Cannondale 1999 Super V 2000 Full Suspension Bike

4.23/5 (26 Reviews)

1999 Cannondale Super V 2000, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, CODA HeadShok Super Fatty SL fork

Submitted by YellowBird a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin, USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2008

Strengths:    Price for frame (in 2008!). Easy to build up. Super Fatty SL Headshok suspension - balanced and firm w/correct pressure for your weight. Fox rear racing shock - I keep it almost locked out, still a responsive, plush ride. TIGHT turning - flexible, strong frame (no "loose" riding).

Weaknesses:    zero.

Bottom Line:
I am one with the bike - The way riding should be.

Favorite Trail:   Sugar River

Similar Products Used:   1999 Cannondale CAAD4 F3000 hardtail - no comparison in riding satisfaction, except for the Headshok.

Bike Setup:   sram x.9 rear der., sram x-gen front der., sram pg970 11-34 cassette, race face turbine crankset, sram x.9 shifters w/avid sl ti levers, avid bb7 disc brakes w/xtr centerlock rotors, fsa carbon seatpost, easton monkeylite sl carbon low riser bar, ergon gr2 mag barends/grips, velocity aeroheat wheelset w/yellow rims, IRC mythos tires.

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Hutto,TX,USA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2006

Strengths:    Tight Geometry built for twisty singletrack,and rocky terrain,reliable suspension design,headshock fork tracks like a pirahna,

Weaknesses:    heavy even with upgrades,rear suspension tends to bob slightly(only really noticeable on the road)

Bottom Line:
A great woods bike,but not a great fireroad bombing bike. The same tight geometry,high bottom bracket,and short cockpit that work great in the tight and twisty add up to a handful on high speed runs. Still,for the riding I like to do it's probably the best bike I've ever ridden. Very confidence inspiring. And it looks good too!

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon,CA

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS-1,Cannondale F3000sl hardtail

Bike Setup:   Coda magic cranks,time pedals,xtr derailleurs,xt shifters

Submitted by Jorge a Weekend Warrior from HONDURAS

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2001

Strengths:    Great handling and aframe that withstands my 260 pounds, and it's awsome XT & XTR componentry

Weaknesses:    CODA brake pads don't last for more than 08 rides

Bottom Line:
It's a classic, and you don't want to get bored, stick to the ar spring rear shock....the rest is downhill!!

Favorite Trail:   EL HATILLO

Purchased At:   BIKE TECH - MIAMI, FL

Similar Products Used:   F-300

Bike Setup:   1999 SUPER V 2000....with a 2001 LEFTY DLR, downhill DX pedals...and HOT S MICHELLIN TIRES

Submitted by JC a Cross Country Rider from Weatchester,NY

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2000

Strengths:    This bike handles great around turns. Frame is lightweight, good climer and fantastic on those downhills.

Weaknesses:    rear shock bussings suck! coda components not worth having.
Headshock not reliable.

Bottom Line:
Good bike, you might need to change some stock parts if you want that extra edge. It's a great bike to start out with for those looking for a full suspension. This was my first bike with rear suspension and it made a world of difference. It's a bike worth having.

Favorite Trail:   To many to list

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz,Proflex

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Marzocchi superlite, Hayes disc full hydraulic,Mavic disc rims,Kore Elite stem and seatpost,Azonic risers bars and wildgrip tires.

Submitted by Yuri Cook a Cross Country Rider from Longview, Texas

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2000

Strengths:    This bike is agile in tight turns and over technical stuff. The front and rear suspension is well balanced and the rear is active while braking on technical descents. The cockpit seemed short at fist (the virtual top tube length is about an inch shorter than my Fisher Joshua, both medium), but the geometry adds to the maneuverability. This bike has definitely "improved" my riding by allowing faster recoveries and forgiving poor wheel placement. Again, balance and agility are excellent.

Weaknesses:    Poor quality calipers on the disk brakes -- they leaked repeatedly. There is a recall on certain serial numbers, but you have to check the Cannondale website. Customer service was lacking; they were rude and at first insisted that there was no recall despite the fact that it was posted. Then they insisted that I had to take the brakes to a C-dale shop. Even though I explained that the nearest C-dale dealer was over an hour away, they wouldn't exchange the calipers by mail. There's NO excuse for treating a customer that way, especially after he paid over $2K for your product. I've replaced the disks with V-brakes pending the disk repair. The single bolt seatpost is also a poor spec and won't hold my saddle level with hard riding. No problems with other components. Price of $2200-2600 is no bargain.

Bottom Line:
Good but expensive cross-country bike with a few poor specs -- brakes and seatpost. Well-balanced fully-active suspension. Fast and agile with a somewhat short cockpit --good for turns and technical stuff. I think riders who like rocky/rooty and twisting trails would be pleased with the ride; long distance riders might like a longer, more comfortable top tube length.

There is no excuse for treating customers poorly, if they pay this kind of money for a product -- or, actually, even if they don't. I like the Super V, and I understand that components sometimes fail. However, I will probably not buy another C-dale product simply because their customer service was so rude to me.

Favorite Trail:   Tyler State Park

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Joshua

Bike Setup:   Stock components with WTB saddle and XT V-brakes to replace defective disks (pending service). Looking for a seatpost.

Submitted by Yuri Cook a Cross Country Rider from Longview, Texas

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2000

Favorite Trail:   Tyler State Park

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Joshua

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Benicia, CA.

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2000

Strengths:    Very ridgid bike, considering it's a URT of sorts, it's unbelievable. Love the HeadShock ajustability.

Weaknesses:    I guess I wish it were a little lighter but it's about as light as can be. It comes in at between 26lbs. 15oz., to 27lbs. 2oz.. I can live with that. Although I keep my rear shock a little firm, it can be an unbelievably plush ride!

Bottom Line:
Great balance in the tight twisty stuff, great on technical climbs. The riser made the bike perfect for me. Bottom line: It has raised my level of riding and confidence. We have some very rocky MNT Bike parks around here, (like Skyline in Napa), and this bike makes it soooo much fun.

Favorite Trail:   Too many great trails to pick.

Similar Products Used:   Tried a few different bikes. A good bike is a quality bike that feels right to you, like they built it for you. No right, no wrong.

Bike Setup:   XTR fr/rr "D", brakes, pedals and hubs. Race Face drive train, Easton Monkeylite carbon short rise bar. Sachs grip, Kore Elite Ball Saver Stem. It works for me.

Submitted by Nathan Osbourne a Weekend Warrior from Greenville,SC

Date Reviewed: September 24, 1999

Strengths:
High quality craftsmanship! Attention to detail. Simple design that is tried and true!

Weaknesses:
Weight, bottle cage placement, and no unique selling point/target audience.

Bottom Line:
Excellent ride quality and handling. I've had the rapid shifters break and opptd to put gripshifters on it. This really allowed me to fine tune the shifting. The front air shock gave me some problems at the start, but the shop fixed the leak very quickly. The rear shock takes a little while to get set-up, but is worth the time and effort. Overall this bike is a great ride for it's price, durability, craftsmanship, and performance.

Tsali

1 Year

most full suspension bikes in this price range.

XTR/XT/Coda set-up with Sahcs gripshifters.

Submitted by Jim Arnold a Cross-Country Rider from Middlebury, Vt

Date Reviewed: August 27, 1999

Strengths:
Engineering

Weaknesses:
new technology

Bottom Line:
I did pay alot for this bike but also new I was buying new to the market componets Coda Disks Rapid Rise etc. So I did not expect to have the reliablity of my old 8 sp rapid fire GT Avalanche. It took me about 3-4 months to find the air pressures that work for me. And I still am experimenting. Any one who thinks they can get on one of these bikes and just ride forever guess again. I have a great GT I'll sell you since I never ride it. I think the supension is very responcive for XC. I did have the shims migrate on my Super Fatty but had the local Cannondale rep install the retaining clip modification while at a race in Killington's parking lot. Cudo's Rich. The brakes have been an evolving effort. When the work man are they sweet. But a different manufacture and compound are a big improvement. In the mean time Cannondale had worked with me supplying different pads and service at my LBS when he came through town. My only disappointment is with the Rapid Rise. I never got it dialed in. Changed cables and bent a couple of Casettes. I am biting the bullet and installing 9.0sl . Sorry for the lengthy post but these are my trials and tribulations. Would I do it again? Have you ever rode a V bike with disk brakes? You bet.

Snake Mountain, Sticks and Stones

6 months

Trek Y ,proflex,GT

Stock Fox Vanilla R and Coda Disks Only change shortened stem (original way to long form 140 to 120 on Large frame) and 747 pedals

Submitted by Jubbi a Cross-Country Rider from usa

Date Reviewed: August 10, 1999

Strengths:
Components, looks, not a bad design for the rear

Weaknesses:
head shock, frames

Bottom Line:
The cannondale Super V line is not so bad, like the Trek, Klein, Schwinn S-works lines (all amount to expensive seat post suspensions only). But the head shock is not as good as a K2 crosslink with smart shock. the crosslink is a single shock, electronic brain suspension. The steering of the head shock is poor compared to telescope forks, and much much worse than the best fork--the crosslink (IMHO). The cannondale also makes their carbon frames with an aluminum spine. K2 does it much better with all carbon. For the money, I would still go with something besides cannondale.Two chilies for not being a seat post susp. But expensive still for what you get.

all tech trails

tested or demo'ed only

Many full susp (k2, trek, specialized, schwinn, klein, cannondale, santa cruz--they're all mostly crap, except K2/Proflex)

Submitted by Micah Owens a Cross-Country Rider from SunValley CA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1999

Strengths:
VERY LIGHT WEIGHT, sits up nice and high for great climbing

Weaknesses:
THE STEERING IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST ON ANY BIKE MANUFACTURED OUTSIDE OF HUFFY AND MURREY!!!! It's handling must be improved in tight fast turns or someone will get killed.

Bottom Line:
The head shock design is hat kills this bike. The lack of ability to corner quickly outweighs any benifit derived from the reduced fork leg torqueng. Even with a conversion kit the steering wont improve due to the gap that will remain bettween fork and headset. DONT BUY THIS BIKE WITHOUT A SEROIUS LIFE INSURANCE POLICY

Porcipine ridge - Moab, UT

gary fisher level betty FH1

stock set up

Submitted by zip a Weekend Warrior from NorCal

Date Reviewed: June 29, 1999

Strengths:
No flex! light weight,(now) highly manuverable, great balance

Weaknesses:
none found

Bottom Line:
A fabulus riding machine. agile, quick, great geometry...for me! This is the best over-all bike I've ridden so far.

Tam Illegals

6 months

FSR, Joshua, Mantra comp, Schwinn

Submitted by Trialsins a Downhiller from _________

Date Reviewed: June 10, 1999

Strengths:
Great looks, Good riding position for trials , Strong rear end .

Weaknesses:
It broke on me .

Bottom Line:
Great bike while it worked . Great for wheelies and 5 feet drops . Rear end never flex , held up well . But while doing a simple nose wheelie oneday , the headtube downtube junction gave way .
Really sad ....... 3 chillies for its performance.

____________

Spin Wheels ,
Magura Gustav

Submitted by Rick a Cross-Country Rider from Doylestown

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff frame, isolates flex from the suspension
Gobs of smooth front end travel

Weaknesses:
not as plush rear end travel as some but thats the price you py for no rear end flex

Bottom Line:
This is the best all around MTB I have ridden. It is the best MTB I have ridden on the road and the best I have ridden off. maybe not as good as a few off road but all around the best CC FS bike on the market

High Rocks @ Ralph Stover State Park

2 Years

GT RTS-1 LTS-1 & 2

full XTR with coda 900 crank, spinergy wheels

Submitted by Michael Glasgow a Weekend Warrior from Purdue University

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
If you read my review later in this section I apologize. I was out of line, even if I don't like something i shouldn't trash it like that. Cannondales really arent that bad. I guess flunking out of Purdue and getting dumped by my girl helped me to get control over my anger. Sorry also to Jim Montgomery, I really do think he is a nice guy. Sorry!

any rail trail