Barracuda 2001 Cuda Cat X XC Full Suspension Bike

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by ted a Cross Country Rider from portland, or

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2002

Strengths:    Durable - even for a clydesdale like me. It just keeps going no matter what I do to it. Handles well, but not the best climber. Downhills are under control and it's always comfortable. Shifting and braking are good.

Weaknesses:    It's a little heavy, but if it wasn't, I probably would have trashed it by now.

Bottom Line:
If something happened to this one, I'd look for another just like it.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   stock parts except wellgo clipless and wider bars (personal preference)

Submitted by Jeremy a Weekend Warrior from Toledo, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    Good, well made Catamount frame
Good mid-level parts package
Comfortable ride - good performance
Extremely good price

Weaknesses:    Barracuda out of business

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike - worth much more than the asking price- get one before they are sold out. Great riding bike, I have taken it out and tested it quite a bit - same frame as the Catamount, which is a great, underrated bike. Climbs just as my hardtail - much more comfortable ride. Don't dismiss a URT bike because of what a magazine says - there are alot of people out there riding URT's because they fit them - not the testers. Check out the Rocky Mountain Pipeline, which got great reviews. It is a URT bike that is very current - and it's a great bike. I will enjoy mine for a long time, and for the first time in a long time, I'm not thinking about my next bike, I'm enjoying the one that I have.

Favorite Trail:   Pinckney - Poto