Cannondale 1999 Super V 500 Full Suspension Bike

4.49/5 (45 Reviews)

1999 Cannondale Super V 500, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, CODA HeadShok Super Fatty M fork

Submitted by Grant a Weekend Warrior from Bothell, WA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2004

Strengths:    Single pivot in the right place. Strong, durable and reasonably light. Headshok tracks like a rigid - point it and that's where you're going! Crafstmanship is second to none and the v-frame has excllent standover. I was also a sucker for the flat black and grey paint job on this model.

Weaknesses:    Stock component spec left a lot to be desired. Cheap chinese BB, bottom-shelf plastic lever rapidfire, no-name v-brakes, etc... but I purchased this bike for the "foundation" of the frame, fork & paint job. Parts are always temporary and don't make the bike.

Bottom Line:
This bike just fits me. I've been through a couple sets of components, but the "heart" of the bike (super-v frame, fox vanila rear shock, DD80 headshok, pivot bearings, etc..) have all held up since 1999 with absolutely no complaints or issues. I expect that this bike could last as long as I want to keep maintaining it. So... it's probably a bit overbuilt for weight freaks. But as a 190# rider, this bikes' steady quiet reliablity are truly appreciated. It's a blast to ride and offers confidence-inspiring performance climbing and in the bumps. I wish they still made it. I also sometimes wish for a longer-travel fork up front. Maybe a Lefty for Christmas?

Favorite Trail:   NW Timber @ Tiger Mt.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale KillerV 900 hardtail. Short test rides as shop mechanic on many, many other designs.

Bike Setup:   Currently: XT drivetrain and XT rapidfire. XT hydraulic disks. Mavic f219disk wheels and WTB tires. Nice WTB saddle. Uh, a handlebar with grips and barends, too.

Submitted by Scott from Iowa

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2004

Strengths:    Frame

Weaknesses:    A lot of crap, needed some upgrades

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike, I got it from a friend that had no clue about the original value of the bike. $75 was a steal and allowed me to upgrade and have the best bike in the area for price spent on it. Great trail bike but i use it to commute to school and work as well. Good for a beginner or expert (but will need upgrades). Couldn't go wrong for 75 bucks ;)

Favorite Trail:   Sugar Bottom Bike Trails

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn S-20, Trek 3000

Submitted by Benjamen Ortiz a Cross Country Rider from K-Town, Germany

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2003

Strengths:    Everything This bike rocks.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy if you need to carry it. But who carries their bike?! Front derailer is a pain to adjust. Still can't get it right.

Bottom Line:
This bick is great. I get alot of looks from it over here. Suspension is good for everything here. Bike is a little heavy for all the hills here but otherwise. I don't think i'll get rid of it 100 thumbs up.

Favorite Trail:   It's Germany There's too many to list

Purchased At:   Holeshot Bicycle Columbus, MS

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Topanga (Hard Tail)

Bike Setup:   Stock. Added clipless peddles and a new seat.

Submitted by Ken Haggett a Cross Country Rider from Lake Elmore, Vermont USA.

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Strengths:    Seems to be a strong frame, not much heavier than my previous bikes.

Weaknesses:    The tire clearance on the head shock fork is tight if using a large front tire. Concerned about lodging a stick or rock in it and going over.

Bottom Line:
I've been very happy with this bike so far. It is the first full susp. I've owned and was concerned about the climbing ability but have been very pleased. I'm sure there is some energy lost on climbs due to the rear susp. but it feels like it makes up for it in traction gained. It is almost imposible to make this thing spin out on a climb, I can stand up on it even on a wet rocky trail and it just keeps plowing ahead. I'm still getting used to decending with it but it's getting to be a lot of fun, very different from a rigid or front shock frame. I've read many reviews complaining about the components but riding the rocks and roots of northeast vermont a $100 part snaps just as easily as a $30 part. Everything seems to work just fine although I must admit I'm not possitive if the components are original equip.

Favorite Trail:   haven't finished building it yet

Purchased At:   From a friend

Similar Products Used:   First fs, other bikes: K2 Zedx front susp., cadex carbon fiber, 85 Specialized stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Stock other than trying out riser bars for the down hills.

Submitted by ryan from cougarland, utah

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2002

Strengths:    strong durable frame, customer sevice

Weaknesses:    everything but the frame

Bottom Line:
this frame has outlasted every single component that the bike came with. The pivot is still quiet and tight, the bottom bracket was the last of the original components to go, but it lasted through a hard year and a half of hard riding. If you are a new owner, toss your headshock or sell it on ebay, i tried two headshocks before realizing they will only work for light xc use, anything big and they just dont cut it. Dont worry about the junk components that come on the bike, you will break them all anyway, and then you can put whatever you want on. This frame is way more durable than my roomates fsrs and idrives, never a problem, but seriously, get rid of the headshock asap. Only 4 flamers cause of the junk components, other than that you will break before the frame, and if not they replace it anyway.

Bike Setup:   who cares

Submitted by Jonathan from Senoia, GA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Strengths:    Great handling, comfortable, tough, elegant...really, what's not to like?

Weaknesses:    me

Bottom Line:
GREAT BIKE! If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the same bike. It's not the flashiest bike out there, but it's a solid rig. Properly set up, it's near perfect. Very easy to manipulate on tight trails. Really the only faults I can find don't come from the bike, but from the rider. I've had the bike for nearly 3 years and still love it. I wish I could ride it more than I do, but then having a family seriously cuts into one's riding time, doesn't it? This is my 4th review since March 2000. I like the bike more and more each review. Never thought I'd like Cannondale this much,, but the Super V 500 is a well built bike.
If you have this bike and don't like it, try replacing the parts (begin with the wheels...stock wheels are CHEAP. Cut weight where you can (seat post, wheels, handlebars, saddle...maybe get better deraileurs{I went with XT front and rear}, if you're still riding the Continental Atlanta tires, ditch them and get Maxxis, Kenda, Hutchinson, Michelin...I'd imagine most anything is better than the stock tires...they're dreadful.
As I've said, properly set up, this bike is going to be hard to beat. As a stock bike, it's not horrible, but average is about as good as it gets. Cannondale lets the consumer worry about the upgrades. If I were to buy my bike as is as a new ride, it would have cost me in exess of $3K. I don't have nearly that much invested.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS3

Bike Setup:   Easton carbon fiber seat post and CT2 flat bar, Mavic 517's with Chris King hubs and DT Swiss spokes, all else is stock.

Submitted by Klaas a Weekend Warrior from leuven / belgium

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Strengths:    great frame for the money. fast and stiff, not to heavy. lot's of room to throw the bike around. looks and rides agressive.

Weaknesses:    the headshock setup is much to soft, smashed the rubber after 3 months. wheels are total crap. I broke the original '99 swingarm about 6months ago on downhill in mallorca (=end of vacation), but it was replaced within two weeks with the new much stiffer one.

Bottom Line:
best you can get for your money. fast and fun bike to ride. handles well in almost any condition, cross-country / freeride/ downhill / or just jumping stairs in the city. just ride and love it.
did anyone try to fit 2.35 or even 2.5 (maxxis) tyres on it?

Purchased At:   belgium/europe

Similar Products Used:   kawa 250cc

Bike Setup:   new swingarm, mavic wheels with 36 sapim spokes (never boken since then), downhill bar, 8 speed cassette (doesn't wear out that fast), fizik saddle

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Sandpoint, ID USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2002

Strengths:    Unstoppable construction, decent weight, handles well, stiffness of Headshock, standover clearance is best in class.

Weaknesses:    bobs a little while pedaling but not unbearable. Tight riders compartment, easily fixed with new stem.

Bottom Line:
Have mountain biked since mid Eighties, this is my first full suspension, have had three hardtails, and countless fully rigid bikes (remember those?). The last Cannondale I owned was back in 87, no suspension, was a great bike, have always liked Cannondale. I need a strong frame as I am a 200 pound rider, and I havn't killed this bike yet, although I promptly swapped all my XTR and XT stuff onto it, which brought the weight down to an honest 26 pounds. Does quite well at XC and mild DH, fair on climbs. Anyone who does poorly at XC on this bike should work out a bit more, I grew up on 30+ pound non-suspended bikes, those were the good ol' days. Had to toss in the stiffest spring available for my Headshock fork due to my weight, it is easy as long as you have the right tools. This is a great bike for the intermediate rider who has good mechanical comprehension and can maintain the bike themselves, and can handle a quick-turning fs bike. The pros may want a lighter rig, the novices may want something a bit less spendy and intimidating in the handling department. I give this bike five big fat burnin' yaks.....

Favorite Trail:   Any and all

Purchased At:   From private party

Similar Products Used:   test ridden most everything at some point

Bike Setup:   SuperV 500 w/ headshock Fatty dd60 fork, XTR and XT throughout, continental traction pro tires

Submitted by Dean a Weekend Warrior from Charleston,SC

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2001

Strengths:    Very strong and stiff aluminum construction. Visually unique.

Weaknesses:    After 5000 miles and 4years, none yet.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in 1997. Its best quality is the maintenance free design. The rear swing arm pivots on a sealed cartridge bearing, not some lousey plastic bushing. To prove my point, I have just under 5ooo miles logged and only recently for the first time ever I had to remove the swingarm due to some creeking. All I did was clean the bearing well and add a little grease and the bike is silent again. Cannondale provides a lifetime warranty on the frame and this bike looks awesome.

Purchased At:   Real Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Nothing comes close

Bike Setup:   Easton CT2 Monkey lite carbon bar, Cane Creek AD10, Headshock Moto FR, all XT drive train, Thomson Elite Seat Post, Selle Italia Flite Titanium, Time Atac Alium Pedals,.........

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Stamford, CT USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    Finally found a FS bike in the right size! (this was more the default search criteria over brand/price/etc. as I'm 6'4"/225lbs). So far I have absolutely no complaints - my last MTB was a GF Hoo Koo E Koo about 5 years ago ,and I knew I wanted FS this time and the SV has not disappointed. Sure it could have better components, but they will be upgraded as I wreck them or save up enuff $$$.
Frame is rock-solid and will make an excellent base for a future trail-thrasher.

Weaknesses:    Headshok front susp. gets mentioned here for it's lack of adjustability. This bike has the Super Fatty M which is their 2nd model up from the lowest one they offer. Had LBS put stiffest spring that C-dale offers, but still wish it had more travel & tweakability...
When it comes time for a fork upgrade I'll most likely go with an aftermarket traditional setup (can you say "Marzocchi Bomber"? ;). Sorry HeadShok!

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! Rides good, looks good, feels good. So far I've been pretty tough on it over some jumps & drops and haven't bent or broken anything (holding my breath about the stock wheels tho from what I've heard - but that's why I bought the 217's...)
Anyone looking for a good entry-to-mid level FS bike should DEFINITELY check this bike out! Yes, they're pricey but find a deal on a used one like I did & you can't go wrong! (For $600 I got this 1-owner 99 SV500, Bell Forza helmet, tailbag w/spare tube, multi-tool, mini-pump, patch kit) AND a Rhode Gear 2-bike trunk rack!!! (No wisea$$, no Ginsu knives were included in this deal too, sorry.)

4 flamin' chili's for value 'cause of steep retail(new) price, 4 flamin' chili's for overall rating due to HeadShok shortcomings.

Favorite Trail:   The fire road to Great Camp Santanoni in Newcomb, NY (so far)

Purchased At:   used-original owner

Similar Products Used:   Does the Hoo Koo E Koo from 5 years ago count!? And the Giant Sedona a year or two before that??? Guess not...

Bike Setup:   All stock save for brand-new Fire XC Pro's & Topeak Panoram computer. The tires are a HUGE improvement over the stock ones that were still on the bike & the computer is actually pretty cool - I bought it because it was different & only $50. JUST bought a cheap pair of VP clipless pedals & Diadora Jalapeno shoes that will go into use in the next week; as well as a set of "leftover" Mavic SUP 217's that I'll be building up over the next month or so...

Submitted by eamonn digaetano a Cross Country Rider from bridgewater connecticut

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2001

Strengths:    lateral stiffness, durability, quality, good components

Weaknesses:    front fork setup on mine was a little soft tough to upgrade. none other than that

Bottom Line:
i cannot believe what i got for this price. At the time when i decided that i needed a new bike, this one was out of the question but later on, it had good marks on my checklist. Ive got the new swingarm on the back and the suspension has given me no problems on the climbs yet, not even the long ones. if you are a new in full suspension, you should definitely consider this bike it has barely any mantenance other than having to put it away in the garage when you are done. it is a fun bike and i love it.

Favorite Trail:   the longest one

Purchased At:   the bicycle center/brookfield

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher sugar

Bike Setup:   2001 sv frame, xt rear derauiler, lxfront derauiler

Submitted by brian a Weekend Warrior from wyckoff,new jersey

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2001

Strengths:    it is a sturdy frame

Weaknesses:    needs more rear travel

Bottom Line:
its a good bike for cross country for freeriding pick sumthin else

Favorite Trail:   urban

Purchased At:   bike pad

Similar Products Used:   bullit,stinky

Bike Setup:   marzocchi z.1 mcr fork azonic a-frame pedals

Submitted by Jonathan a Weekend Warrior from Senoia, GA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2001

Strengths:    Solid, solid, solid. Turns on a dime and gives you nine cents change. Suspension isn't too mushy even after 2 years and several hundred miles.

Weaknesses:    Stock set up. Cheap wheels, derailleurs, cassett and chainrings.

Bottom Line:
This is my 3rd review of this bike since March of 2000. As I live with the machine I'll update from time to time.
This is a great bike. No problems that I haven't been the primary cause of (derailluer smashing). The bike turns quickly, handles very well...just a good rig. It's not featherlite, but it's not super heavy either. I've cut some weight by adding carbon fiber and new wheels, but full suspension is going to weigh more than a hardtail; a small price to pay if it saves your bad back and knees.
I still love this bike after 2 years. I may have to replace the pedals in the not-too-distant future. Soaks up hits and shrugs off abuse like water off a duck's back. I highly recommend this bike. Properly set up, it's as good as the exotic, high-priced f/s bikes out there. Take time to get to know the bike and choose with care your upgrade components. Upgrade rule of thumb: spend a lot now or even more later. Take care of this bike and it will "love" you right back.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS 3

Bike Setup:   Easton CT2 flat bar and seat post. Bar ends, XT derailleurs,Mavic 517s w/ Chris King hubs
(still have stock cassett, chain and rings),
Michelin Wildgripper tires, CODA cranks, stock V-brakes
CODA 1000 saddle.

Submitted by Mike from Wisonson Rapids, Wisconsin, USA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2001

Strengths:    Great bike. Handles better than anything I have been on before. The bike has pretty much been stipped and rebuilt to lighten it. It is down to 25lbs which is great for a full suspension.

Bottom Line:
The super V 500 is a great bike as is. Lighten it up and you have a great bike that can do anything you need it to do.

Purchased At:   Fellow mtb'r

Bike Setup:   Coda cranks, pedels bars and bar ends. XTR hubs, bontarage valiant rims. XTR front SRAM 9.0 rear. Avid brakes. Ultra fatty DL with lockout fork and cane creek rear shock. Thompson post with a flite italia ti gel seat.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2001

Strengths:    The headshock is the tightest, smoothest, strongest fork in the world. And it's inexpensive and easy to upgrade. The frame is big and strong too. Swing arm is permanently tight. The Fox Vanilla works fine, when adjusted right. Make sure to get pro help on suspension set up or it won't climb well. After that it climbs great. And it's disc ready.

Weaknesses:    The rims suck! Better be careful what brake pads you use! The rear shock mounting bolts get loose way too easily. They require frequent re-torquing. Bar ends would have been nice! Shifting both the front and rear derailleur takes too much finger pressure, even when the cables and derailleurs are well lubed. What's up with that!

Bottom Line:
If you want a good bike to train on, keep up with the guys, and never have to worry about busting it, then this is the bike. The bike is immune to crashing. If you want damping up front just buy the hydraulic cartridge and slip it in. When you wear out the rims or derailleurs just buy better stuff and you will have an awesome bike. And it will stay tight forever. Try saying that about your 4 bar linkage rear suspension bikes! Garbage after 1 year! You can buy this bike and not want to replace it for a long time. If you race, go spend a lot more money.

Favorite Trail:   North Park

Similar Products Used:   Trek, full and front only suspenders. GT hard tail.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for bar ends, different tires and brakes.