Foes 1999 dhs Full Suspension Bike

4.1/5 (10 Reviews)

Foes dhs

Submitted by G Y from Ca

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Strengths:    looks cool

Weaknesses:    I broke the swing arm. the bike is past the 2 year warranty

Bottom Line:
BE CAREFUL Foes doesn't back there product, unlike Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, Trek...Foes only has a 2 year LIMITED warranty and NO crash replacement policy Santa Cruz 2 year with lifetime crash replacment, Ellsworth lifetime, Trek 5+ years ....

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz, Intense, Ellsworth, Trek, Tomac

Submitted by aldog a Downhiller from summit county, colorado

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2001

Strengths:    The whole bike is just insane! there's only ONE design flaw....

Weaknesses:    ...Are they making these derailleur hangers out of styrofoam?????

Bottom Line:
Everyone should ride this bike at least once. I never realized what a DH bike was capable of until I threw my leg over this one. The confidence I acquired through riding this bike caused me to fall even more in love with the sport and as a result, I felt less guilt about ditching work & riding more. I began to pull off things I never dreamed I was capable of... Unfortunately, I'm not always as smooth as I should be and ended up smashing the hanger off a few times. I realize I should clean it up a bit, but really, the hanger design is just weak and needs to hold up under SOME stress, at least....

Submitted by James a Downhiller from Westfield, Ma, USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2001

Strengths:    It rides sweet. Drops, Jumps, Stairs and pretty much everything u can thing of it takes right up. Sweet ride.

Weaknesses:    None to date.

Bottom Line:
The bike is sweet and i would reccommend it to everyone and the new one just looks better. If ur lookin for something to win on this is for you. If not look else where... I actually find that the bike isnt too difficult to pedal. I think it would only seem hard to pedal if u try climbing hills with which if u didnt know its not made for.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Dad

Similar Products Used:   Only dh specific but i have used a specialized with 6" kit and boxxer fork and it is night and day over that

Bike Setup:   Protaper Bars, Azonic 50mm Stem, Boxxer fork, Sun double wide rims 24", Hayes 8", RaceFace crank (soon to be profile), Mrp chainguide, XTR shifter pod, odi lock on grips, 3.0" tires, and azonic a-frame pedals

Submitted by Racer X a Downhiller from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2000

Strengths:    Looks, simplicity, maintenence, strength, handling, everything on the whole bike, seriously. 12mm axle, 8" brake, 8" travel (2000 version) Oh, and F1 fork is the best fork made

Weaknesses:    pedaling, no floating disc. It is the worse pedaling DH bike I have ridden, but seriously, they didn't make this frame for going up hills. Sprints rather nicely. As for the disc, so far I haven't noticed hardly any difference, but I did like the freefloater oh so much.

Bottom Line:
Bottom Line, best DH bike made, especially for the money. I said that same thing for my previous bike, but after I blew 3 shocks and bent and twisted the rear linkage, im out. This frame is sooo stiff, so sturdy, it just rocks. I hear of people still runnning they same bike 5 years later, after racing 5 seasons of DH on it. Hell Yeah! $700 less the an intense. Whats an intense got that the DHS doesn't? The pricetag and the logo

Favorite Trail:   Temelpa, Zigzag, Little Hill Slalom

Purchased At:   from a dude

Similar Products Used:   Lots, Chumba, Santa Cruz

Bike Setup:   F1 fork, 321, Hope DH4, Azonic, Maxxis

Submitted by steve a Racer from parsippany,nj

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2000

Strengths:    crazy stiff rear-end, super plush, 8" travel!, nice cornering, nice long wheel-base, nice scissor link

Weaknesses:    product weaknesses?? Foes DHS.... those words dont got together

Bottom Line:
damn stiff rear-end, if you got that extra cash for the optional 12mm axle get it!...the bike is fast and furious....throw anything you want at it and itll take it....ive been free-riding this bike mostly now and those 10' ledges and bleechers feel like pebbles under you wheels....the wheel base is just right, it handles great at high speeds, and doesnt flinch when having to be thrown around a hairpin turn....
if you have any problems w/ the bike, which i doubt you will, call Curtis and he'll help you out w/ anything, he knows the buisness and knows his products like nobody's buisness....i had problems w/ getting the brakes i wanted and he sent me the right adapters right away no questions asked...he himself rides a slammer so he knows how it works
i cant wait to race this bad boy and see what i can do on it....

Similar Products Used:   tomac 204, aeon joker, super 8, intense m1

Bike Setup:   2000 slammer mono, 12mm rear axle, f1 fork, race face/sram, hayes purple dh, , sunn double wides, azonic parts

Submitted by Fast Eddie a Downhiller from Newps, CA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2000

Strengths:    Damn thing rules. Super Stiff! 2000 Model now has 8". Did I say Super Stiff! The faster you go the better the bike works. Low center of gravity for better cornering.

Weaknesses:    NONE... other than the chinsy AC chainguide that sucks! Get an MRP!

Bottom Line:
This is the best dh bike made. PERIOD. The M1 feels like a wet noodle compared to the Foes. Not only that but I like having a zero maitenence bike. I've had it for two years.. ridden just about daily and have never had to overhaul the suspension.. just wipe it off and ride.. still feels like butter. The F1 wet one rules too... could use more travel..

Favorite Trail:   Tunnel / Santa Barbra

Similar Products Used:   Intense M1, Rotec, GT Lobo

Bike Setup:   Foes DHS 7" model, Foes F1 Wet One, AC Hubs, Hayes F&R

Submitted by James a Downhiller from New England USA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff frame, super smooth chain guide, performance

Weaknesses:    No adjustability, limited chain guide selection

Bottom Line:
The bike is awesome. I bought mine in June of 1998. While training at the Mt. Snow National DH course this passed August, I ripped the bottom bracket out of the frame. I was pissed. I was using language that Larry Flint would have been offended by. There is a picture of the section of course I did it on in Mountain Bike Mag. I think the picture shows a guy on a Yeti. Anyway, after I got to the bottom of the course, I went to talk to Foes. (A WORD OF ADVICE: For anyone out there trying to waranty a part or get something for free BE NICE!!!) The mechanic I talked to tried to get me a team members back up bike for me to borrow, but none were available. They said that since they were so far from California, the only brought a few bach ups, and those that they did bring were of the factory one-off variety. I ended up racing on a borrowed Intense.
After coming home and stripping the frame down, I called Foes. Even though the bike had been raced hard for two full seasons, they waranteed it. It took about 6 weeks to get it back though because it was their off season. I could have got it back sooner, but had to wait because of my color choice. Besides, it was the fall and I wouldn't be riding much anuway. I called Foed several times to check on my bike, and they always knew exactly where it was. One night I even came home to find a voice mail from Brent Foes giving me an update.
THE BOTTOM LINE: This is a great bike from a great company that stands behind its product 100%

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Snow Nationals DH

Similar Products Used:   Intense M1 SL, Trek Pro Issue DH, S-Works DH (What I own now), C-Dale, Santa Cruz....Basicaly any bike you can think of

Bike Setup:   Y200 S Works DH w- Y2K X-Vert DH fork, Hayes, MRP...

Submitted by Jaysin a Downhiller from Cali.

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2000

Strengths:    It is a very strong frame that ride so nice. Its an easy bike to toss around corners as well. Over all it is the best bike i have ridden beside a Tomac.

Weaknesses:    The price, not that it isn't worth it but they are quite exspencive.

Bottom Line:
This bike is well worth the money and they turn heads when they fly by...

Favorite Trail:   Emrild Rock Garden