Cannondale 1999 Super V Raven 1000 Full Suspension Bike

4.17/5 (12 Reviews)

1999 Cannondale Super V Raven 1000, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Shimano Deore XT components, CODA HeadShok Super Fatty SL fork

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2002

Strengths:    Amazingly easy to control. Light, quick, strong and gorgeous to boot!

Weaknesses:    Price- Damn is it expensive. Specked bike out to include all XLR components.

Bottom Line:
An amazing bike, with amazing response and control. Worth every penny and it gets me laid. Great uphill, downhill, technical, and it looks good on the car rack. Damn it turns some heads, whether you are doing a heel clicker or just leaning the bike up against the car. I've had no problem with the shocks either. They are great! No frame creakage, definitely no breakage and it can take my full load.

Favorite Trail:   Happy Trail

Similar Products Used:   Nothing out there like it!

Bike Setup:   All XT upgraded to XLR (I wasn't paying so I didn't care)

Submitted by Murth a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2000

Strengths:    Very well built, no creaking whatsoever. Easily maintained, and handles anything you can throw at it. Great downhill, uphill and crosscountry.

Weaknesses:    None- Had a bent cassette when purchased. resolved immediately at the shop (free of cost). Shimano and Cannondale worked it all out for me (along with the bike shop). Quite pricey (but worth every penny). Try getting endorsed/sponsored by a local business.

Bottom Line:
This is a phenomenal bike. If you've actually ridden one, then you'd agree. The people slamming this awesome piece of machinery and artwork either haven't ridden one or would love to, but can't afford to buy a bike from anywhere except the local Walmart. Criticism is fine but a slam just for the sake of trying to knock down the overall rating average is just a waste of time. I'm giving this bike a full five chiles! It gets better and better with every ride. Love it.

Favorite Trail:   Avalon, Happy

Similar Products Used:   Nothing I've ridden is even remotely similar! All hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Full XTR & Mavic Crossmax

Submitted by Dan Hazle a Downhiller from Portland Or. U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2000

Strengths:    very dependable ,upgraded front shock, up graded brakes.

Weaknesses:    weight.

Bottom Line:
best bike i ever owned.

Favorite Trail:   ski bowl,Mt. Hood meadows

Bike Setup:   1995 Cannondale Super V 1000 Lmtd. edition swgarm crbn-fbr

Submitted by Derek a Cross-Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: September 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
Prolly? Mike is another victim of the United States education system. Good show eh?

tested or demo'ed only

Submitted by Mike a Cross-Country Rider from Washington

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1999

Strengths:
One awesome bike. If you buy one make sure it fits. Can't say nothing bad about these bikes. Get one and enjoy and great FS bike.

Weaknesses:
I have had this bike for over a year not once had a problem with it..the only weakness is that its need to stay tuned up .

Bottom Line:
The guy above me is prolly a Cannondale hater. Prolly has never rode one in his life. Say's he broke the frame. Yeah anyone can break a frame if you drop it from a 10 story building. That guy is so full of it, it kills me. Besides he's prolly over weight to begin with. Lose weight dude and watch Cannondale FS Raven with skinny people on them pass by.

1 Year

None..Cannondale makes the best FS bike on the plant.

Fatty SL

Submitted by Matt-Man a Cross-Country Rider from Marquette, MI

Date Reviewed: April 27, 1999

Strengths:
Light and Stiff

Weaknesses:
Broke the frame within a month. Now Im in for the Cannondale run around. Ill be without a bike for at least a month (AAAHHHH!!!!!)

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is, I am tired of Cannondale, I am tired of talking to a rep who spinns me around for a month or two and then sends me the wrong bike. Sincerely Matt

less than 1 month

F1000 - Broke it
SV1000 - Broke it
Raven - Broke it

Fatty SL

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Holland, Soest

Date Reviewed: April 26, 1999

Strengths:
A while ago I bought the 99 Raven 1000. Not only was it love at first sight, it was also love at first ride. The raven climbs over anything without ever losing traction, and the ride is very comfortable! With adjustible compression and rebound front and rear you can dial in any ride you want. I changed the bike a little bit: I put XTR stuff on it and bought Mavic Crosmax rims and the disc brakes Magura louise. The 9-speed (11-34) Rapidfire shifting is incredibly smooth (XTR) and the magura brakes are just the way you want brakes to be. It cost me a lot of money but if I had the choice again, no doubt ….. I would buy this bike again. It is light (12 kilo), fast (acceleration) and the riding postion on the bike is very good! Steering on single trails is great because of the wonderfull Super fatty SL fork. But I must admit….. this fork is not as sensitive as the bomber Z2 I have on my GT Avalanche. But the alover ride of this bike is just great. Okay, enough writing about it, just buy it!

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Wonderful bike!

less than 1 month

crosmax disc wheels
xtr drive train
superfatty sl fork
vanilla float

Submitted by Alain Powder Cadorette a cross-country rider from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 4, 1999

Bottom Line:

This is an updated report for a much modified RAVEN 2000 (not the Freeride). CHECK OUT the original review posted on August 12, 1998. For you folks who will eventually want to upgrade various parts on your Raven, you'll find a few ideas below.With everything I have changed on this bike, it is more like a '99 RAVEN 3000 or '98 Raven 4000. Here's were it's at today (some changes were done since I had originaly posted in MTB Review): Cane Creek Crono Wam SS wheelset (Double butted Stainless Steel
spokes), Ritchey Logic Rim Tape on both wheels, Specialized 1.25-1.5 thin
tubes on both wheels (they stretch to 2.1 and are pretty reliable and very
light), XTR Titanium Casette (12-32), Rear XT Quick Release (no flex wanted
there), Kept the Mythos tires on both wheels (very light tires), Front
Specialized Ti Quick Release.XTR splined Bottom Bracket, Coda Tarantula competition Splined Crankset with
inner Ti ring, Shimano SPD-747 pedals (747 are a bit heavy but, still the best out there), Sedis road chain (forgot the number, they have little groove in the
side plates, It shifts nice and lasts as long as any other hi-end chain, and
It's light).Easton CT2 Carbon flat handlebars, Tomac ATI grips, GripShift Attack 8.0
shifters, XTR brake levers, No more bar ends, XTR front and rear brakesSyncros Titanium seatpost, Avocet 40 02 kevlar saddle (had a Sella Italia
flite until it got riped so I'm trying something new)That's about it. I added up all the weight savings and it should weigh about
24.5pds but on my scale it comes in at 24.75pds (sometimes closer to 25pds).
It still feels much lighter when your riding it.In order to bring the weight down to 24pds, I would want to change the rear shock, but I'll wait until the ALPS 5R blows up. The only problem is that as of today Fox will not sell Air Vanilla or floats to the public, only OEM, man does that really bad! Cane Creek has a nice shock, the AD-10, but they don't make one that fits the Raven yet, they only have one for the Super V 2000. You need the get a shock with the correct lengths, compression ratio bla, bla, bla... you just can't put any other shock on this bike yet. Oh and forget about the Rock Shock rear SID, I heard it really bad the big one! Maybe one day Fox will allow dealers to sell the shocks as an aftermarket part.My local bike store was very helpfull in helping me find cranks for this bike, they finally got Cannondale to ship them Tarantulla cranks for my bike at an amazing upgrade price in exchange for my old cold forged cranks. The best fitting cranks are the CODA competition Tarantula (Splined), you also need an XTR splined BB. The cranks with rings are lighter than XTR, shifts really nice, feels very stiff and look pretty good too. We tried other cranks but because of the rear swingarm design most cranks do not fit on the left side of the bike (Including XTR, Race FACE...). You can get these other cranks to fit, but you will have to get a much wider axle which will add flex, add weight, off center your chain and rings and widen your pedalling stance. NOT GOOD!This bike still kicks butt! I have had nasty spills with the bike falling over jagged rocks , roots , branches.... and guess what? The carbon shell doesn't have one dent yet, minor scratches but that's about it. That
pivot mounted on sealed bearings hasn't shown any sign of weekness yet, It still feels as stiff as a hard tail. With periodic maintenance, the Fatty SL headshock still performs very well on big hits but not as good on small ripples like a SID would, then again it still tracks better than anything else on there.Bottom line: I still stand by what I wrote on August 12th 1998.
FYI: The local bike store I shop at has really help me out in tuning this bike they really know their stuff and for you Americans and Europeens you should check out their prices since the Canadian dollar is basicaly worth nothing!
Call Francois (AKA Franky) at ABC Cycles & Sports, 514-276-1305 and tell him you saw this on the WEB, he'll get a kick out of that.

Submitted by GH a cross-country rider from ATL

Date Reviewed: March 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

Another review, but this one didn't get screwed up in the upload.
Raven still rox. Most fun dual I've ever ridden. Still wouldn't ride one without a rear lockout shock, or any for that matter. I got the rebound dampening to work on the fatty without having to take it in. (I took the cap off the top and the inner knob was tune-able. Quiet, climbs great(out of the saddle climber), descends great, front end a little high, but bottom bracket is higher than my old Y and my pedals don't hit roots and stuff near as much. Next to my wife, oh yea and her folks; it's the best thing I've seen out of Bedford,PA.

Submitted by GH a cross-country rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: February 19, 1999

Bottom Line:

Actually this review is 4 a Raven 98/2000. Old ride was Trek Y 33. New Ride is Raven with Retro Statos XC/Pro with on the fly lockout. (Would not ride a riding set of box springs (Dual Bike), without a lockout.)
Compared to the Y, quieter, more front and rear shok action, quieter ride, better climber, better decender. Only complaint is there doesn't seem to be any Actually this review is 4 a Raven 98/2000. (not much diff than the 99 1000 as far as ride but I think the 99’s have 80mm front shok travel while the one on this 98 is 70mm) My other suspension MTB ride is a Trek Y 33. New ride is this Cannondale with a Retro fit Stratos XC/Pro with on the fly lockout. (Would not ride a dual without a lockout.)
Compared to the Y; quieter, more front and rear shok action, better climber, better decender. Only 2 complaints; on steep and narely the front end sits high on the fatty and is a bit nervous and you tend to have to lean further over (partly is due to rebound problems {see next}. Other complaint is there doesn't seem to be any rebound damping on the front, and the dialer knob on top of it doesn't do anything (probably need to service this fork as I bought this bike used.)
Other note: The Y comes with a rear shok with lockout, but no Ravens do, which is kinda strange. It is really nice to stand on the down hills and have the rear suspension be this active without any side to side free play (The Y locks out a little when you stand on the down hills.) Trek makes a great Hard tail carbon fiber OCLV, but the Raven semi-mono-carbon beats the Y mono-carbon in 90 % of every category.
(Any thing in this note resembling a technical review is purely coincidental. )

Submitted by Robert D. Hunt a cross-country rider from Kannapolis, NC 28083

Date Reviewed: December 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just bought a raven 1000. Got it 3 weeks ago and haven't ridden it but 3 times....that's because the dealer has had it most of that duration. Cannondale sent it to me with several lesser components than were spcd. No XTR derailer...no vanilla air shock. When I finally got the XTR...it was rapid rise. (which as you know...shift bckwards) So I'm riden like a new-born now..Personally I prefer the other XTR's. But Cannondale dosen't seem to want to please this customer....I was a loyal Cannondle cstomer...not anymore.

Submitted by John a weekend warrior from Croton-on-Hudson, NY

Date Reviewed: November 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

After 9 years on my Fat Chance Wicked hardtail, my back couldn’t take it anymore. It was full suspension or nothing. I’d watched the FS revolution evolve but didn’t want to buy a bike that would quickly become obsolete. At the WMBA Trail’s Day Bike Festival at Blue Mountain Reservation in Peekskill, NY I got a chance to demo a 98 Raven 2000. It was love at first ride (other than the size small frame and lousy seat.) After visiting Cannondale’s web site I decided to buy the 99 Raven 1000 (much better looking in it’s full Chromeillusion purple paint job and upgraded components and shocks than the garish blue and yellow Raven 700.) I ordered a large and after waiting 6 weeks, it finally arrived on October 1. Not only was it love at first sight— it was also love at first ride. The raven climbs over anything without ever losing traction, and the ride is soooo plush! With adjustible compression and rebound front and rear you can dial in any ride you want. The bike rides way lighter than its 27 lbs because it climbs so effortlessly. The black Mavic rims and DT spokes (radially-laced in front) are cool as are the Avid Arch Rival brakes. The 9-speed (11-34) Rapidfire shifting is incredibly smooth. (XT shifters/brakes, XT front/XTR rear Rapidrise derailleurs.) The new Coda seat is a WTB knockoff and is very comfortable.
When you spend this kind of jake on a bike ($2700) you really want to be happy with the product. At that price I feel they should give you all XTR in the drivetrain. Except for a few cheesy Coda components, the bike is first class. I’ve replaced the bar with my Titec 110 and Titec barends. The Coda pedals are not bad but are harder to get into than my old 535s, and I stripped a nut on the front skewer on my second ride.
These nits aside though, I really love this bike and give it 5 big ones.