Caloi 2000 Sport-FSK Full Suspension Bike

Weight : 28.50000 MSRP : $549.00

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Shimano Acera components, RST 281-TL, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by Michael from San Antonio, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2000

Strengths:    great y-shape design that's what first attracted me to this bike, rare find, it does come with good long lasting great gripping tires! The only real strenght it has upon purchase is the frame. To become a ridable bike the components must be upgraded. The best point is that if the frame breaks they will replace it with a current model for a $150. That sold me.

Weaknesses:    The components this bike comes with are not suitable for mountain biking. It is necessary to immediately up grade the rear derailer at the very least. I am not even a very aggressive rider and I have had several problems shifting & losing the chain. I shouldn't say at this point that the frame is week, but I bent the rear drop out the second time I rode it. I didn't even realize that I had hit a log. I admit this is my fault, but it certainly didn't take much to hurt what I thought was going to be a bomb proof bike.

By the 2nd or 3rd ride the cranks were creaking, again this just appears to be a sign of a cheap bike. I realize that $600 is not much to spend for a full susp. bike, but I would hope it would hold up better than it has.

Finally, the more I ride this bike the more I like it and the more the kinks get worked out. Luckly I get a great deal of support from the shop I bought it from. Another reason to buy a Caloi.

Bottom Line:
I will have to write another review after I have riden this bike a little longer. For right now I am still on the fence. Definitely a beginner's bike and is compared to the giant full susp.