put the bike to the test on extreme terrain but, for Colorado trails, it's prefect! It climbs and descends very nicely.
Change out the tires and you're ready for riding. I won't be upgrading too much on this ride. I give it a 4 for not putting good tires on such a good bike:)

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail from Kenosha to Georgia Pass

Purchased At:   Bicycle Village

Similar Products Used:   None....this is the first FS bike I've owned.

Bike Setup:   stock except the crappy tires. I reaplace them with XC Panaracers.

Submitted by Jon Clark a Cross Country Rider from mililani

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Strengths:    Frame, Off of the shelf components, Climbing. It climbs like a goat. Size., and stand over distance. Power transfer on the climb

Weaknesses:    The stock tires suck

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike in some very rugged areas and it has just preformed. It has never let me down both in racing and on group rides. It climbs like a goat and has enough suspension to take the bite out of some pretty rough trails. I will putting on a new front fork soon as the stock one is about shot. Also any one that does not use Lizard Skins is an idiot. Put them on any thing that might damage the frame. Remember you are dealing with aluminum. All in all I am stoked with this bike. the only change that I made is getting rid of the stock tires. I run Hutchinson Mosquito Golds. 2.0 in the front and a 1.8 in the rear, that takes care of any mud build up from the frame. Buy this bike if you want a reliable, XC machine that can get you on the podium. Happy riding, be safe aloha

Favorite Trail:   Mililani mango Loop

Purchased At:   Super Go San Diego ( New)

Similar Products Used:   FSR, Trek I Drive and KHS

Bike Setup:   Totally Stock, I have not changed a thing but the tires, and cables, added Lizard Skins to guard against chain slap and to keep rear shock cleaner.

Submitted by Humberto Freire a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2002

Strengths:    underrated cross country bike,reliable well thought through design.Strenghts well four World Cups and two Olympic Gold Medals and gentlemen the two Golds was won by a certain Italian Lady! enough said I,m not going to bore with specs just go and test ride one .

Weaknesses:    well the weaknesses are The handel bar could be a riser instead of a straight bar A individual colour choice could be a plan Mr Gary Fisher,Oh and a extra thing the pre cut Fork is non negotiable every rider has his or her preferance in stem length or height but an extra 5 centimeters or room for an extra stem spacer would be great.The head badge fell off my sweet sugar and it has taken me since November 2001 to get a replacement I FINALY GOT ONE TODAY THE 26th OF JULY 2002. other than that it remains the perfect bike for me but thats me .

Bottom Line:
well I took a long time in my research before I bought this bike and I am realy happy with it,s handeling , climbing descending and on straights I can kick arse! I,m flying next weekend in Cornwall England. Taking my Girlfriend,her Trek 4400, My sugar a tent doing Penzance to st.Ives 3 nights 4days of adventure! you want a good cross country bike But please you got be serrious other wise forget it this is a serrious mountain bike.

Favorite Trail:   The Planet OH! sorry !our EARTH

Purchased At:   Bonthrone cycles

Similar Products Used:   FSR specailized, Cannondale m600, trek 4400.

Bike Setup:   Factory go to gary fisher web sight

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from Comox

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2002

Strengths:    Light strong frame, good component spec, excellent geometry for climbing hills, a good rider can fly on this bike! Also a great bike for beginners.

Weaknesses:    Paint/stickers scratch and nick easily. WTB stock tires and seat absolutely suck arse. Shifting problems with chain into small front cog.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the money. The 2000 model has better components than the 2001. The only problem I've had is a common one with Sugars. When rear shock is under compression with simultaneous switching to front small cog, ther chain gets jammed in the frame pivot point. Very frustrating because it scratches the frame and damages the chain. The rear Cane Creek shock works well although it is very, very stiff - that's the idea for good XC riding. Frame is strong enough to take small hits and drops. Front fork - Manitou SX - works well but I'd like some rebound adjustments - SX R would be better.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Fast

Purchased At:   Quebec

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel, Specialized FSR XC.

Bike Setup:   Crowbar, Rokko XC Pro tires, Time ATAC pedals, Specialized BG seat - everything else stock.

Submitted by shaun a Weekend Warrior from cincinnati

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2002

Strengths:    light, stiff, cheaper than sugar 1 or 2

Weaknesses:    some house components, not great wheelset, cheapo stickers

Bottom Line:
I posted last year, and the bike just keeps getting better. Replaced the lx brake and shifter combo with seperate xt shifters and levers, new cables, new azonic shorty stem and flite seat. Also, replaced wheelset with xt/517 that you can get anywhere. It is a world of difference. Replace the bontrager crap with only a slight weight penalty, and this thing is stiff and responsive. Replaced the stem and rode it a few times, great. Then replaced wheelset and rode it a few times, great. Next I will get a 2001 Z2 Atom race to replace the crappy fork. This will be one still mofo. Still lighter than my friends fs bikes. Want to replace the crankset with xt, but it has not broken or caused to many problems, which is somewhat of a suprise after all the bad reviews that I have seen here. Buy one, ride it, upgrade it, it only gets better.

Favorite Trail:   harbin

Purchased At:   cyclesport

Similar Products Used:   a few treks, kleins, and rocky mountains

Bike Setup:   mostly xt, shorty stem, xt/517 wheelset, flite seat

Submitted by Jeremy a Cross Country Rider from Healdsburg

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2002

Strengths:    genesis geometry, low maintinance pivot, climbs good, light
fun to ride

Weaknesses:    No disk brake tabs on the rear, all the stickers on the frame,

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike. I found a good deal on Ebay and snatched it up. I upgaded a few things and it works great. I had some chainsuck problems at first but the new cranks and the better I ride now have stopped that. It is a good XC bike. Have put about 700 miles on it and just did a complete strip down and clean on it this winter. Rides better now. 5 on value since I got it used 4 on overall since I dont have much to rate it against.

Favorite Trail:   Shiloh, Foothils and Anadale parks

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   couple of hardtails Gt and Univega

Bike Setup:   XC riser bar, Avid arch rival brakes, Ritchy V2 comp pedals,
Raceface Prodigy Isis drive cranks, pc69 chain, Yeti grips, the rest of stuff stock

Submitted by emory ehrenfeld a Cross Country Rider from mechanicsburg, pa usa

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Strengths:    No bobbing on rear shock. Rides like hardtail, but smoothes out rearend on babyhead rocks. Haven't even replace pivit points elastmers (plastic bushings) yet. Geat standover height and top tube length

Weaknesses:    Seat tube angle too shallow (73.5). Had to buy seats with 3.5 inches rails and move them all the way back. Rear seat stay doesn't have much clearance. I run 2.1 tires and the clearance is about 1/4 inch. Did some races this spring that was supper muddy and it packed up bad. I could had run a smaller tire, but I saw other racers run my tires, who weren't packing up as bad as me. I guess Gary wanted to beef up the stay and clearance wasn't a concern. The rear shock cane creek 5 lasted three rides before making a knocking noise. Road the shock until I blown it and upgraded to canecreek 10 ($125 upgrade from canecreek) and love the feel of the bike better now.

Bottom Line:
Bike rides great for full suspension bike. Don't feel weight of bike verse the old hardtail. Took a few rides to get use to rear end and notice bike doesn't bob up hill like some specialize bikes.

Only get 2.5 inches travel, so new models should feel better with 4 inches travel. If you don't mind not replacing bushings on pivit points, this is the bike for you. I found this to be the easiest full suspension bike to maintain.

This bike has the best fit for the rider than any hardtail I ever rode. I always need long top tube bikes, but the standover clearance was close to my max height. This bike doesn't have a standover clearance or top tube being short issue. I like that the stem is 105mm and can get a longer stem.

Must be doing something right because Klein, Trek, and some other bike companies are using Gary Fisher design.

Favorite Trail:   any trail not closed

Purchased At:   holmes cycle

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension bike, but rode 12 different hardtail bikes since 1990. Raced MTB for 11 years.

Bike Setup:   LX groupo and now mazzochi MRC forks.

2000 Sugar 3 shock

Blink suspension design. Cane Creek has a program where I can get a Cloud Nine for $245. Fox Float R's are approx. $300. It sounds like the Cane Creek shock is valved specifically for your bike when you order it... that's a question. What would you put on an old Sugar? BTW, It's my wif ... Read More »

Rear in Sqeek on a 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 3

Picked up a new squeak yesterday, I think I know the answer but wanted to see what anybody else may have encountered. The squeak sounds like you might imagine when a bed frame is moving (you know what I mean) or a hardwood floor that has loose boards.Read More »

2000 Sugar 3 Rear Suspension Question

I thing my Cane Creek AD5 is toast. Past few weeks I have noticed the rear shock having violent rebound. Bad enough you hear it "clank" when it does this. I have tried to lower the pressure, but then it is just too soft. I have read/heard that this shock is an odd size. 6.5 x 1.5 stroke. I have ... Read More »

cane creek AD5 - GF Sugar 3 2000 model help

I think my Cane Creek AD5 is toast. Past few weeks I have noticed the rear shock having violent rebound. Bad enough you hear it "clank" when it does this. I have tried to lower the pressure, but then it is just too soft. I have read/heard that this shock is an odd size. 6.5 x 1.5 stroke. I have foun ... Read More »

For Sale: 2000 Gary Fisher Genesis Sugar 3+

I have a 2000 Gary Fisher Genesis Sugar 3+ with less then 4 hours logged on it. My parents bought it for me wanting me to get into riding but I joined a gym and I enjoy it more. The Bike has Rear, Front and Mid suspension. The brakes are rim brakes and has a T1TEC Seat with Bon Trager Seat Post with ... Read More »