Catamount 1999 MFS Full Suspension Bike

4.72/5 (32 Reviews)

1999 Catamount MFS, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy SL, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by BikinGail

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2014

Strengths:    I have one, just had it stripped, powder coated, repainted and tricked out with the latest componentry. Love it!!! Great bike overall.

Weaknesses:    Manufacturer has gone bye bye. I want to get a Catamount sticker after a new paint job, but to no avail.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, raced it in the late 90s and it was a great performer. I have recently tricked it out and it is still a winner.

Submitted by tom trumbower a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2012

Strengths:    Home grown in ft collins colorado. I want to find one.

Weaknesses:    hard to find.

Bottom Line:
This bike was going to be called a sun dog, but I sugested that it be called a catamount. My friend at the time had a hat from a brewery in newhampshire called catamount. It sounded better than sun dog. Thanks tm scott ed and rob.

Favorite Trail:   aurthurs rock

Duration Product Used:   8 yrs

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   Iron horse sgs, fuji, schwinn pro bmx

Bike Setup:   Dirt bike without the motor

Submitted by donnellym60 a Cross Country Rider from vancouver,wa. usa

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2011

Strengths:    great climber, agile and simple design, simple build up

Weaknesses:    no rear disk mounts but you can have them taped to accept screws to mount caliber

Bottom Line:
for a little over 500 dollars complete build with new old stock frame and new and hardly used components can't beat the price. Had my son in law who races professionally take it into the bike shop he works at when not racing, they could not figure out the bike, they were quite complex as to the make and design, it does turn heads. old design but favorite bike

Favorite Trail:   any single track

Similar Products Used:   stumpjumper, giant vt two

Bike Setup:   xt, xtr race face fsa fox

Submitted by warren a Cross Country Rider from nh, usa

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Weaknesses:    no disk brake tabs

Bottom Line:
this is sick, i am looking back at all of these reviews and i see crap like seat post hard to find or cant lower it? this shouldnt even be writen on these reviews, maybe taking off a couple inches of the post with a saw? works like a charm for me. but the weakness that i do agree to is the waterbottle position, perfect for mud to cling on the waterbottle, but once again theres a way around it. there are water bottle cages with velcro straps, yes, this means you can place ur water supply whereva your little heart desires. there are other weaknesses that i agree with but i forget. good job with the majority of u guys but some need to think before u report something that the whole biking society will read. and o ya i rode a race and got 26/62 bearbrook challenge actually and i owe a lot to this bike and i disagree and i think i speak for all with the person who said high matenence!!!!!! sure this bike needs to be sent in once in 2 YEARS but every fs bike should have to be sent in once a year (basically) high matenence?! pah

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   find a bike that doesnt even need a lock out and has 6.5 rear travel and extremely lightweight, no matenence, and nothing wrong with the suspension design (unless ur a really hard core northshore or downhill) and ill agree

Submitted by Todd a Downhiller from Tennessee

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Strengths:    Great bike. Great handling and plush.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Tried a SanAndreas and boy what a mistake(at least for the type of riding I do). The San Andreas felt like a bloated pig compared to the cat. The cat was so much faster, smoother, and energy efficient. After I built up the SanAndreas I went for my normal ride and was worn out beyond belief thereafter. Couldn't figure it out, but the Catamount was just so much more efficient and comfortable in comparison to the SanAndreas. They are made for different things and any comparison really isn't fair. But, I was told that the SanAndreas was a great cross country bike. I would have to disagree. I thought I would try other bikes, but I am going to stick with my Cat for now on. It's one of those bikes that just feels tight under you and stable. I like that. But, to each is own. This is a follow up review from earlier after trying new frames. Larry makes a great bike and is nice to talk with as well. Very helpful with me so far.
Todd

Favorite Trail:   any in Colorado:)

Similar Products Used:   Mt.Cycles San Andreas,Cannondale,ect.

Bike Setup:   z2,airshock,ect.

Submitted by warren a Cross Country Rider from deerfield, nh, usa

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Strengths:    everything, plush, you can choose any kind of color, climbs perfect, decends like a mountain goat, light, zero pivot maintnence, helps a lot when climbing up hill seated, sprints faster than any bike ive ever seen, agile at slow and fast speeds, hand made

Weaknesses:    gives me that goofy grin when riding or even talkin about it

Bottom Line:
when climbing stay seated! not just on this bike but on any, ive seen to many people submiting that it is bad when climbing while standing, any bike sux while standing no offence guys, it makes your rear tire stick in like magic, the only reason this bike isnt # 1 on all bike mags is because no one has heard of catamount, the best, if you are thinking about buying a hard tail forget about it, take a hard look at the cat and other hardtails, now think about it wat kind of features does a hardtail have that are better that a cat, the cat's pedal effeicency is maybe a little worse than hardtails but not enough to notice, just keep your stomach on the saddle downhillin and the suspension is magic, im 14 and will race my first time this may and when/if i go pro and join a team i will start a catamount team, basically if i was to get another bike because ive out sized this bike i would buy another, just in a larger size, great job larry!

Favorite Trail:   shaw, in pawtuckaway state park

Purchased At:   a buddy

Similar Products Used:   none, best of the breed

Bike Setup:   black, white letters, xtr rear derailer, xt front derailer, race face crankes, shimano spd pedals, marzocchi z3 coil/oil bath shocks, rockshox delux rear shock, flight saddle, panaracer smoke kevlar tires, xt front and rear v brakes,

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Vallejo, CA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Strengths:    Read The Bottom Line

Weaknesses:    Water bottle bolts are on the bottom of the main traingle on the "Larry"(17") size
No Disk brake Tabs

Bottom Line:
I have ridden the Catamount for about the month and have just raced in the UCI World Cup race just north of Napa. I can honestly say it is as efficient as the Santa Cruz Superlight I used to own. The main difference is the Cat is stiffer in the sprints and when cranking on the climbs. I also found the Cat to be considerably more stable when descending. Cornering was far more confidence inspiring than my Superlight because of the stiffness of the frame. Overall I find the ride to be the perfect cross-country ride, very sensitive to the terrain yet resistant to bobbing at each pedal stroke. Many of the other competitors were getting beat up on the rough sections where I was just sitting and concentrating on my spin. Another great aspect of the frame is it gets about 2” and absorbs the shock when you are out of the saddle.

The Catamount is an excellent design for the slow and fast XC rider regardless of skill level. I think one of the reasons the Catamount is not more popular is because of its unified rear design. Unfortunately past designs were poor and the shocks were not up to the task of optimizing the ride. The Cat climbs like a rabbit, does not brake-jack anything noticable, and does not bob when you pedal. This is due to a great pivot placement and custom shock dampening. Since the shock is directly underneath the rider, the shock dampening has to be higher than with other designs. Some rear shocks can fall short of this especially those in the past giving URT’s a bad name. The Cat uses a Marzocchi C-35 Boss Rear coil over.

As for the unjust review given by Mountain Bike magazine, don’t believe everything you read. The moron who wrote the article was already bias against URT designs and was not willing from the start to give the Cat a fair review. The Cat is a great race bike and trail bike in one. If you go to the Cat homepage, read the review that Zap wrote. His opinions represent the quality ride of this frame.

Dealing with Larry is the best part. He is willing to answer any questions that you have about his product and understands that in many cases purchasing a frame over the internet is a leap of faith. Check out the monthly specials for a great deal! As for me, all I ask for are disk brake tabs in the future!

Purchased At:   Straight from Larry

Thompson Stem
IRC Mythos blackwall

Submitted by Mark a Racer from Oakville Ontario

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2001

Strengths:    Climbing climbing climbing! and of course seated pedaling and sprinting are fantastic, super stiff laterally. One pivot...NO MAINTENANCE!!!

Weaknesses:    Needs to be sent to Catamount every 2-3 years or so for pivot overhaul.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up to a previous review. After replacing my previous Catamount with a Rocky Mountain T.O., I'm back! I just placed an order for a Superlight with Larry at Catamount. At first I thought the Rocky was perfect, but after 1 year riding and racing the Rocky Mountain, I began to realize that the Catamount had alot of things going for it that the Rocky and many multi-pivot FS bikes don't. For one, its STIFF, the BB is stiffer than a hard tail, just look at the triangulated swing arm!, it climbs like no bike I've ever owned, and the rear wheel digs in on any type of climbing. Stand up and give'er and the rear wheel hooks up and you go. , stay seated and you get a magic carpet ride. I cant say the same for the Rocky. Maintenance is also worth noting. After many evenings servicing squeaky and loose pivots on the Rocky, I really came to appreciate the simplicity of the Cat. No maintenance, no squeaks, no loose bolts, solid and reliable. For these reasons, I ordered another, plus they are the best deal in Mountain biking. I ordered a frame without the shock, and plan to use a Fox Float RC for weight reasons, although Larry offers a Marzocchi rear shock that will probably out-live 5 fox shocks. I'm hoping for a 5.5 lb frame with shock and that pretty sweet. Give Larry a call and see what I mean, his prices will amaze you! Thanks again Larry!

Purchased At:   Catamountcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Older Catamount, Pro flex's, Rocky Mountain T.O.

Bike Setup:   Will be set up with '01 X-Fly 100, XTR, Hope C2 front disk, Easton Monkey Lite

Submitted by warren a Cross Country Rider from NH USA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2000

Strengths:    light, handles awesome, a real head turner, low maintance single pivot design, climbs great, easy to haul because it's so ligh , catamount bikes are hand built in colorado

Weaknesses:    me lol actually the shocks are old, its a three year old bike with concept shocks

Bottom Line:
awesome bike i got it cheep cause my dads friend races and decided to go roadie cause he doesnt want to hurt himself and cause he likes it over all awesome bike

Favorite Trail:   Shaw Trail so far

Purchased At:   friend

Bike Setup:   XTR and race face parts with rock shox delux rear shock and concept front shock

Submitted by Hanny a Cross Country Rider from College Park, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Strengths:    Frame::well built, nice details, cheap, many options on powder paint, lightweight(choose your component wisely), cool rear Marzocchi shocks, a classic, make heads turn.
Performance::climb great, sprint like a hard tail, precise control on the curve, comfortable on bumps.

Weaknesses:    Not too light.

Bottom Line:
One ultimate URT bike.

Want to buy FS bike? Please consider this bike.

Get the frame (while they are on specials) and consult Larry on the setup. That's all.

Favorite Trail:   any trails

Purchased At:   direct from www.catamountcycles.com (Larry himself)

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll, Specialized FSR, Trek Hard Tails, Bianchis, Klein Mantra

Bike Setup:   16"Frame Lime Yellow, XT cogs, XT hubs, SUN RIMS, IRC Methos XC Kevlar, SRAM9.0 Rder, LX Fder, LX hollowtech crank, SRAM9.0SL Shifter, Chris King nothreatset, Manitou SX-R, Avid Speed Dial levers, Proshift Brakes, Kore 135x10 stem, Kore handlebarr, NS clipless pedals.

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2000

Strengths:    Larry's hands on approach to bike sales and service, despite being on the other side of the globe.
URT

Weaknesses:    Lack of an ashtray

Bottom Line:
After many exchanging many emails with Larry about 12 months ago, I dived in and had Larry UTS me one. Despite reading some reviews regarding second rate packing my machine arrived in spotless condition, despite being handled by ham fisted customs officials.
Bike built up beautifully with a little bit of hestitation regarding front derail. placement (Larry put me at ease). Seatpost size I see as no big problem as my last bike had a one off size.
My bike has ridden beautifully from day one, it sprints better than my previous hardtails and seated climbing is exceptional with minimal bobbing.
While perhaps not a machine built with downhilling in mind
it descends in a very stable manner which inspires confidence.
After 12 months the frame has no flex in the pivot and is as solid as the first ride. The only thing I bought for my bike in the last 12 months is a new chain.
Good work Larry!!

Purchased At:   Direct from Larry

Similar Products Used:   Hardtails

Bike Setup:   Bomber atom bomb and a mix of XT, XTR, Syncros, Kore.

Submitted by Leo a Cross Country Rider from the hospital

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2000

Strengths:    design, finish, rear shock, value

Weaknesses:    so far: the weight but who cares, rr. der. hanger was re-tapped requiring some lock-tight, seat post size.

Bottom Line:
First, my few initial gripes: the Millenium frame is advertised with a weight of just over 5lbs., what this doesn't include is the 3lbs. shock. Making the frame/shock weight 8+ lbs., it's not a big deal, but my potential XC race bike is now the ultimate trail bike. Also, during assembly the rear der. hanger had been re-tapped prior to shipping, I had to use lock-tight to keep the rr. der. in place, it's fine, no problems now though. I also really wish that I could use a 27.2mm seat post instead of the 26.6 mm size post (Larry sells a Kalloy post for $25.00). Those are my only worry-about-its to date.

Thus far I have been very impressed with the Catamount in several ways. First, Larry has been outstanding when it came to answering questions and he has also been very patient when my neurotic dorky self would call and do things like change which size frame I wanted or ask when it would get here. Second, the finish on my frame was perfect on the entire bike except for a small spot on the bottom of the bottom bracket about the size of a pencil eraser, even at that, it's only a slight smudge which doesn't matter at all. Third, the construction looks good, clean welds and good lines throughout, these are well-built frames.

So far, I've been tickled to death while riding the Catamount. Fast twisty downhill sections are stupid fun, it handles very well in technical stuff, goes where I point it then goes where I really wanted to go even if I didn't know it yet. No serious climbing attempted as of yet so I dunno about that, but I do know this; if you're on the fence as to whether or not you should get a FS bike, or which one to get, take a long hard look at the Catamount. The URT design is the best type of bike for riding up hills and down the other side, over jumps, logs, through creeks, over rocks, roots, mud, bridges, you name it. Make no mistake, this is not a DH or freeriders bike, it's best suited towards us folks who like to have a blast for hours at a time in the woods on crazy trails. The best trailbike around (is mine). It's a simple layout with only one pivot (Keep It Simple Stupid). I ride with a shyt eating grin on this bike. The travel does stay active while standing, and I can barely notice a teency bit of bob when pedaling hard, that's only cause I was REALLY paying attention to it. If you just ride then you won't even notice it in the least.

I have yet to need any kind of servicing or have any real issues with my bike (which, because of the age of my bike, means nothing really), but when I do, the true worth of this small frame manufacturer from Colorado will be put to the test. IMO, if the company stands behind their product in every way, even the grey areas, then they will have a customer for life. If they don't then who knows what I may do with my $$$ in the future. I'll be reviewing this bike again in several months after I've thoroughly abused it, until then I'm giving it 5 flaming ganja spleefs!!!!

Favorite Trail:   puke point

Purchased At:   direct from Larry

Similar Products Used:   hard tails only

Bike Setup:   xt everything, marzocchi z4, spox spinergy whls, Chris King, Easton CT2 lowrise bar, yada yada, bike weight=28 lbs.

Submitted by John Danalis a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane Australia

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2000

Strengths:    A proven classic. Timeless design. One pivot point. Stiff, strong, light, plush, fast...I could go on and on.

Weaknesses:    Not being able to lower seatpost radically.

Bottom Line:
It's a big leap of faith purchasing a mountain bike over the internet from a fairly obscure overseas company. But, I'm happy to report that my faith was well placed with Catamount. I remember reading a Catamount review back in '96 and thinking that this was the bike for me. The tyranny of distance,the poor Australian/US dollar exchange rate ,and a general lack of funds however, put that dream out of my reach. So when it came time to upgrade late last year I was delighted to find Catamount was still going strong and that the basic design had not changed much at all. Lets get this straight, I'm not a luddite by any means, but I do hold fast to the theory that if it ain't broke, don't stuff about with it. I also get fed up with the endless flow of "new and improved!" hype that spews from the major bike corporations. I put a lot of research into this purchase, and and I have been well rewarded. The Catamount is a Classic, in both performance and looks. Dealing with part-owner, Larry, was a delight. The Cat cost me just over $3000 Australian
(including freight,import duties and sales tax),that's no small change for me, especially with a baby on the way. Larry understood this and never rushed or pressured me. He promptly and politely answered my many e-mail queries and dumb questions before I took the plunge. His service was just as good after my Cat arrived one month latter. I had a few set-up and fit problems which Larry helped me sort out successfully. Later,the chain-suck plate popped it's rivets during a ride and mashed up the middle ring. I got my local shop to refit it but it fell off again and I havn't bothered to replace it. If you keep your Cat in tune you wont need it. I've had my Cat for 8 months now and it just gets better with each ride. It does take a while to set up, particularly the SID shocks (which are enough to give you "option anxiety"), but once you get it right,...it's a magic carpet ride!
The only downside with the Cat is that you can't drop the seatpost when negotiating those drop-offs from hell. I think the other reviews are all pretty accurate as to how the Cat performs. It's not a bike for the extreme downhill set.
The Catamount is for the cross country racer, the social rider, the all day single-track journeyman. And it won't squeek !

Favorite Trail:   Still Searching

Purchased At:   Direct from Catamount

Similar Products Used:   Specialised FSR. Iron Horse G Spot. KHS Soft Tail. Plus many hard tails.

Bike Setup:   Catamount Millennium Frame (colours- white upper, black lower), XT.SID SL fork. SID rear. Truvativ Stylos cranks. Rolf Wheelset. Cosmos saddle. Roost Riser bars.

Submitted by Miles Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2000

Strengths:    I just bought this bike from a friend of a friend and I love it so far. It handles very well on all trails I've tried: downhill, uphill, etc. The shock is nice and cushiony and I can just sit back and let the bike take the hits for me. The frame seems very sturdy and its simple design warrants appproval. Nice and light for a full suspension.

Weaknesses:    For those who want to stand up and pedal (on the uphills), this bike is not for you. Its a sit down ride, for sure, due to the shock placement. The cockpit is a little bit crunched but I think I can fix that with a new stem and bar set up. The seat post can not be adjusted beyond the make of the frame, so that could be a bummer.

Bottom Line:
If you are the kind of rider who wants a nice light and fast bike that can still function smoothly on rocky and technical sections of trail, this bike is it! A great cross country bike. I thought it would be kind of sketchy on the rough downhills, but I rode it last weekend and had no complaints; all in all, I'm stoked on it.

Favorite Trail:   technical singletrack