Cannondale 2000 Super V 400 Full Suspension Bike

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Headshok Super Fatty M, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by bradE a Weekend Warrior from Council Bluffs, Ia, USA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2009

Strengths:    Oh, what a ride! Quiet. Smooth.

Weaknesses:    Worn out motor with too many miles on it....Oh wait, That would be me.

Twist shifters; A seat that fits the French guy that made it, but not me.

Bottom Line:
I am suddenly on my hands and knees and as I look back I see the SUV stopped on top of my back tire I expect the worst. I asked her to BACK OFF MY WHEEL! No wait, I yelled. Ten years of riding this SWEET green and yellow bike (just like a John Deer) with not a scratch, and now it's under a car. She made a right-on-red looking left. Hidden behind heavily tinted windows, I couldn't see if she was looking for me. She stopped. I went. Now she's parked on my back wheel and swing-arm.

After putting the wheel back in the drop-outs I checked my baby from end to end. The derailleur had taken the bullet, the hanger was broken and the wheel was gnawed by the pavement but not a scratch anywhere else. The wheel wasn't even bent.

For five years I rode this bike to work every day on the coolest trails anywhere (Mildenhall, England). Not much for vertical variation but lots of trees, switchbacks, bottomless sand and solitude. Solitude except for when you happen upon Pheasants, foxes, deer and the love-makers. Top-gear trails. I ride concrete trails now as a weekend tourist so maybe I don't exactly need the rear shock and I spend most of the time in top gear but I'll stick with my baby. Great bike. Fabulous bike. You can have it when you pry my cold dead fingers from the handlebars.

Favorite Trail:   Thetford Forest, Suffolk England

Purchased At:   Military Base

Similar Products Used:   One each: MakeMePuffyHuffy...Gone and forgotten as I peddled away on my Cannondale.

Bike Setup:   Shimano rapid fire shifters**; A better seat, the gel seat cover was sooo bad; Toe clips, no EEEEEE shoes to be found. 3/4" pipe insulation makes pretty good handgrips, and you get 3' for a buck. (**note to self: when you switch brands on the shifter, change the derailleur too)

Submitted by Gram from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2002

Strengths:    Incredibly strong frame, ive bailed 6 times my first day riding and it doesnt have a single big scratch.

Weaknesses:    none really, it sometimes has bad turning

Bottom Line:
This is a sweet bike, ive riden it every day for the last 3 months and had to take it in for a tune up once, only because the rims were bent, and the original chain broke. This is a great bike for first timers, but be aware, for you small ppl like me out there, you might wanna bring the seat a heck of a lot down, that way you get more travel. Overall, its a super sweet machine, i love it and the only thing i might do is get a better front fork.

Favorite Trail:   Bleinkisop Djs

Similar Products Used:   really crappy bikes

Bike Setup:   basically from the line with PROFILE handlebar and Primo wide-based aluminum pedals

Submitted by nez tarocks a Weekend Warrior from Frisco

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2001

Strengths:    It's a cannondale,FAT alluminum frame,nice paint job,mythos irc's,disk brake hangers.

Weaknesses:    Seat is uncomfortable for long rides,grip shift mis-shifts almost every time I jump,hubs are as cheap as they get.

Bottom Line:
The frame has potential,if you want to spend on some upgrades like a better B.B.,wheel set,more comfortable seat you'll be in the zone.Even though I may seem to degrade the bike I am still content with my purchase,and with a few upgrades i'll have the set up i'm looking for.

Favorite Trail:   Mc Claren park

Purchased At:   hornet bicycles,Guam

Similar Products Used:   This is my first FS bike...2 diamond backs,G.T.,Trek and building an Azonic.

Bike Setup:   Bone stock.

Submitted by Sam a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've now broken the rear swingarm twice. It's been replaced with no question by Cannondale the first time. I'm waiting for a reply on the second time. I've read about several other people who've had similar problems, so I feel this is a design defect. I also had to replace the rear rim, probable from being bent when the rear swingarm failed. The rear Fox shock also has failed probable from the same defect.

Submitted by graeme a Cross Country Rider from victoria/ BC / canada

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2001

Strengths:    from the neck back

Weaknesses:    stinkin' front shock . no clearance for rear tire (to size up)

Bottom Line:
in the last two months the bike has been in the shop 5 times for the front shock (fatty dl). time to upgrade
If you are over 175 lbs, get the heavy duty spring for Head Shock . It won't (should'nt) bottom out.
Thats all I have to say about that. :)

Favorite Trail:   snakes and laders

Purchased At:   n/a

Similar Products Used:   first full suspension

Bike Setup:   stock (except 2.6 rocko tire on front)

Submitted by joe tourville a Weekend Warrior from anoka,mn

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2000

Strengths:    very predictable ride.comfortable and quick

Weaknesses:    poor quality wheel set,cranks are heavy

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is this.the super v 400 is a great bike with a little upgrading. the bike feels great,but with my upgrades it feels awesome.the upgraded headshok with disk brakes provide awesome and predictable stopping power under all conditions. the bontrager wheelset used with the cont. traction pros are excellent choices for the sand and mud i ride in.. the bottom line is , ride the bike for awhile then decide on your up grades,this is a great bike with some fine tuning.

Favorite Trail:   rum river park

Purchased At:   bought used

Similar Products Used:   f-500,mongoose,ralieght, trek

Bike Setup:   bontrager race disk wheelset, hayes disk,upgraded super fatty m to super fatty dl,also a set of continental traction pro duals

Submitted by Marty a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2000

Strengths:    Main frame seems strong enough....

Weaknesses:    Swing arm is made of marshmellows! front derailleur doesn't shift any good and hits the swing arm. Head shock has a lack of travel, but was good stiff travel :)Zac 19 Rims won't stay true -

Bottom Line:
Well this is a follow up review from the one I posted at the bottom of the review page.
Since then, I put on a set of Jrt Bombers which made the bike so much more better balanced with 4" in the rear and 5" in the front - bombers rule by the way, smooth as!
Also changed the rear rim for a Mammoth and had no problems with untrue wheels since!
I have also broken 2 rear swing arms. When the first one broke, Cannondale Australia replaced it within 10days, and I got them to order me a "triangle" shaped "welded" swing arm because the "bonded" elevated chainstay swingarm is obviously an inferior product. While I have been waiting for the new triangle swingarm (10weeks) the replacement is cracking up the middle where the two sides are bonded together! I couldn't believe it! I don't jump over anything more than 3ft!
I sure hope the mainframe holds together!
The other "design problem" is that the front derailleur arm hits the swing arm, and if you adjust it so it doesn't hit - then it doesn't shift! Come on this is bad design.
Other than these problems I love riding the bike, it is so smooth downhills and real active, so it soaks up all the little bumps too! :)
It just sux going up, bobs like an empty bottle in the ocean.
Any ways, I love it. 4 chilies if the new triangle swingarm doesn't break.

Similar Products Used:   FSR Big hit, Jeckyl, XCR

Bike Setup:   JRT Bombers up front, Mammoth Rear rim, shimano clipless pedals posquito bar ends, profile stem and the rest stock

Submitted by Walter Tymczyna a Weekend Warrior from Newark, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2000

Strengths:    It's a Cannondale so you know your getting quality and at a great deal, it's even better.

Weaknesses:    Pedal straps, I took em off (hated them). Ummm the seat isn't too great either but I've gotten used to it. I'll pick up a gel seat for it.

Bottom Line:
At first I wanted to kick myself in the a$$ for picking up this bike. The shocks were new to me and it seemed way too advanced for my skill. But after riding it 3-4 times and on some pretty hardcore trails....I wouldn't trade it for anything right now. It's an awesome bike.

Favorite Trail:   Hawthorne (Bergen County, NJ)

Purchased At:   Millburn Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   none, first bike purchased

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock...

Submitted by Adam HIrschkorn a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2000

Strengths:    Everything. except the pedals

Weaknesses:    Pedals!

Bottom Line:
this bike owns

Favorite Trail:   Delta water shed

Purchased At:   White Rock Cycle

Similar Products Used:   jekyll

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Michal Oexman a Weekend Warrior from Tamuning ,Guam

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2000

Strengths:    Its a Cannondale

Weaknesses:    Its been several months since I made a report here and so far my findings are the same...one bug and its small is the Fox vanilla shock fit to tight in the mounts..thus rubbing the paint off on both sides...ugly.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and have found none I would trade it for at this time....The only bike that I would even consider trading for would be a Jekyle...I did'nt spell that right did I? And its gotta be a lefty cuz Im a fashion rider 50%
of the time. I love my bike its Yellow...with yellow rims and a yellow water bottle holder and a yellow computer...and a yellow rollamajig2 and yellow zip tyes
and more yellow on yellow later...dang don't I have something better to do....mmmm nope. Buy tis bike its cool and easy to upgrade

Favorite Trail:   Marine Drive

Purchased At:   Hornet Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Nothing now...Sugar 3 is nice

Bike Setup:   Its all non stock now...Bontrager race disk rims...Stratos XC Pro rear shock with remote lockout...XTR front and rear derailers..sdram grip shifters...Magura Loiuse disk brakes....specialized body geomitry seat...race face crank
and xt bottom bracket...white brothers handle bar...and chili grips. Marzocchi Z1 Bam Like anyone cares...but i love my bike....

Submitted by Keith a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2000

Strengths:    Great components, great looks and great price tag make this a fantastic full suspension ride.

Weaknesses:    A larger rider will experince a dip on the front shock when going over rocks, stumps and crags. The bike is also somewhat heavy. The brakes really give away after some extensive use, think about changing to discs.

Bottom Line:
GREAT BIKE for the PRICE!!!!!!!!! If you are thinking about full suspension, give this one a try. I had my swingarm cracked and CANNONDALE took care of me in less the 10 days with no charge. The bike really handles the jolts of a hard trail, especially when carring alot of speed.

Favorite Trail:   Bull Frog Lake

Similar Products Used:   GT, TREK

Bike Setup:   Bar ends and time pedals.

Submitted by Michal Oexman a Weekend Warrior from Guam USA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2000

Strengths:    Great price..beautiful...nice starter components.

Weaknesses:    Front Fatty has no adjustments...and my arse is 200lbs
so its over 50% compressed when Im on it. So fattys are not good for fatties

Bottom Line:
Its my first full suspension.....I love it...but it sucks going up hill..bobs like a loose #$#$. Would highly recommend it to first timers due to the great price..Got mine for $999.90. It already has great starter components
and the connections for future disk brakes. Recommend changing the rear shock with something with more control.
And if you weigh alot change the front. I scored an xvert t for mine...you will need a step down kit from Cannondale.
Over all its cherry...I have no regrets getting it.

Favorite Trail:   Channel 10

Similar Products Used:   Only a Giant DS1

Bike Setup:   Coda crank..xt front derailer...xtr rear derailer
generic brakes.Vanilla rear shock Fatty in the front

Submitted by Dallas a Weekend Warrior from Oviedo,FL USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2000

Strengths:    Smooth ride, Great value for full suspension bike.

Weaknesses:    No lock out on the head shock. When I hit the sand and come up out of the saddle, nose dips and I stop.(not critical however)

Bottom Line:
For the money, its the best bike I tried. By far the best geometry for my frame(6'3' 235lbs). My wife has a older super V2000 which is far superior, yet I can hang with my V400. Later

Favorite Trail:   Snowhill rd

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Just added bar extensions, XL

Submitted by Tony Wade a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2000

Strengths:    Good overall package, THAT fork, good componentry and a good frame that warrants upgrades

Weaknesses:    Rear swingarm, warrenty. My rear swingarm has cracked at the seam after only 8mths of use. Cannondale have agreed to replace it but I will have to pay labour costs, sounds unfair? The brakes, the tektros started OK, but it was downhill from there as I couldn't stop! after fitting the XT discs laced to mavic 317 rims, acceleration and braking had improved 10 fold

Bottom Line:
Good value for money, the only problem is the crack in the rear swingarm and I have waited for 3 weeks and it hasn't arrived yet. The electric blue color scheme makes it look twice the price along with the motocross rear swingarm. This is a great bike to start with full suspension, as its easy to set up and the action of the bike is quite easy to get used to, it also inspires a lot of confidence very quickly and your friends will notice how much quicker your going. Upgrade parts as they wear out and you have one corker of a bike. Overall rating 3 chills only due to my swingarm problem, but value isn't a problem

Favorite Trail:   Epping Forests bridge run

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension bike purchased.

Bike Setup:   Riser bars, disc brakes, hard rear end as come from riding aluminium hardtail.

Submitted by Marty a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2000

Strengths:    XT rear derailleure, bottom bracket height, swing arm design, Fatty M fork, and FUN FACTOR! :)

Weaknesses:    Overall not much but if anything I think its probably the weight, and maybe the Mythos tyres on from standard - don't grip at all in gravel but nothing to do with the bike...

Bottom Line:
This is a top entry level dually. It handles excellent and is a real "point and shoot" bike. When powering up hills and along the flat, as long as you don't get up on the pedals it doesn't bob very much at all, the low/towards the rear of the bottom bracket position of the swingarm pivot makes it really active and soaks up all the little bumps well - excellent design of the swing arm Cannondale! - except for the fact that you might not be able to get some serious rubber in between the swing arm (from what I can see, I haven't tried yet) -

Cannondale finally spec'd good components too! The XT rear derailleure, LX front Derailleure, deore cluster and Coda cranks all work pretty well. I have only crunched the gears twice since new, and that was due to cable stretch!

The addition of Deore rapid fire shifters are much better than those horrid Grip shifters that were on the '99 model - I actually hung out to get the '00 model for this reason.

My only gripe so far is probably the weight - (but I don't race so it doesn't matter to me). It is a bit heavy for serious XC racers but for people like me (100km week off road 60% fire trail 40% single track)is an excellent option and a comfy one!

I give 4 flamin' chilis cos nothin's perfect!

Favorite Trail:   Bunyaville in Brisbane