Cannondale 1999 SV-700sx Full Suspension Bike

4.13/5 (8 Reviews)

Cannondale SV-700sx

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2000

Strengths:    1) Lefty DLR is stiff, plush, can't be beat
2) Rear Fox Float air shock
3) "V" frame design

Weaknesses:    1) Hayes disk brake as originally speced. C'Dale now specs the Magura Clara (don't get the Hayes!!!!)
2) Weinmann Zac19 rims. Weak, weak, weak . . . did I say weak?
3) Coda's proprietary Lefty hub with it's 4-bolt rotor mount. Although now Hayes AND Magura now support this hub.
4) Limited auto-rack options as front wheel can't be removed without a bike shop in the trunk. (use the Yakima AnkleBiter on your existing rack)

Bottom Line:
This is a followup to my previous post. I have been reminded why I like Cannondale this past week.

Last Friday I discovered I had a SV700sx with the defective swingarm. While riding back from the trail head, while bunny hopping a speedbump, the swingarm snapped. Took it into my LBS the same day. The LBS called C'Dale Saturday, the replacement swingarm was shipped Saturday, I'll get my bike back Friday assuming UPS doesn't screw up. Cannondale service has been excelent (as has my LBS).

The bike as originally equipped is a 4-star bike. I would have preferred stronger rims and full hydraulic; even with additional cost. The Lefty fork has no competition, the air Fox Float rear is much improved over the coil Fox Vanilla from last year (in this price range).

As with all bikes not built custom, expect to swap out or replace components you don't like.

I see there is now a "Value Rating" I give 5 value chilis for the price/quality ratio and the excellent support I have received.

4 overall chilis.

Similar Products Used:   C'Dale 1999 SV900
Schwinn 1999 S10
Santa Cruz 1999 Heckler
Schwinn Y2K Rocket88 (great "XC" FS)
Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Bike upgraded; now has Mavic 317 rims, Coda Expert disk brakes, ESP 9.0 shifters/derailleurs, new bb.

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from New Orleans, LA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 1999

Strengths:
Excellent bike for my size; 6'2, 260lbs.
Lefty fork is great.
Great climbing and soft landing!

Weaknesses:
Weinmann ZAC 19 Rims.
Cost is a bit much.

Bottom Line:
OK Cannondale haters, skip this review! This bike rides very well, and takes alot of abuse. Admittedly, this bike is not cheap. I know other manufacturers offer better component sets for the same cash, however, I feel this is offset by the incredible LEFTY Fork. As well, the rear travel is exceptional. I have not ridden in the slop yet, but in hard and moderately soft conditions this bike rocks! My TREK has been relegated to merely an excersize tool.

Hooper Park

Only a hardtail-TREK 6500

Switched rims to MAVIC d521's, and rear brake to Shimano XT V-brake.
Needed to change the FOX air to a Fox coil for my big ass(dealer made change in 10 minutes at no added cost).

Submitted by Yves a Cross-Country Rider from Surrey, B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1999

Strengths:
C'dale legendary quality construction
Lefty is awesome with 4 travel
Hutchinson tires

Weaknesses:
cracking swing arm on earlier models
Hayes cable activated disc brake component
Cheap stock brake levers
Hard to fit a speedometer with Lefty!

Bottom Line:
I was one of the less fortunate ones to get caught with the cracking swing arm. C'dale has recognized that and replace free of charge no hassle. Overall great (super) bike, stable, awesome downhill, not as great up (because of it upright design). Poor choice of component for the front brake in Hayes cable activated hyd. disc. I have had only problems even after visiting the shop on numerous occasion. I have lost all confidence in the product. After a desastrous weekend outing with the front brake sucking all the way down, I have decided to upgrade both rear and front to full hydraulic Hayes - will give that a whirl and let you know more. I understand that C'dale has gone to Magura's on later models..Was it not for the poor choice in brake components I would give it a 5 stars.

Galbraith Mtn, Bellingham

6 months

Rcky Mtn Element Race

stock
rear upgraded to Hayes cable act. disc
upgraded to XT front derailleur
upgraded to XT brake levers

Submitted by Don a Cross-Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: November 7, 1999

Strengths:
That lefty and it's 4 of travel.
Swingarm sans chainstay

Weaknesses:
1) Hayes disk brake as originally speced.2) Coda's proprietary Lefty hub with it's 4-bolt rotor mount3) Limited auto-rack options as front wheel can't be removed without a bike shop in the trunk.

Bottom Line:
First, this bike was $1800 US here in SoCal. So much for paying for the name ;-)Overall this bike rocks. All controversy over the Left fork is misplaced. The original Hayes cable/hydraulic brake was a bad idea. Fortunately C'Dale is replacing this hayes with a Magura fully hydraulic (probably the Louise). The all-air suspension feels fantastic.I ride this bike hard, currently replacing the rear wheel, have already blown out the bottom bracket. I had early problems with the Hayes disk squeeling. If your considering this bike, or the Raven 700SX, wait until the bikes come equipped with the Magura brake.

1999 SV-900

Bike new equiped with 8-speed GripShift ESP 9.0, UN72 BB, currently getting Mavic 521 rims, will be replacing crapping Hayes as soon as funds allow.

Submitted by Ty Childers a Cross-Country Rider from Mesa, Az

Date Reviewed: October 5, 1999

Strengths:
Update to previous review.

Weaknesses:
Swing arm.

Bottom Line:
This is an update to a previous review. I have an sv700sx and recently cracked the swingarm. Jason from Bike Chalet in Gilbert, AZ graciously offered to replace the swing arm with an upgraded cadd 4 model and then got Cannondale to give me a deal on the disk brake upgrade. I am really pleased to deal with bike chalet and hope anyone reading this review will use them if they decide to purchase a bike. I found out that the crack was on a casting mark and this has been solved on all but the very first production bikes that were released. I would not worry about the swingarm issue if purchasing a SV700SX.

Cactus Cup

Submitted by Ty Childers a Cross-Country Rider from Mesa, Az

Date Reviewed: October 4, 1999

Strengths:
Fairly Light and handles awesome.

Weaknesses:
Problems with Lefty, Rear Swingarm, and Hayes cable actuated disk brakes.

Bottom Line:
I have had the bike about three months now and have had a couple of problems. The Hayes cable actuated disk brakes are a real pain and are hard to make work. They need to be adjusted just right or they will fail. The lefty is very maint intensive and suseptable to water. Be very carefull if you spray your bike down. Water will be pulled inside through the air vent and cause the fork to rustweld itself. I just cracked the rear swing arm where it fits together at the weld. If you already have one of these bikes make sure you check to see that the swingarm is not cracked. Mine started to split in half. Thankfully Bike Chalet in Gilbert, Az has taken care of all the problems as best they could with no labor charges. Thanks Jason! I bought a SV because of the reputation for having a strong frame and reliable components. I am beggining to wonder. Two Stars

Cactus Cup

SV900, Proflex.

Stock.

Submitted by Raymond Mulnix a Weekend Warrior from Bethany,Mo

Date Reviewed: October 2, 1999

Strengths:
Light for a full suspension bike, Lefty front fork works great, tracks like it is on rails and climbs well to.

Weaknesses:
LX front derailer

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike, I ride a technical course that has rocks and logs, and many more obsticals and this bike has not let me down yet. Lefty kicks butt, I don't care what all of you Cannondale haters say about it. This bike really draws a lot of attention at the trail.

Crowder State Park, Mo

super v raven 2000sl

stock setup for now, maybe some xtr parts later.

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Surrey, B.C.

Date Reviewed: September 30, 1999

Strengths:
The fork is fantastic and the frame is holding up well to the continual 4' to 7' wheel drops. I like riding this bike. I have always liked V frames for the lack of top tube

Weaknesses:
I would like to see a better speced version of the aluminum frame design

Bottom Line:
Great bike for all around use. Not good for racing because 4 and 4.5 is not enough

Bogieman, Pink Starfish

Most Cannondale Super-V bikes

I switched to Race Face cranks and built up Rhynolites after folding front and rear immediately(Big wheel drops)