Cannondale 2001 Super V 500 Full Suspension Bike

4.78/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by stoneclimber a Cross Country Rider from Valencia CA. USA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent frame geometry infinitly upgradable but why bother? I own a $6000 carbon and I ride my V every day it is that sweet. @ Slick Rock the bike is flawless, mountain terrain the bike does anything you ask, I have made dozens of 4-5 foot jumps with the V no problem.

Weaknesses:    The brakes but; that said, the brakes on the bike were state of the art when the bike was built and aftermarket disc brakes are affordable and bolt right on.

Bottom Line:
Excellent frame geometry infinitely upgradable but why bother? I own a $6000 carbon and I ride my V every day it is that sweet. @ Slick Rock the bike is flawless, mountain terrain the bike does anything you ask, I have made dozens of 4-5 foot jumps with the V no problem. It has bounced off ten thousand rocks and so far no mechanical problems other than me breaking the front D shifter.
I am buying another V and plan to give it to my GF so she can ride along with me.

Favorite Trail:   mountains

Purchased At:   A gift from a busine

Similar Products Used:   CD F700
FSR Pro Carbon

Bike Setup:   Mavick Wheels, kevlar tires, XT hardware, I use tire liners and swear by them.

Submitted by Jeff Dec a Cross Country Rider from Plantation

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2006

Strengths:    Update to a previous post, This bike still rocks

Weaknesses:    None that I've encountered but I'm not a weight weenie, still concerned about the rear swingarm but no problems yet.

Bottom Line:
This is a great ride, stock it needed a little component changes but what bike doesn't, furthermore what makes a bike unique but "Subtle" changes, now it's a steed,

Favorite Trail:   Markham

Purchased At:   Wheeler Dealer

Bike Setup:   All XTR with Magura discs, Continental Vertical pros on Mavic 317 disc rims, Easton bar and seatpost, FSA crankset, Kore stem, Flightdeck to monitor things, Time carbon pedals, Rock Shocks SID Dual air

Submitted by Nick Thrasher a Weekend Warrior from Mcguire AFB, NJ U.S.

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2002

Strengths:    Sexy frame with smooth welds. Very intimidating to those who like to buy cheapie wannabe "mtb's". Very smooth Super Fatty M fork. Easily upgradable.

Weaknesses:    Slight creaking noise while standing up and pedaling. Front DR doesn't shift well and is a pain to adjust. The "hawk" seat that came with it is hard as hell. Doesn't fit me very well, but I'm 6'2", 225lbs and the frame is only a large.

Bottom Line:
I don't know jack about mountain bikes, this is the first one that I have actually ever owned that I could actually call a mountain bike compared to the cheapy wal-mart 12 speed I had when I was a youngin'. As far as I know this is a very comfy ride, except for the seat it came with. I don't know if that would degrade against the bike itself since I don't know if it is stock, it's a hawk seat but it's extremely firm and too firm for my fat butt. I also have to lean over quite a bit to get to the handlebars, but I think it's because I should have found an xtra-large but I thought $570 was a damn good deal. I'm very proud of the way it looks, a very sleek and very kickass design. Very effective. The oversized body tubes don't allow for mounting of any accessories. The fatty m fork makes up for this for the fact the suspension is on top of the fork blades just below the head tube. Which is a very smooth and extremely responsive. Downside is that it's very soft when it comes to heavy hits and comes very close to bottoming out. The rear swingarm seems to have a lot of travel in it as far as I know. The battleship grey paintjob is very nice and of course you have disc brake mounts available. It has been used by other riders for at least 4 or 5 months maybe and rides perfect now except for the front DR being a shimano LX. This particular DR seems to not have very much travel back and forth, or it may be that the crank is too wide for it...I wouldn't say that it degrades the bike itself any, except for the selection of an LX which may be the problem. I am currently upgrading my rims to mavic 223/317 with coda expert disc hubs and disc brakes. Though the current V brakes work perfectly fine. It is a very solid bike. I recommend it to anyone who isn't going to be a professional rider but still wants an extreme amount of satisfying performance.

Purchased At:   A guy on ebay

Bike Setup:   LX Front DR, XT rear DR, deore rapidfire shifters, weinmann zac 19 rims, notos xc tires, hawk seat, XT hubs

Submitted by Scott Hansen a Cross Country Rider from Ellicott City Md

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Strengths:    awesome frame design, excellant parts (lx front xt rear)
super fatty head m front fork, fox vanilla coil in rear. CODA hubs handlebars etc.
CANNONDALE NAME

Weaknesses:    only problem that has occured is the lx front deraileur hasnt been working right, wont shift into the bottom chainring right now and has problems getting into the top chainring. Im taking the bike to my LBS soon and the warrenty will cover the repair! i've never herd of other super v owners having this problem so my bike must be a fluke

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike, i recomend it to younger riders about my age(14-19)interested in serious xc rideing or even freeriding. I'd give the super v 4.75 chilies if i could because of the deraileur problem, but i can get that fixed easily so im not worried about it.
I got the bike at $820 on sale but its would still be a great value at the $1100 price tag not on sale.

Favorite Trail:   rockburn st. park MD

Purchased At:   princeton sports and travel

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper comp, GT avalanche 1.0, and a Treck fuel 90 (tested only)also other cheap bikes that cant compare

Bike Setup:   all stock, but i want to upgrade fork and to clipless pedals. mayby add xt front deraileur, and avid mechanical disk brakes.its a perfectly good bike with stock parts though.

Submitted by Ronaldo Dalisay a Cross Country Rider from Dededo, Guam

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2001

Strengths:    Awesome design!

Weaknesses:    The usual . . . components

Bottom Line:
Always loved the Super V design! A big plus is the fact that the frame has a lifetime warranty. Good value and quality if you're looking for a full suspension bike but don't want to pay the hefty price for full suspension Foes or Intense.

Favorite Trail:   Manengon Hills

Purchased At:   Hornet International, Inc.

Similar Products Used:   Giant Warp DS-3

Bike Setup:   Full XT, baby!

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Plantation, FL.

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2001

Strengths:    Great all around bike with a few minor adjustments. I weigh in at 210 and have an extra large frame and it fits me perfect.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any yet except for some componetry.

Bottom Line:
I love my Super V, I've raced it, dogged it, jumped it, and drenched it and it still keeps on keepin on. Once I found the right combination of parts, I haven't got a single thing to say wrong about it. I only wish I could give it ten chilli's

Favorite Trail:   Marham

Purchased At:   Wheeler Dealer

Similar Products Used:   Trek and Specialized

Bike Setup:   FSA Crankset & BB, Shimano XTR Parallel push linear brakes, SRAM 9.0 levers, Profile ultra riser bar, Oury grips, Panaracer Fire XC Tires, Fi'zi:k Titanium saddle, Specialized clip in pedals

Submitted by Donny a Cross Country Rider from Pittsfield, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent frame and rear suspension.

Weaknesses:    Front suspension and Coda components.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike, wonderful introduction to full suspension. I bought it off a kid who only rode it twice, no mud, no grease and still had the size sticker. Unfortunately you'll have to drop about $100 bucks on replacement parts right out of the gate. I needed to change the HeadShok spring and saddle before my first ride. But, on the positive side, its a wicked bike on any terrain. The turning radius is insane and the bike handles awesome on the steep downhills. The heavier weight hasnt bothered me at all. I dont notice any difference between climbing with the FS vs climbing on a hardtail, other than uphill logs/rocks/technical sections are easier now. If you're looking for a great frame and you're a first-timer to Full Suspension this is the bike for you. 4 flames only cause of the components.

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F300 Hardtail.

Bike Setup:   HeadShok Super Fatty M, Shimano LX shifters, LX front and rear derailleurs, LX crank, Shimano cantilever brakes, Coda hubs and rims.

Submitted by Jake a Weekend Warrior from Hunstville Alabama

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2001

Strengths:    Semi-Light,Suspension,Handling,Cannondale

Weaknesses:    Front Derail...Brakes

Bottom Line:
Great Bike. It does anything i want it to do. I do plan on replacing the front derail because sometimes it give me some problems. The bike does well on climbs and can take anything you throw its way. I also plan on moving up to disc brakes, v-brakes just dont cut it in the mud.

I recomend this bike to anyone, beginer through intermediate. It should be a good bike for alot of people, for along time.

I still give it 5 Out Of 5 Flamin thingies.
Deffinitly worth the money.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Orange Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Nothin

Bike Setup:   Stock,Welgo Clippless

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from South Florida

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2001

Strengths:    The frame, great handling, decent component mix,Cannondale name

Weaknesses:    heavy weight

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great trailbike! I have been riding this bike for nearly a year on various trails, and I have had absolutely no problems. The component mix seems to have been upgraded over prior years' models - XT rear der., LX front der. The saddle, which I think is a Selle Royal Hawk, is suprisingly comfortable.

This is a great bike for a beginner through intermediate rider. The bike has really allowed me to learn the sport of mountain biking and go to the next level. The bike will not hinder your progress as a mountain biker, but will allow you to go further in the sport. Very good downhiller, probably due to the weight. As far as climbing, unless your a racer it won't matter. Although the bike is on the heavy side, the extra weight keeps the tires on the ground on steep climbs.

I have considered swapping out components or moving up to the Jekyll, but then I ride this bike, and I realize that I don't need anything more for a great ride. As components fail, I'll replace with lighter, better ones, but until then, I give this baby 5 flamin' doodies!

Bike Setup:   Stock with Shimano M-515 clipless pedals