Diamondback 2001 V-8 Full Suspension Bike

Submitted by Jerry Siegelman a Cross Country Rider from Rockville, MD

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2006

Strengths:    Top of the line, high-end components, latest and greatest technology for a pro-level bike.

Bottom Line:
After tons of research and comparison, I bought this bike for $2500 and it was worth every penny. Unfortunatley this bike is no longer produced by Diamondback, but the patented four-bar linkage is used by Specialized FSR, Turner Elites, and AMP bikes. Ride!

Favorite Trail:   schaefer farms

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR Elite, Turner, Kendrel

Bike Setup:   SRAM 9.0 sl shifters, XTR, RockShock SID, Mavic Crossmax, Time ATAC carbon, Flite seat

Submitted by Tom McCarty a Cross Country Rider from Valdez AK

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2005

Strengths:    See all the earlier reviews. I agree totally.

Weaknesses:    None until I noticed that the rear swingarm lower connection joint had cracked clear through. This is the pivot point with the thru bolts. I don't ride extreme nor do I do major drops, so I have to conclude this is a design weakness. As this bike is as much a part of my life as my wife and my dog, I will find a way to get it repaired. Believe it is aluminum so will take some doing. Anyone else suffer this failure? Any ideas?

Bottom Line:
Until I can find something that rides this well, is this light, and (up until my swingarm break!) is this indestructable, I'm sticking.

That said, the swingarm did fail so.................

Favorite Trail:   Elephant Head-Santa Ritas(AZ)

Purchased At:   Pro-rider sold me his ride.

Similar Products Used:   No FS, all previous rides were HT's. Wife has a new Santa Cruz Juliana SL and I like the DBR much MUCH better.

Bike Setup:   Stock except XBR fnt derailleur, Mavic's, Avid brakes.

Submitted by Jake Kilgore a Weekend Warrior from Cornelius NC, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent color scheme, nice components, strong and light!

Weaknesses:    None to date!

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and only wish it was bigger! 19" is not big enough for me! I would recommend this set-up to any serious trail rider. DBR Bikes are true climbers and can be used for the downhill. This bike has won many a downhill with no problems or spills. The seat sits well over the rear Strata and can be looked out for the HT action! Very well balanced and so fast it will make you feel like a pro if your not! The DBR's are alot better than the new DiamondBack bikes if you want one, get the V-8! I will sell this one soon on the Classifieds, Look for it! Blue and Red color scheme is SOO Tight! Let me know what you would pay?????

Favorite Trail:   Beech Springs/ A.K.A. Poplar Tent

Purchased At:   Lightning Cycles, Newton, NC

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher, Trek, SPecialized

Bike Setup:   XT, XTR, WTB hubs, Titec BARS

Submitted by Josh Vick a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2001

Strengths:    light weight, comfort, strong pivots, climbs better than ht's ive ridden.

Weaknesses:    They no longer make it.

Bottom Line:
This bike is pretty damn sweet for being mass produced. It's climbing abilities are fantastic. decending is good as well. ripping single track is a joy. it tracks really well and when it comes to rocks and roots, i just lean back a little and let the rear end do all the work. I just float over the nasty stuff, thus i can rip singletrack much faster than ever before and with less fatigue. I will have to agree with the previous reviewer in that slow speeds can make the ride a little...pogo like. It's just more incentive to push harder. Why they stopped making this bike i have no idea. The XR models came out and they seemed to be the same thing but with the added tube which seems to do nothing but add weight. if you're looking for a good used bike or frameset i would highly recomend this bike. As would i recomend any of the v-link bikes. while im typing, anyone know where to get a bike anodized

Favorite Trail:   any tight single track

Purchased At:   bought frame used

Similar Products Used:   GTS LTS-2, Kestral CSX,

Bike Setup:   atom bomb, AD-10, Race Face Cranks, XTR trainy, bonty rims, monkey bars, RF stem, chirs King head set

Submitted by Chris C. a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, Utah

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Strengths:    Looks, light weight, quick handling, great climber, lockout knob on rear shock

Weaknesses:    Original drivetrain spec. (SRAM), prone to chainsuck, original seatpost too short. Its biggest weakness is that they no longer make this great bike!

Bottom Line:
This bike is listed by MTBR as a 2001 model. The Diamondback (DBR) V8 is actually a 1998 bike. Regardless, the Diamondback V8 has been a great bike for 4 full seasons now. It still surpasses all of the current model FS XC bikes that I've ridden, and has a truly superior ride quality. I've considered a new bike, but just can't justify the $3,000+ pricetag for something that would offer only a comparable or marginally better ride at best. I figure that I should be able to get another one or two seasons out of my trusty V8. My V8 has been the ideal bike for the trail riding and occasional XC racing that I do here in Utah. It rips the technical singletrack of the Wasatch Mountains, and cooks on the Moab slickrock too. With some component and wheel upgrades, my V8 (large size frame) weighs in at about 25.5 lbs. The bike's light weight, coupled with the fully-active V-link rear suspension allow the V8 to climb like a goat. The rear wheel stays hooked up on the steep loose stuff, and the bike tracks straight where you point the bars. Flats and descents are a blast with the V8's quick, tight handling. This is not a big-hit bike, but the V8 is pretty comfortable launching off of 2-3 foot drops. The V8 corners like a dream, carving fast sweepers and cranking around tight switchbacks. Overall, I have no real compaints about this bike. It rides a little harsh over slow to medium speed stutter bumps, and has suffered chainsuck a few more times than I'd like, but overall is a lightweight, quick handling rocket in both the uphill and downhill directions. On top of that, my V8 has held up well over 4 seasons and about 4,000 miles of riding. The pivot points in the rear suspension are still just as tight as the day I bought the bike. The V8 is a blast to ride, but it's too bad that Diamondback doesn't make it anymore.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock Trail, Moab, Utah

Purchased At:   Guthrie's

Similar Products Used:   Ventana Marble Peak, Trek Fuel 98, Diamondback V-Link 3.1, Klein Adept Pro, Rocky Mountain Instinct

Bike Setup:   Stock SID fork ('98 model) and Stratos Strata Pro rear shock. Travel is 2.5in. front/3.5in. rear. Swapped-out original spec SRAM shifters and derailleur for Shimano XT and XTR drivetrain. Upgraded wheelset to Mavic X-517 rims w/XTR hubs. Thompson Elite seatpost. Stock straight Titec H-bar with Profile Brief bar ends.