Free Agent 1999 Raceway BMX Bike

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

1999 Free Agent Raceway, BMX

Submitted by Risky Business a Weekend Warrior from BROOKLYN, NY

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2001

Strengths:    Strong Chromo frame, fork, and 3-pc cranks. Tons of CNC'd aluminum parts, including platform pedals, a hammerin' stem, and RED Shimano DX linear pull brakes and lever that look great with the Black and Yellow paint job. Wheelset has shimano single-speed casette and SUN Rhyno Lite rims. Stock tires have served me well on the tarmac, and the saddle is thin and sleek, embroidered logo and boasts "Kevlar." (I can't figure out what part of the saddle is kevlar or why kevlar in my saddle is beneficial, but overall I felt like I got a good deal).

Weaknesses:    The seatpost sucks. No detangler. Long wheelbase makes it hard for the smaller rider to get the rear wheel up when jumping. Oversized BB shell may be considered undesireable for advanced track racers.

Bottom Line:
The Raceway is a slick BMX racer that manages to harness the strengths of it's chromoly construction so efficiently it easily convinced me that it could survive any dirt-jump or street thrashing. Unfortunately the wheelbase is too long for me and makes the bike difficult to command. I can't say that I've given it a proper thrashing. Riders 5'8' and taller might be able to give the bike a better test of it's capabilities on the jumps and handrails. I also live in the city and haven't been able to run this baby in a moto, but it's been really fast on the street and I can't wait to race it!

Purchased At:   Larry and Jeff's Bicycles Plus, NYC

Similar Products Used:   Crappy old Mongoose and GT production bikes with a custom ACS Z-Roller wheelset.

Bike Setup:   BMX racer.

Submitted by Jay Big a Racer from Alburcurque

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2001

Strengths:    strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    dosn't have a gyro

Bottom Line:
its an awesome bike

Favorite Trail:   love all of them