Cannondale 1999 Raven 1000 SL Full Suspension Bike

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Cannondale Raven 1000 SL

Submitted by Clark from Castro Valley

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Strengths:    Lock out on front and rear suspension. Smooth travel. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Hard to carry... try walking across a bambo bridge carrying one. Pain.

Bottom Line:
The bike rips I bought it and took it to a race in Malaysia the bike ripped I have ridden it on a variety of terrain and find it to be a great bike. The only problem is it's non conventional body which posses a problem when you need to carry it and magnifies any noises the bike makes.

Purchased At:   Castro Valley Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll, S-works FSR, FSR pro, GT lts, Santa Cruz super light, Outland, Marin, and Haro.

Bike Setup:   Stock plus Thomson post, Easton bars and XTR cog.

Submitted by Lauren Cohn a Racer from Winter Garden, Fl USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2000

Strengths:    Black and sinister. Mean attitude. Shock Lock outs, Super V
taken to the next best level.

Weaknesses:    Chain line in low gears rubs the rear swing arm. Maybe
that's why it came with a 2x9 setup. Not bad, but noticable.

Bottom Line:
I've got 17 bikes. Marins, Fishers, GT's, Cannondales and a
Schwinn. RTSes, LTSes, S-20 etc. etc. I'm a semi sponsored
racer who races all over the country. Bottom line?

Whenever I want to ride into a mantra and forget everything
but the singletrack, I grab the Raven.

When I want the edge on the start line, a total black
Raven gives it to me, it looks tough.

When I think of the best all around bike that I own, it's
the Raven.

It's a little expensive, and there is the Cannondale
snob factor and other Cannondale idiosyncs, but I
deal with them as trade offs to the best bike ( IMHO )
on the planet.

Favorite Trail:   Too Many to list

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   www.contebikesflorida.com

Similar Products Used:   Super V's, LTSes, RTSes, S-20, Marin Nail Trail.

Bike Setup:   Monkey Lite Carbon riser, full XTR, Crossland wheels.

Submitted by Nigel Bourton a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight, ultra stif for a full susser, F & R lockouts for road links & climbs, looks fantastic!

Weaknesses:    No riser, no pedals on UK spec (may be a strength reading other reviews)CODA hubs not well sealed and OE hutchinson mosquitos not up to the muddy/ rocky trails of South Wales

Bottom Line:
Awesome trail riding bike, hugely competent on any terrain. Can't get over how good it is on loose, steppy and steep climbs - there are lots around here and nothing has beaten it yet. It is superb on singletrack and very chuckable. No problem with the 2 ring chainring set-up - I just completed a 100k marathon with out missing the granny.
Took a while to get the setup just right on the rear shock - check out foxracing.com for set up and mtce tips. Lost the rear wheel(hub included!) very easily, the radial lacing X225 rim isn't up to hardcore rocky DH and CODA Expert hubs are fragile - bearings are u/s on the rear and front need regular greasing - next upgrade is Hope front.
Overall a great bike for trails and XC,although the longer travel option of the SX models is a must for serious DH action - beats hardtails at everything and beats Heckler for weight easily.
Sooooo much grip - it shouldn't be legal!!

Favorite Trail:   Black Mountains

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Specialized FSR xc comp

Bike Setup:   Ditched the hutchies for Tioga Factory XC's - awesome grip! Profile carbon fibre DH riser, Easton CT2 carbon fibre post, Hope Ti-Glide rear hub laced to X517

Submitted by Jonathan a Cross-Country Rider from Angwin, CA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 1999

Strengths:
Light 24.75lb size Large
Stiff
Ability to lock front and rear
good handling

Weaknesses:
slightly squeky pivot
(may need to be lubed?)
Stock tires are for looks!

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome. It is light and fast. Enough travel for me to get over drop offs and rough X-country terrain. Stock tires are very light but don't have enough traction for step sections. The frame or maybe pivot has started to get a little squeky. I think I need to regrease or something? Frame seems very stiff.
On steep climbs the rear does slightly move but it isn't bad, it actually helps me get up rough routed sections, downhill the rear is very active at keeping me in control. I was worried that only having two chain rings might hurt me on the up hills but fortunately, it hasn't yet. I usually ride fast enough not to use the granny. I highly recommend this bike. I rode a Santa Cruz Heckler on trails for about 4 hours. It is also a great bike. But it can't compete with the price/weight of the Raven. This bike only weighs 24.75 pounds!!! That is as light as many hardtails! By the way I got mine for $1935 at helen's bike shop in Santa Monica, CA
email me and tell me your story.
jwruminson@puc.edu

3 months

Specialized fsr xc
Santa Cruz Heckler

Stock raven 1000sl, except I changed tires to the IRC claw comp

Submitted by Jo Jo a Cross-Country Rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: September 26, 1999

Strengths:
only 2 front chain cogs for decreased weight....or that could be a weakness....oh yeah, the frame is pretty good too.

Weaknesses:
Bad colors...

Bottom Line:
I just ordered this bike in, it should be in in 3 days, cant wait...ifigured id start a review string for it now.

Loch Raven, Patapsco

less than 1 month

Schwinn Mesa GSX

stock, changing to FireXCPros or Tiogas, different handle bars, and bar ends...all i can think of now