Kona Cowan BMX Bike

• Pedals: Kona Jackshit
  • Freewheel: Shimano HG 50 11-32 9 speed
  • F/D: Cowan/Jackshit Chainguide
  • R/D: Shimano Deore LX
  • Shifters: Shimano Deore (right side only)
  • Handlebar: TruVativ Hussefelt OS Riser
  • Stem: TruVativ Hussefelt OS
  • Grips: Cowan Signature
  • Brakes: Hayes Hydraulic HFX-9 XC
  • Brake Levers: Hayes Hydraulic HFX-9 XC

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by makarewicz a Weekend Warrior from canada

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2008

Strengths:    the geometry of the frame.
    somewhat easy to throw around

Weaknesses:    i dont like ANY of the stock parts

Bottom Line:
    i guess the bikes alright, the only thing i have stock is the frame right now...

Favorite Trail:   ...

Purchased At:   skookum

Similar Products Used:   kona scrap. 04

Bike Setup:   hayes 9 6"brakes.
    white deity stem and bar(oversized)
    white syncros FR wheel set.
    white DMR V8 pedals.

Submitted by max a Racer from uk

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2007

Strengths:    everything gears brakes frame

Weaknesses:    none i found yet

Bottom Line:
    exilent bike i would recomend this bike to anyone one of the best bike i have ever owned great for comptition

Similar Products Used:   cowan specililized hardrock sport

Bike Setup:   all standered ecept i got fox forks with more travel

Submitted by paublo jungles a Weekend Warrior from alabama

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2007

Strengths:    THERE ARE NONE!!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    First jump the THE TIRE POPPED!

Bottom Line:
    THIS BIKE SUCKS!

Favorite Trail:   local jumps

Purchased At:   my friends house

Similar Products Used:   trick bikes mostly all i use

Bike Setup:   all stock

Submitted by Rob Allerston from Cheshire, England

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2007

Strengths:    Sweet geometry, Hayes brakes, looks great in Orange!

Weaknesses:    Kona front hub, Truvativ BB, machine built wheelset, aluminium frame for DJ

Bottom Line:
    · This was my first DJ bike. I've used it to go from small tables, to doubles that you can comfortably backflip, therefore this bike has great sentimental value. However, would I recommend that you buy one - probably not. If you're spending this kind of money, I'd recommend building a bike to your specific requirements to overcome the componentry shortcomings.

· The front hub was made by Kona. The width of the spoke flanges meant that the spokes rubbed on the brake calliper. Not good. It helped by using a disc spacer to move the disc, therefore calliper away from the spokes. The clearance was still tight so I ended-up changing the front hub.
    · I’m guessing that the wheelset is machine made as the spoke tensions were all over the place. I buckled both rims before I realised this and tensioned them correctly. I could never keep them straight, so eventually built a new wheelset.
    · Truvativ bottom brackets are rubbish. The original one lasted 8months. I bought another Truvativ BB(to fit the crankset) and it lasted only a couple of months. Ended-up with a Saint crankset. Seems pretty good so far.
    · And the big one – I was coming-up short on high double, so I ditched. The bike and I landed separately but I cracked my shin on the toptube and dinted it! A bruised skin and dinted frame! That’s what you get by using oversize aluminium THIN WALL tubing to make Dirt Jump frames. They look good and can be lighter than steel but they can’t take the bumps and knocks. I’m about to buy a steel DJ frame. It’s a trade off, next time I’ll have a bigger bruise but I won’t be throwing away a £500 frame. Aluminium is fine if you expect to never (or rarely) crash. In DJ, crashing is inevitable. Even when you’re really good, you may crash rarely but when you do, it will be a big one! Buy a steel frame.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere for DJ

Purchased At:   Online dealer

Similar Products Used:   Kona Coiler Dee-lux, Giant ATX

Bike Setup:   Single speed, short bars, Halo SAS - rear wheel, Mavic325 rim / Hope Bulb hub - front wheel, Saint crankset with Slim Jim pedals

Submitted by fishbowl team a Weekend Warrior from new zealand

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2007

Strengths:    This great bike has everything,has a good frame 90% of the parts are top of the line. Comes with one of the best hydrolic disc brakes you can get. perfect for someone that is keen to get out there and go hard. will stand 6ft jumps. trust me. good shocks. probley the the best bike you can get for what you pay for it. all the parts are reliable

Weaknesses:    hard to say. maybe the gears. but not really.

Bottom Line:
    a very good buy. will take anything you through at it. durable. very good components. good bike made by a great company. good frame design. if you were to buy you wouls not bedissapointed. it is the best rigid frame kona makes.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   everyehere

Purchased At:   My dad's work

Similar Products Used:   gt chuker 1.0, 2.0 stp, stuff, sher, scrap, stab surpreme

Bike Setup:   pretty good. angles are perfect. good centre of cravity.

Submitted by Kevin Williams a Weekend Warrior from new zealand

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2007

Strengths:    everthing. comes with hayes 9. marazocchi dirt jumper 2. deore shifters. chain giude frame is very good to ride. would reccomend to antone

Weaknesses:    nothing.

Bottom Line:
    the best bik ein the world.

Favorite Trail:   woodhill

Purchased At:   bike barn

Similar Products Used:   sherd dtuff chucker

Submitted by Chuck Kane a Weekend Warrior from Boston

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Strengths:    Frame is incredibly strong. I can't imagine being able to break it.

Weaknesses:    The rotors were a little warped so there is a slight rubbing or wobble when the brakes are applied.

Bottom Line:
    I ride pretty much in the city. There is a street park not too far from where I live so I have been there a few times and I have also been down to some loading docks. I have hot a couple of drops with the largest being about 6 or 7 feet. I think I will break before the bike ever does.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Street series and KHS DJ Series

Bike Setup:   I bought the bike used on ebay from a shopowner. He built it up for a friend who didn't end up buying it. It is a 2004, 15 inch frame, marzocchi z1 freeride fork, hayes 9 disc brakes, and an azonic wheelset.

Submitted by jake from ?

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2006

Strengths:    It is light, real good forks, nice handlebar bend, good for the money,basicly everything is good

Weaknesses:    Not the best dirt jumping around frame not the best

Bottom Line:
    It is a good bike its like good forks and other components are good quality. Good for the money. Not the best frame not rigid enough(maybe its not aggreaaive enough but I don't know how geometry work).the frame doesn't seem to have a low center of gravity ethier. My specialized p.3 is 4 pounds lighter than my friends stuff so I don't really know how much lighter if the cowan is than the stuff. the stuffs frame size is medium and I don't know the size f my p3 but its pretty much the same as the stuff.
    Good bike but I don't really like the frame as much as some other companies like sanacruz and specailized for dirt jumpers.