Cannondale 1999 Super V 800 Full Suspension Bike

3.7/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by capt-macklroy a Weekend Warrior from Newbury Park, CA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2010

Strengths:    light, good components

Weaknesses:    terrible suspension

Bottom Line:
Suspension went out on me after a couple years, cost a bundle to replace, so i invested in a new bike instead. A lot of fun for the first two years. Now strictly HT, less fuss and more power to ground too. I don't recommend this bike.

Purchased At:   NP Bike shop

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Chambersburg, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2007

Strengths:    Really nice handleing, locking front suspention, all to gether awsome parts.

Weaknesses:    well my LX shifters broke but replaced with XT STI shifter/brake lever. My headshok has lost all air and will not hold any agian.

Bottom Line:
Awsome bike. Needs time to ajust settings;suspension. Gets your friends jelous and is an awsome ride.

Favorite Trail:   mt Alto

Purchased At:   Family Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher HiFi duluxe, Trek ex5, Trek fuel ex

Bike Setup:   highly modified. Sun Rims, shimino shifter/derailers, monkey bars, forte barend, Pancer tires...

Submitted by jim a Cross Country Rider from Halifax Nova Scotia

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2001

Strengths:    A very good bike very quick handeling bike, easy to cary and lots of room if you need to stand of the seat.

Weaknesses:    The rear swing arm is very weak in one spot near the chain.
I have broken 3. bad news 20k into the woods. Cannondale replaced them with a new design, I don't think this one will break. I had a bad paint flake problem, cannondale replaced it with a 500 frame same frame differant numbers.

Bottom Line:
the 800 is light and fast,but I find the 400 more comfortable to ride because of the coil suspention, both good bikes, If you ride hard and rough you need a lot of cash to keep them running. I think in part that the 9 speed cassett and chain may be a little weak for mountain biking in harsh conditions.

Favorite Trail:   spider lake area

Purchased At:   Alberta

Similar Products Used:   super v 400

Bike Setup:   It takes some time to find the right air pressure for the shocks. The frount shock is hard to fill tight spot to get in and out of.

Submitted by Mike Unger a Cross Country Rider from Willow Spring,NC, USA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Strengths:    The rear suspension is awsome. It's the best on the market. Over all, the bike is very strong. I weigh 180 lbs and have beat the bike very hard for over 100 trail miles. The HeadShok makes the steering as tight and acurate as non-suspension fork. I Love It! I hate all those mushy plush forks everybody else is using. They might be OK on a wide trail with no trees, but when your flying through a narrow wooded trail, HeadShoks RULE! Also, I've had no stange squeeks or rattles like I've experienced in the competition.

Weaknesses:    It's a little heavy, but the strength and stiffness of the frame and rear suspension makes up for it. No Disk Brakes. I'd like to add some. V-brakes are great until they get wet, then watch out below!

Bottom Line:
If you love to take trails at full speed and seek out the roughest tightest part of the trail, This bike is for you. If you dodge the big stumps and hate rocks and roots forget about it, you don't need it. This bike is a Ferrari/Hummer, minivan drivers need not apply. I was not a Cannondale fan until I bought this bike. Now I wouldn't buy anything else. I only bought it because I got a great deal on a 2000 leftover with a scratch. I have had no quality problems at all. Nothing has broken or come loose, as a matter of fact It still has not even had a tune up. I love it. If it breaks, I'll buy another one just like it, well maybe I'd get one with disk brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Crabtree

Purchased At:   Bike Rack

Similar Products Used:   I tried many DS bikes including: Trek, Specialized, Schwinn, Gary Fisher, Diamondback ...

Bike Setup:   Stock, well except for my water bottle holder.

Submitted by Kevin Beary a Cross Country Rider from Westbury Ny USA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2000

Strengths:    Nice Rear shock very light

Weaknesses:    Garbage rims

Bottom Line:
It is a ok bike that has a few kinks like the rims I went to leap up onto a curb on the way to the trail and just missed lost my tube and I bent the back rim. I didn't hit that hard either! Also I was riding in the street to the store when my crank slipped hurling my knee into the handlebars and sending me to the ground. From that fall my skrany handlebars bent and my left bar end is mangled not to mention the skars on my hands and knees. I also found a chip in the paint that wasn't from my fall that must have come on the bike. I have also had trouble with the quick release in the front sticking. All these things will be brought to the attention of my retailer when I bring it to them for repair If I had the chooice I would return the bike if I could get a full refund. Also for 1400 $$ no disk brakes? and the garbage stock pedals wich cracked!

Purchased At:   Brands Fitness and cycle world

Similar Products Used:   Gt full suspension

Bike Setup:   all stock

Submitted by Glitch a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2000

Strengths:    Actually reviewing the 2000 Super V800. Really like the ride of this bike. It's been used for downhill, climbing and XC. Pretty much has handled all San Diego County trails. Like the fact that the Headshok and the rear Fox Float shock have adjustable PSI, especially for my 190 lbs. The more upright geometry is comfortable for my riding requirements. Bike looks great (smokin' silver and black).

Weaknesses:    The Headshock does not give you the plushest feeling and as much travel as you might like. However, the bike steers extremely accurately, just like they bill it at Cannondale. Had an ongoing problem with the cracks loosening up after 3-4 rides, which causes an annoying "ticking", especially on hard uphills. My bikeshop is the only one with the special tool to tighten Cannondale cranks. Damn! But lifetime maintenance means the trip is free.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for cross country riding. You can't go wrong with this selection. American-made is also a plus.

Favorite Trail:   Big Laguna

Similar Products Used:   Specialized front-suspension (my old bike)

Bike Setup:   The bike is stock, except for the Coda riser-bar, which was installed last month. Also, lost the narrow Mosquito tires that it came with, and traded them in for the more muscular Mythos and 'Rapter tires.

Submitted by Derek a Weekend Warrior from Olympia WA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2000

Strengths:    Love the feel of the bike, and it climbs when others are pushing.

Weaknesses:    where do I start? Read on

Bottom Line:
I have had so many problems with the bike since I purchased it that it is almost comical, please note "almost". I am not a fearless or crazy rider in any sense and I have yet to crash on the Cannondale. My wife owns a $350.00 Trek and always goes riding with me. She has never had a problem with her bike. During the first month I had many problems with the front head shok. During my first month of ownership the bike was in the shop for 2 1/2 weeks or more. After the head shok was fixed, even though the head shok still sucks, I immediatly had another problem. The rear swing arm cracked. After a week of waiting the bike was just replaced. I believe I had a couple of weeks of riding before I had my next problem. While cranking up a steep hill the rear rim sliped of of the frame which of course caused the rear rim to prezel. After wait to have the rear rim fixed, I believe I had a week before my next problem. After returning from vacation ,without my bike, I jumped on the bike for a ride around the block. Funny thing is after my absence the bike had freewheel in both directions. I was told the rear cluch had gone out. Once again after about two weeks of waiting I had my repaired bike back. At this point I decided this was rediculous. I wrote Cannondale a letter stating my problems and concerns. Cannondale's only solution was to refund my purchase price. This is very kind of them however I had to remove all of my newly purchased items and put up with the piece of crap for the last five months. Nothing was done to keep me as a customer, needless to say Canondale will never see a red cent of my money ever again. The person I spoke to at Cannondale is Sandy Graham at 1-800-BIKE-USA. If I have had any effect on you possible Cannondale purchase please let her know. Let Cannondale know that the customer is still has some power.
Please feel free to email me. Olympia9877@msn.com

Favorite Trail:   capital forest

Bike Setup:   stock, except pedals and tires

Submitted by Lerch42 a Cross Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2000

Strengths:    Very Strong Bike. I'm a 260# rider and I punish this bike every chance I get. Brakes are great in any condition and I love the front shock lockout for climbing hills.

Weaknesses:    I didn't care for the tires that came with the bike (too soft of rubber) my back tire is bald at just over a 120 miles although thirty of those miles may have been on pavement

Bottom Line:
(DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE IF YOUR GOING TO RIDE MOSTLY ROADS} get a hardtail for that,this type of bike is for off road only. It's an awesome bike at a great price and it's American Made! If your a big rider this is the FS bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   Anyplace with dirt and rocks

Similar Products Used:   Demo'ed all kinds and stuck with the AMERICAN MADE DALE!

Bike Setup:   All stock except for seat and bar grips.

Submitted by Mike a Downhiller from Ct

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2000

Strengths:    This bike is really really sweet. I rented one while i was in moab. I hit 50mph on a dh part with it. The headshock is really wierd and not that plush. its good for a hardcore cross-country rider.

Weaknesses:    The headshock, cdale has to be stupid and not figure out that there suspension forks arent really that great.

Bottom Line:
Its a really good bike for cross-country, anyone looking for a full suspension cdale should loook into this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock, moab