Cannondale 2000 Super V Raven 4000SX Full Suspension Bike

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Headshok Lefty DLR, 4.0" travel fork

Submitted by Howie Shultz a Cross Country Rider from 350 Carogin Dr. State College, PA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2001

Strengths:    Lefty fork, light weight, fox rear shock, lock out front and rear, it can take big hits and ride like a freerider yet climbs exceptionally well in and out of the saddle

Weaknesses:    hard to set up a computer/odometer with the Lefty, whaaaa
(they only last me a few rides anyway until I crash and burn) On my other Raven I had problems with the FOX rear, shock and hope that this one will not blow up on me, if you have to pay full retail it is pretty expensive

Bottom Line:
If you like to do aggressive technical freeriding and also cross country riding this is a great bike. You have the advantages of a full suspension with 4 inches of travel without the weight penalty normally associated with dualies. I ride mainly technical singlestrack and it allows you to clean some pretty difficult stuff. I also used it in a cross country race and it was super. The lockout in both the front and rear enabled me to climb efficiently and then you can use the suspension to bomb downhill. It is a great bike!

Favorite Trail:   Tussey Mountain Ridge Trail

Similar Products Used:   Raven

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT hydraulic disc brakes, Shimano 747 clipless, Mavic 519 wheels, everything else XTR except SRAM Attack grip shifts

Submitted by Rick Henry a Cross Country Rider from Newark,DE

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2001

Strengths:    Lefty headshok,carbon fiber frame,disc brakes

Weaknesses:    None so far mechanically,although it attracts alot of attention on the trail's and I don't like that.
(I'm out there to ride and have fun and don't like being stared and pointed at because of what i'm riding.Maybe I'm just funny looking and don't know it.)

Bottom Line:
This is my second Lefty/3rd disc equipped bike.I bought this bike used from my LBS.It was a shop bike used for racing
and as a demo.I rode it when it was new and several times while the shop owned it,and I was surprised how well it
held up after a year and a half of abuse by many different riders.The carbon frame has a few marks from where the cables rub it,but it,and the whole bike, still looks pretty new.The Lefty is an awesome shok and although I have heard of some leaky seal problems with the Coda brakes ,I've been really happy with mine and they have been trouble free.It's a totally awesome ride and I would buy another one in a minute, but would probably have a hard time paying the full $4000.00 price after getting this one for $1200.00
I've ridden this bike in all conditions from blazing hot summer days to snowy days in the teens and it's my favorite.

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill,MD

Purchased At:   Wooden Wheels

Similar Products Used:   SuperV700,SuperV900 with Magura Louise discs,Cannondale F900SX hardtail,Specialized FSR Comp

Bike Setup:   All XTR drivetrain, Easton monkey lite riser bar,Rapidfire shifters,Time carbon pedals,Coda competition disc brakes.

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from Calgary

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2000

Strengths:    Lefty Suspension, Sun wheels,XTR set-up, relatively light and as stiff as it gets!

Weaknesses:    No rapidfire shifters with the Competition disk set-up. Coda saddle went to the garbage bin, still fighting with the Coda pedals .. might join the saddle soon. And of course the $$$$$$$.

Bottom Line:
This bike needed some tweeking at first, disk brakes had to be replaced, got water in my LEfty (if you loose one of those plastic things holding the rubber protector of the fork, run to your shop to get new ones and ask for a couple in extra). I had problems climbing, couldn't keep the bloody front wheel on the ground, all solved by simply flipping the stem at the recommandation of my technician at the shop. All those problems got handle without questions asks by my local shop, excellent service.
Now, the bike runs like a dream! I can ride faster than ever before, just need to bring the fitness up to the level!

By the way, I have my Cordless Cateye speedo installed on the rear wheel with the monitor screwed to the frame at the place of a bottle. Works fine with me.

This bike rocks, can't wait for next week-end!

Favorite Trail:   Elbow Loop

Similar Products Used:   SuperV 3000, Gary Fisher Cronus

Bike Setup:   All dress, XTR components, LEfty , Comp. Disks & Gripshift and a new Selle Italia Trans Am MAX for my soar butt

Submitted by Doug Myers a Downhiller from West Hartford,CT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2000

Strengths:    Light, full XTR components, All air set up This bike Rocks!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Nothing, This bike Rocks!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
If you are willing to spend to money on a bike like this it is well worth your pay check (or two) This bike @#$%ing burns the trails up. You can take it down Mt. Snow run it XC and with the lock outs it climbs better than most full suspension bikes but it decends like a mother!!!!! In other words you got to get one this bike ROCKS!!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   FSR ,AD-10, englund 100mm, 9.0sl shifters and brakes and derailure.

Bike Setup:   Standard stuff nothing needs to be changed

Submitted by Michael from Willow Glenn, CA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2000

Strengths:    Spectacular suspension,
laser sharp and agile handling,
once the brakes are broken in you can stop on a dime.
Looks killer and performs better.
ELO (Electronic Lock Out) Kicks ass.
Full suspension with 4" travel front and 4.5" rear at 24.8lbs cool.

Weaknesses:    Price.. But for what you get it's worth saving your pennies.
Saddle could be a tad more comfortable
How the *#%$^#@% do you hook up a cyclo computer?!!!!

Bottom Line:
Althoug I've only logged about 60mi,this is by far the fastest, most easy to ride on the market today. This is my 6th Cannondale and my 12th bike overall. I used to race my SV2000 downhill and this Raven 4000SX kicks ass. You can go faster with more Confidence than ever before. If you can afford one....sell your kids and get one.

Favorite Trail:   Sunol Wilderness/ Northstar Tahoe

Similar Products Used:   Speclized FSR, Mountian Cycle, Cannondale SV2000, F4000, GT LTS, Klien Mantra.

Bike Setup:   Bone Stock

Submitted by Dave Abel a Racer from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2000

Strengths:    Most technologically advanced bike around.

Weaknesses:    Priced to be an elitest

Bottom Line:
Such a great bike. So good I had to get my fiance a Raven 2000 SL (with the competition Disc Brakes). Honestly though, the Raven 900SX is a better deal. But if you can manage a pro-deal through a supportive bike shop, you too can own one! Nothing beats this bike for an all day mountain ride!

Favorite Trail:   VA Mountains