Kona 2001 Big Kuku BMX Bike

Submitted by Mo a Weekend Warrior from Cambridge U.K.

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2005

Strengths:    This bike is strong, really strong. I've just found out they dont make 'em anymore which is a real shame as with bikes of this quality Kona should have gone far.

I've never had another BMX so i cant say anything about how it rides in comparison, i just know that for me its sweet.

Weaknesses:    Lack of a front brake mount on the forks for me was well annoying. I ended up buying a DNA brake adaptor kit and drilling through the forks to get it on! Reason? The rear Tekro brake isnt that smart and brakes onto a painted rim!
I ended up in some hairy situations where brake fade made stopping quickly nearly impossible, so you need that extra brake power, bike is lot better behaved as a result.
I've read a lot about the bars being too wide. I guess they are and I may get around to changing them but for now they are ok.

Bottom Line:
Very cool bike that i'm a bit protective of now i've found its the last of the line!
basically its strong and takes abuse and most of the components are great straight out of the box. If you find one you'll probably end up changing out the bars. Also Bars as they are have cheapo crome finish that rusts.

Im a bit of beginner so not all riders will find the lack of front brake a problem, but it does improve handling no end. If you do find one though make sure you stick some decent pads on the rear brake and get all the paint off the braking surface.

I bought this bike in Europe so paid a bit of a premium on it but for U.S. dollar zone customers its a cool buy.

Similar Products Used:   I run a couple of Kona MTB's with custom setup

Bike Setup:   Mostly Stock. Added front brake, Snafu seat post holder for a bit of bling.

Submitted by Zack from Western Mass, Massacuhestts, USA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2005

Strengths:    Very strong frame, comes with a very strong component selection, 3-piece chromoly cranks are the stiffest ive ever ridden. Strong wheelsets as well.

Weaknesses:    Bike is rather long and akward feeling at first. Needs a new set of bars... they are enormously wide and you cant really cut them down because U shape of the bars is whats wide. Change them

Bottom Line:
Good bike (too bad they dont make them anymore). I built up some jumps the first year I had it and did some jumping and its a wierd feeling to get used to but its nice once you get used to it. The bars sucked but after Kona stopped making their bikes I pretty much gave up BMX now i ride downhill MTB and do some dirtjumping on the MTB but if you can get your hands on one of these or any kona BMX bike do it because they are very strong frames and I can imagine they will be worth quite a bit someday

Favorite Trail:   Backyard