Diamondback 2001 XR-4 Full Suspension Bike

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by Jim Lathom from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Strengths:    Stiffness, durability, looks, price

Weaknesses:    Weight, SID shock

Bottom Line:
I actually have an XR-5 frame that I bought slightly used on Ebay. I then built it up. I have been mostly disappointed w/ the frame. I am not sure what it is designed for. It's heavy and overbuilt like a DH/freeride frame, but rides like a cross-country bike. I have tryed all diiferent setting on the SID dual air, but have never gotten it to ride nearly as smooth as my old ProFlex w/ a Noleen rear shock. If this what all air shock FS bikes ride like, I'm going back to coil-overs!! For the price, I suppose I can't complain. I think most of the problem is the RS SID shock. A Fox RL would probably help alot.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Proflex 855 and 857

Bike Setup:   Whatever I can buy cheap that works!

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Halethorpe

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2001

Strengths:    I have the 2000 year model and this bike was built to kick ass. Never mind the price, just look at the geo. . Beleive me there's alot of bikes out there similar to this set up and I'm sure there nice rigs, but the price you can't touch!

Weaknesses:    What's weak to some is a strength others

Bottom Line:
BUY IT !!!
Please Diamondback don't sell out to the big chains . Keep focused on the product. We will pay for the tech.

Favorite Trail:   Avolon, schaefer farms, loch raven

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Prinston Sports

Similar Products Used:   Santa cruz heckler(sweet). trek, giant, specialized.

Bike Setup:   stock , Only changes are avid disc brakes, riser bar, cables, Mavic disc rims, XT hubs, and soon crank and the rest of the drive train; only because of use.