Balanced Audio Technology 2001 FS Pro 750 Full Suspension Bike

Submitted by William Hilow a Downhiller from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2001

Strengths:    You gotta be kidding me. This company has been out of business for like 7 years. I know I own a 750 FS-pro 1994-5.
When I first bought it the thing raged. I had a friend that had a Canondale Same year. People actually like my Balance better. On the positive. Active suspension. Rearend dug into hill climbs like a wildcat. Support was great at first. one phone call and the reps would inform ou on how to modify travel. Good looking bike.

Weaknesses:    1)Cost, but hey back then real working suspension was a novelty, they could charge ewhat they want.
2)Weight, the thing weighed in at 49.98lbs. A tank for sure.
3)Longevity, After almost 7 years the thing is beat down. there is so much slop in the rear suspension that pedaling up a hill is torturous. It sags, squeeks, groans, flexs. Originally it had about 2" of travel. Now when seated it has about .5" The rear elastomers have all split and the skewers broken. The front shock, originally a Beautifully machined Manitou Sport with the smoothest action of any shock I have ever ridden was supplied. It went uot with the trash after about 2 years. I originally bought an upgrade kit for it to boost travel to 3". Swingarm connection to bottom bracket is toast.

Bottom Line:
I still have fond memories of bombing Northstar on that thing. It was a cross country bike that because of its weight was a good down hiller with little travel.
If anyone knows where to get a rear shock rebuild kit, swing arm rebuild kit for this thing let me know.

Bill Hilow
706 30th Ave
SF, CA 94121

Favorite Trail:   Marin Headlands

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Shop Carmicheal, CA

Bike Setup:   Totally stock.
Lx 7spd group. Various Zoom and "off brand" components throughout. D-wall Arayas. Looking back I would have been better served buying a decent hardtail frame.