Cannondale 2000 Super V Raven 800 Full Suspension Bike

MSRP : $1950.99

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Headshok Super Fatty DL, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by JD a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2014

Strengths:    Extremely cool design!

Weaknesses:    USA made? Why would anyone make bikes in the USA?

Don't they know bicycles are supposed to be made in Taiwan?

Stupid Cannondale!

Bottom Line:
The Raven is always a head turner on the trails. They are too cool for school! I have had 5 Ravens both series 1 and 2 and I love them all! They ride great on the trails and handle very well. I wish they still made them this nice!

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Carmel

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Strengths:    cheap (for me---the shop my bro works at was switchin the frame to a jeckyll, so i got the frame for less than they paid for it)
awesome climbing ability
when i go on road rides, i wanna take this bike instead of my road bike 'cause of the looks i get

Weaknesses:    no componentry stuff is bad at the moment (mainly because i have no CODA stuff on my ride---just SRAM 9.0 and avid), but the fork is crap. The fork tops out with a bang, so right now it's getting fixed (that's actually not supposed to happen), but soon im goin lefty.

Bottom Line:
if you can find one nowadays, get it. the frame is beautiful, it rides great, and it climbs like you'd never believe. I guess once you get the CODa parts off it, you'd have a bike you can race.

If i could, i'd give this 7 flamin chilis, but the highest i can go is 5.

Purchased At:   my brother's shop

Similar Products Used:   K2 attack 3.0, Cannondale Scalpel

Bike Setup:   Sram 9.0 group, Bontrager ceramic wheels, Avid arch rival brakes, and the usual

Submitted by Zion Rasta a Cross Country Rider from Wilmington, NC

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff frame, Light, Geometry, Fast, Too Fast, Climbing ability.

Weaknesses:    1. Jealouse Friends. I think this bike it's so cool that has ended some friendships. I am tired of hearing - It's too expensive, radical, eye candy, crap!
2. Fox float - The suspension on this bike is way too active for that shock. You may get away with it on the Fuel 90 or any 4-link duallies.
Solution - upgrade to Fox Float RL, now we are talking
3. Coda components - I got the bike for the frame
4. Unhappy wife - Paying more attention to the bike, if you know what I mean...
5. Since the bike is so good, I am getting really bad at picking lines. I just go for what ever is on the way and you don't even feel the trail.

Bottom Line:
Ok, here is the scoop:
On my first review I was concerned with the recalls. No more. I have done 5' drops, no problem. The bike rides awesome. I am 185 lbs. The frame amplifies every little creak and cuak noise. So What!!!!, I love it, it sounds like a train comming your way.
Now the bike is approaching the $4,000 mark. You can tell by the componetry. Worth every penny though.
This bike could be the best duallie out there (Sorry Gary Fisher). Cannondale probably stopped making it because the bike is hard to manufacture and yields a lower profit margin.
The trick is finding the best set up.
1. rear shock - slowest dapping possible at 280 psi, add remote lock out if you can
2. Stem - At least -5deg, this will improve your climbing ability.
3. Race face BB - Improve stiffness

My opinion is that the Jekyll does not cut it. Read the latest Mountainbike action mag (march 02). Got last place vs Sugar3, Fuel 90, FXR
If you can still get a hold of a RAVEN 2 frame, get it!
If you get one avoid the lefty fork. It is a pound hevier than the Fatty SL. The Bike store gimmick is the it weights less because is only one leg. That is BS, you can lift the front of the bike yourself and feel it.
Summary - best bike I have ridden so far. If yo uhave any questions or have a similar bike please e-mail me.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Road and New Light, Raleigh, NC

Purchased At:   Brick Wheels Detroit, MI

Similar Products Used:   Sugar 2, Fuel 90, GT i-drive, Jekyll

Bike Setup:   Raven2 frame, Race Face LP crank, Race Face BB, Time Composite pedals, XTR rear derailleur, Mavic Crossride ceramic wheels, Thomson Elite seatpost, Fatty SL (~1/2lb lighter than the Fatty DL stock), Avid Mag levers, Avid Arch 50 Mag, Panaracer XC k, XT cassette, Serfas Ti seat, Kore Elite handlebars, XT shifters, Profile Design Stem, salsa grips - 24 lbs

Submitted by Zion Rasta a Weekend Warrior from Wilmington, NC USA Baby!!!

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, light Frame
Geometry

Weaknesses:    Crap Coda parts. The problem is that Cannondale needs to put crappy componetry to make the bikes affordable. Replace all the stock parts and then you have a nice FS bike.
I am worried about the 2 recalls on the Raven2 frame (seat clamps and BB joint). Corrected by Bike store with correction kit.

Bottom Line:
The only thing stock in this bike is the frame and the rear shock. Cannondale has a tendency to juice up their bikes on the web page. Somehow they managed to send bikes to the dealers that never match the specs. The Recall stuff is scary. I will ride it hard, hope I do not kill myself. Got the bike for a super deal and had all the parts already on my now obsolete 2000 caad2 F400. I have to admit, that was a nice bike. But, you cannot beat FS. Had the caad2 to match my ridding style. The Caad2 frame is bomb proof. Let's see how this Raven behaves. The Raven weights about 25lbs with that setup. There are horrible reviews about the Fox shocks. We'll see...... One more comment. Screw disc breaks!!!!!! Ride classic, ride light, ride style, ride V brakes. Unless you are a Slalom downhill racer, then D brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Route of the Conquistadors, Costa Rica

Purchased At:   Brick Wheels, Michigan

Similar Products Used:   Sugar2, GT idrive 2.0, Specialized FXR

Bike Setup:   Raven2 frame, Full shimano XT Drivetrain, Kore GASS Ti pedals(250g), Mavic XT 517 wheels, Thomson Elite seatpost, Fatty SL (~1/2lb lighter than the Fatty DL stock), XT hollow crank, ES-70 BB, Avid Mag levers, Avid Arch 50, IRC Mythos XC k, XT cassette, Serfas Ti seat, Kore Elite handlebars, salsa grips

Submitted by Philip Icke a Cross Country Rider from Grayshott

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Strengths:    Appeal to begineers and experienced riders. Mixture of fabulously plushy ride with tight fast handling. Super rigid and light carbon fibre frame. Rigidity gives immediate transfer of power from pedal to rear-wheel, great for acceleration and climbing ability. Looks are to taste but I love them.

Weaknesses:    !!!FRAME FAILURE!!!
Creaky rear swingarm and cranks
Front fork maintenance

Bottom Line:
I had fallen in love with this bike over the last two years and it had done a lot of trail riding with me - all over the UK as well as to the Alps around Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, South France. Until this weekend, the bike had completely transformed my biking experience allowing me all the speed-of-handling of a good hardtail with the comfort and climbing ability of supple full suspension. 10 out of 10 to this point.

I did have some minor problems with squeaky cranks etc and some misgivings over the maintenance of the front shock but nothing worth knocking points off for until disaster struck.

FRAME FAILURE - When cycling on the flat under no apparent stress to the bike, the frame collapsed beneath me leaving me sprawling in the dirt. The bottom bracket had come clean out of the carbon fibre mainframe, apparently failing purely on the bond between the two (though some slight tearing also to the carbon mainframe). As I had hit the ground, I also sheared the clips from the seat post. Again there was tearing visible on the carbon fibre.

I have no idea where this story will go as am about to pursue through my dealer and Cannonade. To be honest, I doubt I will be taking another Raven without great assurances from Cannondale and had always wondered about sticking with SuperVs or Jeckylls when first looking into the bike.

Tough to give an overall mark, as I know that had I not been one of the unlucky ones with a manufacturing fault I would have given 5/5. In light of all this though...

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Drop, Hindhead Punchbowl

Purchased At:   MudDock Cycles, Bristol

Similar Products Used:   Marin/Heckler/Trek

Bike Setup:   Brake upgrade to Shimano from CODA. Pedal upgrade to better CODAs. Riser bars.

Submitted by Frank Rooney a Weekend Warrior from Victoria

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    Reasonably light, Strong frame, Great rear suspension

Weaknesses:    Brakes, BB, Handlebars, tyres, Cranks basically anything made by CODA!!!

Bottom Line:
Basically dudes don't belive the hype this bike is good if you have another spare $1999 for parts! I have changed the Handlebars, tires, seat and post, cranks, chain, brakes, wheels, hubs, bb, cables and its just starting to look and act like the sales pitch. Even the bade at the front felloff for christ sake buy some thing that's going to last! Do yourselves a big favour and buy a motor bike, its cheaper in the long run.

Favorite Trail:   Bullengarook

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Cecil Walker

Similar Products Used:   Giants, GT's and a Norco

Bike Setup:   Before or after I changed every CODA component!

Submitted by Eric Wishart a Cross Country Rider from Enterprise, Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2001

Strengths:    This bike has the stiffest frame I've ever riden. The front
and rear suspension work well together. The stearing is so
precise and fast, it's scary.

Weaknesses:    Im not to hot on the seat post clamping system. Even though
the problem was fixed after the recall, I still dont trust it. Like a lot of other people, Im experiencing some creeking in the bottom bracket. Also, crappy tires.

Bottom Line:
Im 225lbs. and I ride this bike hard. It has never once broke down or let me down on any ride. This is a bike that
you can purchase fairly inexpensive and is worth upgrading
over the years. Its my opinion that this is also the most
beautiful bike ever produced. One final note, it is a
Cannondale, so how can you go wrong?

Favorite Trail:   Cow Creek trail/Snake River

Purchased At:   Cannondale dealership in Hood River Oregon

Similar Products Used:   The only other full suspension bike I've owned was a 1998
Gary Fisher Level Betty FH4. It was much heavier.

Bike Setup:   The bike is stock except for the exception of a water cage,
bottle, seat bag, and some lizzard skins. I will be adding
disk brakes this summer.

Submitted by Tim Kleeger a Cross Country Rider from Pine Plains, NY

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2001

Strengths:    Quick steering. Agile f/r suspension. I agree with the guy who said it puts a smile on; the bike just feels great and is confidence inspiring. Unique design.

Weaknesses:    Needs mechanic experienced with C-dales, but thats not been an issue. Rear wheel would not stay true ever, and got 800 miles before retired.

Bottom Line:
I worried about pogo effect needlessly. It climbs like a freakin goat, and I can do it all day. I do ride with experienced hardtail riders, and it really comes down to rider ability with today's rear suspensions as to which is better. I am riding better than ever, having more fun, cleaning all sorts. I don't lock-out ever. This was alot of money but a value, well spent.

Favorite Trail:   Green Mountains

Purchased At:   Coxackie bike shop

Similar Products Used:   I tested Trek's, Fisher Sugars and first gens (?), Giant, KHS, Klein, Mongoose. It came down to a steel Marin, or an M2 Stumpjumper, the Raven had the best feel.

Bike Setup:   200 lbs rear, 175 front. I weigh 170. Just switched to a 1 inch riser, from a straight. Crossbow seat, looking for a saddle to keep the boys happier on the seated climbs. Nite rider Digital pro-6, and head trip. Basically stock. I love Wildgripper's, now I have Panaracer's which are equally good.

Submitted by Dave S a Cross Country Rider from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight dual suspension, stiff frame, super quick, agile comfortable ride.

Weaknesses:    Thought the frame resonance noise would be a problem but actually don't mind it even over the roughest stuff.

Bottom Line:
I used to be a "die hard-tail" rider who thought that dualies, especially cross country duallies were soft, well they are and I'm converted. This bike rides faster than my F2000 uphills (bumpy climbs especially.) To borrow a well known phrase this bike "Floats like a Butterfly and stings like a Bee" you literally feel like you are riding inches off the ground its that smooth.
The set up even with discs must put it at around 24 pounds so you can get to the top easy and then enjoy those downhills so much more - I loved the F2000 but hey I'm getting older and now I love the rear shock more.
The comment about the seat stay's was a problem and this was all fixed under recall so to get the points up on this bike I'll give it 5 for value and 5 overall. The value rating helped by the fact that I've almost speced it up to the Raven 2000 level by swapping bits over.
If you want the ultimate in a cross country bike design and company that have pushed the envelope go the Raven.....
Only problem now is that I can't improve anymore - hey maybee I could actually save some money now (after I've paid of the credit card of course!)

Favorite Trail:   Royal National Park

Purchased At:   Cranks Bike Shop - Neutral Bay

Similar Products Used:   First duallie! owned F500 and then F2000 hardtails - not turning back after this ride.

Bike Setup:   Brought the Black / Yellow Raven 800 and did some swapping of parts from my 1 year old F2000 ('99 model) -put on Coda comp disc brakes and Mavic 223 Disc Wheels, XTR rear, XT front, Hutchinson Aligator gold 1.8 Tyres, Thompson seat post, Orange/Black Selle Flite Gel saddle, and Easton EA70 bars with 2" flat stem.

Submitted by max suba a Cross Country Rider from princeton , nj

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2000

Strengths:    The head shock has helped me get over much bigger obstacles that nature has placed in my way. the rear shock does the same. the shifting is quite fluid and is a big help on those moments when a change is needed quick.

Weaknesses:    At first the bottom bracket was creakin but after the third time of leaving it with the dealer, (they had to change out the spindle for the cranks) i now have no more creaks, i cant have a bottle cage because the screws were set in place by the epoxy they used to fixe the problem with the seat post clamps, oh well! bought a camel back.

Bottom Line:
well after gettin the bike tweaked and twodded it is now a superior riding machine, the logs and small european vehicles that i can roll over is astounding.
i am very happy so till the frame cracks ride hard but ride safe!!

Favorite Trail:   sauerlands-princeton , nj

Similar Products Used:   none, this is my first full suspension and i love it!

Submitted by peter mccann a Racer from houston, tx

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2000

Strengths:    lightweight, stiff steering

Weaknesses:    frame and componant failures

Bottom Line:
This was my fourth and last C-dale. I had problems with it from ride one. The first time I had it out, the right crank arm kept moving on the BB spindle (bad fit). Decided to upgrade to RF cranks but found they don't clear the swingarm on this bike and went to XT. 1st problem solved. Next the headshock developed a leak. Seal replaced by LBS-2nd problem solved. Took a day off work and a 4 hour round trip to my favorite hill country trail. Three miles out I got a little wide on a turn, hit some loose stuff and layed it over. Heard a loud pop about the time my butt hit the ground, looked over and there were my seat and post laying on the ground about 3 feet away (clamps included). The spine of the frame had failed where the clamps attach, leaving jagged magnesium protrusions on the seat mast. Thankfully, my nutsack was'nt cut open. C-dale informed me that that I caused the frame failure by over torqing the seat clamps (the seat itself showed no abrasion or sign of impact)and assured me that this was not a common problem. Sun and ski pulled a bike out of another store and swapped the frame. Soon after, I was reading reviews on this site and discovered that I wasn't the only poor soul this had happened to (not a common problem?). I decided that this was not acceptable, seat clamp torque be dambed, and requested a refund. Sun and ski handled all of the above in a fraction of the time it would have taken C-dale (see my review of the '99 sv 1000). C-dale has since recalled the frame (see their site) and is recommending injecting glue into the seat mast as a fix. This would have done absolutly nothing to prevent the failure I experienced (the magnesium spine itself failed). Hats off to Sun n Ski on their CS. Maybe C-dale should redirect their efforts to compete with the japanese in the dirt bike market toward getting their bikes right!

Favorite Trail:   twisting singletrac (downhill preferably)