Home | Reviews | BMX Bike | GT

GT 1999 Pro Series BMX Bike

1999 GT Pro Series, BMX

Submitted by brodie75 a Weekend Warrior from Moore, oklahoma Good Ole USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Strengths:    I love that is a light weight bike. Very fast. Smooth looking handle bars. A real nice look. The way a BMX bike should look :)

Weaknesses:    Not all products are perfect. So i must reply to this one. I am replacing the crankset on it. The driver side crank, pedal stripped out. Not a big deal since it's seen its share of hard work.

Bottom Line:
I have put about 120.00 in the bike. My bike is a 1999 GT Racing Interceptor. With the help of AL's Bicycle Shop (S OKC)trueing up the rims and helping get the right bearings, it is great. I spent time with my son on it and you know what product you have and it's potential. And all under $250.00. I am very happy. It is 85% original. Not a beginners bike. I reccommend 10 years and older.

Favorite Trail:   Around the neighborhood

Purchased At:   local pawn shop

Similar Products Used:   GT Mach One. Is the only product close to it. That I can think of.

Bike Setup:   basic BMX set up. Chrome H Bars, Black forks Black,gray, yellow 4130 frame. X rims By Alex 6061-t6 406x24(FR and BK,TMC chain, 44t blue Gt chain ring. getting new Crank set. Very Nice TekTro Linear Brake set up for the back. Stops on a dime, I weigh 200lbs. Man-O-War Handle Grips(The Best) and Pedals (:(). I will replae he pedals if need be I personally don't lopke them. But that's all we had at the time. No biggie. All new nuts and bolts.

Submitted by none none a Weekend Warrior from none

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2004

Strengths:    lots of stuff

Weaknesses:    well,. the bars, grips, crank, rims kinda

Bottom Line:
i ride street, do large stair sets, land on flat, eat sh!t, bike got a lil' squeeky and rims bent, ALOT, crank seems ok. frame dented a lil' but overall is a good bike, but dont go too hardcore on it

Favorite Trail:   street

Purchased At:   garage sale

Similar Products Used:   i only had this bike

Bike Setup:   stock exept for bars, i got knesavers

Submitted by john r from houston, tx US

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2002

Strengths:    nice looking, big, great overall feel

Weaknesses:    sheap heatset

Bottom Line:
recommend this bike for anyone who has the chance to buy it.

Purchased At:   100

Similar Products Used:   dyno vfr

Bike Setup:   When I purchased the bike, I just bought the frame for a hundred bucks. Then, I added the GT sealed 48 rims, the handlebars and fork from my Dyno VFR. I then purchased a GT piston seat clamp, a GT staight seat post, a gel seat, some off brand tires, an Aheadset headset, a GT piston stem, some odyssey brakes, a GT one piece crank a freewheel and a KMC chain.

Submitted by jay a Racer from canada

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Strengths:    allaround awesome needs good bars

Weaknesses:    bars and wheels

Bottom Line:
awesome supped up

Purchased At:   john henry

Similar Products Used:   all kinda crap

Bike Setup:   all modified

Submitted by Mike AKA: "Mad Dog" a Racer from Marietta, GA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap Price
Light
GT Parts which don't really need to be upgraded
Wheels rock the house!

Weaknesses:    Brakes suck crap and need to be replaced
Tires should be replaced with Maxxis or something better

Bottom Line:
The GT Pro Series represents a good value. I bought a used one which made it an even better deal. The brakes are crappy and I am upgrading to a nicer set of V Brakes soon. In addition, the tires wore out fast and I am about to put some Maxxis Holly Rollers on it because they are new and supposed to last longer than the GT ones. This bike is relatively light for so many 4130 parts and other metal GT goodies. I think the GT one piece cranks are just fine. In fact, I have owned many 3 piece cranks before including Profile and Diamond Back models which cost many times more and don't perform much better than the cheap one piece GT ones. After all my upgrades, I will have less than $200 in this bike which beats buying some of these overpriced department store bikes with two ton parts sprinkled throughout the lineup. I am looking for parts to upgrade on my GT Pro Series and have had considerable problems looking for much better parts that are good quality. I like the GT pro handlebars as I am a tall rider and need the larger size. The seatpost is kind of crappy because it seems to shift out of place to easy. I have had to tighten the bolts beyond belief and there is still some play. (This maybe the only other part that I upgrade in the near future)

Similar Products Used:   Diamond Back (turbo hary leary & formula one), GT Mach One, Schwinn Predator, Hutch Pro Racer, GT Pro, Hutch Comp,

Submitted by robert a Racer from clackamas, oregon

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2000

Strengths:    if your looking for a dirt/racing bike, look no further, this bike has taken 2 years of dirtjumping, and it hasent flinched!

Weaknesses:    stock forks, toss those before you hurt yourself. rear wheel, but ive had the front for 2 years now.

Bottom Line:
nice bike for the money, just give it a FSA pig headset, some new forks, and go nuts at your track!

Favorite Trail:   myne

Similar Products Used:   you name it

Bike Setup:   all and all, ive put over 1k into this baby.

Submitted by Rich a Weekend Warrior from Norman, OK

Date Reviewed: December 29, 1999

Strengths:
Sealed bearing hubs nice wheel set This is the same wheelset as the Team series bikes. The steel frame is tuff and lighter than some aluminum bikes in the same 300 to 500 dollar price range.

Weaknesses:
needed 3pc cranks and chain tensioners.
...the 2000 model gave up the top end wheel set and threw in the cranks and tensioners.

Bottom Line:
If your're going to complain or give props to a bike/product, you should spend more that a few rides around the parking lot with it. My bike rocks! I meet alot of riders who have ridden my bike that say It feels just as good as their $1000.00 bike. The only difference is theirs is lighter.

1 Year

All kinds......I work at a bike shop.

Stock except for Crupi chain tensioners
ACS Claw, and Ouri grips.

Submitted by Wade a Racer from Tallahasse, FL

Date Reviewed: September 5, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
everything

Bottom Line:
Yeah, I was reading back there on Diamondback Assault and one guy said that Diamondback bikes suck well you know what I've tried this bike and I think this is alot worse than that D-Back and I don't even own a D-Back!!!!!!

Lake Hama 59

tested or demo'ed only

tried 'em all

what????

Submitted by robert a Cross-Country Rider from clackamas, or

Date Reviewed: August 21, 1999

Strengths:
med stiffness rearend, good chainring, brake lever, arms. fairly strong bars.

Weaknesses:
weak rims, but i can bend any rim you throw at me. forks will bend (bow out)within a year, HANDGRIPS wear out FAST, they are just too thin!! think about that mr.GT, NEEDS SEALED BEARINGS!!

Bottom Line:
i own a 98 version, and its the best bmx ive ever ridden. good price for a good bike, you wont break the frame in a month like most al bikes out there. mines white, and it looks awsom. buy the pro series, or power 3.0, the 3.0 has a better frame.

any bmx track

1 Year

sgx, fatboy(tank!), and various others...

i usually ride hard air pressure when im street riding, but for offroad, bumpy, i will run softer

Submitted by someone a Racer from somewhere in the rainbow

Date Reviewed: June 15, 1999

Strengths:
The frame is pretty nice geometry, it's a light chromoly frame and has BIG hubs!!!

Weaknesses:
The frame flexes tooo much for a chomoly frame and my aluminum frame is stiffer!!! The hubs are unsealed, the bike is a rip off for 350$!

Bottom Line:
The bike is light but weak and flexes, low end components!

stoneridge

tested or demo'ed only

Mach one, intercepter

huh?

Submitted by Jody Smith a racer from Cali, SC USA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 1999

Bottom Line:

The `99 Pro Series is a great bike. It is a strong bike for racing but also it`s o.k. for jumping. It`s a good bike to start out on for a reasonable price. I would definately recommend this bike to anyone who is into BMX or racing.
Jody Smith