Aeon Isis SL Full Suspension Bike

4.9/5 (31 Reviews)
Weight : 5.25 lbs MSRP : $1395.00

Full suspension, XC, 4" rear wheel travel, shot peened and anodized finish, Ti hardware.

Submitted by mike johnson from raleigh nc

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Strengths:    tough, ugly, know one knows what it is, its a do all bike
up and down the hill this bike will take care of you

Weaknesses:    zero

Bottom Line:
take this bike out and ride it like its your last ride.
XC, freeride, dirt-jumping, the bottom line is FUN thats what i get from this bike

Favorite Trail:   river of tar

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   Dirt-Jumper-2 Fork, Bontrager Wheels, FSA pig Hedset
XT drivetrain, TIoga tires & red meet

Submitted by Alex Mattingly a Downhiller from Benicia,CA,Solano

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2002

Strengths:    when set up for drops and jumps with a 40mm stem and a 5" travel fork it proforms graet. when trying to climb like this it doesn't do to bad if you jack the seat up. graet slalom bike with this set up. raced downhill and slalom at sea otter this year with the bike and it did fine.

Weaknesses:    bottoms a little much on big hit

Bottom Line:
great trail and jumps/freestyle bike

Favorite Trail:   Rockville

Similar Products Used:   V-10 M1

Bike Setup:   startos, fox vanilla fork, salsa rims, wyaless 40mm stem

Submitted by Jay a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff lightish and a single pivot

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Seems better than the Heckler for Stiffness but bobs more on climbs and cable routing is a bit pants.

Also a bit slack with Z1s but thats my fault.

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes

Similar Products Used:   Heckler for the last 3 yrs

Bike Setup:   Isis Sl, Fox Vanilla R coil over, Z1 freerides, XTR, Middleburn, Raceface, Hope, Mavic and Tioga

Submitted by ED-E a Racer from Fairfax

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2002

Strengths:    Descends like a cheetah & eats up everything in it's path. Climbs muy excellente. Oh so plush. I was very surprised how this bike climbs for a full suspension, almost 100% solid power transfer while climbing. Handles very well in steep rrrroooty/rocky descents.Very pleased with the single pivot design. It's simple yet oh so effective. Nice clean look/finish. BB is high-good for clearance over obstacles but...

Weaknesses:    High BB makes de bike a little tippy. More travel in the rear would be nice. Longer chain stay protector to frotect from chain slap.

Bottom Line:
I've had the bike for about a month now, and everything's going great so far. I will write a follow up as I get more riding time on de bike. It's a great bike, but pretty freakin' pricey. It's worth it if you want a single pivot that can rock out on single track, and will climb like a goat, and you have some extra money and can't afford a freakin' Truth. I however, have no money left, and live in a cardboard box because the price of this bike. You do get what you pay for. Ellsworth customer service was great. They called just to see how it was riding. Awwww. Ellworth en la casa!(Ellsworth in da house!)

Purchased At:   Galyan's in VA

Similar Products Used:   As far as other suspensions with dif designs-Gary Fisher Sugar 3, Schwinn Rocket 88

Bike Setup:   Zoke Z2 Atom 80, Cane Crik AD-12,XTR front rear(long arm) D & shifters, Tru-Vativ cranks, Time Atac, Avid levers & Arch Rivals, Thomson stem/seatpost,Rhyno-Lite rims/XT hubs, Hutch Alligator Golds, monkey bars

Submitted by Davo a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor, Mi

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2002

Strengths:    This bike does it all, it climbs well, descends like a dream and doesn't induce the bobing in the suspension like most other single pivots that I have ridden...this is a dual suspension bike that rides very similarily to a hard-tail...if you are a larger rider (I am 6'3 225lbs) this is the bike for you

Weaknesses:    Yeah right!

Bottom Line:
The Bottom line on this bike is simple...I was concerned about making the switch to a dual suspension bike. I thought that most four-bar bikes and the Superlight for that matter were not stiff enough for the kind of riding that I enjoy, all of my doubts of dual-suspension were put to rest the minute I casted my leg over the top of this trusty steed...ride arn...

Favorite Trail:   Poto

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Turner Burner XCE, Santa Cruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   XTR, King, Thompson, Hope Minis, Fox Vanilla RLC 125mm

Submitted by Traci S a Cross Country Rider from Chula Vista

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Strengths:    A great "fit", comfortable, sweet climbing, plush descending, in-control ride, fabulous warranty, great customer service

Bottom Line:
This bike was a real step-up for me. I went from a Trek 6000 into the Isis SL. As a woman, this frame was a great fit. Very comfortable. After 2-1/2 years of beating myself up on a hard-tail I really appreciate the plushness of the Isis. It has helped me ride better, more in control, and has given me the confidence to try some of the more difficult trails. The warranty is outstanding.

I had great results with Ellsworth customer service as well. I was undecided between the Santa Cruz Superlight and the Isis. Jody at Ellsworth was great at promply responding by email and phone calls to my many questions.

Mission Cyclery in Bonita, CA is where I purchased the frame. A fantastic group of people there!

Favorite Trail:   Otay Lakes Single Track

Purchased At:   Mission Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Demo'd the Santa Cruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   17" medium frame (black anodized), SID XC Air fork, Fox Float R rear shock, XTR derailleur, XT Cranks, Magura hydraulic brakes, Mavic wheelset

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2002

Strengths:    Beautiful fit and finish (shot peen anodized black/silver), lateral stiffness, weight, geometry

Weaknesses:    Maybe price, but you know that going in. However, it's no more expensive than a similarly finished Santa Cruz Superlight.

Bottom Line:
Only 3 days old, but already having fun. Will provide more detailed review after more significant use. FYI the 21"/XL frame built up with coil/oil front and rear, mech disc brakes, 2.3" tires, and platform peds weighs "only" 28 pounds per the scale at my LBS. Feel free to e-mail with questions. Giving it a 5 for both Value and Overall. Big ups to the fantastic folks at Speedgoat for quality advice and great service.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Prior/familiar bikes: Jamis Dakota HT, '00 Specialized FSR XC, '00 SC Heckler

Bike Setup:   21" Isis SL frameset, Romic coil-over shock, Fox Forx Vanilla RLC (100mm mode) other standard issue high-end goodies.

Submitted by Bubba the "Great Ryder" Gocong a Weekend Warrior from Lancaster, Ca, US

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2001

Strengths:    Comfy, Good Climbing, Design, Reliability, Weight.

Weaknesses:    Its my bike, dosent have any. Neither should yours...;]

Bottom Line:
Well for the "bottom line" I would say, this bike makes me ride faster then I normally do, it makes me a lot more comfotable then I would feel on a hardtail, which was my previous bike. On downhills it's clean, negotiates and transitions better. The lockout on the rear shock is especially helpful on uphill riding, but in ruddy uphill situations I prefer to leave the lockout off. The Isis turns well, and glides easily. Plus the warrenty on this bike kicks the rocket into space.

Favorite Trail:   Big Bear (Grand View/Summit)

Purchased At:   BeyondBikes.com

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension, but have tested (Santa Cruz Superlight)-(Kona Stab, Stinky)-(Cannondale Jeckyl)-(Specialized FSR)
Stinky, and Superlight.

Bike Setup:   Front Half ;] hehehe
All XT-Comp Groupo//Race Face-HR//Thompson-Stem//Chris King//Zokie Z1 MCR//
Back Half hehehe
(MOST IMPORTANT THING ON THE BACK HALF SO ITS MENTIONED ALONE ;]) Rear Shock-Fox, Float RL W/ Lockout
Mavic 517 Blk
Scheme
Black Ano

Submitted by scott wallace a Weekend Warrior from tacoma,wa

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2001

Strengths:    climbs great,flies downhill,no flex at all.

Bottom Line:
just read what everybody else is saying about this bike. build it as light as you want or trick it up for more aggresive riding. the frame will go either way. plus what other company is going to call you to see how you like your bike?

Purchased At:   beyondbikes

Similar Products Used:   fsr,klien,santa-cruz,kona

Bike Setup:   Z-1,raceface cranks&bar,xt-xtr drivetrain, hayes stoppers,
thompson post,bontrager saddle, mavic wheels.(you get the picture)

Submitted by Todd a Weekend Warrior from colorado

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2001

Strengths:    frame , shock , no flex in swing arm , durability , looks , design .

Weaknesses:    had swing arm warranty , but ellsworth took care of it quick , they sent me a new swing arm free of charge.

Bottom Line:
this is the best single pivot bike on the market, it climbs better then my hard tail did and it is great on the down hills. very nimble . i ride over stuff i would never have ridden over on the hard tail. i like it more and more every time i ride it.

Favorite Trail:   front range

Purchased At:   hammerheadbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   titus loco-moto . fisher sugar. racer -x

Bike Setup:   cane creek AD-12 , xt drive train ,richey head set ,x-vert super ,avid brakes , easton cully pedals , bontrager super stock rims ,panaracer fire xc

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Akron, OH USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2001

Strengths:    Strength, rigidity, handling, descending and climbing ability, and of course looks

Weaknesses:    chain rub on swingarm, but the frame now ships with a guard, and it only happens when you cross the chain, so it's no big deal.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to build a strong trailbike that would be simple, and could handle anything I could throw at it. That's exactly what I got with the Aeon. This bike is incredibly simple with the single pivot design, but works amazingly well. The suspension is very efficient, and handles pretty much whatever comes its way. It truly floats over the rough stuff and lets you concentrate on just going faster. This bike has definitely made me a better rider. Even with the setup I have with the 5" marzocchi, I can pick my way through climbs better than on my hardtail. And once the trail turns downhill, this bike really performs. It feels light and nimble and goes wherever you tell it to. And feels comfortable at speed too. This bike is the perfect trailbike, and I can't give it anything but 5 flamin chilis.

Anyone looking for a solidly built, fairly light trailbike should definitely check out the isis sl.

I also have to say that I could not have come up with a setup this great without the help of Beth and everyone else I talked to out at Speedgoat. They gave me help with everything I asked about and did a great job building it as well. I will never buy a bike from anywhere else!

Favorite Trail:   Potawatomi

Purchased At:   SPEEDGOAT

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z1 MCR, Raceface cranks, xt drivetrain, mavic 517's laced to xt hubs, time carbons

Submitted by Roger Louton a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR USA!

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2001

Strengths:    Climbing, descending, carving, flying,etc...

Weaknesses:    Chain slap on chain stay when in the Big Ring at about 40 MPH.

Bottom Line:
Don't delay, get one today! If you already own one, quit grinning and get out and ride! Also, Ellsworth is dumping the 'AEON' name, so after Jan. 1, you can call and order the new stickers shown in the latest catalog.
As for the chain slap, either buy a new carbon fibre-lookin' guard from Ellsworth, pry the old one off, and apply the new one, but move it back 2 inches on the chain stay. No worries about the finish getting buggered up now! I just wish the Ellsworth people would smarten up and do this from now on! They claim there is no 'problem'.
I often wonder if I shoulda spent a few more hundred $$$ and got a Truth, but now that I have put 900 miles on this baby, I'm glad I got this one! Less pivots to wear out, great handling plus it look damn sharp in silver!

Favorite Trail:   Larch Mtn., WA

Purchased At:   T&E Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Redline Pro-line hardtail

Bike Setup:   Race Face all over, Fox Vanilla Float R, Manitou Mars Elite. About to update shifting to SRAM 9.0, new wheels and Hope Mini's.

Submitted by Peter McCann a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2001

Strengths:    Strength (and stiffness) to weight ratio, performace and efficiency.

Weaknesses:    Rear deraillier hanger tension screw stop is too small to work properly with XTR (e-mail me if you'd like to know where to buy an aftermarket hanger).

Bottom Line:
After nearly two years of thrashing this bike in places like Moab and Durango, my riding continues to become faster, more aggressive, and better in technical proficiency due in large part to the confidence that this bike inspires. I am a vet rider (since '82 on fat tires), and am still surprised at what is posssble on this bike. It climbs, turns, stops and goes faster (and with more control) than anything I've ever been on. I have tried both the Stratos and Fox shock options, and the Fox wins hands down due to better damping characteristics (=plushness). When I speced the build of this bike, I wanted an all-round bike that was light enough for the occaisional XC race, yet designed to handle big hits and fast, tecnical descents. Once I dialed it in, the bike completely surpassed my expectations in every area. I will NEVER go back to a hardtail. It seems that a couple of other companies are selling very close copies (imitation is the most sincere form of flattery), but none have matched the build quality AND lifetime warranty of this bike. Dollar for dollar, it's the best bike of its' type (possibly of any single pivot, period). I've had the opportunity to ride with Tony and his crew, and they are great folks both in and out of the office. I'm getting ready to go from a 3" to a 5" Zokie, because this thing loves to go fast ANYWHERE. Ride on!

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock

Similar Products Used:   Super V and Raven II - Both crap!

Bike Setup:   King, RF, Thomson, Zokie, XTR

Submitted by Keif Roberts a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2001

Strengths:    light, no paint to get scrached, nice colors to choose from, and this year they put Ellsworth on both sides of the bike in big lettering. Very pretty bike. Congrads to the Ellsworth team.

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike on the market. If you can go get one. I have no complaints about the bike so far.

Favorite Trail:   all of em

Purchased At:   airbomb.com

Bike Setup:   Isis sl, fox float R, z3 QR20 forks, hope mini disc brakes, ect....

Submitted by KYLE AUSTIN a Cross Country Rider from SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2001

Strengths:    Everything! Takes jumps and drops so smooth and still climbs like a raped ape. The anodized finish is virtualy scratch proof.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This bike is unbelievable. Of course the bike descends good, thats why I went with a FS. What amazed me was how well it climbs! Definetly climbs better than my 23 lb hardtail ever did. Stiff and flex free, no mushy suspension bob. A little stiction in the AD-12 for the first couple rides but now pure nirvana, im glad I chose the cane creek.

Currently weighs 25 lb as built, but fells lighter. The bottom line is you go faster up and down. I use the brakes much less now. The bike just flies over the rough sections and lets you pedal across rough sections that would have torn me a new A-hole on my old hardtail.

Perhaps the biggest strength of the bike is how much you dont notice it. It just floats underneath and does its thing while the smile on your face just gets bigger as you go faster and faster.

Will update after more time on the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Canal Loop

Purchased At:   Beyond bikes

Similar Products Used:   GT i-drive, Canondale jekyl. Numerous hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Cane creek AD-12 shock, Manitou x-vert super, monkey light riser bar. Lots of XT and XTR stuff.