Aeon Joker Full Suspension Bike

4.63/5 (64 Reviews)

Full suspension freeride, 6" rear wheel travel, extruded aluminum front and rear triangles.

Submitted by James from Eleele HI

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2003

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    it freakin' breaks

Bottom Line:
I've now gone through 3 swingarms in 2 years. This is totally unacceptable. I pound the snot out of my Turner taking it off multiple 10-15 footers on a bi-weekly basis for almost 2 years and not one problem with that frame. My joker is my trailbike never seeing more than 5 footers and it still breaks. The guys at Ellsworth know it's a problem and they just don't care. Their answer to me on how to keep it from happening was to pay $835 and get the newest model. Nice answer after I just paid $1300 to get the stupid thing 2 years ago. After I told them that they told me to just sell it on E-Bay if I didn't like it. They suck and so does the Joker. I've got a friend who goes off on his 4 year old Iron Horse G-Spot and hasn't broken it. Many friends have Bullits with no failures. Don't believe the hype, Ellsworth just buys a bunch of add space which is why they get all the good press. Those who ride do know - buy something else.

Similar Products Used:   Turner RFX

Submitted by James Wilson a Weekend Warrior from Eleele HI

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Weaknesses:    Sold through Beyond Bikes(those guys suck), 2 broken swingarms.

Bottom Line:
2, count them 2, broken swingarms in less than a year. I was assured that I was recieving an updated swingarm after my first one broke and almost hurt me(luckily it was only a 4 footer). Turns out they lied and sent me another swingarm from the same batch. Since I don't trust something that has broken once I check my welds regularly and low and behold, not 7 months later the swingarm is cracking in the same place. I return it to Ellsworth and that's when they tell me that they didn't send me the most recently updated swingarm last time but they would this time. Once again, I receive a swingarm with welds that looks exactly like the 2 before it that broke. The newest version has no welds for the reasons I listed in my review below but I guess 2 broken swingarms doesn't warrant special attention and the absolute best they have. This is a bunch of crap. Plus, I've seen better paint jobs on WalMart bikes. It's embarrasing. And before anyone writes this off as some joker who can't ride, I also own a Turner RFX. I ride that bike into the ground and have not had one problem from that frame. A 10 footer to flat killed my Stratos fork and Fox shock but couldn't phase my frame. My Joker is my backup bike, being ridden less than 50 times before the replacement swingarm broke. This is totally unacceptable and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this problem. Ellsworth obviously pays for a ton of ad space and must bro out the editors of mags because their product sure is sub-par but they get great press. Turner doesn't buy a bunch of adds, puts out a much better product and yet the mags barely mention them. Things that make you go hmmmmmm. Buy a Turner and don't fall for the hype.

Favorite Trail:   none on this bike

Similar Products Used:   Turner RFX

Bike Setup:   I own a Turner baby;)

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Boulder

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2003

Strengths:    Great all-around frame
Shot peened finish
Customer service
Efficient climber / Great descender
Simple and versatile

Weaknesses:    I don't have the laser etched graphics
Some brake jack / Slight bobbing - Typical single pivot issues

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for 2 years now and I really can't say anything bad about it. I have 2 wheelsets and 2 shocks for it according to my mood. I can't even count how many long trail rides it has been on. Same goes for urban stuff. I'm suprised at the swingarm problems people have been having. I weigh 185 and I've done several 6' drops to flat without any problems.

Bottom line, Ellsworth puts out a great product and more importantly they stand behind what they build. I've toiled with selling it a few times because of my love for getting something new. Thankfully those thoughts pass each time I throw a leg over it.

Favorite Trail:   its a secret

Purchased At:   shop deal through Ellsworth

Bike Setup:   Z1-QR20, 519's w/ king hubs -or- Azonic Butcher's w/ oynx hubs, Romic -or- AD-10, Hope XC-4's

Submitted by James Wilson a Downhiller from Eleele HI

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2003

Strengths:    Pedals well for a freeride bike

Weaknesses:    Broken swingarm, sold through Beyond Bikes

Bottom Line:
What can you say about a bike that snaps practically in two off a 4 footer? I spoke to Tony Ellsworth himself at Interbike about the problem and here was his response - "It seems the guys welding our swingarms together would sometimes not reheat their torches to the correct temp after a cigarette break or lunch so 2-3 swingarms in every batch didn't have the same structural integrity as the others." The problem was so bad they redesigned the entire swingarm for '03 so there are no welds. So if you have anything but the '03 Joker it's Russian Roulette as to whether your swingarm is a weak one or not. I've relegated to Joker to backup duties since I also have a Turner RFX(the ultimate freeride frame bar none) but it's sad that Ellsworth can't assure me that my bike won't break. Not good for a "hucking bike". Buy and use at your own risk.

Favorite Trail:   The Bunny Trail

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Stinky's, Turner RFX, Bullit's, etc.

Bike Setup:   '02 Super T, Race face cranks, hayes disc brakes, etc.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2002

Strengths:    Strong frame, stiff swing arms, no flex frame, good climber. Fox Vanilla RC is plush and responsive.

Weaknesses:    Kinda heavy but I'm a stronger rider now.

Bottom Line:
As promised, this is another update to previous reviews:

After two years of riding, the frame has held up beautifully. The swingarm is still stiff with very little trace of flex, going up or down, the Fox Vanilla RC is still plush and responsive.

With 6" travel, yes, it will bob but it's MUCH less than you'd think. And this bike climbs very well- much better than the ProFlex which has 4" travel. Every capability of the ProFlex has been increased w/ the Joker. It inspires confidence to ride harder and take more chances. Go on, it can handle all you can dish.

I am able to pick some very choice parts to keep it at 30lbs. I've taken it to a couple of downhill races and it has survived Pisgah intact. The frame is certainly worthy.

Favorite Trail:   Anything outdoors

Purchased At:   Local shop- frame only

Similar Products Used:   ProFlex Beast, Schwinn HT

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z1 in front.

Submitted by Luke a Cross Country Rider from Pekin

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Strengths:    Lifetime Warranty.

Weaknesses:    It breaks.

Bottom Line:
This is actually my FOURTH REVIEW. However, only my first review is still active. The bike performs like no other. I can not say enough for Ellsworths customer service. I've broke several, as in multiple swing arms. On one ocassion the collapse of the swing arm damaged the front triangle, yes Ellsworth replaced the entire frame. Let me add, that I am severely ground bound. I don't attempt large drops/hucks.

The bad part, things break. Yeah their service is great, but why bother selling through a dealer if you won't warranty a frame site un-seen? When you take your car in for warranty work, do you have to wait for the manufacturer to OK the OBVIOUS break before the work is done? No. The bike industry is no different. This bike cost more than what I currently owe on my car. Being off the bike for weeks at a time b/c of a manufacturing defect stinks. But compared to other companies service and warranties, Ellsworth still is on tops.

Bottom line, I just bought an ISIS for the wife.

Similar Products Used:   GTs: LTS's & I-drives (yeah, knowing where I'm from, I bet you can guess where I bought this.

Bike Setup:   XTR, RaceFace NorthShore DH ISIS, King HS & wheels, Hayes Hydros, Jr. T, the works.

Submitted by CJ a Downhiller from BC

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Strengths:    Simplicy of design, warranty, light weight

Weaknesses:    Stength. Weak rear end, Stratos shocks (blew 4 of them), long wheelbase and top tube for respective sizes. Feels like a 3 inch travel bike.

Bottom Line:
Worst waste of Money on a bike ever. Might be OK for light duty high speed crusing but as a BC Freerider no way. If you have this much $ buy a Four bar link - Norco VPS, Brodie or Intense. They all kick major Joker butt. If you must go single pivot get a Bullit.
I sold the Joker. I now ride a VPS fluid and put some JR-T QR20's on it. No comparison, it rocks! It instills confidence and doesn't flinch at 6ft plus airs and was waaaaay less $ for a better spec. The Joker only felt good on fireroads and climbing. Take it tight steep trails and just shake your head in disgust. I riden tougher XC HT's After blowing 3 rear shocks and one front and a broken swingarm I sold it. In my opion Ellsworth is overselling this bike. They do make a great XC bike though if that's what you want.

Peace.

Favorite Trail:   Lakeside, Rossland

Purchased At:   AIRBOMB

Similar Products Used:   Lots. Norco VPS, Kona Stinky's, Bullit, Brodie Diablo

Bike Setup:   Stratos FR-4 then Z-1 fork, Stratos DH rear, Hopes,D321's, thompson, race face .....

Submitted by Greg Johnson a Downhiller from Lewiston, ME US

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2002

Strengths:    Solid construction , Quality shock (Vanilla RC), Handling traits , Awesome paint scheme (British Racing Green)

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I chose this bike over a Bullit , and the Balfa 2step. It was a great choice . The suspension is terrific for urban abuse , and light dh/freeriding. I recommend it to anyone looking for a quality , solid frame from one of the best names in mountain biking!!

Favorite Trail:   ANY!!

Purchased At:   Pedal Power

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   JR.T , Hayes Hydr'os ,MRP , XT Drivetrain , Maxxis treads ,Kore ,ect....

Submitted by Esteban Rappido from Dagojuana

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Strengths:    After 1300 miles, no breakage or maintenance at all has been needed.

Weaknesses:    Nada.... well maybe the way the oversize frame/swingarm is kinda easy to bounce radar off of.

Also, be careful of who you order from if your'e buying online. Just 'cause MBA takes their ad $ don't mean they
are your friends.

Bottom Line:
this is a great bike from a great company. As my main trailbike, I can ride just about anything up or down. Quite amazing how a 29 lb. single pivot coil-over can climb so well, but it does.
Buy this bike if you, like me, are on the larger and stronger end of the spectrum, and especially if, also like me, you lack finesse or even skill in your riding style.The Joker is a fine Skill Substitute.

And regarding the comments in other reviews about Ellsworth customer service, I must be talking with a whole different set of people. They have been way more helpful with me than any mere bottom-line-only business op would dictate. Ellsworth Customer Service is solid!

Cinco Chingados del Fuego!!!!

Favorite Trail:   La linea

Purchased At:   YouDontwannaknow.com

Similar Products Used:   I have tried virtually all long travel full boingers .

Bike Setup:   01 joker w/ Fox RC, MCR, easton, thompson, etc............

Submitted by howorth a Weekend Warrior from O.C.

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2002

Strengths:    Solid Frame, awesome pedal geometry, this bobs less than my 4 " xc Specialized bike and climbs better. Nice finish.With Lifetime warranty I could not pass it up! Good BB height no more bashing pedals.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness is when guys post stuff on here promoting a different brand because supposedly the Joker couldnt handle a 4 footer. I think Manufacturers reps should pee off!

Bottom Line:
This is the ultimate rig for what I do and that is pedal to the top and bomb down on any line I want to take. This thing is like a couch, just eats everything up!
Even with a cheapo Manitou fork I am carving down hills that just flexed my Specialized.
The Bike Company in Lake Forest do a killer job on building your frame and excellent service, go see them if you are upgrading from xc weight weenie land.

Favorite Trail:   Trabuco going down of course

Purchased At:   IE/Bike Company

Similar Products Used:   2002 Bullit, 2000 Enduro Pro

Bike Setup:   2002 Joker in Slime Green wi Fox Vanilla RC Hayes,mavics,northshore FR cranks, Manitou Super Xvert
(upgrading to Fox 125mm) Titec,Thompson Stem/seat post

Submitted by magu a Weekend Warrior from vallejo, ca. usa

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2002

Strengths:    Uphill, downhill, freeride, payride, good multi-purpose vehicle

Weaknesses:    NONE (so long as my swingarm doesn't break like my fellow jokesters)
Well actually the decals look too fancy schmancy for a bike that's BAD ASS.

Bottom Line:
So far so good. Handles the same way my ISIS did (which was very good) but with MORE TRAVEL!!!! I'm still able to ride uphill and I'm finding myself picking different lines because I know that my Joker can handle it. Going downhill is much more satisfying than it use to be. If you're looking for a bike than can do everything than definitely keep this in mind.

PS-if you're in ISIS/JOKER limbo either get the ISIS with the option to install a bigger rear shock or just go with the Joker. I can almost guarantee that if you get the ISIS, you'll be looking for more travel eventually.

Purchased At:   kalomtb

Similar Products Used:   aeon isis

Bike Setup:   m-zaki z1 freeride, xt d-rails, sun RYNO lites, heemano hydro discs

Submitted by James Wilson a Downhiller from Kapaa HI

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2002

Strengths:    Inexpensive, climbs well, light weight

Weaknesses:    Swing arm strengh leaves much to be desired, sometimes when you land the rear feels a little harsh

Bottom Line:
This is actually a follow up to a pevious review. I'm here to tell you that the swingarm does break eventually and when it goes it goes big time. I have a 15 foot gap jump and a 6 foot drop to semi-flat set up in my back yard that I hit for giggles daily and my trails boast 8-10 footers so maybe lack of sick air why the gentelman below hasn't broke his yet because I certainly do not "need to learn to ride". The crappy part is this is my back up frame that only sees action when the mood strikes me so it doesn't see daily abuse like my Turner RFX (which hasn't even thought of breaking). The folks at Ellsworth told me that swingarm failures have been a problem and they are currently using a reinforced internal sleeve when welding it together so hopefully the problem will be solved because having your bike break on a mear 4 footer is a little unnerving. Luckily it wasn't on the Devils Diving Board or some other sick drop or I might have been hurt. Just be careful and check the welds for cracks often.

Favorite Trail:   Koke Rim Trail

Similar Products Used:   Turner RFX(the ultimate freeride machine), Kona Stinky

Bike Setup:   Z1 up front, Race Face cranks, various odds and ends as this is my back up frame and light freeride bike.

Submitted by jason a Weekend Warrior from boulder, co

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2002

Strengths:    STRENGTH TO WEIGHT RATIO
EXCELLENT CLIMBER, BUDGET LIGHT DOWNHILLER
VERSITILITY OF BUILD OPTIONS: XC 4", FREERIDE 6", ECT.
ELLSWORTH NAME AND SERVICE
QUALITY OF FINISH(ALMOST SCRATCH PROOF)

Weaknesses:    BROKE PIVOT BOLT (ALUMINUM)I OVERTIGHTENED IT. ELLSWORTH REPLACED WITH A STAINLESS BOLT.
BOTH SHOCK MOUNT BOLT NEEDED TO BE TIGHTENED AFTER EVERYRIDE. WHICH YOU SHOULD DO ANYWAY BUT MY ENDED UP BENDING. * SEE BELOW FOR FIX.
FLOATING REAR DISK OPTION?

Bottom Line:
I RESEARCHED BIKES FOR 5 MONTHS BEFORE DECIDING ON GETTING THE JOKER. BEST DECISION I COULD HAVE MADE. I HAVE BEEN NOTHING BUT HAPPY WITH THIS BIKE. I DO A LOT OF NIGHTIME URBAN RIDING DURING THE WEEKDAYS THEN TURN AROUND AND TAKE IT TO THE HILLS FOR LONG XC RIDES. IF I COULD ONLY OWN ONE BIKE (UNTHINKABLE) THIS WOULD HAVE TO BE IT.

FOR THOSE THAT ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE SWINGARM BREAKING, FORGET ABOUT IT. I DO 6' DROPS TO FLAT ALL THE TIME AND I WEIGHT 190. IF SOMEONE TELLS YOU THEIR SWINGARM BROKE EITHER THEY NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT OR LEARN HOW TO RIDE.

* SHOCK MOUNT BOLT FIX: I NOTICED A LOT OF PLAY IN THE BOLTS AFTER EVERY RIDE. I REPLACED THE ALUMINUM METRIC BOLTS WITH STANDARD 1/4" STAINLESS STEEL BOLTS. NO FRAME MOD REQUIRED, YOU JUST HAVE TO DRILL OUT THE SHOCK MOUNT INSERTS WITH A 1/4" BIT. THE 1/4" BOLTS ARE ONLY SLIGHTY LARGER (APPROX. .5MM DIA). ITS WORKED PERFECT SINCE.

Purchased At:   shop purchase

Similar Products Used:   GT THIS, SPECIALIZED THAT AND CANNONDALE WHATEVER.

Bike Setup:   01 JOKER SL, MARZ Z1 QR 20, HOPE DISK, AZONIC RIMS, AZONIC 454 CRANK, AZONIC DW BARS, RACE FACE SYSTEM DH...

Submitted by chris from bethlehem, PA

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2002

Strengths:    Just that - strength; the attention to detail and machining on this frame are top notch; incredibly solid. Beautiful anodized finish and laser etching are sweet, the THE chainstay protector is nice looking and very thick.

Weaknesses:    Need to put more time on it in the saddle - or, probably not in the saddle, but with my butt hanging over the back end, bombing down some hill - smiling all the way

Bottom Line:
Bottom line - see above, the few rides on this bike so far have been convincing - very solid, confidence inspiring, zero bob (and i'm a solid 195lbs) but very plush feel. I will update once i have really put this to the test and some of the snow clears.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast and tricky

Purchased At:   JB Mountain Bikes

Similar Products Used:   I owned primarily lightweight XC racers till now - cannondale, sweet carbon fiber fisher, giant. So, i researched heavily since i was finally making the switch to full-sprung. I have ridden the lighter, racier models like Sugars and Fuel - nice bikes, but i want no flex and confidence barreling down hills - therefore, looked at Santa Cruz (like rest of the world) which are very nice, but the Ellsworth was more solid, life-time guarantee, and just looks awesome.

Bike Setup:   Thomson post/stem, hayes hyrdraulics, XT drivetrain, race face cranks, titec bar, SID fork (soon to be marzochi), and Vanilla RC

Submitted by shaums from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Strengths:    Looks pretty nimble, paint is almost scratch proof.

Weaknesses:    lots: big swingarm issues (as in: they break...easily), frame is too light weight for hard core dh-ing.

Bottom Line:
This ride is weak. First of all, paid far too much. Second, the swingarm was hangin by my chain (literally) after a pus*y gap. Climbs ok for a 6" travel bike, although I wasn't absolutely flabergasted like they said I would be (about climbing). My old Bullit climbed better I thought, which I stil have by the way...and still in one piece. You guys save some notes and stick with what works. Go buy a Bullit.