Barracuda XXFX Full Suspension Bike

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)
Weight : 35.8 lbs MSRP : $2299.95

• V-Type Monocoque Easton Elite Aluminum DH Suspension Frame with Cane Creek AD-10 Rear Shock
  • Bullet Zzyzx Double Clamp Fork
  • Hayes 32H Q/R Hubs, Hydraulic Disc Brakes & Levers
  • Sizes: S, M, L, X, L

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Brad from San Diego

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2002

Strengths:    Price, don't think I'm going to break it. Stratos rear shock kicks. Some other nice bits of kit; XTR, Hayes, Azonic, feel like I got a good deal overall.

Weaknesses:    Adrenaline bikes; super friendly salesman, super-low levels of integrity common to this part of the world. If it wasn't for Adrenaline Bikes I wouldn't be having such a fat time right now but that dosen't excuse the fact that my bike took six weeks or so longer to deliver than they assured me. Did I mention that they have no one with any riding and/or mechanical knowledge anywhere near their shop? I asked for the optional three rings, they dumped some (no profanity may be used) cross country cranks on for me, thanks champions. My bike also came with two straight, tight spokes, derailleur rubbing in the spokes, loose BB and a foot-long stem (on my medium?). As for the bike itself, apart from the problems caused by Dodgy Bros. Bike Shop, it had more nasty stickers than a rednecks pickup, pretty average colour scheme and I'm looking forward to replacing the horrible looking, skinny, heavy crap built wheels (Hayes hubs excepted, they're great).

Bottom Line:
    You know I wanted a Bullit but being a couple of thousand dollars short, wanting didn't get me far. Obviously I didn't have a good experience with Adrenaline Bikes, enough said. If in the same situation again, I would suffer through it yet again just to own this bike at this price. I have never had so much fun with clothes on. Can only compare it to many dirt bikes I have ridden and a few tanks I was lucky enough to grab a ride on. This bike is sooooo confidence inspiring, I didn't know I could ride that well! My little wife hasn't ridden a bike in twenty years, jumped on this beast and took the straightest line down any run with no fear and a big grin, I have since picked her up a sweet little Mongoose Pro trailbike, largley due to her experiences on my Barracuda. Have read mixed reviews on my fork, I've been really happy so far and know I will be even happier when I get the upgraded damper fom ATC. I've never hucked so I'm not a "freerider", I try to ride to the top (yes it hurts!) so I'm not a downhiller, I don't shave my legs or wear lycra so I'm not one of them but considering all that, I'm having a ball riding my toy everywhere I can as hard as I can. The frame is so strong I've found myself playing chicken with trucks ...and winning. If I ever run too hot anywhere, those disc brakes bigger than any Harley's slow me so quick my eyeballs hurt. It's a bit heavy to seriously ride distance, I suppose you'd have to expect that from a bike sold as a DH rig, I'm going to throw some decent, lighter rims on it to combat that. Save yourself a few pounds by taking a few of the billion stickers off. If it weren't for the terrible service I recieved at the hands Adrenaline Bikes and a couple of weird spec'd parts I would give this bike top ratings in all respect.

Favorite Trail:   preferably lycra/poser free

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Have been riding for a while, wish I could tell you all the hot bikes I've owned but I haven't got that sort of money and in all truth this is the best bike I have owned/spent a lot of time on.

Bike Setup:   Had to change stem, cranks, grips. XXYZX forks. Had to change tyres to suit SoCal conditions. Already mentioned all the other sweet bits.

Submitted by James Durr a Downhiller from Ca

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2000

Strengths:    string, stiff, four bar link, disc( Hayes only), made in USA

Weaknesses:    color, rear frame is too small, Disc(hayes only), no v brake available, The Brand is not famous, and I heard that there isn't any manufacturers company any more. So no warantees!

Bottom Line:
    This bike is awfully fun in many DH ride I gone so far, since this bike was size M and I'm only 5,8 it kind of difficult to handle in sharp curves. I'm glad this bike could adapt to 3 chain rings, tis benifits me because I ride it to everywhere with it. This is not a pure DH, it is more in a freeride bike. This bike concentrated more to the DH side becuse you can't really climd high hills because of it's weight. So if you don't really want a pure DH bike because you want to ride to places in the city but you also want to have DH rides, this is probably the beat bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   Mamoth