Gary Fisher 1999 Joshua XO Full Suspension Bike

4.57/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by Mark

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2012

Strengths:    well it's been thru hell and back with no problems! solid old mare !!!!!
have a much more expensive MTB and this old bike still draws me back.....will never sell this Joshua.

Weaknesses:    other than riding up sharp inclines where the rear shock gobbles up some of your cranking power none really....in florida with flat terrain it's not a issue.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden her now for 12 years... she is my primary beach cruiser only now and still ticking! do rinse her off very well and spray a solution of 50% PB blaster and 50% WD40 after each ride in salt water.
here she is in action recently ;)...:

Submitted by Meidy a Cross Country Rider from Denver CO US

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Strengths:    Good Frame, light enough compare with newer model of other brand. The large frame look very strong and tall when you maxed up with 7,5" rear shock, and 120mm travel fork shock. It rides so stable.

Weaknesses:    The color is too contrast for big frame like this. People really can tell this is an older model bike. The bushing for rear shock is hard to find these days. I bought Fox air suspension DHX 5.0 7.5" eye to eye with the dump on the side and it's really hard to mount it on the bike. Cost me time n more money to do that. The Original front shock is to short,n make the frame looks weaker before I replace it. No Disc brake.

Bottom Line:
I really like the way it looks now after replacing with longer shock-front n rear. I keep staring at it when it park. I love n enjoy riding it. My brother that has nice specialized keep wanting to have one that build up like this.

Favorite Trail:   Copper Mountain

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Giant, Trek

Bike Setup:   Manitou Axel 120mm travel fork, Thomson Stem, Bontrager handle bar, Fox Air DHX 5.0 7.5" eye to eye, Bontrager tires, Thomson pedle.

Submitted by DEE T a Cross Country Rider from N.Y. N.Y.

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2007

Strengths:    Daily rider,to & from work,slam the trails usually on the weekends!

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
Had this bike for eight years,put lots of miles on it not one thing has ever broke on it!It has been ridden on & in streets,trails,hills,rain.I do not want another bike EVER~I had lots of other ones come & go,but this one last a trip to the store everyday or a trip to the mountains each month!! Best bike i owned hands down.

Favorite Trail:   FOREST HILLS

Purchased At:   FRIEND

Similar Products Used:   Pro flex,Mountain cycle,Nishiki

Bike Setup:   Rock shox deluxe front & rear,All xt components...crank,derailers,brakes,Kore headset & stem,High zoot handlebars,Spin wheels/Armadillo tires.

Submitted by Tyler Schott a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2006

Strengths:    This bikes' frame rocks, it takes whatever you throw at it. I really like the frame design, it hasn't failed me yet. Plus I got it at a great deal

Weaknesses:    The componets on the bike don't even match with the quality of the frame. I think it needs disc brakes, longer rear travel, high end componets, and a fox fork

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks, with some componet upgrades this bike is easily a $3000 bike that performs outstandingly. I agree it is a bit heavy however the extra workout is worth it for the downhill. I would reccomend this bike for sure, but a few componet upgrades would give it some rad kung fu

Favorite Trail:   Horsetooth Mountain Park

Purchased At:   From Friend

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Tassajara, looking to find another full suspension bike

Bike Setup:   LX Deore, all stock except rear derailleur but I want to put all xtr and new suspension

Submitted by Alex a Downhiller from Charleston, WV, USA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Strengths:    This is A GREAT bike! i've had mine since it was brand new. I've only made a few changes; clipless pedels, xtr components.. etc. She flies down the hills, and can turn on a dime. i've never had it bottom out, and i'm 175, and now my from is about an inch/inch and a half to tall for the frame... so my seat is a little past the max.

Weaknesses:    no rear lock out, out at the tome i bought it. so my knees have suffered the 3 mile climb to get to the good trails for a few years. she can be a bit heavy on the ups, but I ride a hard tail every once and a while, and i can burn up the hills from the training i have gotten from it!

Bottom Line:
this is a great bike, it's a bit heavy and dosen't have a rear lock out but never the less, she goes crazy on the down hills and can take a MAJOR beating! my paint tended to peel but i gave it hell! If gary fisher still made this bike i would buy it in a heart beat! If you looking for an older free ride bike and your willing to go with the extra weight and maybe replace the back shock than this is the bike for you!

Favorite Trail:   Polecat

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Ridge Rider

Similar Products Used:   i've tested a a few new bikes and i'm looking to buy, but i can't find one that matches my XO.

Bike Setup:   minor changes; clipless, xtr...etc

Submitted by Matt from Columbus, OH

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2001

Strengths:    Value, Looks, compatability

Weaknesses:    Cheap components

Bottom Line:
The components on this bike are not ready to take the abuse of heavy trail riding, or downhill. If you plan on heavy trail riding, buy a stronger bike becuase the cost in upgrading the components is way too expensive. Great beginner bike but real heavy for xc riding. A fun bike to play around with.

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   other bikes

Bike Setup:   Front judy shock, rear lock-out, shim m 535 wheelset, panaracer 2.3's

Submitted by amin from encino, california, US

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2001

Strengths:    strong frame, easy to tune, looks cool, keeps going.

Weaknesses:    no disc brake mounts

Bottom Line:
This is my first full suspension bike, I think its great. I ride everyday to work and school. work 28 miles and school 8 miles. I ride everywhere. I rode this bike to San fransico in 4 days. The paint is good just some basic chips, but for the money its great. good climber, fast down hill quick on turns. I put some slicks on it and it jams. now I have a fat raptor tire in rear and a michiline wild city gripper in front and it still jams. thats for the rain season. I have put several thousand miles on it and hoping to put many more. The next thing I would like to install is a fat fork with you know about 8 inch of travel and somehow get some dics brakes on this baby. I have a car but I perfer to ride my bike, any one who wants to buy one, do it!
some say its a bit heavy, nah just makes you stronger. great bike.

Favorite Trail:   none yet

Purchased At:   classifieds

Bike Setup:   mantou answer fork, stock rock shock, shimano& avid brakes
sugino crank, sram comp. 5.0rear derailer.

Submitted by Steve Stafford a Cross Country Rider from Ashville

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2001

Strengths:    Comfortable ride, rear shock lockout helps with climbs

Weaknesses:    Dated product at this time. Hard to justify upgrade v.s. new bike

Bottom Line:
This was a great bike and still is. I have had little to no maintenance problems. The Bikes paint job still looks brand new except where the lockout cable has rubbed against the frame. The bike is great on the downhills but good tires are a must. The Frame has no cracks or stress marks. Great bike to start in the Full suspension field.

Favorite Trail:   all the single track in the mountains

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek, GT, Marin

Bike Setup:   Judy T2 Front, Rock Shock Delux with lockout Rear, Avid 1.0 brakes, Deore LX shifters, Shimano clone clipless pedals, velocoraptor Tires on Mavic rims

Submitted by chad capece a Downhiller from easley

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2001

Strengths:    I have up graded it to XTR from my last review in 1999. Fork is gnarly for cross country.

Weaknesses:    REar fork tanks out on harsh landings. The rims need to be replaced with spins.

Bottom Line:
stock model not for hard riders with gnarly trails

Favorite Trail:   tsali

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   a store

Similar Products Used:   INtense and gt

Bike Setup:   full xtr with spins, panaracers, monkey bar, fox prototype

Submitted by Brian Folsom a Cross Country Rider from Provo,Ut,

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Strengths:    light weight, climbs like a mountain goat, comfortable, fast and responsive!

Weaknesses:    lx front derayler- I don't like it.
stock tires only good on hardpack singletrack and slickrock.

Bottom Line:
The bike kicks ass! It's faster than anything I've tried. It's comfortable fast and feels safe. It not only climbs great but also desends like no other. The sid and cane creek work very well together. I've found myself riding much more on my sugar than on my past bike. ( GT ZASCAR)
The sugar 2 has made me into a much better rider. I find myself much faster and confident on this bike. I also have noticed a considerable amount of fewer crashes. I'm better, faster, and I visit the ER less on my sugar.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock

Purchased At:   copeland sports

Similar Products Used:   gt I-drive, specialized FSR, cannondale jeckyll

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Hasan Ismail a Cross Country Rider from Singapore, SG, Singapore

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2001

Strengths:    The geometry of Gary's frame gives you a well centred balance. Even on unruly trails.

Weaknesses:    Rear shox if not maintained properly will wear down. This causes an over-suspended ride that rips off energy from long rides. The break cable housings and bottle cages are rather placed at unlikely areas. I have camelpaks instead - if you don't want to have mud tasting replenishments.

Bottom Line:
It's a fun riding bike. For the price that you fork out - you are getting quiet a good ride for the money. It is no doubt that Joshua XO is still one of my fun bikes. It handles terrains and rough handlings pretty well. The paint job on my frame is beginning to crack here and there over the year but it still rides as good as I first got it. For those who are trying to get into terrain ridings and climbing is your weakness, Gary's Y Frame with its form serves it's function. You will feel the difference in ascending surely.

Favorite Trail:   Desaru Farm Tracks, Malaysia

Purchased At:   Treknology, Singapore

Similar Products Used:   Klein Mantra Comp, Grossman Project, Corratec Oxbow.

Bike Setup:   Mavic Hard Rims, Parallax Hubs, XT Front and back derailers, Magura breaks.

Submitted by Mike Myers a Downhiller from Littleton, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2000

Strengths:    Great Bike, Geomatry, style, paint job, Strenth, water bottle holders.

Weaknesses:    Components-for the dollar.

Bottom Line:
I loved the bike the look and the feel. I am 17 and work at a bike shop in Colorado. This bike is the best full suspension bike I have ever ridden. The Bike was fun any time anywhere. The bike would take a beating and keep and ticking. Until The frame cracked at the headset weld.(1 year later) I put this bike through hell and a half, I was hit by a car and the only thing that happend was a bent rim and a bent head set. The thing that surprisced me was the Rock Shox were fine. The bike Not a scratch.
I think that Gary Fisher could have put better set-up on the bike like deraulars and brakes, on the for the price.
If I were to buy another full suspension for a low price I would defentily go with a K2 Attack or even another Fisher. If you are looking for a great full suspension bike for $2,000 plus go with a Schwinn 4 banger ar a Rocky Mountian Spice. After riding this bike I learned a lot about Gary Fisher, A great company and great cutomer sevice. For long Term use I would have to say the bike did above and beyond my exspectations, What really surprised me was the paint job, After waht I did to this bike when I was done ther was barley any scratches at all on the bike. I loved it and would take another in a heart beat. Thank you.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Bicyle Pedl'er

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountian Spice, K2 Attack.

Bike Setup:   The Bike setup was o.k for the price, but fisher did a great job to build the bike after what I put mine through.

Submitted by Adam Delu a Racer from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2000

Strengths:    Good finish, comfy ride, reasonable weight for price and
features.

Weaknesses:    waterbottle mounts, rear brake cable guides.

Bottom Line:
At $1100 this bike represents a great value. I didn't
take quite this approach. . .

I bought this frame barely used with a RockShox XC shock
for $300.00 (included XT BB, AheadSet), for my wife.

I built the bike up with mail-ordered, new parts, close to
the specs of the F series bicycles (crappy front derailleur,
excellent shifters, marginal cranks). With SPDS and
tax I spent about $900.

The suspension travel is very cush and takes some getting used to compared to my bike (a Bridgestone MB-0). Overall,
the fit and finish are excellent. The paint seems pretty
durable. The ride is as solid as you could hope for with
a fully suspended bike, but the geometry seems surprisingly
tight and agile. Weight is a bit heavy (26 lbs) compared
to my 23 pound *steel* (but also totally awesome) MB-0.

I highly recommend this route and have seen several of these
framesets around town (people upgrading to the F-series?).
BTW, I'm really curious to ride the F2 with SID lockout. . .

Seems like an endemic problem in fully suspended
bikes: where the #$%!@ do you put the waterbottle
cages? I thought about maybe getting one of those
geeky triathlete (behind-the saddle) water bottle cages,
but a camelback seems a better idea (than getting mud
sprayed all over it on the underside of your downtube!).

I found some of the cable routing a bit tricky. Don't
even think about not using V-brakes (I sent back a set of Deore LX canti's and put on Avid 2.0's). The rear brake cable housing wears a groove into the otherwise immaculate powder coated frame (and several mm of aluminium). Not a problem since this bike cannot rust. . .

Buy this bike for your wife! Save your bones for something
a little bit more exotic for yourself. . .

Favorite Trail:   tenderfoot (mt. tam)

Purchased At:   various places

Bike Setup:   Rolf Satellite Wheelset, LX cranks, XT 9-speed rapidfires, XT rear derailleur, Ritchy Pro-Lite bars. Ritchy Z.E.D. tires.

Submitted by CHAD CAPECE a Racer from EASLEY S,C

Date Reviewed: December 18, 1999

Strengths:
PLUSH FORK
KILLER MICHELIN WILD GRIPERS TIRES
24 SPEEDS
Y FRAME

Weaknesses:
LX REAR DERAULAIR

Bottom Line:
IF UP HILL IS YOUR GAME THAN THIS BIKE WILL PUT YOU TO SHAME. I RECOMEND THIS BIKE TO A BUGET MINDED DOWN HILL PERSON

ISSAQUEENA LAKE TRAIL